Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I would like another recommendation. A good fun game that isn't about being sad and doesn't require precise platforming, please
do you have a genre preference? some happy/pleasant/not-sad games...

puzzle: puzzle puppers, affinity, golf peaks, RYB
action/arcade: resistance is fruitile, bleed 1 & 2, destructivator 2, anarcute
not-demanding platformers: pikuniku, a short hike
slightly more demanding platformers: the floor is jelly, lasercat, halloween forever (this one wasn't to my taste but others like it)
adventure/story/VN: dr. langeskov, chook & sosig walk the plank, clam man,
miscellaneous: octodad (& dadliest catch), hidden paws, hidden folks, arigatou ningen-san, GNOG, futureGrind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gripweed posted:

I would like another recommendation. A good fun game that isn't about being sad and doesn't require precise platforming, please

Hidden Folks

Golf Peaks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

alright I'll go with Octodad

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’ve played through Speed Dating for Ghosts once and it’s the sweetest thing, I definitely recommend it and hope it doesn’t turn out to have a HORRIFYING DARK TWIST like most of these games seem to

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Action game I would defo recommend sky rogue. You get to fly around in a plane and blow poo poo up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drat daniel back at it again with the itch.io bundle

one-eyed lee and the dinner party is a visual novel/adventure game where you stumble into an underground skeleton cult and have to escape. it does have some inventory puzzles but it's made in renpy so it outlines the choices for you when they're available. it was alright, and definitely gay, and the creator has a lot of one piece yaoi on their itch.io page about sanji

chook and sosig walk the plank is a charming little point n click adventure with cute art and characters, set inside the fictional D&D pirate game the characters are playing as a framing device.

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1110. Games I'm Not Interested In: 166. Games Played and Not Nulled: 132/944 (14.0%). Games Beaten: 75/132 (56.8%). Games I Downloaded to Try: 167

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 13, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hello! Glad that there's a thread for this.

If you want a cool platformer, I recommend you check out Rising Dusk!
It describes itself as an anti-coin collecting game, which put me off at first, because it just sounds like a romhack level gimmick, but it's actually loving amazing.
It's a 16-bit Japanese mythos inspired platformer where your coin count affects the level. It has plenty of secrets, collectibles, and the levels are ALL unique and memorable.

That said, can people recommend me some platformers? I'd like something charming, even if it's hard as hell (Obviously I've played Celeste), and preferrably long enough to not be over in an hour.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vookatos posted:

That said, can people recommend me some platformers? I'd like something charming, even if it's hard as hell (Obviously I've played Celeste), and preferrably long enough to not be over in an hour.

The King's Bird has done me well so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vookatos posted:

Wandersong

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013

Vookatos posted:

Oh Jeez, Oh No, My Rabbits Are Gone!!! is clunky but cute and lasts ~4 hours.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Loot Rascals is fun.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Did anyone notice this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oAKZwCSxSY

Low budget space sim, sort of like single player EVE? Or maybe Star Citizen-lite, except this one actually came out? I dunno, but everyone should try it out!

It even seems to have good reviews on Steam, except for that one guy who mentions auto saving screwing up badly.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gumgem is a cute little 10 minute randomized celeste-like platformer with cute art. it's not that difficult, especially if you've played celeste.

miasma caves is like if you took the dungeon diving from my time at portia and made a whole game around it. there's more actual spelunking involved here, with enemies and dangers to avoid like cave-ins, but the general loop is similar, of finding artifacts, appraising them and selling them. there's also a little bit of town upgrading you can do when you have the money, which adds passive benefits. a bit unoptimized, especially in the town, which uses 100% of my 1050, obviously not a powerhouse card but the game has PS2 visuals so it's not like... doom eternal or something.

stardrop looks to be another walking sim set in space, this one seems a bit more optimistic and less spooky. it's also made in UE4 rather than unity, so i guess there really are walking sims not made in unity. a rare unicorn!!

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1110. Games I'm Not Interested In: 166. Games Played and Not Nulled: 135/944 (14.3%). Games Beaten: 78/135 (57.7%). Games I Downloaded to Try: 164

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really bummed I missed this bundle

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Loot Rascals is fun.

This kind of game isn't usually my jam but I really liked the novel way your cards interact with each other based on where in your inventory they are, adds a lot of room for variety without needing to add a bunch of extra systems.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the danger crew seems cute. it is a jrpg where you are a nobody programmer, and you do battle with other programmers via laptop battles. aesthetic is cute, battles are relatively simple but fun, and you can access a shop from the menu at any time. main drawback for me is lack of native controller support

forever lost was a garbage escape room game that i played all the way to the end because i am garbage. it's the kind of game that retsupurae would make fun of. there are two more of these in the bundle.

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1110. Games I'm Not Interested In: 166. Games Played and Not Nulled: 137/944 (14.5%). Games Beaten: 79/137 (57.7%). Games I Downloaded to Try: 162

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

forever lost was a garbage escape room game that i played all the way to the end because i am garbage. it's the kind of game that retsupurae would make fun of. there are two more of these in the bundle.

Decided to search for it to see if I've played it, and I love how the thumbnail for Episode 2 is just some lovely container with FEAR written on it in presumably blood.
Enviromental storytelling at its finest.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well.. they can't all be winners:

forever lost 2 was better than the first but still escape room garbage. maybe i'm spoiled by Rusty Lake but most escape room games are just bad point n click games with creepypasta. i actually tend to like hidden object games more because their stories are trashy in the most amazing ways, whereas escape room games are basically 'can't sleep clowns will eat me' storytelling

broken minds was a bit disappointing. a murder mystery VN with minigames for deducing the truth, but it's very amateurish in its writing, wants you to like these QUIRKY detective characters that are annoying as gently caress, and it wants you to break down people's arguments by pointing out fallacies, but then has you proposing fallacies yourself

the recipe of madness is a first person horror game that's not very spooky and is very generic. people need to just start lighting their homes. how about a game where you enter a house that has poor horror lighting and you go through the house lighting it up and giving it fun decor and making it cute. is that what house flipper is???

the search is a myst-style game where a character pontificates about philosophy while you click around painting photographs that you walk through like wile e coyote. it's just OK.

rex: another island okay now we have a cute game. this is a nice little hour-long platformer in a giant map with lots of areas collecting all the coins. much like in celeste there's a mountain you climb, and also like celeste you are a dinosaur, and you go past the mountain and find an airship

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1110. Games I'm Not Interested In: 166. Games Played and Not Nulled: 142/944 (15.0%). Games Beaten: 84/142 (59.2%). Games I Downloaded to Try: 157

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 17, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Some stuff I've enjoyed.
Obviously there's thread favorites such as Jimmy and The Pulsating Mass, Minit, Celeste, A Short Hike, Night In The Woods, but I want to focus on something that hasn't been mentioned that much.

Crystal Towers 2 seems like an alright platformer, a sort of a love letter to both Sonic and Mario 64. For some reason it runs in slow-mo for me, but maybe it won't be like that for other people who are interested in this sorta thing.

Pillars of Dust and MythBearer are small fast-paced RPGs that are more about collecting secrets, rather than just fighting

Super Rad Raygun is a Mega Man-like platformer with a Game Boy presentation. Set in 198X, it parodies action movies of that era and red scare. Lots of collectibles, pretty fun and funny.

Knightmare Tower and Woodland Chaser are both little grindy arcade games. You make some progress, game saves your exp/money, you use it to buy stuff to progress more. Simple, but alright if you just wanna waste some time.

Tamashii is a cool puzzle-platformer so far. Very satanic atmosphere, lots of spooks. Be warned, contains bright flashes and a few "jumpscares" (quotes are here because they weren't really effective so far)

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 17, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I experienced the slo-mo on my potato laptop too, it ran better on my work laptop but crystal towers 2 seems like a game that shouldn't be all that demanding???

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yeah, I've seen you mention it in the thread before. My PC is pretty good, and the steam page has VERY low requirements. Trailer shows that it's pretty much Sonic-speed, so I wonder if it's itch version issues

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The 7th Guest posted:

I experienced the slo-mo on my potato laptop too, it ran better on my work laptop but crystal towers 2 seems like a game that shouldn't be all that demanding???

I suspect a lot of these aren't super optimized.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

To our reviewers: keep 'em coming, there's no way I have the time to even read 1700 titles of games, let alone figure out what half of them are about. I've added a least 4 or 5 titles to my backlog that would have been even more ignored had I not read about them in this thread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

To our reviewers: keep 'em coming, there's no way I have the time to even read 1700 titles of games, let alone figure out what half of them are about. I've added a least 4 or 5 titles to my backlog that would have been even more ignored had I not read about them in this thread.
Yeah I'll keep playing them. A lot of games are beatable in an hour or less so it's pretty easy to knock out a couple a day. especially the horror stuff, all of that is basically half-hour/1 hour experiences.

the longer stuff is all the visual novels and i'm holding off on those for now

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

SeXReX posted:

This kind of game isn't usually my jam but I really liked the novel way your cards interact with each other based on where in your inventory they are, adds a lot of room for variety without needing to add a bunch of extra systems.

Is the connection stuff that the game seems to imply was supposed to be there completely unusable? I tried logging in via facebook and google both and neither worked.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 17, 2020

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Catlateral Damage is an ok arcadey game. Tries to go for Katamari feel, but doesn't really succeed. You're a cat, knock some poo poo over. Not bad for like an hour, but there's not enough to it, and it's pretty wonky.

Headliner: NoviNews OK, this one is pretty good! A sort of a Papers, Please game where you choose what news stories to publish and walk around town every day to see what changed. Worth two playthroughs, after which it'll probably get repetitive.

A Hole New World is alright. 8-bit platformer with some charm, but pretty lovely level design. The main gimmick isn't good enough to carry the whole game, and it just likes to surround you with enemies.

Long Gone Days seems like a pretty neat RPG where you play as a teen soldier. Not sure how I feel about the main mechanic in battle being your chance to hit someone, as it makes battles a bit drawn out, but the presentation and the dialogue based on like first three hours was intriguing.

