Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Lol whoever has to pick the 6 best John Carptener movies, also lol at sabotaging Wes Craven like that.

Ok here is mine, fight me if this doesnt apply :colbert:

posted:

Bong Joon Ho

1) The Host
2) Parasite
3) Memories of Murder
4) Mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Irony.or.Death posted:

It feels bad that we've gone so many posts without Gordon, but I can't put From Beyond before Re-Animator, but I also still want to be on good terms with basebf555 so I need somebody else to make that post soon please.

I don't think it's supposed to be a ranking, just the 6 or fewer best films in no particular order.

edit: efb

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Burkion posted:

DARIO ARGENTO
1. Terror at the Opera
2. Deep Red
3. Suspiria
4. Demons
5. Inferno
6. Tenebrae

Dario Argento didn't direct Demons, Lamberto Bava did. You meant to say Phenomena.

vv yess saved one of my favourites!

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 9, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know. The Conjuring or Insidious vs The Hills Have Eyes or Christine could get REAL sketchy for me and demand tense watches.

What is this nonsense, Christine slaps!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm stoked to watch all those movies!

Someone do Karyn Kusama (The Invitation, Jennifer's Body) and Roman Polanski (Apartment Trilogy, 9th Seal, uh, Fearless Vampire Killers?), I perhaps haven't seen enough of their work to be comprehensive.

I'm struggling with Park Chan Wook. Thirst, Stoker and 3 Extremes: Cut are obviously horror but Vengeance Trilogy is very much straddling the line, and if they're ok why not replace one of them with The Handmaiden which I would love to claim as horror but it sort of really isnt. Any excuse to post the trailer too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whldChqCsYk

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

posted:

Kim Jee Woon
A Tale of Two Sisters
I Saw The Devil
The Quiet Family
Three: Memories

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah hell, if I'm missing some movies someone else add them

posted:

Roman Polanski
Repulsion
The Apartment
Rosemary's Baby
The Ninth Gate
The Fearless Vampire Killers

posted:

Park Chan Wook
Thirst
Stoker
3 Extremes: Cut
Oldboy
Sympathy for Mrs. Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

I selected the original council based on post count in the first bracktology thread, so if Timeless is burnt out or whatever itd be Married But Discreet taking their spot.

There's gotta be someone better than me, I can barely string together two coherent sentences on why I like a movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Imagine being hesitant about arguing which obscure movies that 90% of the population does not remember should be on a google sheet on a gay dead internet forum, in a thread that is specifically about arguing which movies should remain on a google sheet. Rock on my man, this is literally the content we're here for.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

I've said it before, this feels less like a sport to me and more like a table top card game minus strategy. Which is still a perfectly cool way to play a silly game and give us all an excuse to watch movies. Just not, in my opinion, any way to judge directors.

I just don't want to be the rear end in a top hat solely objecting to a silly game's rules and expecting everyone else to fall in line what I want instead of me being the one who should just accept the group has heard me out and just doesn't agree.

Ah, it's all in good fun, and disucssing the rules is part of it.
If Jordan Peele or god forbid James Wan wins, so what? It would be hilarious to see Wes Craven knocked out in the first round, and nobody should care because there will still be just as many movies to discuss as before. If this ends with Evil Dead 2 vs Dawn of the Dead again, wouldn't that be boring?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
We can always create an all star director team with Peele, Kubrick, Spielberg, Bird and Mitchell, who have been robbed. I'm joking I'm joking

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Y'all making me feel bad for nominating Polanski in the first place :smith:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm extremely stoked for this!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The only matchup where I've seen both is Raimi vs Soavi. Stagefright is an okay slasher with some nice stylistic flourishes. The killer design is probably more memorable than 99% of all other slashers. The other movie is Army of Darkness. I can see people voting for Stagefright since Army is definitely the weakest Raimi, but come on.

3 Extremes is free on PlutoTV
https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/t...tremes-2004-1-1

Stagefright is free on Vudu
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Stagefright/24911

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 12, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
How much time are we given for this by the way? I still got 3 movies to watch and I'll probably not do more than 1 a day.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok, here's my thoughts on Masque of the Red Death (Corman) vs Shirome (Shiraishi).

Masque: I don't know about this one. On the one hand, Vincent Price's satanist prince is such a joy to watch, gleefully evil and down with the Lord of Flies. He rocks, and so does his wife. The ending slaps, loving how it goes nuts with the coloured lighting. On the other hand, every time Price+wife are not on screen the movie is a drag. It's too long for the original short story and fills up its runtime with unrelated other plotlines. The sets and costumes are gaudy in a bad way and the protagonists are absolutely devoid of any sort of charisma. Mixed bag for me.

Shirome: What a goddamn mess, I can't believe the person who made Noroi also made this. The premise has potential: A TV-documentary where a J-pop idol group has to sell their soul to a demon/ghost in order to attain fame. The girls clearly are not into this at all while the producer pushes them to go ahead with it, despite warnings from other people that they're being irresponsible. Now, this could be a great, but the group is so drat obnoxious, constantly either putting on an insanely annoying cheerful act or squealing their hearts out in fear, with very little inbetween. This could be some sort of satire I'm not quite picking up on, but it's almost disgusting to watch. The ghost/spririt/demon is also a complete joke. The movie sets up the rules initially, then constantly breaks them, there is no rhyme or reason for anything that happens, no thematic consistency, just random poo poo, and when you finally see the ghost it's almost laugh out loud bad.

Corman got lucky here, I really can't vote for Shiraishi with this entry. Noroi definitely has the potential to beat out a lot of other movies in the tournament, but I guess it won't come to that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aight, Faust (FW Murnau) vs Cut (Park Chan Wook).

Faust is amazing and I can't imagine how people didn't poo poo themselves when they first saw this in 1926. The special effects look decades ahead of their time, it's gorgeous and touching and quite clearly a complete artistic masterpiece.
I wish I'd seen this in a version that wasn't 360p.

Cut is a 20 or so minutes condensed package of Korean New Wave Cinema and everything I love about horror. I'd say it's flawless.

I can't possibly decide between the two on terms of enjoyment alone, they're easily the two best movies in this round, and too different from each other to really judge. So I'll go with boring old importance/influence, and will vote for Murnau. Sorry PCW, you're one of the best living directors around, but you're just not that much of a horror filmmaker overall. Also I'll be a bit selfish, I've seen all PCW movies already so I'd rather have an incentive to watch something new.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
And Dumplings is fantastic too. Licking her lips in the end made me laugh out loud but also made my arm hair stand straight up.
Three...Extremes is really really good.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You have got to be loving kidding me. I'm changing my vote after seeing the credits now, lmao.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm stoked for the next round, I've been watching wuxia movies since I ran out of horrors to watch, get it on with! Thread definitely not dead, personally I've just made all my choices.

I might be the only one to vote for Shirome, just for the sheer audacity. I loving hated it but I respect the troll.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The way movies are randomly drawn without replacement is going to make this really interesting later on. Raimi got lucky that he used up one of his weakest movies, but I think The Gift, as much as I do like it, will cost him later.
Corman is probably screwed if Masque is his best movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
People are too dismissive of Paul Anderson - Event Horizon could have knocked out a lot of works by better directors, the first Resident Evil is fun, Pandorum is fine, the desert RE is surprisingly good too. Never heard of Survival Quest but I'm assuming its up against a trash RE, so rip Paul

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js1a1AR41FY
fyi

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah dang, they solved the question of who's the best horror director, pack it up everyone

http://theyshootzombies.com/top50directors/1-25/

Also, The Addiction is quite the movie :stare:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Huh, apparenly Denise Cronenberg was the costume designer for both Dead Ringers and RE:Afterlife.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Don Coscarelli's Survival Quest vs Paul WT Andersons' Resident Evil:Afterlife

Survival Quest, it's quaint and wholesome and low budget. Lance Henriksen is fun, there's a young Katherine Keener, the actors in general are solid. It's not even remotely a horror movie and barely a thriller, in fact it's got strong young adult literature vibes all over. Somehow it's just charming enough to not be a total bore, but there is really nothing to the movie overall.

