Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

George Lucas just enjoys loving with the audience and making them uncomfortable after the fact. Like in Star Wars how all the droids are obviously sentient intelligent lifeforms but are treated like walking iPhones. Or in the prequels how the clones are literal slaves bred to be soldiers but this goes completely uncommented on by the heroes who deploy them.

For Indy, Spielberg and Kasdan give it just enough plausible deniability that the situation isn't literal, but still retain some of that creepiness Lucas was going after.

When developing the Indiana Jones character they were discussing that it would be fun to have him be a total monster but make audiences like him anyway. Two of the most direct influences were Sean Connery's James Bond and Clint Eastwood in his westerns, and if you think this implied gross thing ruins your childhood, maybe don't go and rewatch those movies. Like remember that western where Clint just literally rapes a woman? :stonkhat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Icochet posted:

Not sure about Best Boy or Dolly Grip

They prefer to be called Catamites.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

It sounds really hosed up, but back in the 20s and 30s it wouldn't have been uncommon for a 14 year old girl to be marrying a man 10 to 20 years her elder. I know that both of my grandmothers were 15, and 17 when they got married to my grandfathers 20, and 23. What I'm saying is Lucas is painting a realistic picture of just how hosed up the recent past was.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Icochet posted:

Not sure about Best Boy or Dolly Grip

They’re mafia respecting thin blue liners

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What forums did they mod

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
Indiana Jones and the Isle of Epstein

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Whoria Discordia posted:

Indiana Jones and the Isle of Epstein

Raiders of the Teen rear end

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Indiana Jones, deep in the ruins of an ancient Meso-American temple: this priceless treasure belongs in a museum!

Locals: oh yeah thanks that’s a sacred jade panther we’ve been hunting for generations, it brings good luck to our people and-“

IJ: *gets in plane whitely* LMAO suck my dick from the back you losers ha ha ha ha

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
*destroys a miraculously preserved millennia old marvel of engineering to get a gold statue*

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Bust Rodd posted:

Indiana Jones, deep in the ruins of an ancient Meso-American temple: this priceless treasure belongs in a museum!

Locals: oh yeah thanks that’s a sacred jade panther we’ve been hunting for generations, it brings good luck to our people and-“

IJ: *gets in plane whitely* LMAO suck my dick from the back you losers ha ha ha ha

This is why Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones film :smugbert:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Smiling Mandrill posted:

It sounds really hosed up, but back in the 20s and 30s it wouldn't have been uncommon for a 14 year old girl to be marrying a man 10 to 20 years her elder. I know that both of my grandmothers were 15, and 17 when they got married to my grandfathers 20, and 23. What I'm saying is Lucas is painting a realistic picture of just how hosed up the recent past was.

This.

That attitude continued: movies/novels/magazines from after this era - postwar to early 60’s and you’ll run into a lot of references to ‘jailbait’, hot teenage girls that want it, but ‘15 gets you 20’.

Oh wait, did I say early sixties?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZiGA4teqC8&feature=share

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I always hated these movies for the same reason I hated James Bond movies, because I have no desire to be a sleazy, womanizing, smug rear end in a top hat nor do I desire to interact with one. I’m glad to know my hatred was not in vain. Thanks op.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is why Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones film :smugbert:

It is kinda funny in that it's the most racist one in its ridiculous and archaic depictions of other cultures, but Indy himself is very respectful and wants to genuinely help them out (the whole "fortune and glory" bit notwithstanding). His best friend is a Chinese kid!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I have no desire to be a sleazy, womanizing, smug rear end in a top hat

I do and am

AMA

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I'm actually not sure if I'd count Indy as a womanizer. Marion is an old flame, Willie spends half the movie upset that Indy hasn't hosed her already, and Elsa's a Nazi spy who seduces her marks for cover.

The movies basically just throw women at him because they need to have a love interest as part of the formula. He's not going out chasing pussy all the time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Indiana Jones has absolutely hosed at least half of his students

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remulak posted:

This.

That attitude continued: movies/novels/magazines from after this era - postwar to early 60’s and you’ll run into a lot of references to ‘jailbait’, hot teenage girls that want it, but ‘15 gets you 20’.

