Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

Red Alert: Soviet Mission 5

This is pretty evil but there's one weird trick that will make it really simple.

There's three caveats to the trick:
- Do it in under 15 minutes
- Don't walk through the cell triggers in the middle of the island
- Don't build a sub pen

The MCV leaves for the island at the 15 minute mark, or when you hit the gau1 trigger, marked on the map (dark red).
The thing is, that MCV never actually goes to the island, it just travels off the map then a NEW transport + MCV spawns and travels to the island.
If you build a subpen the MCV leaves.
But it doesn't if you drop paratroopers on the island.

The fsal trigger (yellow) happens when you destroy both turrets and the refinery (and both production buildings, the barracks and naval yard) forcing the AI to sell all its poo poo.

The cycp trigger on the construction yard happens when the barracks and navalyard are destroyed and you've captured the construction yard, sending an engineer filled APC to that con yard, if you don't capture the construction yard it instead sends the engineer APC to your base in bottom left.

easth2 triggers after 15 minutes sending a transport with some units, easth1 at 20 minutes
grnf2 happens when the mcv on the island deploys, so kill it before it can deploy or you'll have 3 medium tanks to deal with.

So if I'm reading this right, the strategy to make this less of a headache is to never build a subpen and drop paratroopers on the island and in doing so you'll guarantee the AI never builds the doom base on the island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Ahahahaha...I did GDI 12B without knowing about the crate (despite their being a SAM site right loving there, go me) and by slamming my dick into the base. :gibs: I had sold a bunch of my poo poo to help pay for building my army (guard towers provide a fuckton of minigunners/obelisk chaff). Attacked via the north gate and made sure my Engi APC stayed up in the top of the base until I could capture as much as I could, including the power plants to shut down the obelisks.

Somehow beat it on the first try!

I just did 12A and my strategy was to blow a hole in the wall, then use an APC loaded up with Engineers to capture the Construction Yard, Power Plants and Airstrip, immediately sold them and then followed up with another strike on the refinery and Hand of NOD. If your APC dies you have to restart but I think this would work pretty well for 12B too.

Spookydonut posted:

I've updated the soviet mission 5 post, turns out I misread the triggers and ANY unit on the island including paratroopers triggers the mcv escape to the island.

Ah, so there's no easy way to cheese it now unless you speedrun it and finish it in under 15 minutes?

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 10, 2020

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dino mission 3 made me super paranoid about checking behind every tree. At least I don't get ambushed by flame troopers or dogs anymore :v:

I cheesed mission 4 with sandbags because gently caress that poo poo. Dinos are goddamn ridiculous.

:agreed:. Also the raptors regen on kill too.

I'm doing the Dino missions now and for Dino 4 I just turtled up and built Obelisks then baited the Raptor Forest of Doom into lasers.

But christ that was a slog. Mission 3 is also a real pain. The RA Ant missions are much, much better.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just finished every Tiberian Dawn mission on hard :toot: and I would love to see the "intended" solution to a lot of the Covert Ops missions, especially Elemental Imperative and Blindsided on the GDI side and Deceit and Eviction Notice on the NOD side.

Deceit was nearly impossible because the AI built Advanced Guard Towers up in the northeast base which I didn't see on the map nor mentioned in any walkthroughs. Had to just say gently caress it and sell everything to throw minigunners at the meat grinder.

Eviction Notice I could only manage with sandbag cheese because it was way too hard to guard all the approaches and the GDI base had what seemed like infinite troops.

Your map of Under Siege was extraordinarily helpful. Went from a really difficult mission to not so bad with strategically placed artillery and knowing not to kill off everyone in one of the blockades.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Oh wow this is really helpful. So basically you should never hit that Comms center. no wonder NOD was swarming with guys.