Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, if Uwe Boll is making the cut I'm gonna another poser entry I don't think anyone else would put up.

This one's actually iffy. Really I think they're more fitting for the jungle primary with 3 legitimate films. But it seems like we're counting anthology segments for other directors and even though Synchronic doesn't appear to have been distributed yet it does exist. So I dunno. I leave it to Shrek and the other small councilors to make the call. As I said Jungle Primary feels more appropriate to me but if you need a spot filler I think they can make the cut.

Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead
1) Resolution (2012)
2) Spring (2014)
3) The Endless (2017)
*4) V/H/S: Viral (segment "Bonestorm") (2014) – co-director, writer, producer
*5) Synchronic (2019)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah hell, if I'm missing some movies someone else add them

posted:

Roman Polanski
Repulsion
The Apartment
Rosemary's Baby
The Ninth Gate
The Fearless Vampire Killers

posted:

Park Chan Wook
Thirst
Stoker
3 Extremes: Cut
Oldboy
Sympathy for Mrs. Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Darthemed posted:

David DeCoteau
Puppet Master III
Curse of the Puppet Master
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama
Witchouse
Dreamaniac
The Brotherhood

I would have went for

1. 1313: Cougar Cult
2. 1313: Giant Killer Bees!
3. 1313: Haunted Frat
4. 1313: Bigfoot Island
5. 1313: UFO Invasion
6. 1313: Frankenqueen

but to each their own.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

And we are full!

married but discreet posted:

Park Chan Wook
Thirst
Stoker
3 Extremes: Cut
Oldboy
Sympathy for Mrs. Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Oh no! Park Chan Wook came in just after the cutoff (gently caress Roman Polanski, he doesn't get to be in a tournament for anything good)

If one of the council wants to bump a director with only 4 entries from the main bracket, I'll put Park in there. I have it sorted by # of films now, just someone pick a cut

:honk::honk::honk::honk::honk::honk::honk::honk:

Seeding! Do we want just random seeding, or some sort of ranked list? I can also assign seeds based on where they finished in the Best Franchise bracket (and do randomized for unseeded entries) if that works?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 9, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
UWE BOLL
1. Alone in the Dark
2. Alone in the Dark 2
3. Bloodrayne
4. Bloodrayne: Deliverance
5. Bloodrayne: The Third Reich
6. House of the Dead

CHARLES BAND
1. Dollman VS Demonic Toys
2. Blood Dolls
3. Evil Bong
4. Gingerdead Man
5. The Dead Want Women
6. Puppet Master The Legacy

I'm not saying these should be in

But I'm saying they could be

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was trying to figure out Adam Wingard's 6 best but whatever. Guess its filled.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Maybe chronological ranking, by the date of their earliest (listed) film? Or zigzag that, so oldest goes against newest?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

And we are full!

Oh no! Park Chan Wook came in just after the cutoff (gently caress Roman Polanski, he doesn't get to be in a tournament for anything good)

If one of the council wants to bump a director with only 4 entries from the main bracket, I'll put Park in there. I have it sorted by # of films now, just someone pick a cut

William Lustig or Stephen Sommers would be my choices for a bounce, but that's honestly just based on personal tastes. I'd also abuse my power to bounce Ruggero Deodato just so I don't have to watch Cannibal Holocaust.

E: Just to be clear, I don't think these suggestions should be acted upon, unless other council members agree

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

Seeding! Do we want just random seeding, or some sort of ranked list? I can also assign seeds based on where they finished in the Best Franchise bracket (and do randomized for unseeded entries) if that works?
I'm all about the ballots and votes and that just doesn't seem to be the thing people want, but if you're doing a jungle primary before the field of 64 then is there any harm in doing a big seeding vote for the 60 during that like you did with the main one? Am I remembering that wrong? Didn't we all vote for a big field at some point?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with bumping Sommers for Wook, I think Wook is more deserving as much as I'm a Sommers fanboy.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm all about the ballots and votes and that just doesn't seem to be the thing people want, but if you're doing a jungle primary before the field of 64 then is there any harm in doing a big seeding vote for the 60 during that like you did with the main one? Am I remembering that wrong? Didn't we all vote for a big field at some point?

