Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like Prometheus, but this is still the worst Ted Talk ever given. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SSU29Arj0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: oops, wrong thread.

Discussing it elsewhere people did seem to think a bunch of scientists who once in the field couldn't find their rear end with both hands was actually p. realistic academia.

I once saw a respected professor demonstrate a drone imaging system to an audience of his peers by flying it directly into the only available tree.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Take it from someone even duller and more boring than the both of you-- you guys are sucking the air out of the thread. Chill out and agree to disagree.

It's just kinda annoying to read the same worthless criticisms ad nauseam for years. They mean nothing and don't even attempt to comment on the quality of the movie itself. "That character did something dumb that I wouldn't have done in their shoes" is not a criticism. This is what happens with movies and the internet. The narrative about a movie is set by that echo chamber and then it's parroted over and over again by people who act like they've had an interesting original thought.

You don't hear people complaining about the costumes, set design, cinematography, the score, or the cast and their performances. All that stuff is excellent.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Basebf555 posted:

You don't hear people complaining about the costumes, set design, cinematography, the score, or the cast and their performances. All that stuff is excellent.

Most people aren't cinema formalists.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tulip posted:

Most people aren't cinema formalists.

I had to google that term and this was in the wiki article:

quote:

Also, the German Expressionists (including Fritz Lang, who was not technically an expressionist as popularly believed[citation needed])

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Basebf555 posted:

It's just kinda annoying to read the same worthless criticisms ad nauseam for years.

I totally agree with this. With Prometheus all the nitpicks about dumb scientists and toppling spaceships aren't the problem, and they're super played out. Well, they're a minor problem but none of the typical complaints add up to why the movie is a terrible pile of poo poo. Scott stumbled into the whole ancient aliens Chariots of the Gods goofiness 40 years after it had wound down into an awkward joke on the History channel, and he decided that it was some thought provoking material that deserved a movie. I assume because he doesn't have cable. He asked some producers to fund it, they noped him out the door because it was a played out idea and humoring grandpa wasn't worth 200 million bucks. So Scott came back around with "How 'bout you guys fund a new Alien film?" thinking he'd could sneak his ancient alien move in the back door. Then he proceed to make his original dumb movie by slopping in a bucket of imitation xenomorph goop and baking two bad movies into one half thought out incomprehensible mess. Prometheus is a bad movie because it's 50% the silly movie he wanted to make and 50% a bad movie he didn't want to make at all.

I kinda wish he'd kept in his plan to explain that the engineers wanted to kill humanity out of revenge because Jesus was an Engineer who came back to Earth to say "Hi kids I'm your creator! how's it going?" and the humans crucified him. So they spent a couple thousand years perfecting their Earth Eraser Goo™ but accidentally shot themselves in the foot with it. I wish I was making that up, google the interviews if you think I'm lying. If that hadn't been cut I bet way less people would still be trying to defend that train wreck.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Frankenstyle posted:

I kinda wish he'd kept in his plan to explain that the engineers wanted to kill humanity out of revenge because Jesus was an Engineer who came back to Earth to say "Hi kids I'm your creator! how's it going?" and the humans crucified him. So they spent a couple thousand years perfecting their Earth Eraser Goo™ but accidentally shot themselves in the foot with it. I wish I was making that up, google the interviews if you think I'm lying. If that hadn't been cut I bet way less people would still be trying to defend that train wreck.

It's a silly explanation, but you should see what they're saying in the insides of churches!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

FunkyAl posted:

It's a silly explanation, but you should see what they're saying in the insides of churches!

This is the Sci Fi thread. Not Fantasy.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

If Prometheus had depicted the crucifixion of an Engineer in 30AD Jerusalem I would gladly hail it as the greatest movie ever made.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Frankenstyle posted:

This is the Sci Fi thread. Not Fantasy.

so we're free to discuss Scientology, right?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Laterite posted:

If Prometheus had depicted the crucifixion of an Engineer in 30AD Jerusalem I would gladly hail it as the greatest movie ever made.

I think I'm with you on that one

"one thing only the apocryphal Gospel of Timothy mentions is that Jesus was blue and ten feet tall"

I'm also picturing another engineer showing up in 700 AD, and getting super into debates about the true nature of Jesus, his Father, and the holy spirit, are they separate parts of the same thing, etc

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Every major event explained with Engineers.

10ft tall Robespierre complete with powdered wig.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If black goo turns you into a space monster do you think white goo (engineer cum) can heal you and explains all of Jesus's miracles?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's really rad that the engineers look like the "classical" depiction of an idealized man and also looks like gross monsters with hard boiled eggs for heads

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
One time I was drinking with my coworkers after a work event and one of them got some edibles (prior to legalization) so I ate one and we made our way over to the metreon in SF, hoping to see a movie. Our choice? Prometheus

We had taken just long enough to get to the theatre that I was high as balls by the time we were buying our tickets, so I got in line at chipotle and told them I'd meet them in the theatre. By the time I got up to the movie I was way too high to find my coworkers in a dark theatre so I grabbed a seat at the end of an aisle and happily ate my burrito. I don't have a clear memory of the first half of the movie but I got to the squid c-section part and said "well I'm going home" and bailed. My coworkers had no idea where I was until I came into the office the next day

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Aglet56 posted:

One time I was drinking with my coworkers after a work event and one of them got some edibles (prior to legalization) so I ate one and we made our way over to the metreon in SF, hoping to see a movie. Our choice? Prometheus

We had taken just long enough to get to the theatre that I was high as balls by the time we were buying our tickets, so I got in line at chipotle and told them I'd meet them in the theatre. By the time I got up to the movie I was way too high to find my coworkers in a dark theatre so I grabbed a seat at the end of an aisle and happily ate my burrito. I don't have a clear memory of the first half of the movie but I got to the squid c-section part and said "well I'm going home" and bailed. My coworkers had no idea where I was until I came into the office the next day

This is the way Prometheus was meant to be viewed.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ian Holm died this morning

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I love that they got the screen test stage before abandoning this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nebakenezzer posted:

As I remember back in my early university days, arguing about subtext meaning in movies etc is in a real sense a mug's game, as once you get a little skill, you can match anything to any message

so I'm not going to argue. Instead, I want to see you look at other movies for a bit and talk about how the bad guys are not bad guys

Please start with the OG Exorcist, about how the demon was hurt too, and then maybe take us through The Wizard of Oz (1939) about how the Wicked Witch of the West is in fact the movie's victim as after all, I mean we all forget Dorothy cold bloodedly murdered her sister by dropping a house on her

I think you just broke CineD :argh:

Anyone coming to Allens after playing any video games at all is also going to feel a little let down because that has to be the single most formative influence on shooter aesthetics.