Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Only had a chance to roll up a planet and play one turn and I can already tell I am going to love this game. Excited to get in on some MP and do terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Speaking of figuring this out, is there any tutorial series that aren't DasTactic? I'm working through the manual and doing a lot of trial and error but having this condensed somewhat would be great.

As far as I can tell your options are watching Das fumble through the game for a few hours, or spend many more hours watching Grey play. Everything looks like an early look or a lets play. I was going to be buying this game day one because of how much I have enjoyed all of Vic's previous games, but this content sure did get me fired up for the game. I am not a content creator, or an expert at Shadow Empires yet, but I would be happy to talk through my high level understanding of any concepts that you are struggling with, and maybe could write up some text/image guides for some of those game concepts?

Also, just hop on the discord and ask in the shadow empires channel.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Re-Urbanizing the Wasteland
The economy of Shadow Empires is broken up by the concept of Zones. A Zone is the area you control around a city. While you can get fancy and create new zones based around any asset far enough away from one of your existing cities, and I think colonize new cities, for the start just think of zones as something around the city you started with and all the cities you have conquered rescued from savagery.

You can only have one city per Zone, and these cities are the engine of your economy. A critical concept to master in Shadow Empire is how to pump up the population living under your iron fisted control and thriving in your cities. One of the most effective methods to do this is to control the tiles containing Free Folk settlements and make sure they are part of the zone of a city you control.

Here you can see the Free Folk settlement of Gandy is within the zone surrounding my city York. If you select (left mouse button, in any order mode) any of the seven hexes that make up the York Zone here on turn one, and then look to the bottom of the UI you can see more detail about this zone. Make sure you have the Zone tab selected, its the left most tab, and will show the name of the currently selected Zone. When you have more than one zone on the map, you can left click on a hex in a different zone, and the info in this tab will swap to that zone.

Something you will have to get used to with this game is that everything is 3 or 4 UI layers deep, and is also context sensitive. But don't let this daunt you, the game will let you get a long way through without actually having any idea what is happening or how anything works. But when you are ready, or need to trouble shoot something all the detail in the world is available to you once you learn how to find it.

While I have you here the ugly mug on the left is the Governor of York, the button Call will bring up a menu where you fire them, or change the policy for the zone. The button labeled Strat is a shortcut to play a Stratagem card with the governor as the target, you can also accomplish the same task by opening the stratagem menu, but with all the procedural generated names and horrible monster faces it can be a challenge to play these cards against the right character.

Now what is even less obvious right off the bat is that the 9 boxes in the middle are clickable sub-menus, although the "Big Town (III)" being highlighted in red should have been a tip off to me, it wasn't and it took me forever to find some of this information when I started playing. So if you click any of these things you will get the detailed info panel for them on the left, and it will hide the monster face from you, although now that I look at him Perry Betelgeuze is actually about the most handsome one i've seen so far, but if you hover your mouse over the button you get different information in a tool tip.

In this case we have clicked, and are looking at the tool tip for the Population tab. The tool tip is showing us the details of why our population change was 0 (the blue equals) last turn. So two of the kinds of "item" that a Zone can have in its inventory are "Workers" and "Recruits" generating either will cost 1 unit of Population per unit of Worker or Recruit produced. Workers are a resource used to pay the upkeep cost every turn on Assets (they are not consumed), Recruits are an ingredient in producing military units (they are consumed). The rate and details about how to produce Workers and Recruits from your Population are on the Zone policy page (remember the Call button on the Governor?).

So by default when you start the game your Governor will have your starting zone set to try and recruit 500 Population into Recruits every round. And as you can see from the tool tip, our Population is only growing by 200 a around by ahem "natural" means. If we didn't have another source of people the Population of our city would be dropping, which might make our goal of world conquest a little unsustainable.

Luckily, the people of Gandy have realized that York is the place to be and are moving there. I don't actually know the details about the rates at which people will choose to migrate to your city or anything, but the basic idea seems to be pump up happiness, get assets in your city that increase quality of life, and they will come.

On the bottom UI if you select the Assets tab (2nd from the right) you will see all the buildings that are in this Zone. There is a color code here, the grey tiles (High Command I) are "Public" assets, meaning they are under your control. The brown (Dome-Farm II) are "Private" assets, and they are owned by the Population of the city. The gold tiles "Gandy" are "Hex Features" of which a Free Folk settlement is a special kind, the Power Plant tile is in York as you can see by the little circle on the York tile that is hidden by my units in this picture. If your Zone has any "Rural" (as opposed to "City") assets they will also show in this page, so as you develop your zones with mines and truck stations and everything this list can get quite long.

Clicking on the name of any of these Assets will bring up a detailed view with more information.

So with all that said, the next step in this round is clearly to liberate Moascon, so that we have another source of Free Folk migration into York.

Hopefully this was useful in anyway.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
So I know where to find the chart of model types that you have discovered/researched in the management tab. Does anyone know where you can find information about the different OOB types that you have discovered but not yet operationalized? I have guesses about what these OOBs will be based on their names and the graphic that pops up when you get the idea, but I wouldn't mind being able to look at the details of the different options before I invest a bunch of turns trying to make it available.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Generation Internet posted:

I think you can just click on the non-operationalized ones in the formation overview tab to see what they'll be?

:negative: Found it, "Formations Type Overview" in the reports tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Not 100% sure of the formula, but my understanding is that attack is modified by the ration of weapon to armor caliber. So 20mm weapon against 100mm of armor has a penalty to attack chances being multiplied by one fifth.