Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can confirm we started with Revue and left it for the longest time but changed it at the 11th hour specifically because the joke wouldn’t work otherwise. It seems silly but the whole opening here kinda hinges on it.

But yeah minus that Revue would have been the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the commander outright talked about the mechs on the phone and our hero still can't put two and two together?

I mean, officers being picked for enthusiasm over clear thinking isn't out of character for Japan at the time, but geeze, man.

Also, gotta say the Sumire dynamic isn't working for me now. Sakura and Ichiro, sure. She's nice, he's new here, it's all moving way too fast for the kind of innocent affection they're trying for, but the basic dynamics are solid.

For Sumire, meanwhile, the haughty character dynamic tends to work better with someone who pushes back. Gives both characters room to form strong personalities, and lets them develop in natural ways without losing the initial spark. But Ichiro's being a doormat here, and it means he's more of an accessory for her than a character in his own right. It also means that Sumire has to be generically arrogant rather than putting in the effort to snipe at Ichiro specifically.

Then again, I've seen worse protagonists in strategy RPGs with dating elements. Especially Corrin.

At any rate, the most important thing to remember in a mech dating sim is this: If a girl gives you an invitation to her birthday party, rip it up and promise to kill her. Girls in mech anime love that stuff.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have an [iris-angry] there.

Also poor Ogami, at this point he's just getting straight-up trolled by his own boss. The rest may not be quite clear on the situation but at least they aren't just lying like Yoneda is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sumire will get her character foil a bit later in the game, don't you worry.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I could have sword the documents said I'd been assigned to secret assault force. Did I read it wrong?

Well, the performances we put on here sure are an assault on the senses. Bah ha ha ha! And as for secret...Well, you didn't know a government-run theater like this existed before, did you?

Gaaaah! I can't believe this!

... you are a great purveyor of complete bullshit, Yoneda Ikki.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

To be fair, it's partly my man's fault for not reading the fuckin' letter closely.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Can confirm we started with Revue and left it for the longest time but changed it at the 11th hour specifically because the joke wouldn’t work otherwise. It seems silly but the whole opening here kinda hinges on it.

But yeah minus that Revue would have been the right choice.
Translatable puns are the rarest of treasures, and every single one of them should be enshrined in a glass case in a museum somewhere.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Translatable puns are the rarest of treasures, and every single one of them should be enshrined in a glass case in a museum somewhere.

:yeah:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just beat the reboot and man, I'm glad I don't have a capture device because it keeps me from LPing that immediately after this and that's just too much Sakura Wars all at once

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Also since we saw Iris call Ichiro mon frere a bunch this episode: this is the only translation decision we actually got (a little) flak for. Apparently people really don't like it when anime kids don't say 'onii-chan'. I even had people tell me 'if you don't use onii-chan you should at least use 'big brother' which, when was the last time you heard an English-speaking kid refer to some random guy as 'big brother'? It sounds so awkward and forced.

For the longest time we had it as 'Uncle Ichi' but even that seemed a little weird by the end, so someone suggested we use the French and someone else said they had asked some French people and they agreed French kids would totally call random dudes mon frere (I have no idea if this is true) so we went with it.

I think it's cute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It makes it feel more like a term of endearment and less

yeah.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, I for one celebrate less "oniichan"s in the world, and you are all heroes in my book. Just beat this game last night, and seriously: well done, all! :)

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Getsuya posted:

Also since we saw Iris call Ichiro mon frere a bunch this episode: this is the only translation decision we actually got (a little) flak for. Apparently people really don't like it when anime kids don't say 'onii-chan'. I even had people tell me 'if you don't use onii-chan you should at least use 'big brother' which, when was the last time you heard an English-speaking kid refer to some random guy as 'big brother'? It sounds so awkward and forced.

For the longest time we had it as 'Uncle Ichi' but even that seemed a little weird by the end, so someone suggested we use the French and someone else said they had asked some French people and they agreed French kids would totally call random dudes mon frere (I have no idea if this is true) so we went with it.

I think it's cute.

