Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh wait, that's already every YOSPOS thread. Never mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

is it every yospos thread that we pretend or

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Yes!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

in it voted 5

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oppa gangnam style

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

oppa gangnam style

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dabbing at the dinner table after my dad jokes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

oppa gangnam style

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

but i don't want to tiktok

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i was never relevant.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

oppa gangnam style

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i was never relevant.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
this thread is on fleek

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

i was never relevant.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yagshemash vaery naice

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

i was never relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBe6Q_76cE

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I love stairs!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I can't really beat this Twitter account by the great comic Katie Stone: https://twitter.com/agingliberal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

yagshemash vaery naice

this never gets old

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
this shook thread is hella sus and cringe

smdh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this thread is fresh, yo

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

the older i get, the worse at computers i get

happened to my dad too.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Good Sphere posted:

the older i get, the worse at computers i get

happened to my dad too.

my dad still deleted folders to uninstall in windows xp

i just remove the icon from my desktop like the kids do on their phones :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most kids who are “good at computers” are really just ok at the internet and average with windows and benefit from decades of progress which makes building a pc that works first go a breeze

show them a command line and watch their pants fill with poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
in my day we had to manually resolve irq conflicts. often with jumpers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s not like kids these days are too dim witted to learn those skills or whatever, younger kids are probably smarter than us in some ways, it’s just that because kids don’t really have to spend any time doing that poo poo so you only excel at what you do but they spend most of their time just using the internet not getting the internet going in the first place. and generally I reckon spend less time proportionally solving computer problems, so yeah, they might be good at computers but can’t fix poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
old people like me became good at computer because we had no choice. computers were unusable garbage and doing anything was difficult, so you had to learn how to fix things if you were going to use it. in the same way my dad can fix anything on a car and i can’t. he had to know that stuff because cars of his time were much more prone to breaking down and had to be fixed often.

kids today don’t have to be good at computers to use them. they don’t need to know how to fix them. so they aren’t. of course there are plenty of nerds who are good at computer, but they’re not the majority.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
one time I saw my neighbor's kid lying on the grass outside using her tablet, so I asked her(?) what she was doing on the computer. she responded

"what's a computer?"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
which is why for a lot time I’m gonna be better at computers than my kids. I got a lot of joy out of using all sorts of software from 3D poo poo to Mathematica to solidworks to photoshop to audio poo poo, just exploring every single menu item, every setting.
because everything is so easy these days and a YouTube can help you make something so you don’t fumble ya way through something and learning lots on the way. maybe

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Schadenboner confirmed Jeffrey Katzenberg parachute.

do you need ideas for quiby shows?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
yeet

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

YOLO
O
L
O

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

old people like me became good at computer because we had no choice. computers were unusable garbage and doing anything was difficult, so you had to learn how to fix things if you were going to use it. in the same way my dad can fix anything on a car and i can’t. he had to know that stuff because cars of his time were much more prone to breaking down and had to be fixed often.

kids today don’t have to be good at computers to use them. they don’t need to know how to fix them. so they aren’t. of course there are plenty of nerds who are good at computer, but they’re not the majority.
To be fair (to you) regarding cars, cars are increasingly becoming black boxes you can't really work on easily. You practically have to yank the loving engine out of some vehicles to change parts that you could get at with the hood up on old vehicles.

My niece and nephew almost can't work a laptop via the keyboard- they instantly just go for the screen.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fabricated posted:

To be fair (to you) regarding cars, cars are increasingly becoming black boxes you can't really work on easily. You practically have to yank the loving engine out of some vehicles to change parts that you could get at with the hood up on old vehicles.

My niece and nephew almost can't work a laptop via the keyboard- they instantly just go for the screen.

pretty much, that said there's stil a lot of maintenance and small fixes you can do and it's actually not that hard. between obd2 reader and a little bit of know-how and looking at manual or other information, i've been able to keep my '01 accord running with quite a bit of work over the years. i would wager most people here, if they could get over the intimidation factor, could fix a lot of things; but the overwhelming biggest hurdle is having tools and area to work with and im pretty sure most people here rent apartments.

cars are just like a computer except they're running hemiarm x6 architecture

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 9, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xaris posted:

pretty much, that said there's stil a lot of maintenance and small fixes you can do and it's actually not that hard. between obd2 reader and a little bit of know-how and looking at manual or other information, i've been able to keep my '01 accord running with quite a bit of work over the years. i would wager most people here, if they could get over the intimidation factor, could fix a lot of things; but the overwhelming biggest hurdle is having tools and area to work with and im pretty sure most people here rent apartments.

cars are just like a computer except they're running hemiarm x6 architecture

pretty sure an 01 accord is gonna be far cry from a car made in the last 5 years, especially with yosposters' predilection for bougie german cars

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
working on any car sucks unless you have money and time and don’t care too much about breaking stuff

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
modern cars basically have to be reliable because working on them will make you want to bite your hand off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the point was that modern cars are so drat reliable and easy to use, you don’t need to know anything about car internals to use them. and today computers are the same way. you can buy a computer and never reinstall the os, configure a sound card, or even do anything for networking other than entering a WiFi password for the entire life of the device.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what does the fox say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I hear tiktok is pretty lit