Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

what do the council settings at game start do?

Council unlocks various function in your government. For example, without economic council you can't discover and research economic related tech tech. Without model design council you can't create new unit model. Most councils have multiple functions though, like economic also handles finding resource deposits in your zone.

I think the bigger problem with the manual is that after 16 pages you are still reading the developer's fanfic.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Do I need to build replacement troops to reinforce losses?

Are milita spawned for free from zone militancy or does it takes up resources that can otherwise go into private economy?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not having any metal deposit sucks. I've captured 3 zones and can't find a single metal deposit. You need it to make unit, you need it to build building. Right now metal cost over 5cr per unit. Oh and some raider keep crossing this huge wasteland to raid my PoI every few turns and it's rear end to hook up the area with supply so I can post units there without starving to death.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone found that force march and blitzkrieg posture don't really work? For force march your unit will suffer readiness penalty which more than eliminate the AP bonus (actually looking at the tooltip I can't even find the AP bonus in the AP breakdown). Same thing for blitzkrieg, it doesn't seem to give any AP bonus.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
On the other hand, do put 1cr in public funding to get 1 civilian happiness boost per turn for cheap.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I've gotten the low tech no army start down pretty well. Immediately nationalize the scavenger into recycler. You'll get more resource income, especially rare metal which you can't really utilize yet , so you can sell it for money. Explore with the militia, build 1 recon battalion once a neutral you want to annex is found. Check to see if there's any rainfall in the first two turn, if not, start a ice/water mine by turn 2-4, then a farming dome. Nationalize transport hub into a truck station if the town you want to conquer is too far (remember, you can put traffic sign on your city going the opposite direction to almost double your supply range).

As for credit income, as far as I can tell the main source of credit income is income tax which I find usually just go up on its own after 20 turns or so. (Based on zone report income tax is generated from population selling to trader, but the number never really match up with the report so I don't really)

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 9, 2020

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Where can I find a list of promises that I made? I'm pretty sure I saw a list like that in Saros' LP but can't find it. I promised to take over some little town and but now I'm not sure where it is.

Go to report, there's a demand report in the first tab.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
As far as I can tell BG is mostly so you can attach more units to an existing formation than otherwise possible so you can benefit from posture and OHQ bonus. They loses their TOE so they don't get reinforced automatically. Also according to the manual they suffer attack penalty, and I think they also lose all their feat when the BG is formed.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Isn't Economic Council necessary to prospect for resources, or will your governors do that regardless? I know there's a funding slider in EC for prospecting but not sure if there are other ways to find metal quickly early on.

Also, do Militia units ever regenerate? I've got a couple that have worn down to ~30-40% of their TOE, and while I have a high Militia rating and occasionally spawn new units the existing ones just linger on as 100 dudes and 30 trucks as I'm not even able to disband them.

Milita size quickly goes down when your regular army size increase, civilization leve increase, and as time goes on. Your milita size limit will very quickly become lower than your fielded milita, so they stop getting replacement.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Compare to Distance World I feel this game is pretty easy to grasp. I think another similar game would be Dominion or Conquest of Elyisum. This game has more complex dice roll and more system but if you really have to understand most of it beyond basic war gamey unit interaction and supply line.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

I don't understand why I should use helicopters.

Can park anywhere with only small readiness penalty. Airport, as an on map asset can be easily found and bombed. Also helicopter is cool.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Nvm, disregard

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
If you go to the bottleneck overlay, the gray box with number in them are pull points request. The black stretches ARE the bottleneck. Improve the supply flow in the black part should resolve supply issue.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Nektu posted:

Is there a way to find out how many factions exist on my map without spoiling myself too much`?

I fear that the new map that I rolled only contains unaligned forces.

The game tells you during world gen. You can also find all faction on the victory overview.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Is APC considered mechanized unit? If so mechanized artillery might be able to benefit from different posture bonus than motorized artillery.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
As long as they have good enough operation stat it's fine. Some tanks is better than no tank. It doesn't matter if you have the worst designed tank, if the enemy has no AT weapon, regular infantry will be hard pressed to damage vehicle with 25mm of armor.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
15% is nothing in the grand scheme of thing. If without using BG your unit won't get OHQ bonus then you are losing out more.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Grevlek posted:

I guess I haven't built enough roads through terrible terrain, do you get reduced movement penalties on roads?

Road has fixed AP cost regardless of terrain, but building road through high mountain costs thousands of IP so it's often impractical.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Danaru posted:

Can I do anything with lava seas or rivers? Like can I plop a thermal powerplant on the tile next to it and get some juice?

Yes, there's such a tech and building.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The more regular units you have, the higher your militancy decline. Even with fairly high militancy by the time you conquered your first city militia growth will often already be slowed to the point where it can't even keep up with reinforcing existing ones.

Militia is extremely weak anyways. They have worse everything, and lacking OHQ bonus weakens them even further. Just form some regular infantry battalions to sit around and train is much better. You are already paying their salary while they sit around in your depot anyways.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Your private economy will usually build some light industry as one of the first few buildings. Barring that you just have to bite the bullet and build the industry yourself (remember to buy the raw material so it gets finished on time).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

How can I see specifically how much resource income I have coming in from private industry each turn?

For individual building, there should be two numbers on the building icon. One of the number is private income going to you as taxes. I don't know if there's a way to see total private resource going to you though.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I've been eyeing this game for some time and saw the last update seems to be Q1 2021. I was waiting for the UI to tighten up a bit and maybe smooth over some of the games rougher edges. Is this still in development? I haven't seen any updates in some time and I just finished Saraos very excellent screenshot heavy LP which I appreciated and now I'm all excited.

There is a beta build that added a few things that's pretty stable (Fortification, sentient alien minor, and a few fixes). The dev went on summer vacation for awhile but has since returned. There's plan to greatly improve AI processing speed, new UI for model development, and navy with oceanic world mentioned in the latest dev blog. Though the developer also has another Decisive Campaign game that's coming out next month so I imagine he's mostly working on that at the moment.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 10, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. That worked first time. I guess I need a better speech guy there, but I'm surrounded by imbeciles.

I managed to research light tanks and put a 60mm howizer in it. Maybe it'll kill the sentient AI robots? I have 1st inf brigade guarding it next to map border, so the walkers aren't going anywhere.

Then I realized I can build them but I can't field them. So I made a staff council which figured out a "OOB Light Armor Army". Can't still field tanks, so I'm missing something else...

Fielding a whole brigade of light tanks is probably out of reach early anyways. What you need to do is to create an independent light tank battalion.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I had regular murderbots in my 2nd game with some gauss guns, they were really good against soft targets, or at least a lot better than infantry. Infantry doesn't kill the enemy infantry fast enough, it takes ages and so many attacks to thin down the ranks. Some firepower is needed and walkers provide it better I think. Maybe I should try buggies with some armor, are they any good? What is the fastest way to kill thousands of low tech infantry?

Light tanks with howitzer is probably your best bet. If your enemy has no AT weapon you can use minimal armor. Also you want to fight with your tanks a lot to train up their design score so lots of cheap tanks is good. All regime profiles also have easy access to blitzkrieg posture which gives massive attack and AP bonus, allowing you to encircle infantry formation easily.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I recommend using advanced start so you have some basic industry and research completed. With normal start you are extremely weak in the beginning and have little room for mistake.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

if i got ai moves turned off how do I check where the enemy is attacking me?

There's a turn replay button you can use. It's the "HIS" button near the top left.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not much honestly. I don't think there's been any major change except the introduction of more diverse native fauna, possibility of sentinent alien faction, airplane, ocean stuff since release.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 24, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tias posted:

Okay, going to try that.

SE: Tryna nationalize the truck stop so I can build a dirt road :commissar:

What exact resource do I need to build the road? It seems to give the same out of SHQ logistics reply no matter how many supply bases, truck stops or train heads I build.

You need industry (point) to build road, which is different from what supply bases and truck stops provide. You get industry point from building and upgrading factories.

Things like supply base and truck stops are for propagating your supply network, which is needed to keep your units supplied and transfer resources in and out of your SHQ (to another city, for example). Your SHQ is the source of your supply and where you store all your resources, usually going to be your capital, but can be changed, and you can even have multiple SHQs.

Tias posted:

Just started this and wowzers is there a lot to get my baby casual brain around.

Okay, so walk me through this like I'm slow-witted (I always feel this way with VR games :D )

I think I've understood supply, have both bases and truck stops near the front. I still seem to have a hard time getting the military to work for me, because I don't seem to develop or re-up any of them on my own. So my questions are..

1) How do units recover dead troops? I've tried mashing the reiplenish slider, but no matter how many riflemen I send, they don't seem to get back to full green bar.

2) Why won't the build roads command work? I select a unit, a start and end point, but it just says 'not connected to SHQ' which I dont know what means.

3) is it normal that it takes forever to be allowed to build your first regular unit? Even though I build metal mines and use stratagems to get more colonists, it seems impossible to build anything but a snotty independent MG unit for many turns

E: so apparently roads need to spring out of SHQ that has the needed logistical resources to support it, but even though I only lay down one hex of dirt road from my capital, it says I don't have the supply. What gives?

1) Your nation automatically attempt to recruit a set amount of your population into your manpower pool every turn. This is a policy you can change. Your units are created and reinforced with this manpower pool automatically. If your units are not being reinforced back to full strength (automatically, you shouldn't have to use any command to get reinforcements) it's probably because there's not enough supply capacity to get to them. Or perhaps you are trying to reinforce a militia unit? Militia units have their own reinforce pool. Short answer is don't worry about reinforcing militia.
2) see above discussion.
3)It will take forever to build your first unit if you are using your very meager default industry income for something else already. It's actually very cheap to arm a brigade of soldiers with basic weapons, but if you are also attempting to upgrade your factory or scavenge operation at the same time then the default industrial capacity will be overwhelmed.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yes, resources can only flow if there is road connection, including the resources you need to construct the building in the first place.