Every onii/oneechan must be preserved. Also, include every honorific. And structure your phrases to match the original text! Only then will you capture the true essence of Japanese prose! If not, then your translation is trash! :argh:

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

Getsuya posted:

I think it's cute.

I like the "mon frere" a lot. One of my favorite aspects of the English dub for the original OVAs was how the actresses tried to hold appropriate accents for their characters, and one of my least favorite aspects of the English dub for the TV series was that they didn't. It makes lines like "WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING" or "THE STEAM BAZOOKA" much more entertaining.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's only a slight bit unfortunate for Kohran though.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's interesting to see how quickly some of the ladies are taking to flirting with Ichiro in this game when my only prior experience for this franchise has been the anime & OVAs, where at most Sakura and Ichiro end up in a more platonic siblings-like relationship than anything else. Because dear lord ladies he just showed up today.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

It's interesting to see how quickly some of the ladies are taking to flirting with Ichiro in this game when my only prior experience for this franchise has been the anime & OVAs, where at most Sakura and Ichiro end up in a more platonic siblings-like relationship than anything else. Because dear lord ladies he just showed up today.

Look, I've seen enough Gundam to know how this works. You need to work fast in any romantic relationship, because as soon as it's even implied, a timer starts counting down until one or both of you dies horribly.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

chiasaur11 posted:

Look, I've seen enough Gundam to know how this works. You need to work fast in any romantic relationship, because as soon as it's even implied, a timer starts counting down until one or both of you dies horribly.
Aha! There's your problem! This isn't Gundam at all! All the mecha pilots (except one) are adults! With (mostly) healthy relationships!

Look they're doing their best with Iris she kind of got the short end of the stick but she's not for romance she's for headpats.

Also nobody's trying to drop a space colony on Australia, so definitely not Gundam.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shei-kun posted:

lol @ expecting a harem show to have an actual resolution

mustn't sink those ships!!! NEVER EVER

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Aha! There's your problem! This isn't Gundam at all! All the mecha pilots (except one) are adults! With (mostly) healthy relationships!

Look they're doing their best with Iris she kind of got the short end of the stick but she's not for romance she's for headpats.

Also nobody's trying to drop a space colony on Australia, so definitely not Gundam.

Looking up the ages, most of the cast is teenagers. Ichiro, Kanna, and Maria are 19 (Same age as Kou Uraki in Stardust Memories, Bernie "Burger" Wiseman in War in the Pocket, and Bright Noa in the original Gundam), Kohran and Sakura are 17 (Same age as Kamille Bidan in Zeta, Loran Cehack in Turn A, and Seabook Arno in F91), Sumire's 16 (same age as Kira Yamato from SEED, Shinn Asuka from SEED Destiny, Setsuna F. Seiya in 00 season 1, Banagher Links in Unicorn, and Amuro Ray himself in the back half of the original Gundam), and Iris is 9 (Younger than any Gundam protagonist, including the ones who only fight with plastic models. Most characters in her age range tend to be tagalong orphans and the like, with the odds shifting further once you drop the Ples from the math.).

Even sticking to character's ages as of their first appearance, Domon Kasshu, Shiro Amada, Sven Cal Bayang, Selene McGriff, Oliver May, and Christina Mackenzie were all older than any of this game's pilots.

Some of them had relatively healthy relationships. Some had total tire fires visible from orbit. Neither set avoided ridiculous amounts of tragedy and drama, because Gundam protagonists getting into relationships is a sign for the universe to just start killing in hopes of tagging at least one of them in the blast radius.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. In fact, I expect it won't. But I am saying that this is a genre where you can't afford to wait.

From the dating sim end, of course, it's well known that denseness is a massive turn-on for people in the genre, making our hero's inability to figure out what's going tremendously attractive to those around him. (See the case file for Claes, C. for one of the most extreme examples)

Basically, both ends of the genre encourage extreme speed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

1-3 - The Bear Necessities

Night's fallen on the theater.

(I'm tired, but I can't seem to fall asleep...Maybe it's because I'm not used to the bed...It's almost 12:00...)

I guess Ogami just kinda had a depression nap all day and woke up at like midnight. Mood.

