Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
People who loudly proclaim "movies should be first and foremost entertainment" suffer from the same brain deformity that causes people to scream "shut up and play" to athletes and musicians. It's entitlement to the extreme and an attempt to censor and remove the artist from the arts, in effect denying the very quality that led to the creation of that art in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
:justpost:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Console Role Player posted:

People who loudly proclaim "movies should be first and foremost entertainment" suffer from the same brain deformity that causes people to scream "shut up and play" to athletes and musicians. It's entitlement to the extreme and an attempt to censor and remove the artist from the arts, in effect denying the very quality that led to the creation of that art in the first place.

I find this is typically said by white fans when a black athlete expresses an opinion that doesnt align with their own.

For example, Lebron James is about as good as anyone has ever been at anything. Hes also a natural leader and all around passionate guy. Its unsurprising hes been outspoken recently.

Telling him to shut up and dribble is just a way to silence him and maintain superiority despite the fact a (not so) young black guy is unequivocally better at life than some white sports fan.

In conclusion movies are a land of contrasts.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

okay if your argument is that movies don’t need to be entertaining, rad, but you’re also conceding that Kubrick’s work is not entertaining

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Console Role Player posted:

I think it's also the incredible degree of self-absorption that comes from thinking that anything you personally don't find entertaining is objectively bad and that anyone who claims to find enjoyment in it is just lying for inscrutable reasons. Kubrick brings it out of a lot of tedious nerds but David Lynch is the king of it, so many people legitimately think that all the people who love his movies are just faking it to look smart and it's such a narcissistic way to view the world that I legitimately pity them.

chaosbreather posted:

okay if your argument is that movies don’t need to be entertaining, rad, but you’re also conceding that Kubrick’s work is not entertaining

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGneCkQppLk

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

chaosbreather posted:

OH poo poo I'VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED! CAUGHT IN A LOGICAL SNARE OF MY OWN MAKING!

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 10, 2020

nut
Jul 30, 2019

this isn't about clocks or oranges

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I find it notable how people who can’t form a cogent argument on a free matter of taste find it necessary to armchair psychoanalyse them in a dehumanising way, talking about them like they weren’t present rather than engage in a discussion in good faith about a subject where there is no objective truth. It’s pretty good trolling I suppose but you have to wonder about their childhoods.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love and hate every movie ever made. Kneel before my infinite duality.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

lol what kind of simpleton watches movies?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

chaosbreather posted:

I find it notable how people who can’t form a cogent argument on a free matter of taste find it necessary to armchair psychoanalyse them in a dehumanising way, talking about them like they weren’t present rather than engage in a discussion in good faith about a subject where there is no objective truth. It’s pretty good trolling I suppose but you have to wonder about their childhoods.

I hope you get terrorized by Jack Nicholson forever until you stop posting because you really suck.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

chaosbreather posted:

teehee

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
goons, I have something to confess

it's common knowledge that Kubrick had to change his name when he went to Hollywood because there was already a director named Cube Rick

but what many don't know is that he had a son named Cube Owen who went to work for Nintendo,

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Daikloktos posted:

Is this thread about the blood skeleton in the elevator?

tell me more about the blood skeleton in the elevator, please

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Pawn 17 posted:

lol what kind of simpleton watches movies?

I don't even own a movie theatre :smuggo:

Life is the best movie and your eyes the best camera :jerkbag:

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
In Eyes Wide Shut you can see Kubrick seated at a booth in the jazz club where Tom Cruise meets Nick Nightengale.

This guy couldn't even do a cameo right. Instead of pretending to talk with the other patrons, or just sit watching the band, this joke of a director just STARES at Tom Cruise while he's being seated, like he can't stop directing for even a second to do the simple job of making an inconspicuous cameo.

That idiot. Clown! Complete moron!

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
some people watch eyes wide shut and dont understand the somerton party is a dream

some people watch a clockwork orange and think the ludovico technique was meant to actually work

some people only like the first half of full metal jacket

and thats okay, some movies aren't for everyone

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

sex excellence posted:

some people watch eyes wide shut and dont understand the somerton party is a dream

some people watch a clockwork orange and think the ludovico technique was meant to actually work

some people only like the first half of full metal jacket

and thats okay, some movies aren't for everyone

You mean like Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
kubrick's "smart babies", about babies who are smart, in fact contains many subtle references to dumb babies

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

chaosbreather posted:

I find all of his movies entertaining. I also find Final Four Basketball entertaining.

chaosbreather posted:

Its okay big guy why dont you share with the group some of the kinds of movies you like.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

I find it notable how people who can’t form a cogent argument on a free matter of taste
They are, it's also focused on dunking on you. People can do two things at once.

quote:

find it necessary to armchair psychoanalyse them in a dehumanising way, talking about them like they weren’t present
Turn on your monitor.

quote:

rather than engage in a discussion in good faith about a subject where there is no objective truth.
You're not worth good faith and everyone knows it.

quote:

It’s pretty good trolling
It's at the level you deserve.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Wizard Master

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
stanley kubrick is probably the best film maker

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Maya Fey posted:

Wizard Master

Cubone
May 26, 2011

R.L. Stine posted:

kubrick's "smart babies", about babies who are smart, in fact contains many subtle references to dumb babies

Kubrick didn't direct Smart Babies, that was Stanley Kramer

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Cubone posted:

Kubrick didn't direct Smart Babies, that was Stanley Kramer

lol

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Guess who's coming to dinner, its a smart baby" (1994)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

The_Continental posted:

"Guess who's coming to dinner, its a smart baby" (1994)

lol

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

My friend and I rented 2001 when we were 14 or 15 and got bored by the first half hour and didn't finish it. I watched 2001 a few weeks ago as an adult and it was very good and engaging and detailed and I very much enjoyed it. So I suppose if you have the mind of a child you wouldn't understand it.

I like the book version of the Shinning as much as I like the film version. It's okay to like both things.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
There's fun stuff about the making of Kubrick's movies, like Lee Jeremy having to explain to Kubrick what a "reacharound" is. There's also not so fun stuff, like Kubrick intentionally making the shoot of The Shining so hostile for Shelley Duvall she started to lose hair from the stress. Talk about method acting!

Also, apparently Kubrick planned the short documentary by her daughter made from footage of the shoots and set to be a weird extra/non-extradiegetic piece of the movie's story.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

hakimashou posted:

stanley kubrick is probably the best film maker

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
2001 is the greatest movie. The books are fantastic too

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

End of Shoelace posted:

There's fun stuff about the making of Kubrick's movies, like Lee Jeremy having to explain to Kubrick what a "reacharound" is.

"Lee Jeremy"????

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Famous Dong Actor Ron Jeremy's brother Lee Jeremy is known for his iconic role of Commander Shitler in Kubrick's Full Mental Jacket (1994)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Poor Stanley Kubrick, thought of secret pedophile societies and died.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Laterite posted:

Poor Stanley Kubrick, thought of secret pedophile societies and died.

In light of this I nominate Tarkov s...Oh.

Ok what Good films by decent directors have been made since they both ded?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

staberind posted:

Hukkle

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosbreather posted:

Those movies had satisfying plots that provided catharsis. They might not have been happy smiles, but they were satisfied that what they saw was an actual movie. AI was a diagram of this. You could instantly identify which bits were Spielberg's because those were the ones with movie in them, and Kubrick's were just structureless pathos. He's basically just Cameron in a beret.

The greatest films deliberately do not provide catharsis

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Flavahbeast posted:

"Lee Jeremy"????

R. Lee Ermey. sorry lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

staberind posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382501/