RE:Afterlife is almost embarrassing to watch, some dull teenage boy's idea of an action movie. Rarely do you see a movie trying so hard to badly copy the Matrix 11 years after that movie came out. It's very technically competent, they threw a lot of money around and the result is still completely art and joyless. It was juuuust dumb enough to keep my attention. There's zombies but like Survival Quest it's not a horror movie or even a thriller.

Hard choices here. Survival Quest is a respectable effort but shouldn't have been in the competition. RE is trash but at least nominally fits the bill. I don't actually like any Don Coscarelli movies I've seen so far, Phantasm didn't grip me, Bubba Ho Tep left me cold, and I actually stopped watching both Beastmaster and Incident On And Off A Mountain Road about halfway through. He strikes me as a bit of a dullard and I'm not really stoked to watch any more of his movies. Anderson, he's very hit or miss as I've said before, but I still want to see what kind of disasters or perhaps hidden gems he will produce in the future. So, unless I can be convinced otherwise, with a guilty conscience I will have to vote for RE:Afterlife

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

lmao

Ok next movie matchup

The Beyond vs The Addiction
The Beyond: I was never a big Fulci fan, and this movie is just as middling for me as his others that I've seen, except for The Black Cat, which rules. There is a charm to this movie as there is to all his others, the completely loving and janky destruction of eyeballs and gore in general, the haunting last shot, I can see why people would love this. I don't. I don't hate it either, it's just meh for me.

The Addiction
Extremely Gen X, anti-establishment/academia, perhaps inspirational to the look of A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night. The "subtext" is so heavy handed that it might as well be literally about drugs, and as the director confirms, it's meant to be about drugs. Duh. The actual subtext is much more interesting. I found it really intriguing how both the intial vampire and the protagonist ask for consent in their actions to perhaps absolve them for their sins, but as it's later shown it's all pretense, which is pretty much the only thing keeping even normal people from murdering each other. Now, here's my issue, this does not need to be hammered home with real pictures of the Holocaust and other atrocities, not in a silly vampire B movie. I know it's supposed to leave a sour taste in my mouth, and it does, but it's cheap and sleazy. Overall however it's the second best movie of the round unless Sick Girl or Halloweentown II exceed expectations (lol)

So once again I guess I'll vote against what I'm assuming is going to be the majority opinion. I'm not looking forward to (re)watching most Fulci movies, but Ferrara has been on my list for a while and I hope I get the incentive to see more of his work.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Birds vs Sick Girl
Sick Girl reminded me of my days as a zoologist, keeping bugs at home and definitely not getting very lucky with anyone who was not also a bug loving weirdo. I still love bugs but I don't have the time to keep them at home, sadly.
Anyways, it's a fun hour or so, all the actors are charming, I was perfectly satisfied. But let's be real, is this really a competition? Not much to say about The Birds here that hasn't been said, it's a love story that slowly gets more sinister until its nerve-wrecking finale. The special effects might not be quite there but who cares. Birds > Bugs

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah didn't enjoy Dead Ringers at all. It's neither sad nor funny nor horrific when it could have been either of these things and been great. Jeremy Iron's performance is absolutely wasted. Still beats Halloweentown II, someone did Mary Lambert dirty by including that one.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If it's not too much work, can Shreknet reshuffle the movie order after the first round is resolved? It's less fun knowing which movies are going to be up in which round.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Too bad about the losers, but if anything they are now more on my radar than before.

Lotta quality movies in this round, looking forward to everything. I'm scared of watching Last House On The Left now, thanks STAC Goat.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Crawl slaps, but Suspiria fucks

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ugh, I really don't want to watch this now. How does it compare to say, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I watched both of those movies and I voted Resident Evil, fight me bich

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Crawl vs. Suspiria, hmmm.