There's a knock at the door.

(Wha...? Who in the world could it be at this late hour?)

Ogami...? It's me, Sakura...

Sakura? Just a second. I'll open the door. (What's she doing here at this hour?)

It was a huge success.

By the way...what is it, this late at night?

Well, Ogami...Manager Yoneda instructed me to...to have you handle nighttime rounds in the theater.

Nighttime...rounds?

Yes. I know it's terribly short notice, but I hope you understand...

Not like we're gonna be able to sleep.

Sure! You can count on me! I was having trouble getting to sleep anyway. Exercise will help with that.

Really...? T-Thank you for being so considerate! Well then, shall we go?

Huh?! You're coming with me?

Of course! After all, you don't know your way around the theater yet. So I'll accompany you!

Thanks. I'll be counting on you.

And I you. Now let's get moving!

Nighttime rounds will be a good portion of our free time in the theater. We'll usually be on a sort of timer, each room counting down until we gotta go to sleep. Luckily for you, I'm using a guide so I can see just about everything. There's also time here for us to just look around a bit, too.

Let's head to the library first.

Sakura, sir...What are you up to at this hour?

We're on the night watch. What are you doing up, Maria?

I came to return a book I borrowed.

Maria, it's not like an actual library with due dates. Maria it's midnight, surely this could have waited until morning.

Ohh, what did you borrow?

It's Crime and Punishment...

Maria I know you're Russian but like you can read a Japanese book. Might I recommend I Am A Cat?

Crime and Punishment, huh...If I'm not mistaken, that's Dostoevsky, right?

Wow, Ogami! I'm impressed!

Well, I'll be on my way. Sakura, sir, I'm leaving the watch in your hands. Good night.

Let's continue our rounds, Ogami.

We'll head over to the main stage area and do a little roundabout.

Ogami, you lost her already?

Come here and take a look outside, Ogami...

I think the lights of the city are amazing...

It's pretty cool. Also remember, this is the early Taisho period where urbanization is still early in Japan. Once you get out of the major cities, it's basically back to samurai times.

What makes you say that?

Well, they're not meant to be decorative or artistic, but each one shines so beautifully. And together they show us this breathtaking view. I want to shine on the stage, just like one of those lights...

I want to be a warm and strong light...the kind that shines the way for the people in the streets.

Well now, let's continue our rounds.

Heading down, let's take a peek at the gift shop.

Doesn't look like anything is out of place. Let's keep moving.

Iris, it's way past your bedtime.

What's the matter, Iris? What are you doing up?

Mon Frčre...Sakura...

What's wrong, Iris? Come here and tell us what's going on.

Um...I can't find Jean-Paul...I think maybe I left him somewhere...*sniffle*...My poor Jean-Paul...*sniffle*...He's all alone...

Iris...

Don't worry, Iris. Tomorrow when it's light you should be able to find him right away. But it's late now, so you need to get to bed.

*sniffle*...OK...I'll go to bed...

It would help if we knew where Iris spent the afternoon...Ogami. Let's get going, shall we?

Well, the last place I saw Iris was backstage.

Not particularly.

Ah! Ogami! Over there, it's Iris' Jean-Paul!

Oh good...let's go give it to her.

Let's go check the stage real quick, see if there's anyone up to stuff.

(Here I thought the 'Imperial Assault Troupe' would be a combat unit...I guess this is someone's idea of a joke.)

Is something wrong, Ogami?

No...It's nothing. Doesn't look like there's anything out of place here. Let's keep moving.

Isn't there supposed to be an actual night watchman?

And now I'm the security guard. Man, wasn't I supposed to be protecting the whole capital...?

...Let's go, Ogami.

We've lollygagged enough. Let's get Iris her bear back.

Iris has quite a lot of stuffed animals in her room.

Knock knock.

Iris...It's Sakura. Please open up.

Here you go, Iris. We found Jean-Paul. It seems you left him in the music room.

Ah! Jean-Paul!

You shouldn't leave your beloved friends behind.

Mon Frčre...Sakura...Thank you so much!

Well, it's late, so...Good night.

