Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

Preliminary orders for Echo Group

Scouts to Advance SSE across the road and into the building, if possible shooting at the Spotter team.

(I think they could also run to get to the far end of the building? not sure)

BA-10 to Advance back SE a few inches so it can cover that crossroads and Objective Charlie. Shooting at any vehicles that come up the road.

You have to use a RUN order to enter buildings so you'll have to decide which is more critical, entering the building or shooting at the spotter.

quote:

the positions as i understand them

Based on my recollection this is about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Class Warcraft posted:

You have to use a RUN order to enter buildings so you'll have to decide which is more critical, entering the building or shooting at the spotter.

definitely entering the building, I don't think I'll have LoS to the spotter anyway.

Thanks, I'll wait for the rest of the team to weigh in and then send a final orders.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was planning on having the inexperienced rifle team + officer take over the vets squad in defending Delta, while having the vets move on over to either secure Charlie or reinforce Bravo, trying to get the medics over to them as fast as possible. What do you guys think?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Bravo is going to need all the help it can get IMO.

Based on their current deployment I think they're going to push east from Bravo to Alpha and then North to Delta. We should shift our defenses based on that.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Bravo:

Forward Artillery Observer: FIRE artillery, centered directly behind the breech of the 88mm gun.

Vet squad: FIRE at the mortar unit across the street.

AT gun: AMBUSH any soft-skinned vehicle or half-track that comes into view. The AT gun is to go DOWN if fired upon.

We're probably going to get hammered; hopefully my AT gun will live a couple more turns.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Charlie:

1 - I plan on doing a flanking maneuver on the Nebelwerfer, so the SMG Vets will Run into the thatched house on objective Charlie.

2 - HQ and the Rifle Squad will Run into the house the SMG vets were in.

3- Medics will also Run towards the Delta house, trying to stay outside of enemy LoS.

Let me know if any of these moves is invalid.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ORDERS CANCELLED

Echo Group

Scouts to RUN SSE across the road and into the long brown building, getting as close to the SW end as they can.

BA-10 to Advance back SE a few inches so it can cover that crossroads and Objective Charlie. Shooting at any vehicles that come up the road.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 15, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

INTEL:

Soviet command has sent a radio transmission that part of the German force is outflanking to either the North or South - they're not sure which.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

INTEL:

Soviet command has sent a radio transmission that part of the German force is outflanking to either the North or South - they're not sure which.

OK I'm going to test how conditional you'll allow our orders to be here

Echo Group

Scouts will

• FIRE on the closest valid unit if Germans are in range, or:
  • AMBUSH if German units appear on the North board edge but not within range, or:
  • RUN SSE across the road and into the long brown building, getting as close to the SW end as they can if no German units appear on the north side of the board before their activation.

BA-10 will

• ADVANCE back SE a few inches so it can cover that crossroads and Objective Charlie if no German units appear on the north side of the board before their activation.
  • FIRE on the closest valid unit if Germans are in range, or:
  • AMBUSH if German units appear on the North board edge but not within LoS, or:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The soonest outflanking units can arrive is Turn 3 so you're ok for now.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

The soonest outflanking units can arrive is Turn 3 so you're ok for now.

ok cool, disregard all that guff then

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
If I drive the T-34 onto the board, is there any chance I can get close enough to the 88 to hit it with my MMGs?

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can drive on that can get side armor on the PzIV?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I wanna say don't try and go head to head with the 88. maybe come in on the middle road? let the artillery make a mess of their parking lot first.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If I drive the T-34 onto the board, is there any chance I can get close enough to the 88 to hit it with my MMGs?

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can drive on that can get side armor on the PzIV?

Driving down the road means you can advance 18" and still fire, so there are probably a couple places you could do that and get close. The 88mm has a 7 man crew so you'd have to get pretty lucky to take them out in one volley.

If you enter from the South East corner there is a nice hulldown position behind the train that gives you a side-armor shot on the Panzer IV and most of the rest of the German forces there.

