Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ariza posted:

I was about to say going the distance raises her stock a bit, makes her look a little better than Cyborg/Holm/Rousey because they were finished by Nunes. Then I was checking wikipedia and saw that she fought de Randamie to a decision last year. I know I watched it but I have no recollection of it. de Randamie is still terrible and nobody cares about her.

IIRC de Randamie actually had some success in the stand up so Nunes went to a grappling heavy strategy and she was unable to stop the takedowns at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Memento posted:

I'd Gian Villante moving up? Isn't Maurice Green a legit 6'7" 265-er?

Yeah, it's a planned move up for Villante, he was supposed to fight Ben Rothwell on the original UFC 249 card before it was cancelled. Then they got rescheduled but each with different opponents for some reason. Villante has always had a heavyweight gas tank so it makes sense.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I remember seeing an interview with Cody McKenzie I think about how when they complained about Jean Charles after their first session with him, GSP was able to explain the actual concept of the show to him (and to please not injure my fighters) and the next time he came back he was much nicer and taught them stuff instead of just kicking their rear end.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Nunes/Shevchenko 2 was a fairly controversial decision IIRC, and their first fight had some pretty interesting extreme momentum shifts too. During the post event discussion before the UFC 250 PPV ended, Rogan kept bringing up Valentina as a possibility because even with the series officially 2-0 in favor of Nunes, Shevchenko is the only one for a while now that's been able to really compete with her.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
A bunch of moderators left for some forum drama reason, fatherdog asked to be banned and Lowtax (the one person on the forum he couldn't "nope" his way through an argument with) did indeed ban him. The wrestling moderator at the time also left and that's when they installed a new wrestling moderator and decided to not have a dedicated MMA one anymore, and honestly the community is now dead enough that it's not needed. Although I think fatherdog's departure really hurt the MMA portion of this forum in general.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
And also my last sentence doesn't mean that I think Jerusalem does a bad job as mod but having a mod that was very knowledgeable about the sport and actively engaging in discussion about it was cool to have.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Rich Clementi vs. Rumble was so long ago that it was when the UFC still had taglines for their PPVs, UFC 76: Knockout (there were no knockouts on the card)

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I remember Jinh Yu Frey from this cool KO from one of her non-Invicta fights, the way she walks away is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFKrX7BYy_Y

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lid posted:

dont remember but there used to be a way to see who each journalist ranked in their individual rankings

It was on ufc.com itself, that was how you could see that this salty Brazilian guy dropped Conor McGregor in the rankings after he KO'd Aldo.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/one-brazilian-journalist-was-extremely-bitter-after-ufc-194-judging-by-his-p4p-voting-32041

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I have no intention of joining a cspam off site, so I joined the discord to shitpost during cards if people do that on there.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Gian Villante went on the Big Country diet for his move to heavyweight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJg_LuRLD-M&t=95s

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ariza posted:

Can anyone confirm for me that the fights tonight will be on ESPN+? I'm getting conflicting information. Also, I thought those were usually called "UFC on ESPN+" I don't have a cable company login for regular ESPN.

When I pull the app up, it shows it listed but I think that might just be the prelims.

All of the fight night cards lately have been getting aired on the ESPN cable channel, probably so they have something live to air with most of the sports leagues in limbo still, but I think you should be able to watch it on ESPN+ as well. The UFC website lists both for the main card.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It reminded me of Joe Rogan getting really angry when Sage Northcutt tapped out to what ended up being a sore throat.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

The Automator posted:

Is smith a sports caster or commentator? They’re two pretty different jobs really and anik is really good at his

Jimmy Smith had a brief MMA career and was always a color commentator which is the role that former fighters usually fall into. I seem to remember the UFC using him more as a desk analyst on Fox Sports than doing live commentary.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Jon Anik is really dry to me but I think I like that better than somebody who is annoying and I feel actually detracts from the experience by being there, like Mauro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
He gets some pretty good deadpan jokes in sometimes too.