...Good. Now Iris will be able to sleep peacefully.

Yes. I'm really glad we found it. Well, shall we continue our rounds?

Ah, look at the time...

It's getting quite late, Ogami. Shall we end our rounds here?

So this is telling us our free time is almost over. We can choose to end it here, or do a bit more.

Let's keep doing rounds. There are other places I want to check.

OK. We'll do rounds for a little bit longer. But the lights will go off soon. I think we can only check 3 more rooms...

I'll keep that in mind. Let's go.

Well, we can check on the other two girls...

Yeah, it's midnight, to be expected.

We'll end the night checking out the salon.

So this is where you all go to relax.

Right. I'd love to stop and drink some tea here, but...We're on duty at the moment...let's keep going.

Oh dear, look at the time...

Oh, OK.

Well then, shall we return to our rooms?

Sure, good night.

Yeah, OK. Thanks for all of your help today. ...Good night.

It's no probem at all, Ogami. Just try to cheet up, OK?

...Mmm hmm.

Well, good night.

...I guess I'll head to my room.

It's the dead of night...I'd better get some sleep.

Good morning.

I think they said we have the day off. That means I get a break from ticket-clipping duty. Well then...What should I do?

Let's head to the desk just to get a better sense of the place.

I've got lots of free time, so I'll check out the Reception Desk.

OK, I'll try talking to her...

Morning! Are you taking it easy today?

I wish I could, but I have rehearsal onstage right now. I plan to rehearse the whole dance with Sakura one more time.

...That sounds fun. I'm jealous.

...Honestly, I don't enjoy rehearsals. But it wouldn't do for a star such as myself to make a mistake during a performance. Well, I'm needed onstage soon...Please excuse me.

...Rehearsal, huh? Lucky you. I've got nothing to do and I'm bored stiff!

You could always go out into the city, it's not like the entire game takes place in this building.

Hey, Iris.

Hey, Mon Frčre? Let's all go to the flower-viewing festival soon.

That sounds nice. The cherry blossoms were in full bloom in Ueno Park yesterday.

Yeah...But I'm more interested in spending time with you.

Is that so? ...Thank you.

Ogami you need to start establishing boundaries.

That's what they call "toys over flowers," right?

I think you mean, "boys over flowers."

DON'T ENCOURAGE HER.

Eheheh...Oh, OK. ...Well, I'm gonna go now! Bye bye, Mon Frčre!

Let's go downstairs.

I live here now, Maria. I can be places.

H-Hey, Maria...

...Tell me, sir. Are you unhappy with your job here?

You know, I slept on it, and...I dunno, I think working in a theater could be cool. Disappointed, maybe. But not unhappy now.

...Frankly, it perplexed me at first, but now I'm happy with it.

Is that so? But you were transferred here as captain of a covert squad, were you not? Or have you forgotten that already?

Of course not! I was sent here to be Captain of the Imperial Assault Troop! I'll do any job asked of me. Even clipping tickets.

Ogami, the U.

But I haven't forgotten my duty to protect the capital!

Oh...? I am relieved to hear that. Well then, I must go to rehearsal. Please excuse me. Sir, everyone in the Flower Division will be rehearsing onstage. Please stop by and watch us.

...I've got some free time. I think I'll head to the stage and watch everyone rehearse.

Next time, we'll see just what goes into a production of the Troupe.

A Fun Fact To Leave You On
Did you know that this game took three years to make, double the initial estimate?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 20, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are a few missing portraits here. I see a [maria-smile], [ogami-sad], [sakura-shock] and [06:58].

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wonder what problems they had to take twice as long as they expected. I'm no stranger to missing deadlines but taking a year and a half more is quite the thing.

At least they got a full product out of it that became an important series (in Japan), maybe without that extra time we wouldn't have this series at all today.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think it was a particularly troubled production, just a scope past what they expected.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fyodor? Good taste, Maria.

Interesting that a soldier in the Russian revolution would be reading such a Christian novel, but great art is great art.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Fyodor? Good taste, Maria.

Interesting that a soldier in the Russian revolution would be reading such a Christian novel, but great art is great art.