Yea I'd like to see some sort of poll that will determine seeding. I don't want Craven facing Romero in the first round or something like that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

We need some ranking to stop the top seeds from knocking each other out early, but it'd be kind of a pain to pre-rank every single one of the directors. If the council's up for that fine, but maybe we could have 8 'top seeds' determined via vote and the rest get in randomly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

As I said earlier, feel free to bump West and McKee if people feel stronger about other entries. I'm not married to them and I doubt anyone else will care. They're safe "bubble" entries. (and Benson/Moorehead I guess).

On principle I'd say we should consider bumping 4 movie entries on the grounds that they have a basic advantage if their 4 films are more focused quality than everyone else's 6 and if they're not then it begs the question of if they deserve to be there more. Like I wouldn't say James Whale should be cut from a "Best Director" tournament because he was awesome, but teh fact that his entire catalogue is 3 absolute classics and a 4th great film gives him a huge distorted edge over someone like Carpenter who has like 10 great films but will only get a selection of 6 in this.

But again, that's my reservations with this format and we're really not doing "Best Director" anymore so I leave it to the rest of the small council. Just my thoughts. It makes as much if not more sense to bump the "bubble" ones over someone like Whale.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 9, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

As I said earlier, feel free to bump West and McKee if people feel stronger about other entries. I'm not married to them and I doubt anyone else will care.

On principle I'd say we should consider bumping 4 movie entries on the grounds that they have a basic advantage if their 4 films are more focused quality than everyone else's 6 and if they're not then it begs the question of if they deserve to be there more. Like I wouldn't say James Whale should be cut from a "Best Director" tournament because he was awesome, but teh fact that his entire catalogue is 3 absolute classics and a 4th great film gives him a huge distorted edge over someone like Carpenter who has like 10 great films but will only get a selection of 6 in this.

But again, that's my reservations with this format and we're really not doing "Best Director" anymore so I leave it to the rest of the small council. Just my thoughts. Cut West and McKee first if you wish.

I think you can still say that we're determining Best Director here, just with more than one factor taken into account. So consistency counts, someone like James Whale is going to have that advantage and I think that's perfectly ok, it makes sense that he would.

But consistency isn't everything, and so a very prolific director like John Carpenter is going to be able to put forward 6 excellent films even though his resume has some mediocre stuff in it. I think this is a good balance, you can't cruise through with just one or two good films, and you can't win just based on volume either.

Also remember, the random format gets thrown out towards the end, so when it really comes time to determine the winner, the full resume of each director will be considered.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

e: Seeding being determined...

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 9, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

As I said earlier, feel free to bump West and McKee if people feel stronger about other entries. I'm not married to them and I doubt anyone else will care. They're safe "bubble" entries. (and Benson/Moorehead I guess).

But again, that's my reservations with this format and we're really not doing "Best Director" anymore so I leave it to the rest of the small council. Just my thoughts. It makes as much if not more sense to bump the "bubble" ones over someone like Whale.

I don't think you should cherry pick anyone for this kind of thing...but that's literally ALL James Whale has.

That's not picking quality over anything. He literally has that and nothing else.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Boooooo

I say Boooooooooooooo

Removing Laughton's Night of the Hunter and Bird's Ravenous is a crime!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I think you can still say that we're determining Best Director here, just with more than one factor taken into account. So consistency counts, someone like James Whale is going to have that advantage and I think that's perfectly ok, it makes sense that he would.

But consistency isn't everything, and so a very prolific director like John Carpenter is going to be able to put forward 6 excellent films even though his resume has some mediocre stuff in it. I think this is a good balance, you can't cruise through with just one or two good films, and you can't win just based on volume either.

Also remember, the random format gets thrown out towards the end, so when it really comes time to determine the winner, the full resume of each director will be considered.

Burkion posted:

I don't think you should cherry pick anyone for this kind of thing...but that's literally ALL James Whale has.

That's not picking quality over anything. He literally has that and nothing else.

Yeah, I wasn't saying against Whale. I'm saying we ARE cherry picking in this. And yeah, that might actually benefit a director like Wes Craven with a wider selection of good and bad vs someone like Whale who has a small collection of good. But I also think it makes Whale's "roulette" cycle smaller so its entirely possible we'll vote for Bride of Frankenstein 3 times and never vote for Nightmare or Scream for Wes. We'll see.

