Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Honestly with everything Lucas has said about Star Wars (even down to suggesting Darth Icky as the name of a Sith villain) I still don’t know how much he says and does because he thinks it’s good and how much of it is an extended piece of performance art to see how ridiculous he can get before people stop going along with it.
https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1208942473759928320?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

There is also the subtle racism, like when he hired a bunch of Egyptian people to dig and he just watch them work. Or when the Egyptian merchant guy sing about how great the west is. It's more pronounced in the temple of doom but there is a lot of it here too.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That shows what was missing from the prequels is Steven Spielberg reeling in George's terrible ideas.

George Lucas: He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.
Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

George Lucas: Darth Vader is a 10 year old boy. And there's a goofy sidekick with floppy ears and a Jamaican accent. It’s a real strange relationship.
Rick McCallum: Well you made Star Wars so you must know what you're doing!

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Episode 1 was just mediocre, the worst offender is episode 2.. There is maybe one or two good scenes. Way too much cgi and special effect.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

spielberg just coming up to the girl from poltergeist in a restaurant and saying "i wanna put you in my movie" tells me all i need to know.

like what acting ability or anything can you discern from a 5 year old you see across the room

she then also died from a "bowel defect" at age 12

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Macasaurus posted:

spielberg just coming up to the girl from poltergeist in a restaurant and saying "i wanna put you in my movie" tells me all i need to know.

like what acting ability or anything can you discern from a 5 year old you see across the room

she then also died from a "bowel defect" at age 12

Eh, when you're casting for a "type" and/or someone who looks the part that type of thing happens a lot.

And what in the WORLD are you trying to imply about her untimely death?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

No 5 year old can act. They're all only five years old!!!

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Eh, when you're casting for a "type" and/or someone who looks the part that type of thing happens a lot.

And what in the WORLD are you trying to imply about her untimely death?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Oh my god

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

christmas boots posted:

Honestly with everything Lucas has said about Star Wars (even down to suggesting Darth Icky as the name of a Sith villain) I still don’t know how much he says and does because he thinks it’s good and how much of it is an extended piece of performance art to see how ridiculous he can get before people stop going along with it.

George Lucas destroyed his reputation and lost all of the immense respect he had as a talented filmmaker of the most iconic sci-fi action-adventure trilogy after the Star Wars prequels, so pretty sure he didn't own anyone but actually owned himself forever.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
how old was drew barrymore when lucas discovered her? and didn't she have a huge drug problem as a teen, which is really common amongst sex abuse victims?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

My Spirit Otter posted:

how old was drew barrymore when lucas discovered her? and didn't she have a huge drug problem as a teen, which is really common amongst sex abuse victims?

I think it's common when your mom takes you to Studio 54 when you're still in diapers

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Fate of Atlantis is the best Indiana Jones story.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
raiders of the lost ark is outstanding. george lucas is poo poo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

George Lucas destroyed his reputation and lost all of the immense respect he had as a talented filmmaker of the most iconic sci-fi action-adventure trilogy after the Star Wars prequels, so pretty sure he didn't own anyone but actually owned himself forever.

He created one of the biggest film franchises in history, will go down in history as a pivotal figure in the New Hollywood movement, founded Lucasfilm, which created Industrial Light and Magic (a juggernaut in the special effects industry which then founded Pixar, famous in their own right), cashed out to Disney, and retired to his custom-built 3,000 acre ranch property with a cozy net worth of $5 billion.

What a self-own

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

Drew Barrymore’s childhood is one of the most hosed up things I’ve ever read about

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

General Dog posted:

He also brings the idea for the whip and the hat and pretty much everything else iconic in the first movie to the table though; you gotta take the good with the bad.

I thought old movie serials brought those ideas.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

christmas boots posted:

He created one of the biggest film franchises in history, will go down in history as a pivotal figure in the New Hollywood movement, founded Lucasfilm, which created Industrial Light and Magic (a juggernaut in the special effects industry which then founded Pixar, famous in their own right), cashed out to Disney, and retired to his custom-built 3,000 acre ranch property with a cozy net worth of $5 billion.

What a self-own

I bet you think Michael Bay is a really cool dude too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I bet you think Michael Bay is a really cool dude too.

I’m not a fan of his work, but he’s laughing all the way to the bank.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Rich man:Heaven::Camel:Eye of a needle

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
George Lucas is good actually

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just imagine giving up the vaunted glory of being idolized by neckbeards as a great scifi guy or something, oh no

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Willow was also good.