Cecconoid is a twin-stick shooter that reminds me of Metroid. Go around a big maze, collect secrets and try not to die, because your lives are limited. Hard as hell, but addictive! Also contains a survival arcade mode.

Witch Thief seems like it's touhou but 3D. I don't care for touhou, so I can't say if it's good or has some glaring issues, but it looks nice, and is pretty satisfying.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I put about half an hour into helium rain today

It looks good, like elite dangerous and rebel galaxy had a love child

I'll give it a few more hours and report back

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Wretched is a single player storytelling TTRPG about being lost in space, with your whole crew dead, while a creature is stuck outside your ship, stalking you. Roll a dice, draw as many cards as stated in your dice, and follow the instructions pertaining to the cards you drew. Then record your audio log for that day. "Day 3. Salvage ship The Wretched. This is Flight Engineer _______ reporting..."

Often, the instructions will include the prompt remove a block, as in a block from a Jenga tower that you have; if it crashes, your ship suffers catastrophic damage and you don't make it. The game can be played without a Jenga board of any kind, but there's an online clone that works well enough, though finicky with a mouse.

It's a great way to spend an hour or two telling a story to yourself. There's a sense of isolation and despair as the game prompts you. Maybe your water purification system is damaged and it tastes of ammonia, how does that sound like? Maybe you're trying to remember what land is like. Maybe you're watching the intruder on the hull of your ship, trying to get in...

Recommended if you enjoy improv storytelling and a bleak atmosphere.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm working on a longer review post, but before then, I want to ask: what's with the general indie game fixation on preventing save scumming?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i have no idea what you mean, is this based on a specific game you played

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mycot posted:

I'm working on a longer review post, but before then, I want to ask: what's with the general indie game fixation on preventing save scumming?

Git gud

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

Loot Rascals is fun.

It's kind of amazing how hard it seems to have flopped given that it had a decent amount of prerelease hype/advertising for an indie.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

mycot posted:

There are few things going on with the dynamic

As I understand it ,some games often want you to perform perfectly "Triple S Rank" and all that poo poo. So a lot of people only ever want to play a game perfectly

However a lot of games put in content that only works if things cascade and it's all about controlling that cascade in a constant improvisational manner, which may be more "fun" than a perfectly played game

The ability to save scum allows you to reset any mistakes you make and not engage with the meat of the game, so developers may make the executive decision to not put in quick save and load function

These things being in opposition to each other is where a bit of conceptual friction may occur

Some games manage a balance with these dynamics , some of the metal gear games for example. But given that indie development is more "focused" , performing this balancing act effectively doubles the workload for a small studio.

People may have strong opinions about how a game is and what makes it fun may complain about a game not allowing their preferred play style and you start getting into arguments about "playing the game wrong" very quickly.

I think that's what you are asking if not, disregard

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

flatluigi posted:

i have no idea what you mean, is this based on a specific game you played

Full disclosure that post was after losing a floor of progress in Fortune 499 from accidentally aggroing the wrong enemy when I already knew what the solution to the puzzle was.

The only game so far where limited saving kinda made sense was Signs of the Sojourner because the way progression works in that game means you couldn't really win from a save just a town away, anyway.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 19, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It might just be that it's easier to not have to include a savegame management system, and autosaving is expected in games in general, so you end up with this anti-savescum paradigm just as a result of those things rather than a deliberate choice.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Has there been any update on them adding an "Add All" button to the bundle? I know they have the note on the bundle saying they're aware of the desire, but that's been there since close to the release of the bundle.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I know they did promise the add all button, but honestly I don't miss it -- the search function in the download page was all I ever needed (and they added that quickly). If I want to try something, I just go there, hit the search box, click download and I'm quickly playing it (assuming a non-lovely installer and a working game).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Whether they have add-all or not, it's functionally the same for me: browse through dozens of games, pick one out, try it...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I played a bunch of dumb poo poo...

Hotel Paradise is just you trying to find your hotel room. That's the whole game. It takes 8-15 minutes. ART

Hollow Head is a PS1-style first person horror game... it has a really bad end section where you have to close up some pipes while an enemy roams around, it has a random path and can pretty much kill you from turning a corner, and then you have to do the section all over again. gently caress off

Forever Lost 3 and Veritas are more escape room bullshit from the same company. i just keep playing these things, i dunno why. they're not good.

Jam and the Mystery of the Mysteriously Spooky Mansion was cute at least. it's a "reverse whodunnit" where you have the 'culprit' tied up and you now have to go around the house trying to find out just what crime he actually did. you can select two different pieces of evidence to create a unique deduction, each of which has its own ending. will probably take you 30-45 minutes to go through

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1110. Games I'm Not Interested In: 166. Games Played and Not Nulled: 147/944 (15.6%). Games Beaten: 89/147 (60.5%). Games I Downloaded to Try: 152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I was expecting Democratic Socialism Simulator to be little more than a Reigns clone with good politics. And while it certainly is that, the simple addition of choices whose consequences are only seen later on does a lot to improve the formula. I made immigration easy and all those new immigrants got taxed, and my budget skyrocketed! It was fun, but after a couple of runs I don't expect I'll play it much more.