I don't think the authors put much thought into the implications of Maria's character when they decided that she had fought in the Revolution -- mostly because this is not that kind of a story. (I think the second one is the only one to get political, and that's pretty much limited to 'militarism is bad, mmkay?')

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

TheDavies posted:

I don't think the authors put much thought into the implications of Maria's character when they decided that she had fought in the Revolution -- mostly because this is not that kind of a story

It'd be an interesting bit of characterization for Maria, assuming she fought for the revolution--she's shell shocked, burned out, and cynical over how things ended up, so now that she's a world away from that mess she has a keen interest in reading everything she can get her hands on, even stuff written by her ostensible ideological enemies. (And if she was a former loyalist, the explanation still fits equally well, except she'd then probably be more inclined to support Dostoevsky's position.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just apropos of nothing, I wanted to drop a link to my Twitter, where I post updates about each update, wherever they may end up being.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Do not be surprised if this week's update is a bit delayed as we all try to get our poo poo together.

I intend to keep posting this LP on SA for as long as I am able, but I am currently looking into finding an alternative contingency host.

I will not abandon this LP, I've been having too much fun even with what little's been done.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

1-4 - The Secret of the Troupe

Sakura! Your footwork is all wrong!

Oh dear, what's going on now?

Wow, they're hard at work...Each brilliant performance is the result of everyday rehearsals like this one.

Uwah!

H-Huh?!

Watch Video: Rehearsal With The Flower Division

Hey Sumire, you good?

Well, there's your problem.

Didn't anyone teach you that it's impolite to step on someone's kimono?

Please forgive me.

Honestly...This is why I can't stand country girls. So vulgar,

Okay girls, calm down, it's just a play.

Why you brat! Sakura! If words won't get through, perhaps my hand will!

Ogami, you're the captain, do some leadership!

Hey, you two! Stop fighting!

E-Ensign?!

O-Ogami! Look out!

DESTROYED.

O-Ogami!!! I'm so sorry!

Ensign...what are you doing here?

Stopping you two from fighting. I don't know much about theater, and I didn't intent to interrupt your rehearsal. However, teamwork is important in a troupe, right? ...So stop fighting.

Mon Frčre...

I understand. I'm sorry, Ogami.

...Good! Well then, I'll be going now...

Ah! Ogami!

Welp time to go, wait what?

Hm?

Sakura...?

May I tell you something?

I mean, why wouldn't?

Sure. What is it?

the Captain of the Flower Division must be more than a mere soldier; that we mustn't continue to fight battles in which human lives are sacrificed for the sake of victory; and that the person who serves as Captain must truly love the Flower Division, this theater, and working here...

That's why he made you ticket clipper.

...Is that so?

Please cherish this theater and our troupe...And please lead us into battle as our Captain!

Wait battle but isn't this a

Battle...? Against who?

W-Well...

Oh no, an alarm is going off at an inconvenient time!

Huh?! What's that alarm?

Ogami, we must move out!

Move out?! What do you mean?

The Flower Division of the Imperial Assault Troop is moving out! Let's go!

Watch Video: Assault Troupe, Suit Up!

Wheee.

That's a quick change.

Wow, these are some spiffy uniforms.

Well done!

Manager Yoneda...and the whole troupe...What is this?!

I'm extremely confused!

I'm sorry for deceiving you. But I wanted to ensure that you were qualified to be captain of a covert squad.

We've been done in once again by a test of worthiness!

W-What is this place?!

The core of the Imperial Assault Troupe...The underground Command Room.

Manager Yoneda, you mean the covert squad is real?!

Of course! The theater troupe is merely a facade.

For what purpose. I don't get what benefit it has.

So, I'll introduce you again. They are members of the Flower Division. They'll be your subordinates.

As new members of the Imperial Assault Troupe, let's do our best!

Girls it's not the time.

Now we'll see whether or not you have the skills to be captain.

Someone's got their head on, at least.

...I understand. Let's all do our best! Commander, who is our enemy?

I'm sure you've heard rumors of them. They're a mysterious organization that terrorizes the capital with mechanical soldiers called "Hex Mechs." They are known as...the "Hive of Darkness."

Hive of Darkness?

Sakura beat up a Hex Mech in Ueno Park the day she came to Tokyo!

Oh, that was what that was.

Iris! That was supposed to be a secret!

What? You mean it was Sakura who defeated that monster?!

Correct. However, a human can only do so much against a Hex Mech. That's where we come in. We have a powerful weapon at our disposal. Let me show you the underground hangar.

The Imperial Assault Troupe's secret weapon! The "Koubu" Spirit Armor!

Never heard of 'em.

Yes. Think of it as mechanical armor that can only be used by those with powerful spiritual energy. By which I mean the members of the Flower Division...and you. ...Now then, the white Koubu is yours. Go ahead and get inside it.

The enemy's been spotted in the same part as last time, Ueno Park. Use our bullet train to get there!

Yes, sir!

I don't have a Koubu yet, so I'll be staying behind...Do your best, Mon Frčre!

Iris will not be joining us in battle for quite a while, actually.

Ogami, give the order to move out! We must protect Ueno Park from the Hive of Darkness!

Let's go!

Flower Division, move out! Target area is Ueno Park!

Roger!

Koubu activated!

Imperial Assault Troupe is moving out!

They all got points up for that.

Watch Video:Engaging for Battle

I hope you like shots of machinery!

I'm getting dizzy! Someone get me off this thing!

We get another intermission before the battle.

At the Status screen before battles, we can see how the girls' moods affect their stats. Better mood, better boosts.

Next time, our first battle!

Did you know the Assault Troupe uniforms are based on tuxedos?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kind of weird to prioritize the new guy in giving him a robot and not someone that's been there for a while...but then again, better that than sending a child into life or death combat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I see hazing is just as much a part of fantasy 1920s Japan's military as it is in modern day militaries

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Slaan posted:

I see hazing is just as much a part of fantasy 1920s Japan's military as it is in modern day militaries

Hazing spontaneously develops in any human organization with four members or more. Just ask any sibling (younger or older, doesn't matter).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Today's stupid question that isn't important on my brain.

Who made the portraits of the team in uniform?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Just popping in to say Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan whips so much rear end :allears:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The music of Sakura Wars is loving great and is part of why I fell in love with the franchise. I'm just happy to see more of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

1-5 - The Battle of the Flower Viewing Festival

OH NO

They're ruining everything!

And who are these clowns?

The capital is ours!

Let us build a mountain of corpses as a warning to all that would oppose us. What say you, Lord Satan?

Heh heh heh...

Of course your name is Satan. Why the heck wouldn't it be?

You..!

Interesting...Everyone, let me handle this.

Ooh, this should be good.

The other three disappear, leaving us with the Christian Devil But Not.

Come at me anytime!

Ensign Ogami, those are members of the Hive of Darkness. Everybody pay attention. I'm going to explain how to operate your Koubu.

So I did do the tutorial here, but I'll just explain it quicker as we go.

So welcome to Sakura Wars' battle system. It's a pretty basic tactical RPG. Every character gets a turn where they can perform up to two actions, actions being split into three main categories. The first category is moving, which should be obvious.

Movement ranges depend on the character and can be increased or decreased based on their mood.

The second category of actions is attacks, with normal attacks and special attacks.

Normal attacks are just normal attacks.

Sakura and Ogami are both sword users and can attack one square in front of them in any direction.

Sumire's naginata can reach up to two squares in front of her.

For her neutral special, Maria uses a gun and can fire up to 5 squares in front of her.

You'll need to get a good sense of your characters' ranges if you want to make the most of your action economy. Most of the time, foot soldiers will take about two normal attacks to go down, occasionally a single attack if you get lucky with a critical hit.

You can also do powerful special attacks, which have different properties than your normals.

Maria's special attack, used in the tutorial, has about the same range as her normal, but on hit has a four square splash effect that can target multiple enemies.

They all also come with special cinematics! A special attack will take down most normal enemies in one attack.