George Lucas should keep making movies. I wouldn't watch them, but it'd be nice to know he's still out there doing his thing.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Schweinhund posted:

Willow was also good.

George Lucas should keep making movies. I wouldn't watch them, but it'd be nice to know he's still out there doing his thing.

He's still out there, somewhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l08Qzz4j-I0&t=3033s

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Captain Jesus posted:

Lucas is obviously the one championing this horrible idea and while Spielberg and Kasdan are not really on board, neither of the says "George, what the gently caress?". They're like "ok, interesting".

The whole thing is George being a creepy pedo. I heard about those interviews on a podcast and when I was telling a person about it tried to find backing proof like that interview's transcript. While searching for that I found out the "Marion was the teen daughter of Indy's mentor" was something Karen Allen made up. With the tension being "Hey an adult in their mid twenties took advantage of a teen girl's crush. As an adult she's angry about it -and now he needs her help."
George meanwhile went in with that bizarro glee of "A 17 year old and a 23 year old isn't compelling! Now a 12 year old nympho seducing an adult man, that's great storytelling!"

Colonel Cancer posted:

Kinda puts Anakin in a different light too huh
and before Anakin in the family show about a young Indiana Jones's adventures a 15 or 16 year old Indy lose his virginity to a woman at least 15-20 years his senior.
The dude just has a thing for child sex he is somehow compelled to include in everything.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's kind of hard to read tone through a transcript, I remember reading it a long time ago and he says some other stuff that makes it sound like he's loving around.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:piss:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

General Dog posted:

It's kind of hard to read tone through a transcript, I remember reading it a long time ago and he says some other stuff that makes it sound like he's loving around.

Yeah, and hell that even could've been an 'inside joke' about how the internal timeline for Indiana Jones has a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies from revisions and playing very fast and loose with a ton of details that were ad-libed or just seemed cool when an actor added them.
You could probably forgive and handwave away any of the weird child-sex things individually as jokes out of context or appropriate given the period and material or whatever- but when it keeps popping up it gets a lot harder, and it especially makes those jokes fall flat.

The same way that you could say Lucas is some genius-level master troll who has intentionally been making everything worse with time with a wink and a nod -but it's probably more likely he was a brilliant innovator in terms of special effects, but a terrible writer who doesn't understand pacing, how to make those neat set pieces he thinks up string together, or how human interaction works but got extremely lucky with the right combination of people who tweaked his ideas and laughed at him when he had terrible dialogue early on, but then everyone kowtowed later.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 5, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Even in the interpretation that Lucas is constantly trolling, you’ve still got Harrison Ford explicitly calling him out for being poo poo at writing dialogue.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

My theory is that DePalma was in the room too just hanging out, and George wanted him to think he was cool.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im the part where he hangs onto a submarine across the ocean

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Jedis in the prequel were literally a child stealing cult lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Colonel Cancer posted:

Jedis in the prequel were literally a child stealing cult lol

I think this might be old continuity but I remember that there was one Jedi who was from some endangered species or something, and he had a special license from the Council to gently caress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

christmas boots posted:

I think this might be old continuity but I remember that there was one Jedi who was from some endangered species or something, and he had a special license from the Council to gently caress.

I think that's Ki Adi Mundi. The dude on the council with the giant 7ft long head.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think that's Ki Adi Mundi. The dude on the council with the giant 7ft long head.

Where do you even learn these things

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Of course the dude that looks like Andy Dick gets to gently caress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

bossy lady posted:

Where do you even learn these things

Up through Episode 1, I was one of those sad pathetic star wars fans that knew everything about it inside and out. And some things, like dick head jedi being the only jedi to gently caress, are things you never forget.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah, he had several wives. Lucas once said Jedi in general can have sex but not form attachments which is the opposite of how human sexuality works.

My head canon is that finding midichlorians led to the corruption of the Jedi. Before they had to search and find apprentices and convince them to join or potentials had to find them and they would work out how involved the family would be. Then they found a blood test, started taking kids, realized it was traumatic to reunite with parents later so kept them away, and basically made them wards of the Jedi until they are trained enough to quit (Dooku) or go do their own thing. Plus Jedi having families distracts them from their job so we should ban that too. We will leave casual sex in to let them blow off steam and keep midichlorians in the gene pool.

And I will stop because I am a bad person for writing this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sounds like Lucas had just read Lolita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Xenocides posted:

And I will stop because I am a bad person for writing this.

Don't worry, friend. I stopped reading your post as soon as I saw the phrase "head canon" :haw: