Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Reposting it in this thread:

beep by grandpa posted:

I've been watching a lot of MMA and boxing compilation vids today and was thinking about how much it must suck see yourself on the wrong end of somebody else's highlight reel.

That said, who do you think has been on the losing end of other fighters' highlight reels the most frequent? Who is the biggest jobber in MMA??

Overeem has got to be in the running for this.

In fact Overeem has to have the highest ratio of fights to decisions right? 65 pro fights and 8 decisions is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Vitor has been in quite a few too.

Vitor is absolutely up there since he has been finished by a who's-who of fighters. Machida, Mousasi, Souza, Weidman, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Overeem, Couture, Lidell. That's quite the pedigree.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The problem with Conor theory crafting is that he has a literal puncher's chance against almost any reasonable opponent still. We still haven't seen him against bigger welterweights so who knows how that would go. Usman is pretty big at WW.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

yea ok posted:

jon jones is 100% right in this dispute. don't tell on yourself just because he's a poo poo head

yep.

mewse posted:

Oh so now he was asking for more money? Get your story straight you insufferable cokehead

he has never ever said he didn't want more money. I don't know where people got that idea.

Yall Jon Jones sucks poo poo but fighter pay is busted as loving hell from multiple angles.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1270409418233053184?s=20

lmao this motherfucker is cursed. Wasn't he literally just in Vegas???

e: oh I see, this fight is on FIGHT ISLAND

leftist heap fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 9, 2020

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
John Danahair

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HeidiFang/status/1271492913889808384?s=20

<grimacing emoji>

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nierbo posted:

How the heck does a MMA promotion not be able to match UFC's offer. And UFC are only paying 10/10 for new fighters. That means the guy was getting less than that before?

UFC contracts are exclusive lol.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

CRISPYBABY posted:

Oi but what about his weird pea shaped head

turn your monitor on!!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

rest his guts posted:

For sure. But Ige is also pretty tough so I think it’ll go all 3.

Is brawler not a good adjective for Kattar? Last two were pretty violent

Maybe the brawler connotation negates his skill? I dunno

His fights are violent cause he has insane power. He busted up Fishgold's face real good with some pretty innocuous seeming jabs and had that absolutely beautiful knockout of Lamas off a jab feint. I think he can look brawly sometimes cause he knows how to step in for combos but protect himself pretty well if they don't succeed.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

LobsterMobster posted:

I couldn't find a better source (like instagram or w/e) but here's the time Joe Lauzon fought Dan Lauzon in the front yard of the Lauzon Family BBQ

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=217326379262678

This is incredible lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just realized that Hooker/Poirier in the smaller cage is gonna be kind of wild. I think it's gonna be a disadvantage for Hooker, who doesn't exactly take control of the certain (although he doesn't get backed down too badly either). I think it's gonna be like the Felder fight except Poirier is a lot better at basically everything than Paul Felder.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

SA Forums Poster posted:

Its probably a good topic for a separate thread, but combat sports are filled with the most despicable people. Yet we have no problems being fans.

Just something to think about, the UFC employs Qanon supporters, women beaters, white supremacists, and worst of all Trump advocates. Being a fan/buying PPVs/merchandise means that your money is directly going to those people.

Just something to think about.

It was only a sixer, I probably over-reacted, and I'll probably get another probation, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty much everyone here acknowledges that MMA is filled with terrible people, and we talk about it plenty. If anything this thread is better at acknowledging that reality and discussing it than some OTHER adjacent sports/threads I can think of.

The portion of people here giving money directly to the UFC is also probably very, very low.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i have found streams to be pretty good these days. Fight Pass is an absolutely awful value with the ESPN deal now.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Brut posted:

ESPN+ works poorly sometimes, and doesn't show you poo poo happening between rounds, either one of these on their own is a dealbreaker for me. I pay $9 for fightpass instead of $5 for ESPN, the difference is like...less than a sandwich, and I also get to not watch ads for random products.

Yeah sorry I worded that badly, I don't think ESPN+ is good, it's just with the deal and now even Fight Nights not being on Fight Pass it's really not as good a deal these days. Their geoblocking seems to have gotten smarter too.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I didn't realize Fight Nights were still on US fight pass. In which case it is TSN's fault that Fight Pass is useless.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think forcing people up a weight class if they cut too much is an OK solution TBH.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

If you want to watch teh fights on US or Canada fight pass the best way is to move your router to japan and then close and reopen your browser before going to fight pass.

How much does it cost to ship my router to Japan

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
FightPass has not worked for me on VPN the last few times I tried it, but maybe I'll give Japan/Korea a try.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Cut too much as in they miss weight? And forcing them when, for all subsequent fights?

It's based on how much weight they put back on after weigh-ins. Aspen Ladd got dinged by this last year by CSAC after showing fighting at 159 after weighing in at 135. She was suspended from fighting at bantamweight in California temporarily. I forget what hoops she had to jump through to get the suspension lifted but I don't think it was that crazy.

SA Forums Poster posted:

When these fighters move up a weight class, you know they bulk additional muscle to compete with the other people in their division.

In practice almost everyone who moves up a division ends up doing way less severe weight cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

The CSAC protocol will flat-out not work unless it is adopted by all or nearly all AC's. Anyone told by CA that they cant fight at x weight can just be scheduled to fight somewhere else.

It is really also the only plausible way to cut down on weight cutting. If the AC's don't start putting restrictions on fighters who put too much weight back on, then there's not a lot we can do.

Agreed