Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

:siren: 24 Hour Warning for Deployment + 1st Turn Orders :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
[Placeholder while I stew, orders and deployment will be up tonight. ]

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Class Warfare, how big is the board? 6x4 again?

OK, final force:

quote:

Default Force - Zuul the Cat
HQ - Senior Lt. with assistant (2 infantry - Veteran)
Airborne Squad - Soviet paratroopers converted to an infantry role. They have Tough Fighters so they can score up to 2 kills each in close combat. Equipped with rifles and 1 LMG. (10 infantry - Veteran)
Medium Machine Gun - Has a gun-shield to protect the crew (3 crew - Regular)

Option B: Additional Infantry - Tias
Sniper team - Sniper with spotter (2 infantry - Veteran)
Medium Mortar - Comes with spotter (4 crew - Regular)
LMG Squad - Squad with 1 LMG (10 infantry - Regular)

Option D: Experienced Tank Support - thatbastardken
T-70 - Light tank with Light AT gun and coaxial MMG (1 tank - Regular)
Veteran Squad - Vet squad armed with SMGS (9 infantry - Veterans)

Option F: AT Gun - Hypnobeard
ZIS-3 AT Gun - Medium AT Gun that can also fire as a light howitzer (3 crew - Regular)
Airborne Squad - Soviet paratroopers converted to an infantry role. They have Tough Fighters so they can score up to 2 kills each in close combat. Equipped with rifles and 1 LMG. (10 infantry - Veteran)

Option H: Assault Engineers - WhiskeyWhiskers
Captain - Boosts morale of nearby units (2 infantry - Regular)
Rifle Squad - All armed with rifles (12 infantry - Inexperienced)
Assault Engineers - 5 SMGs, 1 Flamethrower. Wearing body-armor. Nigh impossible to kill with small-arms. (8 infantry - Veterans)

AT Gun orders:

AT Gun: Deploy as shown, FIRE if there is a vehicle in sight, otherwise AMBUSH any vehicles that appear.
VDV #2: Deploy as shown, ADVANCE to cover behind wrecked tank (RUN if necessary.) If fired upon, DOWN.

Suggested order:

Zuul the Cat
WhiskeyWhiskers
thatbastardken
Hypnobeard
Tias

I think our general goal should be to get the infantry into the objective ASAP, with the vehicles and support weapons (outside of the flamethrower) trying to clear the way for them to get into it. I don't know that there's going to be a lot of real tactics involved, this looks to be a pretty brutal slugfest in the building.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hypnobeard posted:

Class Warfare, how big is the board? 6x4 again?

OK, final force:

AT Gun orders:

AT Gun: Deploy as shown, FIRE if there is a vehicle in sight, otherwise AMBUSH any vehicles that appear.
VDV #2: Deploy as shown, ADVANCE to cover behind wrecked tank (RUN if necessary.) If fired upon, DOWN.

Suggested order:

Zuul the Cat
WhiskeyWhiskers
thatbastardken
Hypnobeard
Tias

I think our general goal should be to get the infantry into the objective ASAP, with the vehicles and support weapons (outside of the flamethrower) trying to clear the way for them to get into it. I don't know that there's going to be a lot of real tactics involved, this looks to be a pretty brutal slugfest in the building.

It’s about 5x4. Reminder to everyone that the first two turns are night fighting which means visibility is going to max out at around 12-16”.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cursory deployment idea: How's about I place the sniper squad and mortar spotter on the first floor of the building in the upper left end of the zone, due up from the VDV, and then move them forward to take up overwatch position there, then place the mortar by the support squad, and then just let the LMG group deploy in the street and run towards the rail station?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The inexperienced Rifle Squad and Captain will deploy in the building south of the AT gun. The Assault Engineers will deploy in the intersection with the AT gun.

The engineers: will RUN towards the fountain.
The inexperienced rifle squad and Captain: will RUN north to get into the building across the street.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 6, 2020

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Veteran Infantry and T-70 to DEPLOY in the rough terrain on the SE corner, with the T-70 facing W and using the building to it's N as cover, and the Vets to the south of the T-70

T-70 orders: FIRE on available vehicle or infantry targets if possible. IF no targets are available move W and take position behind the disabled T-34 facing N

Veteran Infantry Orders: RUN NW and take positions N of the disabled T-34.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 6, 2020

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i'm going to try to map out all our deployments so we don't have a traffic jam, but if someone beats me to it i would be very grateful

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

it's pretty crowded

Tias
May 25, 2008

We could let some soldiers hang back, but it might be advisable to get them to the station before sunrise.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

:siren: Deployment and Turn 1 Orders Due in 12 Hours :siren:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Tias posted:

We could let some soldiers hang back, but it might be advisable to get them to the station before sunrise.

I'll keep the tank back and have the veterans move more to the north to keep things going.

T-70 to DEPLOY in the rough terrain on the SE corner, with the T-70 facing W and using the building to it's N as cover. Orders are to FIRE on available vehicle or infantry targets, or AMBUSH if none are available.

Veterans to DEPLOY on the word ZONE then RUN NW towards the objective.

Tias
May 25, 2008

(I now only have one post with orders in to minimize confusion, sorry)

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 6, 2020

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Tias posted:

Any feedback or suggestions? The deadline is this evening my time, so I have plenty of time to correct.

I'd recommend using the compass directions provided on the map, that way you can make your movement orders more precise. The T-70 is staying still for the first turn now so it doesn't cause a traffic jam, otherwise the LMG squad should be fine. It might be worth keeping your units from running if they don't have to because i think running reveals them. Maybe consider putting your mortar's spotter somewhere in the eastern ruins on an upper floor, to give maximum LoS over the battlefield?

We're going to have a big, intimidating wall of infantry coming up from the south east and I am here for it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ah crap, sorry guys I forgot you have a couple units that can Forward Deploy: the Sniper Team & Mortar Spotter.

These two units do not have to be deployed in your deployment zone. You can deploy them anywhere on the map except the German deployment zone. Yes, you can even put them directly in the Rail Station if you're feeling cheeky.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

oh neat

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh wow. Should I dump tje mortar spotter east and the sniper somewhere high up?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

maybe put the mortar spotter on the second floor of the building the captain is starting in? looks like good sight lines over a fair whack of the battlefield.

the sniper...maybe the NW corner of the building they were starting in? second floor, again. I'd be cautious about leaving them too isolated.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Is this accurate to our game? Because holy poo poo.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

ahahaha that owns, occupy this flaming deathtrap if you like, germans!

Tias
May 25, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If we have flamers, so might the enemy :) I fully foresee a Hanomag with a vehicle projector zipping around and burning us all alive, which is why we need the AT fire to be on point.

PROVISIONAL DEPLOYMENT AND ORDERS FOR MORTARS, SNIPERS, THEIR SPOTTERS and LMG SQUAD

That is,
Sniper Group AMBUSHES, Sniper spotter ADVANCES by shimmying to ground floor and advancing in a northwestern diagonal.
Mortar Group AMBUSHES, Mortar spotter AMBUSHES, in order to lead mortar fire if he/she spots any running Germans.
LMG SQUAD ADVANCES out of their deployment road in northweastern diagonal, hopefully to make some cover by the tank and shell holes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 6, 2020

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Set up the MMG overlooking the objective in cover near the right flank of our deployment zone. Also deploy the HQ & Airborne closet to the objective, they're going to hold it asap.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

ahahaha that owns, occupy this flaming deathtrap if you like, germans!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes, but when they say building they mean like a single family residence like we used last game. There are rules for large buildings in one of the campaign books we’ll be using for his map - basically that each room is considered as a separate building for the purposes of damage.

Tias
May 25, 2008

CW, paste this flavour text to the spec thread, if you want to that is:

Excerpt from the Rossiiskii Gosudarstvenni Voennyi Arkhiv, or Russian State Military Archive, dated ca. the autumn of 1942

Dear father,

I am engaging the enemy at a historic time, and in a historic town! I can say no more, but I trust you to know of what I speak. I have been given command of fifteen men, and that could not have come a moment too soon. As you know, many of my commanding officers are new, what with the sabotage and spying trials of last year, but I have confidence that our colonel - a man with a swirling beard like Rasputins! - will see us to victory.

Men have been brought from all over to accomplish the task before us. My mortar crew are sons of convicts, and our machinegun loaders are from Siberia, truly all of the motherland has risen to drive back the invaders! There is a sense of growing enthusiasm, though it is tinged with fear. Some men from Ukraine have been rounded up and sent away, on grounds of
REDACTED

I am ready to destroy the fascist enemy, and do not begrudge the motherland my life in the struggle.

Alexei Tiasonov,
Junior Lieutenant,
Support Weapons Platoon,
422nd Rifle Division, 57th Army, Stalingrad Front.

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 6, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DEPLOYMENT & TURN 1 RESULTS

In the dark, both sides advance on the vital Stalingrad Rail Station.

Deployment

Germans
The bulk of the German forces arrive amidst the chaos of the trainyard. Taking cover in two abandonded train cars and waiting for the order to advance are two squads of German Pioneers (technically spelled Pioniers but it's easier for me to spell the other way [tomato tamahto]).

Nearby two regular infantry squads, a Lt., an MMG team, an AT Rifle team, a Panzergrenadier Squad, an infantry gun, and a halftrack take up various positions among the trains.

To the North a Panzer II and a halftrack stuffed with Panzergrenadiers take up position between two wrecked buildings.

Soviets
The Soviet force emerges from the East. An inexperienced Rifle squad, officer, and MMG team garrison the three-story building. In the street a ZIS-3 AT Gun positions itself, with Assault Engineers nearby for support.

In the South two squads of Airborne infantry advance through the wrecked city towards their objective, supported by an LMG team, Lt., sniper, and a veteran SMG squad. A T-70 light tank cautiously advances over the shattered ruin where once a building stood.

First Draw - Soviet Force Alpha
The MMG goes into AMBUSH. It's unlikely to see much in the darkness, however.

Next, an Airborne squad, led by a Senior Lt. RUN towards the Rail Station.

(Zuul, I wasn't clear what you wanted from your orders beyond wanting to get to the objective quickly so this is how I interpreted 'em)

Second Draw - German Group D
The Panzer II and Halftrack move into the fountain courtyard, unaware of the AT gun only yards away.

Third Draw - German Group E
The Panzergrenadiers and Halftrack move up behind the building.

(Was a little confused by your orders. Hopefully this was close to what you wanted)

Fourth Draw - Soviet Force Echo
The Assault Engineers, slowed by their body armor, run towards the fountain. Meanwhile the Inexperienced Rifle Squad is guided by the Captain into the abandoned workshop across the street.

Fifth Draw - Soviet Force Charlie
The T-70 goes into AMBUSH mode, but so far from the action, is unlikely to spot anything until dawn breaks.

The veteran SMG squad run out of the building towards the Rail Station.

Sixth Draw - Soviet Force Delta
The ZIS-3 gunner spots the silhouette of a tank in the darkness and opens fire. The shot goes wide and the muzzle blast illuminates the AT gun until its next action.

The other Airborne squad fall in next to their fellow paratroopers in their advance towards the Rail Station.

Seventh Draw - German Group B
The Pioneers run through the maze of the railyard to reach the backside of the Rail Station.

Eighth Draw - German Group C
The infantry gun crew push their gun between the oil tanks while the AT rifle team and infantry bring up the rear.

Ninth Draw - Soviet Force Bravo
The mortar spotter and Sniper team both go into AMBUSH.

The LMG squad joins the crowd heading for the objective.

Tenth Draw - German Group A
The infantry, HQ, and MMG advance through the railyard.

---

MAP OVERVIEW - END OF TURN 1

West

North

NorthEast

SouthEast

Team Rosters

Soviets
Force Alpha: Zuul the Cat
HQ - Senior Lt. with assistant (2 infantry - Veteran)
Medium Machine Gun - Has a gun-shield to protect the crew (3 crew - Regular)

Force Bravo: Tias
Sniper team - Sniper with spotter (2 infantry - Veteran)
Medium Mortar - Comes with spotter (4 crew - Regular)
LMG Squad - Squad with 1 LMG (10 infantry - Regular)

Force Charlie: thatbastardken
T-70 - Light tank with Light AT gun and coaxial MMG (1 tank - Regular)
Veteran Squad - Vet squad armed with SMGS (9 infantry - Veterans)

Force Delta: Hypnobeard
ZIS-3 AT Gun - Medium AT Gun that can also fire as a light howitzer (3 crew - Regular)

Force Echo: WhiskeyWhiskers
Captain - Boosts morale of nearby units (2 infantry - Regular)
Rifle Squad - All armed with rifles (12 infantry - Inexperienced)
Assault Engineers - 5 SMGs, 1 Flamethrower. Wearing body-armor. Nigh impossible to kill with small-arms. (8 infantry - Veterans)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Force Alpha: Zuul the Cat
HQ - Senior Lt. with assistant (2 infantry - Veteran) - RUN into the building with the Airborne.
Airborne Squad - Soviet paratroopers converted to an infantry role. They have Tough Fighters so they can score up to 2 kills each in close combat. Equipped with rifles and 1 LMG. (10 infantry - Veteran) - RUN into the building.
Medium Machine Gun - Has a gun-shield to protect the crew (3 crew - Regular) - Fire onto targets of opportunity.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm having a lot of trouble telling distance. But I think I want to ASSAULT the most eastern half-track with the inexperienced Rifle Squad. Else, if not possible (or the half-track has advanced) fire at it.

Assault Engineers ADVANCE into fountain and fire at westernmost half-track if possible. Else ADVANCE into fountain and fire at Panzer II.

Captain goes Down.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 7, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

By the way, in case you're wondering, yes you can take cover in the fountain if you want to.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Cool, just updated the orders.

e: It'd probably be a good idea if I went pretty early in the turn order. If the half-track advances before I assault it, my chances of getting hits drops by like 2/3rds. But the AT-Gun might take priority.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 7, 2020

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

happy to take last priority this turn, I want that pz2 to light up so I can shoot at it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Does being hit with a flamethrower provide illumination too? Or only if the vehicle catches on fire? Because you might not have to wait until it fires.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 7, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Basically moving, shooting, or being a vehicle makes you easier to see.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ah, the calm before the great, patriotic storm. Now what the gently caress do we do?

Going on just meta historical knowledge which may not apply, I think we have to hug them as close as we dare. Grenadiers are probably worth more man to man in a firefight than in a hand to hand, so let's just egg 'em with our trench spades and clubs.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I think that's a pretty solid plan. We have lots of veterans, tough fighters and SMGs, a big brawl in the center house plays to those strengths.

Veterans to RUN or ASSAULT into the southern building.

T-70 to ADVANCE to the knocked out half-track, facing NORTH. If possible fire on the PZ.II, other vehicle, or infantry in that order.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, I'd say it's time to Sharks and Jets this party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20myPs_-E1I

Force Delta
AT-Gun: FIRE at PzII or nearest half-track; AMBUSH if neither is visible.

VDV #2: RUN into train station.

Suggested activation order:

Echo (WhiskeyWhiskers)
Delta (Hypnobeard)
Alpha (Zuul the Cat)
Bravo (Tias)
Charlie (thatbastardken)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Order accepted.

Class Warcraft, am I doing the spotter/mortar dynamic correctly if I want to ambush Germans? I'm assuming that if both the spotter and the weapon are ambushing, one spotting a German will be able to let the other fire?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Tias posted:

Order accepted.

Class Warcraft, am I doing the spotter/mortar dynamic correctly if I want to ambush Germans? I'm assuming that if both the spotter and the weapon are ambushing, one spotting a German will be able to let the other fire?

The spotter and mortar are basically one unit that don’t have to maintain normal unit coherency, so they get a single order each turn. On ambush, If either of them see an enemy unit they can trigger the ambush.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Good. When do assaults take place? Is it accomplished just by advancing into a space occupied by an enemy unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tias posted:

Good. When do assaults take place? Is it accomplished just by advancing into a space occupied by an enemy unit?

Yeah, it's part of movement IIRC.