Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Frank Henelotter

1. Basket Case
2. Brain Damage
3. Basket Case 2
4. Frankenhooker
5. Basket Case 3
6. Bad Biology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

James Wan

1. Saw
2. Insidious 1
3. Insidious 2
4. Conjuring 1
5. Conjuring 2
6. Dead Silence

Clive Barker

1. Hellraiser
2. Nightbreed
3. Lord of Illusions

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Can someone pm me what the gently caress the ending of cut was about?

Also cut loving owns

I have no loving idea what that ending is doing but shout out to the Miike segment Box from Three Extremes which is the best segment , equally wtf but legitimately haunting. Would be great if that popped up for his movie.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

the randomness and strong chance that beloved directors are forced to be represented by their subpar efforts is what makes this game kinda fun and interesting as opposed to another discussion of the same 5 candidates for best horror director ever. not to say those people don’t deserve the honor, but this bracket really fucks with that group (or at least as the potential to do so)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I will be doing a very casual Sunday stream tomorrow on the CineD discord, from 9am EST. The lineup will be:

0900 - King Kong
1100 - Son of Kong
1220 - Godzilla
1410 - Godzilla Raids Again
1540 - Godzilla: King of Monsters
1710 - Rodan
1840 - Maniac Cop 2

Feel free to drop in and out as you see fit. Be advised, all times are subject to change due to the wavering incompetence of the management.

Thank you.

I gotta stop in and watch Maniac Cop 2- it’s kinda bullshit I haven’t seen it yet since i love Cohen, Lustig, Hennenlotter, Ferrara dirty, grimy, NYC horror flicks with a passion

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

It feels like i need to play 8 video games to truly understand the appeal. Like, I imagine there's a really hardcore Resident Evil fanbase that loved the poo poo out of that movie because Kevin Durand played some character from some video game and said some classic line in his 10 minutes of screen time. Stuff like that.

It’s the opposite for me. I’m not a hardcore fan persay but I view the game series as a super tense survival horror with an emphasize on surviving by the skin of your teeth. At least the first few games and especially the 4th are straight up horror stories.

However the movies are action films through and through and Mila Jovovich’s character (who is not at all from the video games) is an unstoppable killing machine who can face hordes of enemies without breaking a sweat. That’s really far from my experience with the games were I’m scrambling to kill one zombie because I’ve one bullet left and the odds always seem stacked against me.

The only things the movies really takes from the game series is the very melodramatic, over the top, storylines that mix zombies and monsters with crazy worldwide conspiracies, apocalypse scenarios, badass mercenaries, James Bond esque villains etc.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

I’m wrapping up Q and this movie is loving insane. Wastes zero time at all.

Not often do you get a cheesy stop motion Aztec monster movie with an amazing powerhouse acting performance just dropped into it. Moriarity and all of NYC give that film so much life. Larry Cohen was a wonderful bastard.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

Deep Red never connected with me the way Tenebre did, and I don't find that I "respect" it as opposed to really liking it, like I do with Suspiria. Of the Argento films that are generally regarded as the "top tier," that's always the one that left me coldest. (Personally I prefer The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and Opera to it.)

Agreed, I didn’t love Deep Red. There are some very strong, powerful scenes and it’s still very stylish but it’s not my bag. Partially that’s because I trend toward the real insane, over the top Italian horror and giallo films that basks in technicolor gore, humor, and very loud rock soundtracks. The music in Deep Red felt a bit bizarre, it’s a bit underwhelming, big shout out to the amazing head smash tho and the characters wear out their welcome but I certainly respect it and the beautiful way things are framed throughout.

That being said, Dead Alive by a mile. It’s so gleeful and disgusting, love every horrible second.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I will probably end up voting for Braindead, that last act is just way too much fun. Let's not pretend that this doesn't happen in Deep Red though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE8oWEq2c6M

Great scene but again the music choice is :psyduck: and not in a fun Italian genre movie way

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I always feel like Miike goes beyond what's "necessary" for the piece and just crosses that line where he's overtly trying to shock you. Its the film watching equivalent of adding more and more hot sauce to your food to see when you blink.

Who is to say what is necessary for his pieces? I don’t doubt that Miike’s extreme style rubs many people the wrong way (and I don’t blame anyone for avoiding his films for that reason) but I don’t think it’s done just for shock value, the brutality is always a central part of his storytelling. The causal way he will push the audience into an uncomfortable place is very deliberate. He constantly plays with the line between humor and horror and I think he knows exactly what he is doing.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The best part of the Dead trilogy is how goddamn right Romero was about everything.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Man, I know there's a lot of fans here and I don't wanna be all edgy or anything. But I just finished Twin Peaks S2 and I think that last 40 minutes might have been the stupidest thing I've watched in my entire life.

I really didn't get Twin Peaks. And Jesus, there were so many adults having sex with teenagers. Endlessly.

Adults having sex with teens! Oh my!! Ignoring everything else that Twin Peaks is doing, it is clearly deconstructing the insidious nature that lives beneath every small town- often the sexuality contained within those that may make us uncomfortable to acknowledge (aka Laura Palmer)

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 29, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

To be honest the longer Twin Peaks went on the more I became convinced that they just regretted making half the cast high school students. Its not like they ever went to school or anything. In S2 they seem to make a particular effort to stylish the teens as adults and only ever even mention their ages for that weird rear end Nadine storyline.

I mean this is the nicest way possible, you really misunderstood Twin Peaks.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

I'm curious to see if anyone intends to vote Bad Taste over the Devil's Backbone. I've watched both over the last day and a half, and while Bad Taste is funny and the gore is charming, it doesn't really have much behind it to make me want to vote for it.

