Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/pesnrcool/status/1288949385208922118

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow this is really helpful, thanks for sharing the link.

I'm still randomly grabbing games and trying them out.

Noise1

This is a terminal style game where you type commands to interact with different parts of the level. The commands start off simple, then get more complex and timing-based as you go along. Really clever use of unicode characters to represent objects and entities. Has a surprisingly emotional story.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A youtube guy I like just did a selection of short reviews from the bundle. There's some cool recommendations in here, staying away from the bigger names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjk6PRoxNN8

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

...the popup about knowing that people wanted a way to add everything to their library has disappeared, and yet I see no option to add everything to the library. I suspect they gave up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

...the popup about knowing that people wanted a way to add everything to their library has disappeared, and yet I see no option to add everything to the library. I suspect they gave up.

There might be some sort of back end issue with adding 1400+ items to a profile all at once, especially if a bunch of people try and do it at the same time.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Hive Time
https://cheeseness.itch.io/hive-time

this did not grab me but it looks cute.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Philman posted:

Hive Time
https://cheeseness.itch.io/hive-time

this did not grab me but it looks cute.

This is honestly excellent. A super chill sort of sim-beehive, and you can tailor options to be even more chill (to avoid like, the bear attacking event and such).

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Skwirl posted:

There might be some sort of back end issue with adding 1400+ items to a profile all at once, especially if a bunch of people try and do it at the same time.

Yeah, but even an "Add all items on the current page" button would help make it somewhat manageable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not having all those games in my library makes it seem like I just bought a whole game store, and in order to get a new game I have to go into the store and find it.

I also feel like there's probably a game on itch.io where you just bought a game store and go walking through it picking out made-up games.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
The Random Bundle Game gave me Plunge, which is a roguelike puzzle game where you traverse a randomized board with enemies, traps, and bonuses (the movement gimmick is that you slide in a direction until you hit a wall or an enemy). Each level only takes a minute, and the randomization leans towards quick and easy, so the game isn't very hard. The art style is cool and animations/movement/sound effects are slick and chunky. It plays really nice.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I know there are some game-making assets in the bundle, but is there anything to make maps?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I found Hex Kit (a hex map creator with a bunch of tilesets) and Space Station Architect through the Game Making Assets in this setup just going by likely names.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Impressions of games I've played:

Puzlogic: A puzzle game mixing elements of Sudoku and Hexcells-type games. Recommended if you're into this general kind of 'complete the pattern/fill in the tiles with numbers' puzzle. There are a number of mechanics (different types of constraints, effectively), which are introduced gradually enough for things to not be overwhelming. Note that the first few levels are pure tutorial, and it takes a little while to really get going. The last dozen or so puzzles are pretty involved, although I wouldn't say anything is particularly devious.

Spring Falls: A chill puzzle game. You choose where to erode to make water flow downhill. Generally you only have a few possible moves at any given point so even the larger levels are not too hard per se. 60 levels, enough to explore the concept without wearing out its welcome.

A Short Hike: Low-fi 3D adventure game with a surprising amount of detail and content to explore. The isometric view sometimes gets a little in the way but generally. Probably not terribly long if you beeline for golden feathers then the summit, but I think this game is best if you can take the time to soak things in. No particular minigame is required: I skipped fishing, for example. Recommended and very charming.

Wide Ocean, Big Jacket: Walking-simulator narrative game about an overnight camping trip. Recommended on account of the writing, I thought all of the four main characters got time to shine even though it's fairly short overall (a dozen scenes or so).

Far From Noise: Narrative game about being stuck in your car teetering on the edge of a cliff. You get to make dialogue choices but they won't change the overall story. I guess I just powered through it kind of quickly but it's got some good exploration of loneliness and meaning.

Sagebrush: Low-fi 3d walking-simulator game about exploring a deserted cult compound in New Mexico. Light puzzle elements, with nothing particularly hard. At any given point in there's only a couple of chains you can do at a time; I missed something and struck retracing my steps aimlessly for a while. It does a good job of setting up a oppressive atmosphere. Content warning for some seriously messed up poo poo.

OneShot: The story of a child waking up in an unfamiliar world. Mechanically plays as adventure-game type puzzles with a couple of twists, but the heart of the game is exploring the world and learning about its inhabitants. Relatively large as far as games in this bundle go, but that's not saying much.

A Mortician's Tale: You follow a newly-appointed mortician. The core loop of preparing corpses does not vary much from one case to another (and while set up like a minigame, you are given clear instructions at each step). The meat of the game is instead interacting with the families as they manage their grief and interpret the deceased's wishes. I didn't hate it, but I felt the capitalism ruins everything part was a bit hamfisted.

The White Door: Puzzle game about running through the daily routine of a man institutionalized after recent trauma. Still don't know what I really think of this one, it's quite surreal at parts, so it's probably worth trying if you are into that sort of thing.

Vignettes: Puzzle game where the main mechanic is transforming objects through rotating them as a trick of perspective. Presentation is nicely stylized but it's not terribly deep.