I've seen Crawl a couple days ago, and there's a lot to like about it. The lead actors have really good chemistry, the colours pop, it actually manages to be rather scary for a creature feature. Someone in the horror thread pointed out the weird sex vibes between dad and daughter, and yes I can see it, and it does make it even more interesting. I still loved the protagonists and wanted everyone to pull through, and I hooted and hollered in joy at several points in the movie, to myself, alone, in my empty apartment. Somehow I'd not seen any Ajas before, but he is definitely on my radar now.

Then again, Suspiria is a one of a kind masterpiece (sorry Inferno). The 4K remaster on a big screen with the volume turned to the max, its dazzling, it's brutal, its beautiful.

Crawl could have beaten a lot of Argentos' movies, but definitely not Suspiria.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well I watched Basket Case 2 cause I didn't want to skip it, and while I like it a bit more than the first one, it's still not really my thing. It's definitely a labour of love and I get why people are charmed by it. I'm also curious where the third one is going to go, but I'm not expecting much.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Basket Case 3 vs Pan's Labyrinth

Well, the Basket Case Trilogy is quite a journey, going from a dude dumping hot dogs into a wicker basket to a mutant in a mecha suit going on a small town cop killing spree to save his one dozen mutant babies.
I actually really enjoyed Basket Case 3, which I can't reaaaally say about the first two. Starting off with the absolute nuts ending of Basket Case 2 actually made me appreciate number two a bit more - somehow it had eased me into accepting the events which, when put at the beginning of 3, made me laugh out loud in disbelief. And it just goes from there, a campier Nightbreed (which I have to rewatch) that, like its predecessors, oozes love and care.

Really strong entry, and Del Toro is lucky he's bringing out the big guns with Pan's Labyrinth. It's a real beauty, it's eery, sad, and brutal. I wouldn't call it a horror movie, but there is real horror in some scenes.
Del Toro loves his monsters just as much as Henenlotter, but he's just downright better - more sensitive, more technically accomplished, and yes, there's more money of course. No shame in losing to that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Rewatched The Frighteners, for the first time in what, decades? I remember overly sensitive child me getting nightmares from this, in particular the (in retrospect) extremely tame shotgun head explosion. Shotgun head explosion in a Michael J Fox comedy? Hoooo boyyyy, what a tonally disjointed mess this is. It's easy to forget that before the epic fantasy trilogy thing, Peter Jackson used to be a Raimi style high energy horror director, and it does show occasionally. Still the whole thing comes off much more like a very mediocre Zemeckis joint (he produced). CGI is everywhere and it has not aged gracefully, so it's hard to cake over how sort of extremely hosed up the whole light ghost comedy about mass shootings is. Yikes, but I guess 1996 was a more innocent time in that regard. Fox is really low energy in this one, but Jake Busey and Dee Wallace are fun and so is Jeffrey Combs. Still, overall it just does not work as a movie at all. Oh it also ends with an absolutely inexcusably lovely cover of Don't Fear The Reaper, god drat.

I thought Jackson was going to knock out Fisher in this round - Hound of Baskerville is charming, Cushing and Lee and pretty much everyone else in it is entertaining, but it's also not really that great. Still, way better than The Frighteners.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah I'm voting Fisher too. I'm done with all movies except Last House On The Left, and I'll have to figure out how to deal with that. Sleepy Hollow is worse than I remembered unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I absolutely adored Sleepy Hollow when it first came out, and have always held it in high regard, but not really rewatched it until now. It's...fine? As mentioned by others, the art direction is very nice, it's very charmingly Halloweeny, personally I don't like the washed out colours but that is obviously a deliberate stylistic made by people who know what they're doing. On the negative side, which others have mentioned, there is really no depth to the movie, the love story feels very forced on, and Johnny Depp's schtick has gotten old (although both he and Christina Ricci are total babes). It just feels very flat, nothing really interesting about it.

So I guess I'll vote for Craven, gently caress it.