Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
In case you haven't been following along:

There is a class action lawsuit against the UFC about fighter pay.

To defend itself, the UFC submitted paperwork that showed that they pay between 16-18% of their revenue each year to fighter pay. (This number was submitted by the UFC directly, it helps their case to show a higher %, it has stayed under 20% for the past 8 years.)
NFL is around 48% of revenue to players.
NBA has been between 57-49%
The year before Strikeforce was bought by the UFC, Strikeforce was paying out 75%, then 63% during the year it was acquired.

Jon Jones is a poo poo head, but ALL UFC fighters could have their pay doubled, and still be taking a lower percentage of revenue than all of the other popular sports.

e: I don't have time to add in boxing, but if you compare UFC's top draws vs boxings top draws, UFC pay gets even worse.

ee: Multiple UFC media has mentioned that no UFC fighter they have talked to has ever gotten a royalty check from the Rebook deal for merchandise sold.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

CommonShore posted:

What percentage of most major league revenue goes to coaching staff?

I know football coaches get paid millions, but I have no idea. I don't think I've ever heard of coaches complaining about pay.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

HAHA!!
In the late 1980s, a coach who led their team to the Super Bowl earned about $295,000. Now, the average coach makes about $6 million, according to Forbes.
https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/02/9324843/how-much-nfl-coaches-make-salary

NFL coaches in the 80's make more than 99% of UFC fighters 40 years later.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Brut posted:

Royalty isn't a thing that just magically happens, it requires an actual deal in place stating that you will get royalty payments.

Are the fighters saying they have such a deal in place but just aren't getting the checks?

When the Rebok deal was initial announced Dana "would I lie to you" White said 100% would go to the fighters.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmziaVk9nrE&t=117s

Dana White: "The UFC won't make a dime" off of the Reebok deal. "And we are giving all the money to the fighters"

"Anything that sells they are getting 20% of"

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 8, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Brut posted:

I'm not a lawyer but "Dana said or implied it at a presser" is not a contract.

I'm not a lawyer either, but getting paid $12,000 to fight in the biggest combat sport organization in the world is bullshit.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Brut posted:

He's gonna keep being able to lie about everything as long as a large percentage of the fighters in the organization (rather than just 3-5 loud dudes on Twitter) collectively demand better deals and get it in writing.

The UFC is a monopoly. They will cut you if you try to organize.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

I'm not arguing with anyone, just stating that every UFC fighter is underpaid.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

All this stuff about fighter pay is true, but tbh it has gently caress all to do with Jon Jones, the guy who canned an entire card when he had a tantrum.

The UFC canned the card. The UFC didn't have a signed fight agreement with Jon Jones. I would blame the UFC for making these cards so weak that if a main event fighter get injured, the rest of the card is so horrible it can't continue.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

UFC fans: fighters are independent contractors, if they want more money they shouldn't have signed the contract!
Also UFC fans: the fighters are at fault for refusing to do things that aren't in their signed contracts!

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Dana White might not be able to afford that third gold plated gun, and will have to cut back snorting cocaine to just twice a day if fighters get more money.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Removed a bad joke

I saw it, and it was a good joke.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

This is hilarious:
https://twitter.com/dilletaunt/status/1181998272358932480

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

pseudodragon posted:

What happens to the win bonus if there’s a draw or no contest?

They don't get it. If a fighter's opponent drops out of the fight, the fighter who still showed up are lucky to even get the "show" money. For example, you prepare three months for your fight paying: food, rent, transportation, training, coaches, etc. You weigh in on fight night, your opponent drops out for whatever reason (its fairly common), you get paid your $12k show money only.

Vengarr posted:

Contractually they don’t get it. Sometimes Dana awards it anyway though. Typically if it’s a hard-fought draw or a screwiob DQ/NC.

This is another way the UFC controls fighters. If you are a good company man who never acts out or talks publicly about unions or low pay, occasionally the UFC will also pay half of the "win" bonus.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

I thought it was higher, but apparently UFC still pays $10,000/$10,000 to newly signed fighters:

https://twitter.com/RWeezy02/status/1271166481217306625

e: Jamahal Hill signed from Dana White's Contender Series with a TKO victory there, 6-0 record, and gets $10k/$10k

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 11, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

https://twitter.com/RWeezy02/status/1272593999832940544

Payouts for Saturday's fights.