Similarly while I think Drag Me to Hell is a ton of fun, FWWM scares me every time I watch it and has some truly incredible performances, it's hard to even consider voting against FWWM. I'm interested to see what others have to say especially STAC since they pushed through Twin Peaks and didn't like it and now is at least rewarded by having the movie come up in the draw :shobon:

Bad Taste is really fun and I am still amazed at what Jackson did with the amount of money he had. Not that you can’t tell it’s a amateur group, but there is so much for so little. But The Devils Backbone is certainly better.

Hopefully some people check out Bad Taste for the first time and thank god it wasn’t loving King Kong.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I love Gorton but I will defend the poo poo out of Ichi. It deserves a much better reputation than “violent for violence sake”

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

I've seen both, and there is no way in hell that Blade 2 compares with The Devils on any level. By rights that match should be the biggest blowout of the tournament.

gently caress this Blade 2 whips so hard. I don’t give a poo poo about the eternally horny Ken Russell and his bullshit- Blade 2 is basically the perfect action-horror movie and if there is justice in the world it will win.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

I enjoyed Blade 2 for what it was, but it is indisputably one of Del Toro's worst movies - blatantly work for hire, with infamously lovely CGI, zero character development and lacking even the quotable quips of Blade Trinity. "But it's got Donnie Yen in it!" Cool - now tell me the name of his character without looking it up. I've seen the movie six times at least, and I can't. In fact the only members of the Bloodpack that I can name without looking it up are Verlaine because she's named for Tom Verlaine of Television, and Lighthammer because it's loving stupid.

Up against that we've got an adaptation of an Aldous Huxley novel that broke any number of boundaries when it was first released and is widely considered to be the most important work of one of Britain's best directors.

Vote for Blade 2 if you want, I can't stop you. But if you do, please don't pretend that you did it because it was the better movie. It was the movie you preferred.

This is all nonsense.

The effects and visuals in that move have Del Toro’s stamp all over them. Are you confusing the CGI with Blade one? There are some shoddy shots but the vampires look awesome.

Who gives a poo poo what the names of the Bloodpack were?? It’s about Blade and somehow Kris Kristofferson fighting cool looking monsters. Boo hoo there is no character development in my Blade movie what a shame.

Also I don’t care if Aldous Huxley wrote the book a movie is based on- there’s been multiple poo poo Brave New World adaptions

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 18, 2020

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

in the end, the first is the second, ergo Con Air is the greatest film ever made, gently caress you Bergman.

But you see the good, cool, fun action movie you want to watch isn’t actually good it’s just your preference. The movie with Ken Russell furiously jerking off behind the camera is the real movie. It’s art.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Come on people. We are talking about vampire Ron Perlman. The choice is clear.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The argument that Miike is just a “kid chasing you with a booger” or whatever is infantilizing and kinda problematic. There is absolutely a purpose to how he sets up the audience with a certain expectation in order to drastically change tone. I don’t know why he gets that label while other directors get away with doing the same thing. I understand Miike takes it to a certain extreme but there is nothing necessarily wrong with that.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I think I was the first person to bring up that phrase here, and it was whilst quoting Garbage Baby from the Discord. I can only speak for myself, but it was meant as high praise. I certainly didn't see it as problematic, as I don't consider having a whimsical sense of playfulness as a problem, and it certainly doesn't seek to deny Miike his talent or thoughtfulness. If that was the impression I was giving off, I apologize.

Totally understood- I am being too defensive over a director I think is just often misunderstood.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s kinda silly of me to take that stance in this thread when we are clearly all horror fans and most of us have at least an appreciation of his work so no need for anyone to apologize or anything.

It’s just a trend I see with Miike and the criticism of his work. I also am super defensive over Miike because I really love his work and how fearless he is...it’s refreshing to me even when he is being revolting. I hope all in all, his legacy is one of a groundbreaking, thoughtful, and intensely satirical director and not just a shock-value guy.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lynch should have won but Inland Empire is very challenging and I don’t fault anyone for not enjoying it

Basebf555 posted:

I'm happy that Cronenberg pulled it out. I feel like he's had a larger impact on the genre than Lynch and is just more of a horror icon that brings some needed legitimacy to this Final Four.

It would have been a very non-horror finale without Cronenberg but I’d say Lynch has been more influential- maybe it’s because his style is so distinct but I feel like I see clear echoes of Lynch all the time in modern horror films

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Thank god Yuzna got Return 3, as much as I love him, his other options (except for Bride) were pretty dire....

Yuzna vs. Miike is gonna be a tough one for me

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tarnop posted:

Can I just jump straight in to Return of the Living Dead 3 without seeing 2?

Yes and 2 is kinda poo poo anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tarnop posted:

It was really good, thanks YP.

e: I'm going to defend the stuff with the sumo and his underage girlfriend, so help me god

I think the point of it was to show just how bad things are for the Katakuris. As YP said, they're a bunch of losers. Lovable losers yes, but compared to the social status that I understand is afforded to sumo wrestlers they are less than dirt.

You can tell by the looks on their faces that they think it's hosed up. So the fact that they have to tamp down on that disgust and take his money so they can afford to live should emphasise how screwed they are. The guy probably carries a lot of water, and they don't carry poo poo, so bad word of mouth from him could ruin them.

And yes, Miike makes us look at it because that's what he does. But then he also kills the guy while he's loving, so I don't think Miike is on his side. What he does is find tension and push as hard as he can. Oh, things are so bad you have to accept any guest that shows up? How about now? What about this guest?

Everyone has their limit and I understand anyone who can't accept something like this in the films they enjoy, but I don't think it was done thoughtlessly or with a cavalier attitude to what was being shown.

:agreed: