Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
In the game's credit, I love an actual, lengthy manual.

But come on, I'm 16 pages in, and it's pretty clear the thing was barely proofread even by an amateur. I don't get it - grognards are so loving whipped they would do stuff like that for free. Or they could, you know, like give someone with an English degree the game for free for doing it.

Why do they fall down on such easy things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

I think the bigger problem with the manual is that after 16 pages you are still reading the developer's fanfic.

I'm a sucker for "In the grim, dark future there is only war," stuff.

I only wish in the grim, dark future, they did not confuse "where" with "were."

The manual as a whole is a noble effort, but just poorly written. Enough so that it is helpful, but bad enough so that things are actually confusing to a degree.

I hope the game menus, etc. don't suffer from the same occasionally inscrutable writing/design.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Squiggle posted:

As near as I can tell, every ounce of text was written by Victor. I kind of pray it gets some passes from native speakers...Decisive Campaigns at least has a historical context to corral the writing (and had a second person responsible for most of it anyway), but with the sci-fi setting and RPG elements of SE he's kind of unfettered.

Yeah, that's normally what a publisher does. In no way would I blame someone who is writing in a non-native language for this.

I would, however, happily blame someone who gets money for publishing a polished product. I know, I know, queue the "labor of love, Matrix only makes $.50 total on each title they publish,' responses.

Well, enough bitching about the manual from me for the moment. It sounds like some people really do love the game, which is the main thing.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I know, right? The Dominions 3 + manuals were all written by somebody who just loved the previous games, and those things are god's greatest manuals.

Yes! They should be studied and emulated as great manuals, I agree.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Started the game. Immediately realized that I wanted to change some parameters and restart, and laughed when I realized literally can't find out how to exit the stupid game short of Alt-F4. The escape key, which is kind of the default "pop up the general menu to save, exit game, etc." does nothing.

EDIT: OOOOOH, found it, in the Preferences menu. Naturally. :)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 6, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Yeah, this is fairly inscrutable to me. A lot of things that just aren't intuitive.

I make what I think is a regular independent unit, but suddenly have like 7 new icons in my city?

I see little special icons on various hexes, but have no idea how to figure out what they are (like what's the little heart icon in a circle, etc.).

A ton of icons have no tool tips, so I'm making decisions and have no idea what +8 to hammer and sickle is supposed to mean.

Seems like there is a lot of game here, but it's pretty hard work figuring it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Is there a current good tutorial series or advice on how to get started on this? The manual is kind of terrible broken English. I read the OP, but a lot of the links are old, and I know that much of the game has been updated or changed since the links posted there (it hasn't been updated in 4-5 months).