You used to be someone: Walking simulator game about grappling with depression. Didn't really do it for me.

Wakamarina, New Zealand: I feel that this is more a tech demo than a game. You walk around a very pretty area. My graphics card is not powerful so I had either framerate or pop-in issues, but I expect on a higher-end rig this would be spectacular. Has light gameplay elements in the form of getting a camera and having to reproduce certain pictures by finding the right vantage point. Looks like it's also a VR title.

Speed Dating for Ghosts: Dating sim about the afterlife. Each ghost you meet is basically its own short story (no exclusive choices, basically), with an bonus epilogue chapter after you finish the base game. Generally lighthearted.

Luna: Light puzzle game. The art direction is pretty but it doesn't do much with it imo. Gameplay is very light-to-nonexistent puzzles. I can't really recommend.

The Supper: Very short and grisly point-and-click adventure in the general LucasArts style.

Time Stone: Very short point-and-click adventure. I felt kinda stuck but the scope is small enough that I basically brute forced past it.

Milkmaid of the Milky Way: Old-school point-and-click adventure style (roughly kings quest 1-4 in terms of pixelation/resolution). All the text has a rhyming gimmick that I did not care for one bit. A couple of the puzzles felt old-school obtuse to me as well. Not bad but I feel ambivalent overall. Not long but certainly the longest game of this type I've seen in this bundle.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know there are some game-making assets in the bundle, but is there anything to make maps?

https://randombundlegame.com/browse?tags=Tileset&categories=Assets

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FreeKillB posted:

Sagebrush: Low-fi 3d walking-simulator game about exploring a deserted cult compound in New Mexico. Light puzzle elements, with nothing particularly hard. At any given point in there's only a couple of chains you can do at a time; I missed something and struck retracing my steps aimlessly for a while. It does a good job of setting up a oppressive atmosphere. Content warning for some seriously messed up poo poo.

Sage brush did some cool poo poo
Really landed the transition to vignette style walk through scenes in a way most walking Sims fail at the Lofi visuals really added to the experience too

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Here we go!!!

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

A Short Hike
This was great. It reminded me of mario 64. It was also very relaxing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kingdom Ka was a good hour long adventure game/walking sim. It has a nice style to it. Play it in one sitting. Just make sure to say no to drugs

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I played The Enigma Machine for Halloween. It's not particularly scary, but atmospheric with a couple nice twists and uses a good combination of PlayStation 1 graphics with fancy effects.

It's a short play-through too (less than an hour) unless you get stuck on a few tricky spots:

level 2: a noisy audio clue that sounds like letters is actually numbers
level 3: you need to look towards the ceiling for about ten seconds to find the clue in one visual section
level 4: you can't just run by all of them, but they aren't invulnerable

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It is happening again. It is happening again.

Itch.io Indie bundle for Palestinian Aid; 1,019+ DRM-free items for a minimum donation of $5, all profits go to UNRWA.

I guess this is an annual thing now? I haven't spotted much in the way of huge headliners yet but most of those weren't added until a few days in last time either. I imagine that for most people who got or missed last year's bundle this one will be an easy decision; there does seem to be a bit of overlap with last time but most of what I see scrolling down seems new.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

I guess this is an annual thing now?

Not really, unlike last year's bundle it's not a bundle from itch.io itself, but a bundle organized by an indie dev that got a lot of traction on social media. Still definitely worth taking a look at, though.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

NRVNQSR posted:

It is happening again. It is happening again.

Itch.io Indie bundle for Palestinian Aid; 1,019+ DRM-free items for a minimum donation of $5, all profits go to UNRWA.

I guess this is an annual thing now? I haven't spotted much in the way of huge headliners yet but most of those weren't added until a few days in last time either. I imagine that for most people who got or missed last year's bundle this one will be an easy decision; there does seem to be a bit of overlap with last time but most of what I see scrolling down seems new.

The reddit thread has a comment with a sorted list based on Steam rating. Some good stuff there that's been on my wishlist for a while.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I already found a game I wanted to play, which wasn't part of the old bundle.
Mini Metro, it had been getting good reviews in the management games thread. https://dinopoloclub.itch.io/minimetro

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://randombundlegame.com/browse?bundles=pb

Ignis posted:

Not really, unlike last year's bundle it's not a bundle from itch.io itself, but a bundle organized by an indie dev that got a lot of traction on social media. Still definitely worth taking a look at, though.

I feel that dev took too long to go from idea to execution, the launch had multiple delays, so it lost some of that traction. People are still catching up it exists and it only has 5 days left. It's going to need a lot of hype to get even close to the BLM bundle in numbers.