In Bolt Action tanks can fire their hull-mounted weapons at one target and their turret mounted weapons at another (although you have to choose to fire the main cannon or your coaxial MMG).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Orders for Alpha Team:
x2 Captain w/Assistant (Regular) - Don't die, you idiots.
x2 AT Rifle Team (Regular) - Move up to the fence line to have LoS on the road.
x10 LMG Squad (Regular) - Move into the large building next to Objective Alpha & set up in the windows looking south-west (cover the objective & woods).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Class Warcraft posted:

Driving down the road means you can advance 18" and still fire, so there are probably a couple places you could do that and get close. The 88mm has a 7 man crew so you'd have to get pretty lucky to take them out in one volley.

If you enter from the South East corner there is a nice hulldown position behind the train that gives you a side-armor shot on the Panzer IV and most of the rest of the German forces there.

In Bolt Action tanks can fire their hull-mounted weapons at one target and their turret mounted weapons at another (although you have to choose to fire the main cannon or your coaxial MMG).

Gotcha. In that case, I want the T-34 to show up as early as possible in that hull-down position, hit the Panzer with the AT gun, and the motorcycle with the hull MG (if in range)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Looks like I have everyone's orders. Can someone organize your team into a list of who should activate first to last this turn?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

My orders are mostly repositioning so I am fine with going dead last.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Maybe this for order?

I assume they're going to move that mech group ASAP and we can hopefully get the truck out of the sights. Otherwise flip Delta and Bravo if we want to roll the dice.

Delta
Bravo
Tank
Alpha
Echo
Charlie

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I hadn't intended to submit orders with my post, but if you're fine with taking my musings and turning them into effective battlefield tactics then I'm okay with that, I trust you not to screw me over.

Do you want more definite orders from me for Delta?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hypnobeard posted:

Maybe this for order?

I assume they're going to move that mech group ASAP and we can hopefully get the truck out of the sights. Otherwise flip Delta and Bravo if we want to roll the dice.

Delta
Bravo
Tank
Alpha
Echo
Charlie

This order works for me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I hadn't intended to submit orders with my post, but if you're fine with taking my musings and turning them into effective battlefield tactics then I'm okay with that, I trust you not to screw me over.

Do you want more definite orders from me for Delta?

You've still got an hour and a half until orders are due so you can submit more detailed orders if you'd like, or if you're happy with them as-is, I'll roll with that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Class Warcraft posted:

You've still got an hour and a half until orders are due so you can submit more detailed orders if you'd like, or if you're happy with them as-is, I'll roll with that.

Go with it then. Thanks.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

TURN 2 RESULTS

With so many forces in precarious positions who gets the first activation this turn could determine how things unfold. Let's see it shook out...

First Draw - German Group E
The Germans get lucky with the first dice pull. The 88mm locks the Soviet truck in its sights and unleashes a superheavy AT shell that punches into the truck, setting it on fire. The stunned truck crew scramble to put out the fire, but it spreads out of control, forcing them to ditch the vehicle.

There is carnage in the back of the truck, as the AT shell travels the length of the cargo area, killing four of the truck's passengers. The six surviving Soviet infantry pile out the back of the truck, and retreat into the nearby farmstead for cover (they also suffered two pins). Meanwhile, the flames have engulfed the truck, rendering it useless.

In the south the intrepid German motorcycle team race down the road and turn the corner to find a squad of Soviet infantry crossing into the farmyard. They unleash a burst of MG fire, cutting down one Soviet soldier, but missing the remainder. (One pin for the Soviet infantry).

Second Draw - Soviet Force Delta
The second dice goes to the Soviets - too late, however, to save their motorized infantry. The truck has been destroyed and the infantry have gone DOWN from being forced to dismount from the burning vehicle. The spotter for the Heavy Mortar repositions to gain line-of-sight on the German nebelwerfer.

Third Draw - German Group D
The Germans get the next dice and send their veteran infantry North towards Objective Charlie.

Meanwhile, the spotter for the mortar calls in a fire mission on the Soviets occupying the small house across the street from Charlie. The first spotting round lands wide, missing its target.