But again, that's my personal issues with the format and its obvious I'm in the minority so I'll try and shut up more. What's done is done. I have no doubt this will be fun and I don't mean to be a wet blanket just because I didn't get my way.

Shrecknet posted:

RANKED CHOICE!
Basically we'll seed these based on their overall score. Just toss out a 1-4 rating based on how much you like 'em and we'll seed that way. I've randomized the list so if after about 30 you get tired the bottom 30 will be random and not force a seed like Ginger Snaps did last time.
Ohh, I really like that ranked choice. Good call.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 9, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Feel like we should maybe allow a little more time and get some extra submissions and then whittle it down by executive committee or through ranked choice cutoff. Like, no offense to some of these submissions, but it would be lame to include some pretty forgettable names only to realize we left off an underrated heavyweight or two.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

we left off an underrated heavyweight or two.

Like Charles Laughton

He directed a movie so good critics and peers shamed him into not making anymore movies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TrixRabbi posted:

Feel like we should maybe allow a little more time and get some extra submissions and then whittle it down by executive committee or through ranked choice cutoff. Like, no offense to some of these submissions, but it would be lame to include some pretty forgettable names only to realize we left off an underrated heavyweight or two.

I agree in principle but it feels clear at this stage that collectively patience isn't our strongest virtue or priority.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

A few big names missing from the spreadsheet

- Eli Roth
- Charles Band
- Jen and Sylvia Soska
- Lucio Fulci (!!! this would be a massive omission)
- Adam Wingard
- Jesus Franco (Another huge one)
- Bruno Mattei
- Jacques Tourneur
- Ishiro Honda

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fulci? drat.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm clearly on ignore around here, smh. :cry:

I nominated Fulci.

2 of my nominations were overlooked and my third was thrown out! This anti MZ thread has me steaming mad!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I feel like we can't have this tournament without Fulci, Franco, Roth and Tourneur. Ishiro Honda feels like he represents a whole other realm of the genre that's mostly missing here, Adam Wingard is a recent up and comer who deserves to duke it out. Charles Band is kinda dumb but he's such an establishment in the genre it'd be tough to knock him off. Feel like we should pump these dudes into the ranked choice vote and then those who miss the cutoff just don't get in.

edit: Polanski was nominated on this page but isn't on the sheet either.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

You are right, I deleted the main 60 poll because it's not complete/finessed

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like we can't have this tournament without Fulci, Franco, Roth and Tourneur. Ishiro Honda feels like he represents a whole other realm of the genre that's mostly missing here, Adam Wingard is a recent up and comer who deserves to duke it out. Charles Band is kinda dumb but he's such an establishment in the genre it'd be tough to knock him off. Feel like we should pump these dudes into the ranked choice vote and then those who miss the cutoff just don't get in.

edit: Polanski was nominated on this page but isn't on the sheet either.
Again, you're right, but Polanski is a loving pederast so gently caress him. Victor Bava doesn't get on here either. :colbert:

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm clearly on ignore around here, smh. :cry:

I nominated Fulci.

2 of my nominations were overlooked and my third was thrown out! This anti MZ thread has me steaming mad!
OK I am sorry and I'm adding Fulci. I'll extend the list past 60 and we can start throwing out 4-film directors when we're ready to move on.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

You are right, I deleted the main 60 poll because it's not complete/finessed
Again, you're right, but Polanski is a loving pederast so gently caress him. Victor Bava doesn't get on here either. :colbert:
OK I am sorry and I'm adding Fulci. I'll extend the list past 60 and we can start throwing out 4-film directors when we're ready to move on.

For the record I'm joking about being upset.

Well about my noms being overlooked at least.

;)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Eli Roth

Cabin Fever
Hostel
Hostel: Part II
The Green Inferno
Knock Knock
The House with a Clock in its Walls

Jacques Tourneur

Cat People
I Walked with a Zombie
The Leopard Man
Night of the Demon
The Comedy of Terrors
City Under the Sea

Ishiro Honda

Godzilla
Matango
Mothra
Frankenstein Conquers the World
The Human Vapor
Destroy All Monsters

Adam Wingard

You're Next
V/H/S
The Guest
Home Sick
Blair Witch
Death Note

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

I'm totally fine with excluding the child molesters. Polanski's a heavyweight of the genre but also he raped a 13-year-old so I don't care if he competes or not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

What do we do if we already submitted our rankings?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last time I'll suggest this, I promise.