I read The Thin Man a couple years ago and there is this super weird scene where the main character is talking about a young woman with another man, specifically about how he knew her when she was a child and used to bounce her on his knee, and the other guy asks if he can rub that knee :psyduck:

Also I’m pretty sure that the main character and his wife have a threeway with that young woman later

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do and am

AMA

:chloe:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sorry I cannot hear you over the sound of how much better I am than you and also the sound of all these hot women having sex with me RIGHT NOW

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

No matter what the first thing I remember about Howard the Duck is the duck titties.

Is there any other movie in existence that has duck titties? I don't believe so, no.

Haha I bet there’s some more haha. Wow I wonder if maybe somewhere there’s a list of all the duck titty movies lol? That would be crazy to watch a bunch of movies with big duck titties or maybe even just some screenshots haha just thinking out loud here

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its cool that you dwell on fictitious 14 year olds from a movie from a generation ago, i guess

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Haha I bet there’s some more haha. Wow I wonder if maybe somewhere there’s a list of all the duck titty movies lol? That would be crazy to watch a bunch of movies with big duck titties or maybe even just some screenshots haha just thinking out loud here

reminds of the dude back in the day who made a thread talking about how many panty shots there were in the Chipmunks movie and how he counted all the panty shots and has screen shots of them and that was a thread that backfired quickly

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Indiana Jones is a statutory rapist

Plinkett Voice: "talk about using THE FORCE."

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do and am

AMA

How's the HBV?

eta:

Bust Rodd posted:

Indiana Jones: IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM! *decontextualizes loving everything*

Meanwhile, in real life:

Archaeologists: IT DOESN'T BELONG IN A MUSEUM! Seriously, give that poo poo back so we can actually study it.
Boomers who don't know dick from poo poo but like tourism $: Nuh :colbert: Movie man said it's ok.

DeathCrabForCutie fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 5, 2020

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Are duck breasts :nws:?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

its cool that you dwell on fictitious 14 year olds from a movie from a generation ago, i guess

wow what a post

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Whoria Discordia posted:

How's the HBV?

lets just say I know my ABCs

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
DuckTits, a-who-ooo!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

so are the duck tits entirely vestigial or are the ducks of the howard the duck world placental

maybe they are monotremes?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Captain Jesus posted:

Lucas is obviously the one championing this horrible idea and while Spielberg and Kasdan are not really on board, neither of the says "George, what the gently caress?". They're like "ok, interesting".

He also brings the idea for the whip and the hat and pretty much everything else iconic in the first movie to the table though; you gotta take the good with the bad.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so are the duck tits entirely vestigial or are the ducks of the howard the duck world placental

You’re a real boner killer, you know that Mel?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Remulak posted:

This.

drat Carrie Fisher got around didn't she?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

they are actually platypus with out the tail so the second one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It sucks because otherwise his character's surprisingly egalitarian for a white anglo american in the 1930s. Indy's surprisingly unbigoted except against nazis who totally dont count

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Well if it means anything Indy definitely came around by the time of the third movie, scolding his father for sexing the Nazi secret agent.

Indiana Jones:
It's disgraceful, you're old enough to be her... her grandfather!

Professor Henry Jones:
Well, I'm as human as the next man.

Indiana Jones:
Dad, I *was* the next man.

Professor Henry Jones:
Oh... ships that pass in the night.

(I mean, kind of)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lets not forget that in earlier drafts of star wars there was an incestuous relationship even though the two characters knew they were related. The incest thing was planned from the start.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Indiana Jones and the Temple of #MeToo

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Wow, George Lucas sucks. I never saw that coming.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Lawrence Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

George Lucas: He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.

Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

George Lucas: He’s thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Steven Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

George Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it’s an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she’s sixteen or seventeen it’s not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he…
Thats it I believe in qanon now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly with everything Lucas has said about Star Wars (even down to suggesting Darth Icky as the name of a Sith villain) I still don’t know how much he says and does because he thinks it’s good and how much of it is an extended piece of performance art to see how ridiculous he can get before people stop going along with it.