It's still doing well though.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 6, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

VictualSquid posted:

I already found a game I wanted to play, which wasn't part of the old bundle.
Mini Metro, it had been getting good reviews in the management games thread. https://dinopoloclub.itch.io/minimetro

Mini Metro is stupidly fun if you are into that sort of thing even just a bit. It's easy to understand, addictive to master its systems, and a chill enough game just to spend an hour every once in a while.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

There's a lot more in here that I've heard of, or am intrigued by on reading the short description. A definite insta-buy, pity it isn't taking off like the last one.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah the other bundle probably had more traction because itch was sponsoring it directly. Some rando's indie dev with 3k followers on twitter can only reach out to so many people, sadly

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ignis posted:

Yeah the other bundle probably had more traction because itch was sponsoring it directly. Some rando's indie dev with 3k followers on twitter can only reach out to so many people, sadly

It doesn't help that the topic is a lot more contentious (don't read the reddit threads about the bundle) so there's no way it's going to get the same media coverage.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

They got my 5bux, thanks for linking it. Already found a few good Troika! things in there i'll be happy to torture my friends with.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

It also helped that the previous bundle came out in the very depths of the quarantine, when most of us were stuck in our homes, and they suddenly gave us a way we could do something, both for our selves and for a huge problem. People are able to be a bit more complacent now, unfortunately.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh dang, Calico is in this one. I wanted to try that one, so this is worth it for that alone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It might not have the traction of last year's Racial Justice Bundle, but $356,131 is nothing to be ashamed of, and there's more than five days left (as of this post).

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Too tired to do it tonight but I'll update the OP with some of the best picks exclusive to the new bundle and such eventually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Too tired to do it tonight but I'll update the OP with some of the best picks exclusive to the new bundle and such eventually.

I have both, but I'd still put good poo poo from the Black Lives Matter bundle that's also in there because there's some people who only got this one and given the volume of stuff in both bundles, there's probably stuff people would like that are in both but didn't notice the first time around.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yep, there's some overlap and I've already found some stuff that looks cool in this one that it's turned out was also in the BLM bundle but I missed at the time.

Such as GNOG.

I'm keeping an eye on the submissions thread and one that's been submitted but not added to the bundle yet that I need in my life as soon as possible is Word Forward.

Also not in the bundle yet, but Hempuli has submitted Baba is You to it, so that's cool.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It looks like there are some games I've actually heard of here like Nuclear Throne and They Bleed Pixels.

So far the only game I've actually picked to play is Luck be a Landlord in which you fill the reels of a slot machine with interacting symbols to try to pay your ever increasing rent. A weird and fun twist on a deck builder.

The first bundle was worth it just for Vision:Soft Reset and I've already gotten my $5 worth from this game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Apparently the reason why the bundle had so many delays (and why they haven't released the new batch of games) is because they downloaded and tested every game to check it wasn't malicious, promoted war or was nsfw. Which is... admirable, in a sense, but I wish they had just trusted the developers and released it sooner. The other bundle had to delete some stuff but people could still buy it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://lofiworlds.itch.io/study

Big recommendation to this thing, I'm playing it now and it's incredibly chill and pretty. I can just feel my brain trying to relax and meditate, which is so helpful as I'm frazzled today.

quote:

Welcome to a bunch of chill 3D worlds full of unique study spots with Lofi Hip Hop music and ASMR sounds.

You can explore them to relax while you take a break from studying.

When it's time to study again, you can set a timer and put these worlds in the background. To help you focus, they will continue to provide relaxing sounds and beats with no ads.

In these worlds, nothing is trying to hurt you. You don't need to fight anything to win. You set your own goals, and you can customize your own soundscape to help you meet them.

We are providing this version of the software on a pay-what-you can basis to support students and teachers engaged in remote learning during the pandemic. Some players have compared it to the "fidget toys" they have on their desks to provide sensory breaks during long work sessions.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

New bundle, new bugs for me to find that might have been there all along but weren't found previously!

If you hit the ... in the page select, and hit OK without entering a number, hitting OK after entering 0, or just hitting Cancel, you get an empty page showing "Showing -23 - 0 of 2524 items" (which to me all seems to imply it's sending you to page zero). It's also entirely possible to input a number larger than there's pages and it sends you to that page, so inputting 200 gives you a blank page with "Showing 4777 - 2524 of 2524 items".

Also, just wondering, any reason there's 24 items per page instead of 25? Just that one empty spot preventing each page from being a perfect 5x5 square that keeps bothering me, haha.

Still appreciate the page so much, thanks a lot for your work on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

If you hit the ... in the page select, and hit OK without entering a number, hitting OK after entering 0, or just hitting Cancel, you get an empty page showing "Showing -23 - 0 of 2524 items" (which to me all seems to imply it's sending you to page zero). It's also entirely possible to input a number larger than there's pages and it sends you to that page, so inputting 200 gives you a blank page with "Showing 4777 - 2524 of 2524 items".

Whoops. I'll take a look and add some validation to that input.

KennyMan666 posted:

Also, just wondering, any reason there's 24 items per page instead of 25? Just that one empty spot preventing each page from being a perfect 5x5 square that keeps bothering me, haha.

I don't remember my original reasoning but I think it's mostly because every other breakpoint has a number of columns divisible by 2 or 3. I probably added the five-column one as an afterthought after deciding the columns looked too wide in desktop.

KennyMan666 posted:

Still appreciate the page so much, thanks a lot for your work on it!
Thanks for the bug reports!

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 8, 2021