What if we just toss out the 16 jungle primary, collect all the names/submissions, and do one big ranked choice jungle primary? Alternative decide who the "automatic bids" are and put the rest in a big ranked choice jungle primary? I think its probably the fairest way to speed this along but also make sure we don't overly snub anyone. And we can keep the movie roulette thing intact even if like Jordan Peele sneaks into a 4 seed or something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Last time I'll suggest this, I promise.

What if we just toss out the 16 jungle primary, collect all the names/submissions, and do one big ranked choice jungle primary? Alternative decide who the "automatic bids" are and put the rest in a big ranked choice jungle primary? I think its probably the fairest way to speed this along but also make sure we don't overly snub anyone. And we can keep the movie roulette thing intact even if like Jordan Peele sneaks into a 4 seed or something.
You know what? I'm in for this. I'm gonna throw out the JP poll too. Each Council Member elects one director to move on, once they have all selected, we'll do a ranked-choice thingy after.

Council Member's Choices (#1 and 2 seeds in each bracket):
Shrecknet (Takashi Miike)
STAC (John Carpenter)
Burkion (Ishiro Honda)
Basebf ( Mario Bava )
Timeless
Debbie Does Dagon (Hitchcock)
TrixRabbi (David Lynch)
and since there are only 7, I'm awarding a special guest choice to Machete Zombie since he has to endure the bad news that Charles Naughton cannot be in this tournament. (Dario Argento)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TrixRabbi posted:

Ishiro Honda

Godzilla
Matango
Mothra
Frankenstein Conquers the World
The Human Vapor
Destroy All Monsters

I'd swap Mothra and Destroy All Monsters for Rodan and Half Human, myself. Rodan is closer to a horror movie in the first half than Mothra is in any fashion, and Destroy All Monsters is a pure kaiju film while Half Human is an oft forgotten film that got re-edited in 1958 with John Caradine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet, despite my difference of opinion with some of your decisions you have nothing but my respect for your ability to take advice, criticism, and adjust. You are a scholar and a gentleman and are doing a great job, probably much better than I would have done in your place.

Of my choices for 1 and 2 I'd say the field is John Carpenter, Wes Craven, James Whale, George Romero, Stuart Gordon, and Dario Argento. Since I think all of them have a chance of being picked and even if they're not they should safely grab a high seed I'm just gonna ditch strategic voting and pick who MY #1 seed is. John Carpenter

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm picking Argento

Thanks for roping me in as a special guest, not necessary but appreciated!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well I guess since I brought him to the table I'll claim...

Shrecknet posted:

You know what? I'm in for this. I'm gonna throw out the JP poll too. Each Council Member elects one director to move on, once they have all selected, we'll do a ranked-choice thingy after.

Council Member's Choices (#1 and 2 seeds in each bracket):
Shrecknet (Takashi Miike)

drat you.

Well then I guess

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm picking Argento

Thanks for roping me in as a special guest, not necessary but appreciated!

Mother Fucker!

gently caress it, might as well be on brand.

ISHIRO HONDA

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

My #1 seed choice is David Lynch.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

After a lot of thought, I'm going to choose Alfred Hitchcock as my #1 seed. There are probably other crowd favourites, or other directors who fit my particular taste better, but the individual level of quality in each of Hitchcock's films absolutely elevates him above the pack for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know everyone expects me to go with Gordon but you know I just feel like that would potentially leave too many iconic directors vulnerable to being knocked out early. So I'm going to be responsible about this.

My automatic bid selection is Mario Bava.

Which leaves two slots remaining for such directors as Craven, Romero, and Whale.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its gonna be rough but I have faith that those guys who don't get called will nab themselves a 3 or 4 seed in the vote. We'll see. All the picks so far have been fine selections. Hitchcock and Bava probably would have been the next level of 2/3 seed for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

and since there are only 7, I'm awarding a special guest choice to Machete Zombie since he has to endure the bad news that Charles Naughton cannot be in this tournament. (Dario Argento)

Justice for Bird!

Also thanks for all the work you're doing to organize, watching this develop has been fun so far.