Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

chaosbreather posted:

2001 is extremely boring and Kubrik is insanely overrated. No-one explained to him that films are meant to be good things you enjoy.

One time a 17 year old Christian kid who worked at a sandwich shop told me that Rage Against The Machine was "like, so bad. They are just too angry". Maybe you and him can get together and watch Anchorman and kick back a few Frescas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

nut posted:

hey op if ur obsessed with looking for squares why don't u try turning off the tv screen

WOOOORRRLLLLDSTAAAAAAAARRRR

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

chaosbreather posted:

Those movies had satisfying plots that provided catharsis. They might not have been happy smiles, but they were satisfied that what they saw was an actual movie. AI was a diagram of this. You could instantly identify which bits were Spielberg's because those were the ones with movie in them, and Kubrick's were just structureless pathos. He's basically just Cameron in a beret.

Movies dont have to be one kind of thing. Film is a medium. But Ill bite. The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, 2001, Dr. Strangelove all have cohesive narratives. They all capture really hard to nail down aspects of humanity and are technically impressive to boot. Theres even humor in there.

A.I. was a pieced together mess and hardly the film by which anyone should judge Kubricks merits.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Console Role Player posted:

People who loudly proclaim "movies should be first and foremost entertainment" suffer from the same brain deformity that causes people to scream "shut up and play" to athletes and musicians. It's entitlement to the extreme and an attempt to censor and remove the artist from the arts, in effect denying the very quality that led to the creation of that art in the first place.

I find this is typically said by white fans when a black athlete expresses an opinion that doesnt align with their own.

For example, Lebron James is about as good as anyone has ever been at anything. Hes also a natural leader and all around passionate guy. Its unsurprising hes been outspoken recently.

Telling him to shut up and dribble is just a way to silence him and maintain superiority despite the fact a (not so) young black guy is unequivocally better at life than some white sports fan.

In conclusion movies are a land of contrasts.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

chaosbreather posted:

okay if your argument is that movies don’t need to be entertaining, rad, but you’re also conceding that Kubrick’s work is not entertaining

I find all of his movies entertaining. I also find Final Four Basketball entertaining.

chaosbreather posted:

I find it notable how people who can’t form a cogent argument on a free matter of taste find it necessary to armchair psychoanalyse them in a dehumanising way, talking about them like they weren’t present rather than engage in a discussion in good faith about a subject where there is no objective truth. It’s pretty good trolling I suppose but you have to wonder about their childhoods.

Its okay big guy why dont you share with the group some of the kinds of movies you like.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Guess who's coming to dinner, its a smart baby" (1994)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Famous Dong Actor Ron Jeremy's brother Lee Jeremy is known for his iconic role of Commander Shitler in Kubrick's Full Mental Jacket (1994)