Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Last week I was cruising the used section at my LGS and something caught my eye. It looked like a Hi-power at first glance, but the price was way too low. I thought maybe they had the wrong placard on it, but it was actually one of these oddities:

Some googling revealed it's a re-branded FEG P9R, which is itself a sort of Hi-Power clone with S&W model 59 guts. This kind of weird poo poo is extremely my jam. Let's see what's inside.

Looks pretty mint. Two mags and a cleaning rod basking in oil.

Slide mounted de-cocker.

The mags are nothing special

Sights are a bit smaller than I'm used to, but I'll give them a chance.

Overall I am really impressed with the build quality of a sub $300 USD gun. The trigger feels good. I don't have a scale but I'd guess it's in the 6 lb range with a nice break. I've never owned a real Hi-Power so I can't compare, but it feels very good in my hand. Haven't fired it yet but I hope to next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That is so loving weird. loving A+ buy for that price.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Now I want one. gently caress.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

Now I want one. gently caress.

For that price?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I have no idea what they originally went for or what they're actually worth. Google just turned up a few auctions for deactivated ones i the UK so maybe that's where LGS got their price.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I've always liked FEG Hi-Powers and found their S&W/HiPower hybrids interesting.

Thermos posted:

I have no idea what they originally went for or what they're actually worth. Google just turned up a few auctions for deactivated ones i the UK so maybe that's where LGS got their price.

I think when they were new in the late 80s/early 90s they were around $3-400.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

That rules, Hi-powers rule, good find. That's about how the sights look on my Hungarian HP clone.

Sucks about the slide safety though blech

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Admiral Bosch posted:

That rules, Hi-powers rule, good find. That's about how the sights look on my Hungarian HP clone.

Sucks about the slide safety though blech

Thanks! Out of curiosity what is so bad about slide safeties? I hear a lot of debate about safeties and decockers, but my handguns are all range toys so I never paid much attention.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Thermos posted:

Thanks! Out of curiosity what is so bad about slide safeties? I hear a lot of debate about safeties and decockers, but my handguns are all range toys so I never paid much attention.

Oh just personal preference. I think they're mounted too high to be used comfortably plus I think they break up the lines of the gun from an aesthetic sensibility. My first slide mounted safety was on a military M9 and I hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Imagine the shame of Taurus copying your design and improving it. (If only in a singular, small way)