You can only use a special attack with a full Willpower bar, which is the red bar that appears below unit health. Both you and some enemies have willpower that you can use for special attacks. The main ways of gaining willpower are getting hit and resting, which is our first Defense action.

Special attacks are best saved for crowd control and boss-type enemies, when you need that big damage.

Our next Defense action is healing. Each unit gets a couple heals that they can use in each fight, either on themselves or adjacent units.

As the game progresses, more ways to raise health will come to us.

The last main action is a simple guard, which reduces your damage taken. It's your general "I have nothing else I can do on this turn" action. You can also get some information about the battlefield or end your turn early. Additionally, Ogami has a special action he can take where he tags another unit, and the next time that unit is attacked, Ogami will take the hit and neutralize the damage. It's pretty useful later on and can also increase affinity.

Now that we're done with all that, we can take out the mooks in the park pretty easily and make our way across the bridge to Mr. Satan.

Hm?

It feels strange fighting here.

Oh yeah, this is where we first met. It's like poetry.

This is where I first met you.

Hehe...that's right. Strange that we're having out first battle together where we first met...or maybe it's destiny...

Hey Sakura? Demon. Head in the game. Head in the goddamn game.

Once we get our first hit in on Satan...

Oh, sending Sakura over there might have been a mistake.

M-Mind the emulation.

Sumire's special has a nice AOE spread around it.

Aha, this is the perfect formation!

Ogami's special is just his normal range, but hey, this is as good a time as any to talk about how Ogami has a voice now! Yeah, in the novel scenes, Ogami is silent as is the ADV tradition, but in battle, he has voice lines provided by Akio Suyama, probably known for Cytomander in Gurren Lagann and Zagi in Tales of Vesperia.

And that's it for Satan.

We'll settle this another day, Imperial Assault Troupe!

They got away...but, we were able to protect the Capital!! Let's return to base, everyone!!

Just a moment, Ogami. It's not time for the Flower Division's curtain clal just yet!

Wh-What?!

Ready~

We did it!

A short save screen later...

I hope nobody is giving the child alcohol. Sumire looks in a rough way.

...But, sir, why do you keep everything about the Hive of Darkness top secret?

Oh, come now, Ogami. What do you think would happen if we didn't? Riots, that's what...We'd be playing right into their hands. No matter what, we must fight them in absolute secrecy!

I see. So that's what makes it a secret squadron.

I have to wonder what the cover story is for all the robots in the park, then. I believe the later games in the series still flirt with the idea of the Revue being secret, but it becomes harder and harder to swallow until Shin Sakura Wars just abandons the idea entirely and makes them common knowledge.

Thank you so much for today.

No problem. Thank you too, Sakura.

It's a good thing you were here, Ogami. I'm looking forward to working with you again, Ogami!

You can always rely on me!

G-Got it.

Hey, we did a good job.

Y'know...I like you an awful lot, Mon Frčre. I'll let you be my boyfriend, so don't go cheating on me!

:|

Hahaha, thanks.

:|

Aw drat she's become Joker.

(How can you get drunk on amazake? It's just light sake!)

Hm, hmhmhm...Come on, Ensiiiign, let'sh keep drinking!

Chug ut, chug it all down! Ogami! You're on ticket duty again tomorrow!

Eee?!

And of course the sitcom laughter ends us off.

Watch Video: Episode 2 Preview

Did you know that during the prototype phase of the game, two tabletop RPGs were developed to help conceptualize the battle system?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 12, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This update was really hard to follow. I think a lot of images are in the wrong place, or I'm just reading it wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no, it's just a bit out of order so I can show off the mechanics. There's not really much else to talk about in the fight. Sorry if it's hard to follow.

I've added a note in the update text as such and will look into redoing that portion in the future.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Just popping in to say Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan whips so much rear end :allears:

I remember wanting to track down the OVA when I heard it in a trailer on some godforsaken VHS ADV Films put out. It's just... a bop, as the kids say. It even lead me to many years later picking up the Sakura Wars 5! Which was... you know, okay, considering but every time I hear the song it still grabs me.

Now I will go back to pacing and waiting the arrival of Kanna.