Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

There's some fights tonight, most of them are at Bantamweight or Featherweight, one of them is for a belt.

We're still using the 25 foot wide cage (regular one is 30) so expect to see a little bit more action than usual.

If you're reading this, the event has started.

Rogan, Cormier and Anik doing commentary.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh poo poo I actually just realized Herbert Burns is younger than Gilbert, I thought he was actually an older and less good brother (in the style of Antonina Shevchenko), anyway he's got the first fight of the night and he should be getting in the cage in about 15-20 minutes.

Aye Doc posted:

these fights look bad, and i am here for them. let us go, bad fights.

Nah, tonight's gonna own. Though the main and co-main are gonna end in quick and predictable ways.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

rest his guts posted:

If Nunes' conditioning is on point I think she wins in 5.

Rounds or minutes? I'm thinking minutes.

rest his guts posted:

Also shoutout to Enumclaw, WA native Chase Hooper. Love to see the skinny bastards represent

Hell yeah, still the youngest dude on the roster as far as I know, should be fun.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

rest his guts posted:

I mean she has a win over Meagan Anderson and held her own against Cyborg. FW is a pretty thin division

That's basically the sum total of her credentials though, 6 Invicta fights and 3 UFC fights, and the lady they gave her after Cyborg was a complete unknown. This will be her 10th pro fight total.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I can't tell you anything about this next fight coming up other than it's the heaviest weight class fight we have on tonight's card.

Looks like Menifield has no decisions on his record, this might be quick.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

drat this is pretty competitive fight, looks like the eye isn't bad enough that it'll get stopped before the second round.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

They really need to tell refs to cut this "come on guys work" poo poo out, especially this fast, and ESPECIALLY when there's not a loving crowd booing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

Devin Clark's cornerman constantly screaming "You're in a fight!" is definitely good coaching.

DIG DEEP!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Huh, when I heard unanimous with a 30-27 I thought it was gonna be a hosed up decision the other way. Oh well, I think 29-28 Clark is probably correct, so same result either way.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao we're not even out of the early prelims and Rogan already isn't getting fighter names right

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Can we just have all UFC cards from now on in the smaller cage? Loving these leg kick TKOs

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ouch.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Well that was weird.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Leg trip TKO, kinda? Cool, I guess.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Caption Yaypants posted:

Was it those elbows or how body shots can take a few seconds before the fighter reacts maybe? My reaction was the same as DC.

Probably everything combined.

I think Byrd's retiring.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I believe that Brian Kelleher will be the second person to have two UFC fights without a crowd, Burns was the first since he fought in that one Brazil event before they shut it all down, but Kelleher fought in one of the Jacksonville events less than a month ago, very quick turnaround.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

i can still taste him posted:

I hope they gave him the option of not doing this interview. He is holding up well tho.

They probably didn't explicitly ask him about it, but we've had fighters just yell something and walk out of the cage before, so probably in theory any of them are free to just walk away if they want to, though it would be a bit weirder to do that when you're being handed a headset by production people rather than just make the visual gesture of walking out of the cage.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao Rogan sounded a bit upset at DC saying he bets a million dollars

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone know where you have to live or how long you have to drive to train at altitude but sleep at sea level?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

California maybe? I could in NH I suppose, but altitude is maybe 5,000 feet. I live at sea level and could be on top of Mount Washington in a couple hours, though there's no gym there lol

Yeah I wasn't even thinking about the "is there a gym there" part, I just mean that sounds like driving 5+ hours a day.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

rest his guts posted:

DC sounds giddy-drunk. Maybe just an overgrown baby

He's been stuck in his hotel room since Wednesday of last week, since he worked the last event too, he loving had a TV delivered to him from Walmart just to have a bigger screen to play NBA 2k on. (which he intends to return when he's done with it, lmao)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oops, missed the first minute of the fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

DC getting mixed up about which Teymur brother Chase fought is pretty funny. Also they need to stop calling him "the kid".

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

thought hooper being that much of a favorite seemed way ahead of itself

Yeah I was rooting for Chase to win but -220 seemed like bad odds, realistically.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

"I know I'm a gatekeeper right now, but today I proved that I'm not" (By keeping that gate) lmao

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

I was just reading an old Dave Meltzer article about Ben Askren and got hype to see the spirit of him alive in another MMA fighter, but boy this kid kinda stinks

They were only comparing him to Askren because their hair looks similar and Hooper kept joking around telling people that Askren was his dad.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Did 6ix9ine decide to become a fighter?

We can only dream to one day watch someone get paid to punch that dude in the face.

Sean O'malley's just a big stoner dude though.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

What's the excuse for the smaller octagon?

Small venue.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo watching Wineland's mustache loving twitching on the slowmo hahahahaha

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I was wondering why they were doing a Jessica Eye video package and oh yeah, this is the main event of the next card

Yeah I was also quite confused about that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I hadn’t seen this card yet and this might be the worst card ever.

Holy poo poo yeah...doesn't look good.

Merab vs Borg might be kinda fun, but that's about it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

"It's not 5 feet total, it's 2.5 feet on each side (half)" Ok I might be getting on board about that whole DC's on drugs thing...

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

He meant each of the eight sides, but yeah

Oh like opposite panels being 5 closer apart but the length of each of the 8 panels is 2.5 feet less? yeah I guess that makes more sense.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

rest his guts posted:

Honestly can't call R1 or 2. Slight edge to Martin?

Yeah same, I have no clue.

Shumagorath posted:

You say this but so many trash cards have turned in amazing fights I don't know what to think, but I wouldn't pay up front.

It's not a PPV.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dude there was a right hand against the cage there that I think the only reason Rocco didn't fall over was that Magny combo'd it straight in to a takedown attempt

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

hahahahahahaha Rocco heard two 30-27s and thought he won, holy poo poo wow.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

10-8 third maybe? is nv under the new rules at this poinr?

Yes but it's the same judges judging for years and years and several of them have been on record saying they basically ignore the judging criteria anyway.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

30-27 Magni is a powerfully duuuuuuuuuumb score

What do you mean? First two rounds were close and third round was an absolute domination, could've been 30-26, could've also been 28-28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

Maybe I wasn't watching it as closely as I thought but I thought round 1 was clearly 10-9 for Martin. It's barely worth arguing about though to be honest

Yeah I mean my opinion of rounds 1 and 2 is much more strongly "almost nothing happened" than it is that one or the other fighter won :shrug: