Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

STAC Goat posted:

We'll see.

It says you're in the committee to override stupid decisions so I assume you are able to voice your objections if you think an egregious error has been made on a list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Basebf555 posted:

The proper viewing order for watching Twin Peaks for the first time is just release order so Season 1, Season 2, Fire Walk With Me, then Season 3 last.

Honestly if STAC is as big a completionist as it appears, I would add in Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces between FWWM and S3, if you can get a hold of it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The tone of the first couple of episodes is not indicative of the full series. If you're willing to stick through the whole first season I think that's giving it a fair enough shot though.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'd say keep the extra time. The only downside is the thread might get a little quiet for a few days which isn't a big deal, whereas if you shorten the timeline you will have people skipping movies or feeling harried and rushed which is a bigger deal imho.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Crawl for the first time a couple of weeks ago and thought it was fun, but I'm literally wearing a Suspiria shirt. Not really much of a fight, to me. I've actually seen everything in this round already except for both The Frighteners and the Hound of the Baskervilles so I guess that is my main homework here.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've filled in my gaps. I was pleasantly surprised by The Frighteners which I watched this morning - it came out when I was around 10 or 11, and from the commercials, I remember thinking it looked scary (vaguely remember shots of the ghosts pushing through wallpaper). It's a lot more fun than I was expecting, and I really liked Jake Busey in it of all things.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Heads up that the 3rd post has a link to voting from last round, not the current round.

Currently watching The Stuff for the first time. Going to try and get through a few of my gaps today (I've also never seen the Burbs!)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I just want to say that I watched The Stuff for the first time ever because of this thread and while I liked the first 50 minutes the next 40 were awful and while I'm not surprised it won I am astounded at the margin

This round is a bop and I'm stoked

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I feel like this round was pretty easy the whole way through. From Beyond was a blast, one of my favorites from the tournament so far.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The former is how a triple threat normally works.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ridley Scott winning this round is a bummer imho

I haven't made a lot of effortposts or anything in this thread but I am really, really enjoying this tournament and some of the movies that I am discovering through it so shout out to Shrecknet for running it and shoutout to all of the posters writing really thoughtful rationales on why they're voting one way or another every round

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm in a goon horror discord but I don't read it much. Is that the one where the streams happen or is it a different one for CineD as a whole?, and if the latter I'd appreciate an invite in my PM box as I'd like to join for some of these.

This round is wild af and I am looking forward to watching Q for the first time as well as a bunch of rewatches

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I don't really post here but I do watch and vote, and this is a really tough round.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I would have had a harder time if Mars Attacks was the draw, but as it stands I think that match-up is the easiest one of this round. Which I am stoked about because I actually have not seen a lot of Del Toro's recent stuff.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Voting for Christine over Alien is justified if your personal criteria/weighting deems it so. Basebf555's post is full of good reasons why someone may choose Christine over Alien. There have been plenty of results already that made no sense to me, it is what it is, make your case and vote how you want and see how things come out.

I'd be down for a gang tag even if I don't post in here much, I read the thread obsessively and have been loving the tournament. Society has been in my Shudder queue for a while and I have been meaning to watch it, so this gives me an excuse which is great. That and Onibaba are my only new watches this round, but that's a good thing since I have less time to watch stuff this week.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Let's not forget that Sleepy Hollow knocked Wes Craven out of the tournament. There are all kinds of results that have set off different peoples' bullshit detectors, it is what it is.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I popped into the CineD stream last night to watch bits and pieces of FWWM and see where you were all at; I was too busy with the basketball game at the time to get invested, but I agree that FWWM is a masterpiece.

I've just finished the Devil's Backbone for the first time and found it beautiful. I'll have to watch Bad Taste before I decide but this match-up is a reaaaal apples vs. oranges type of deal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm curious to see if anyone intends to vote Bad Taste over the Devil's Backbone. I've watched both over the last day and a half, and while Bad Taste is funny and the gore is charming, it doesn't really have much behind it to make me want to vote for it.

Similarly while I think Drag Me to Hell is a ton of fun, FWWM scares me every time I watch it and has some truly incredible performances, it's hard to even consider voting against FWWM. I'm interested to see what others have to say especially STAC since they pushed through Twin Peaks and didn't like it and now is at least rewarded by having the movie come up in the draw :shobon:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Fran I just wanted to say that post rules.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well maybe Special Effects should have had more horny snakes in it then.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Franchescanado posted:

Call me a heathen, but it's really just Day of the Dead vs Godzilla. I'll rewatch The Host, having seeing Bong Joon Ho's career grow (The Host was my intro to the guy), but it's not on par with the other two in my book. Hell, it's a South Korean reaction to Godzilla.

Yeah I agree with this though I haven't seen Godzilla since I was a kid (I'll rewatch it for the tournament). The Host is a lot of fun but I don't know if it really has a chance here. Day of the Dead is excellent, I'm going to rewatch that right now I think.

I've never seen Ichi (I used to struggle with really gory movies and I've heard it's up there) but I did watch Dolls at some point this summer and it's really silly and tons of fun. The VHS box art used to scare me so bad when I was a kid, we kept our VHS movies in an old dresser and I would dare myself to pull it out and flip it to the front. But it's not exactly a great movie, we'll see after I watch Ichi I guess.

The Blob / Hereditary match-up is tough. I only watched The Blob for the first time this summer but it's a ton of fun, I really loved it and if I saw it as a kid I think it would be one that I had more room in my heart for, it is great but I don't have the same nostalgia that others do. Hereditary I found really distressing, something about Aster's movies make me feel kind of sick, I know a lot of goons think his stuff is hollow but something about them just bothers me in a good way. I'll see how swayed I am by the effortposts of others as I really don't know which way to go on this one.

I've never seen Necronomicon, but I have seen Hannibal and don't like it much. Looking forward to watching Necronomicon though!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Basebf555 posted:

Dolls is most definitely better than any Puppetmaster movie. And I like the Puppetmaster series.

Yeah for one thing with Dolls you're not waiting like a loving hour for the dolls to do anything (like in the first Puppet Master).

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm not a big write up guy but I'm going to try to say a little more this time around.

Day of the Dead vs Godzilla vs The Host
Let's get this out of the way: The Host is a very good movie, lots of heart and laughs with great moments and a cool monster (even with some bummer CGI), but there's no way it gets my vote over either of the other contenders in this match-up. I loved rewatching it this morning, but it just solidified my stance. Day of the Dead has a lot to love and for a time was my favorite Romero zombie movie. It has some of the most memorable gore/kills, an odd banger of a soundtrack, a feeling of claustrophobia and nihilism that I find really effective. I think it is generally underrated compared to say, Dawn. And then we have Godzilla, a movie I last saw as a child. Barely counts as a rewatch since I remembered so little beyond a big lizard in the backyard blasting atomic breath and stomping on buildings. For its time, the effects are awesome. I loved seeing the different ways Honda and Tsuburaya played with perspective and shadow and miniatures to manipulate me into believing. More than that though, the story is so good - it's not really a movie about Godzilla, it's about the horrors of nuclear war and national trauma, which I obviously never picked up on as a kid. I didn't expect to go this way, and I wouldn't fault anyone for going with Romero, but my vote goes to Godzilla.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Necronomicon vs Hannibal
Necronomicon is a goofy anthology dripping with goopy, tentacular practical effects. The wrap-around anchor is a perfectly cromulent story and 2/3 of the shorts were great fun (the only one that I didn't love was the middle one, which Yuzna had nothing to do with anyway). Hannibal is also goofy, but is convinced that it isn't, to its detriment. My vote is for Necronomicon.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Ichi today and had similar reactions to STAC. I don't think I'd ever watch it again but it wasn't as rough a watch as I expected.

I'm done early!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like the idea of a best of three thing for the finals, but at the same time:

TrixRabbi posted:

Like, if we send, say George Romero, to the final round is it fair for him to have to win the whole tournament just on the strength of Creepshow if that's his last remaining film?

Yes, absolutely, it is as fair as the rest of the randomness of the tournament.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well, sure. This whole thing from the start has been built on feeling deflated due to a poor draw. If Ken Russell somehow makes it to the end and we're all watching The Very Horney Snake on repeat, that's by design to some extent. But like I said, the best of three for the finals sounds way cooler and I would prefer it! I just don't know if "fairness" really comes into the equation for something like this.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

My wife and I almost moved into the apartment building shown in exterior shots of Videodrome, a few years ago. I was so disappointed that someone got the apartment before we could.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

married but discreet posted:

Altered States beats Ichi for me

I'm glad I am not alone. I really loved Altered States, I'm probably going to watch it again before Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Makes sense to me. The final round was the same as the rest of the tournament - it really relied on the luck of the draw for the directors involved. Thanks for wrangling this whole mess Shrecknet and to everyone else for the thoughtful write-ups and so on. I had a good time and saw some cool movies!