That is Anthony Ivy's first fight in 9 months and made $15,500, same with Gustavo Lopez, hasn't fought in 10 months, made $15,500 total, before taxes and expenses.

e: Web calculators say that they will need to pay $2,190 for social security and medicare. Plus what they pay their manager and coaches.

ee:
Say 10% for a manager and 20% for coaches/gym.
$1,550
$3,100
$2,190
=
$8,660 for 9-10 months.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 15, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

CocoaNuts posted:

Now I know I got played. Won't happen a second time. Game on.

:cawg:

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

https://twitter.com/dilletaunt/status/1273058341934084102
Re: Dana White was banging a stripper, stripper's boyfriend texts Dana. Dana pretends he is a girl to escape.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Nis posted:

honestly seems like a good way to get a mad boyfriend to stop texting you

Its funny to me, Dana White who calls professional fighters pussies for not taking any fight at any time, and called the MMA media weak for wanting protection from Covid-19. Now Dana gets a text from a random guy and is so scared he pretends to be a woman. Got a chuckle out of me.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Brut posted:

Yo this had me real confused for a minute, I thought it was the same person just literally posting the same thing he said the other day.

Anyway I'm now more than ever convinced that every single person with a recent regdate posting in here (SA Forums Poster and the two quoted above) is a rereg, but either way nobody gives a poo poo if you're old or new or whatever, :justpost: (but better).

Yeah, I'm fatherdog, AMA

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

https://twitter.com/StevenRaeMMA/status/1275464687195426816
20%....

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Lowtax lost a highly public boxing match.
He is bad with money.
He has been married/divorced 3, 4 times?
Multiple children from multiple women.
Accusations of physical abuse from his partners.

I'm surprised Fight Island isn't more of a fan of his, he sounds like the typical UFC fighter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

SA Forums Poster posted:

Lowtax lost a highly public boxing match.
He is bad with money.
He has been married/divorced 3, 4 times?
Multiple children from multiple women.
Accusations of physical abuse from his partners.

I'm surprised Fight Island isn't more of a fan of his, he sounds like the typical UFC fighter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WTF Jerusalem, do you not realize that a large chunk of combat sport fighters have domestic abuse charges against them?
You have made it clear that you aren't knowledgeable about MMA, but do your research. There are very good odds that you've cheered for a woman beater in the UFC before, without knowing about it.

God drat, I know you have personal issues with me, but gently caress, just leave me alone on the last few days of these dead forums.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Brut posted:

Your post wasn't about UFC fighters, it was about the posters of this forum, saying that we should be more of a fan of Lowtax because he's a domestic abuser.

To my knowledge, every time someone uninformed comes in and say they like the look of X fighter who is actually a piece of poo poo, multiple posters immediately chime in letting them know of the incidents, and the original uninformed person comes back with "Oh, well gently caress that guy then".

gently caress, people here thought I was seriously defending lowtax? and not making a snarky comment?

e:
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1275857073285324800?s=19

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 25, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

kimbo305 posted:

He’s on his bicycle now, DC.

Now I know I got played. Won't happen a *looks at notes* sixth time. Game on.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Brut posted:

It was a snarky comment at the expense of this entire community on the subject of domestic abuse, if you just wrote the "sounds like a typical UFC figher" part without the "I'm surprised ya'll aren't a bigger fan of his" part I wouldn't give a single gently caress, you can make fun of UFC all you want.

Anyway I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt going forward that you didn't mean it that way, and I feel like I've said enough to clarify why what you ended up typing was hurtful, so I'm gonna drop the subject.

Its probably a good topic for a separate thread, but combat sports are filled with the most despicable people. Yet we have no problems being fans.

Just something to think about, the UFC employs Qanon supporters, women beaters, white supremacists, and worst of all Trump advocates. Being a fan/buying PPVs/merchandise means that your money is directly going to those people.

Just something to think about.

It was only a sixer, I probably over-reacted, and I'll probably get another probation, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

piratepilates posted:

the real solution is to stop the entire need for cutting weight, everything else is just patching up a hole with duct tape.

Cutting weight will always happen as long as there are weight classes.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

leftist heap posted:

I think forcing people up a weight class if they cut too much is an OK solution TBH.

When these fighters move up a weight class, you know they bulk additional muscle to compete with the other people in their division.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

https://twitter.com/alexscaffidi_/status/1277041037920305152

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

Can we shut the gently caress up on the back seat modding and talk about how a fat guy tapped out because someone was hugging him too tightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

I used to like DC, but then THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!!

He gets a little TOO emotional for my tastes.