The German Nebelwerfer is ordered to fire on the advancing Soviets at Delta, but the ruined farmhouse blocks their view. The Nebelwerfer commander instead orders his men to manhandle the gun slightly North to a position with better line-of-sight.

Fourth Draw - German Group B
Once again the Germans draw another dice. The Panzer IV fires another howitzer shell into the Meeting Hall. This one hits, killing one Soviet veteran and putting two pins on the group. The hull-MG gunner searches for targets to the East, but no Soviet troops are visible.

Meanwhile, the halftrack motors down the road, putting intervening terrain between it and the Soviet forces at Alpha. The MG gunner keeps an eye open, but the woods and shed prevent him from seeing the Soviet infantry.

Fifth Draw - Soviet Tank Force
[Here I messed up and resolved the Tank instead of the Soviet group that was supposed to go next, but it ended up not mattering as the Germans had resolved all their on-map actions by this point anyway.]

A wild T-34 appears.

The hull-gunner opens up on the German motorcycle team, pinning them, but not doing any damage. A second later a 76mm AT shell flies out of the barrel, striking the Panzer IV on its right side. The shell penetrates easily, exploding inside the tank and killing the crew instantly. The ammo rack detonates, and within seconds a plume of flame and smoke rise from the knocked-out tank.

Sixth Draw - Force Bravo
The Forward Artillery Observer in the belltower calls in a Danger Close artillery strike on the 88mm flak gun below. The order is received and will be resolved next turn before any activations take place.

The Soviet veterans shake off one of their pins and open fire on the German Mortar team across the street from them. The Mortar crew receives some cover from the stone wall in front of them, but not enough. Two of the three crewmen are dropped by accurate rifle fire. The last remaining crewmember takes a morale test, but passes. The mortar stays on the field with a pin, and a single remaining crew member.

To the North, the AT rifle team ready themselves with an Ambush order.

Seventh Draw - Soviet Force Alpha
The NCO gets his men moving, shaking off the pin. The Soviet infantry pile into the nearby house North of Alpha.

The AT Rifle team advances West, capturing Objective Alpha and, past the burning Panzer IV, draw a bead on the Sdkfz 7. They loose a round, but it goes wide, missing the halftrack.

Eighth Draw - Soviet Force Echo
On the North end of the map the BA-10 reverses slightly so that it can cover the open space near Objective Charlie.

The Scout Squad head South, running into the long wooden building and taking up positions on the South end.

Ninth Draw - Soviet Force Charlie
Yelling "urrahhh" the Soviet veterans in the small house near Charlie charge across the street - piling into the thatched roof house at Charlie. As they take up position at the windows they see the surprised look of the veteran Germans staring back at them from only feet away. Both sides ready guns and grenades for what is sure to be a short-range bloodbath.

At Objective Delta the Lt., Medics, and Inexperienced Infantry surge forward, slowed by the numerous fences.

---

All Other Units
Some German units remain in reserve this turn.

MAP OVERVIEW - END OF TURN 2
South

Middle

North

Southwest

East

Rosters:

SOVIET TEAM
Alpha - Zuul the Cat
x2 Captain with assistant (Regular) - KIA
x2 AT Rifle Team (Regular) - At Objective Alpha
x10 LMG Squad (Regular) - 1 KIA - At Objective Alpha

Bravo - Hypnobeard
x2 AT Rifle Team (Regular) - Northeast of Objective Alpha
x10 Veteran Squad (Vets) - 1 KIA - At Objective Bravo
x2 Forward Artillery Observer (Regular) - Belltower at Objective Bravo

Charlie - Azran
x2 HQ (Regular) - At Objective Delta
x2 Medics (Regular) - At Objective Delta
x10 Veteran SMG Squad (Vets) - In house near Objective Charlie
x12 Rifle Squad (Inexperienced) - At Objective Delta

Delta - Lumniscate Blue
x1 Truck (Regular) - KIA
x10 LMG Squad (Regular) - 4KIA - East of Objective Echo
x1 Heavy Mortar (Regular) - Southwest of Objective Delta
x1 Spotter - East of Objective Echo

Echo - thatbastardken
x7 Scout Squad (Vets) - South of Objective Echo
x1 BA-10 Armored Car (Regular) - North of Objective Delta

Tank - Acebuckeye13 -
x1 T-34/76 Medium Tank (Regular) - In SouthEast corner of map

:siren: ORDERS ARE DUE 48 HOURS FROM NOW - WEDNESDAY 6:00PM PDT :siren:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

huh. that went... about as well as could be expected, I guess.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 16, 2020

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

thatbastardken posted:

huh. that went... about as well as could be expected, I guess.

