Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the commander outright talked about the mechs on the phone and our hero still can't put two and two together?

I mean, officers being picked for enthusiasm over clear thinking isn't out of character for Japan at the time, but geeze, man.

Also, gotta say the Sumire dynamic isn't working for me now. Sakura and Ichiro, sure. She's nice, he's new here, it's all moving way too fast for the kind of innocent affection they're trying for, but the basic dynamics are solid.

For Sumire, meanwhile, the haughty character dynamic tends to work better with someone who pushes back. Gives both characters room to form strong personalities, and lets them develop in natural ways without losing the initial spark. But Ichiro's being a doormat here, and it means he's more of an accessory for her than a character in his own right. It also means that Sumire has to be generically arrogant rather than putting in the effort to snipe at Ichiro specifically.

Then again, I've seen worse protagonists in strategy RPGs with dating elements. Especially Corrin.

At any rate, the most important thing to remember in a mech dating sim is this: If a girl gives you an invitation to her birthday party, rip it up and promise to kill her. Girls in mech anime love that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

It's interesting to see how quickly some of the ladies are taking to flirting with Ichiro in this game when my only prior experience for this franchise has been the anime & OVAs, where at most Sakura and Ichiro end up in a more platonic siblings-like relationship than anything else. Because dear lord ladies he just showed up today.

Look, I've seen enough Gundam to know how this works. You need to work fast in any romantic relationship, because as soon as it's even implied, a timer starts counting down until one or both of you dies horribly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Aha! There's your problem! This isn't Gundam at all! All the mecha pilots (except one) are adults! With (mostly) healthy relationships!

Look they're doing their best with Iris she kind of got the short end of the stick but she's not for romance she's for headpats.

Also nobody's trying to drop a space colony on Australia, so definitely not Gundam.

Looking up the ages, most of the cast is teenagers. Ichiro, Kanna, and Maria are 19 (Same age as Kou Uraki in Stardust Memories, Bernie "Burger" Wiseman in War in the Pocket, and Bright Noa in the original Gundam), Kohran and Sakura are 17 (Same age as Kamille Bidan in Zeta, Loran Cehack in Turn A, and Seabook Arno in F91), Sumire's 16 (same age as Kira Yamato from SEED, Shinn Asuka from SEED Destiny, Setsuna F. Seiya in 00 season 1, Banagher Links in Unicorn, and Amuro Ray himself in the back half of the original Gundam), and Iris is 9 (Younger than any Gundam protagonist, including the ones who only fight with plastic models. Most characters in her age range tend to be tagalong orphans and the like, with the odds shifting further once you drop the Ples from the math.).

Even sticking to character's ages as of their first appearance, Domon Kasshu, Shiro Amada, Sven Cal Bayang, Selene McGriff, Oliver May, and Christina Mackenzie were all older than any of this game's pilots.

Some of them had relatively healthy relationships. Some had total tire fires visible from orbit. Neither set avoided ridiculous amounts of tragedy and drama, because Gundam protagonists getting into relationships is a sign for the universe to just start killing in hopes of tagging at least one of them in the blast radius.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. In fact, I expect it won't. But I am saying that this is a genre where you can't afford to wait.

From the dating sim end, of course, it's well known that denseness is a massive turn-on for people in the genre, making our hero's inability to figure out what's going tremendously attractive to those around him. (See the case file for Claes, C. for one of the most extreme examples)

Basically, both ends of the genre encourage extreme speed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fyodor? Good taste, Maria.

Interesting that a soldier in the Russian revolution would be reading such a Christian novel, but great art is great art.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

starbucks hermit posted:

I love the different outfits that everyone puts on. Either Kohran's glasses are indestructible or she has a million of 'em. (or they don't have lenses and are, oddly enough, purely cosmetic)

There's a glint on them that says she has lenses.

I'm torn. Both "Have hundreds of spare glasses" and "treated glasses to be invulnerable" seem very in-character.