Yeah, that was surprising, really.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
hell

yeah

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

:boom:

I think I can have the scouts run up and assault that forward observer. seems a little unfair, but we didn't invite them to invade родина

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How many of my veterans will be able to shoot at the german infantry right next to them? I'm considering just getting into melee but IIRC it's a victory-or-death situation. I think I'm going to send my rifle squad, HQ and medics towards Bravo, but I'm open to suggestions.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Azran posted:

How many of my veterans will be able to shoot at the german infantry right next to them? I'm considering just getting into melee but IIRC it's a victory-or-death situation. I think I'm going to send my rifle squad, HQ and medics towards Bravo, but I'm open to suggestions.

Only two guys can fire out any window in buildings, so if they stay put only two guys would get to shoot. If they move to a different side of the house that might change.

If either of you assault each other you’d fight simultaneously due to the intervening walls. Since you are so close neither side would get to open fire on the way in.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Azran posted:

your guys and theirs are both veterans, i think your guys all having SMGs will give you the edge in an assault BUT you'll be giving up the cover of the house. the vet squad at bravo might be able to shoot across the street to help you?

the medics should definitely head for bravo, but maybe have the rifle and HQ dig in to see where that flanking move is coming from?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The nebelwerfer moved, but just a little - does my mortar still have LoS?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The wild T-34 showing up and punching a hole in the Panzer was awesome.

Alpha Team Orders:
x2 AT Rifle Team (Regular) - At Objective Alpha - Set up ambush to open fire on the halftrack as it passes.
x10 LMG Squad (Regular) - 1 KIA - At Objective Alpha - Hold position in the house, open fire on the motorcycle or any infantry that disembark from either of the halftracks.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Bravo Team

Vet Infantry: FIRE on infantry across the street if visible, otherwise DOWN.

Forward Artillery Observer: FIRE on mortar if not needed for artillery duties.

AT Gun: AMBUSH any soft-skinned vehicle or half-track that becomes visible. (Do they have an arc of fire? Or will they see e.g. the motorcycle trundling down the road in front of them from the rail yard?)

Suggested order of activation:

Charlie
Tank
Alpha
Bravo
Echo
Delta

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm good with that order of activation.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The nebelwerfer moved, but just a little - does my mortar still have LoS?

Yes, you can also see some of the German infantry near Objective Charlie.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hypnobeard posted:

AT Gun: AMBUSH any soft-skinned vehicle or half-track that becomes visible. (Do they have an arc of fire? Or will they see e.g. the motorcycle trundling down the road in front of them from the rail yard?)

AT rifles (and other non-fixed units) have a 360 vision and arc of fire, so they'd be able to fire at any movement within range. Once you're in AMBUSH you can remain in ABMUSH between turns, so that's what I'll do for these guys.

There is a lot of intervening terrain, the enemy would need to come into the Objective Alpha farm perimeter to really give you a shot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Rifle Squad, Medics and HQ will Run towards the church, hopefully taking cover behind the graveyard's stone wall. I assume Advancing would leave them all out of cover and their odds of hitting the germans are very low.

Vets will Fire at the Veteran german squad right next to them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm ok with that activation order

ECHO GROUP

Scout Squad to ADVANCE SW to behind the chicken coop and shoot the German forward observer. IF the Scout Squad cannot shoot the forward observer, they should shoot the German veteran squad.

BA-10 to FIRE on any valid target. If no target is available, enter AMBUSH instead,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Tank is to sit still and blast the halftrack with the main gun, and continue hosing down the motorcycle with the hull gun. If either of these targets move out of LoS, engage the best targets of opportunity.