Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Seriously thanks to this bundle I'm able to go through my steam wishlist and remove items because I have them now. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh hey

Voyageur! I own this on mobile, it's a great little text adventure - you're a starship pilot descending in the galaxy visiting all kinds of procedurally generated planets and society. There's some really good writing in here, and it's worth at least one or two runs. Also the trading mechanic is fun!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowman posted:

This bundle is overwhelming good lord. I wish there was a way to sort via steam keys since I don't use itch.io. There also needs to be a genre search.

What do you mean, sort via steam keys? There are no steam keys in the bundle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Another note in case anyone missed it: you do not need to download the itch.io client to play the games. There is no DRM. Just download the game directly and play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Look at this!

I didn't even know I wanted this! And now I have it!

holy poo poo that's been on my amazon wishlist for literally years as I'd waffle over wanting to own a physical copy vs cost

and now I have it! as a pdf! :toot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Just by buying the bundle I've gotten two emailed updates to Mutiny Island, which was neat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just played the first game in the east van EP from the bundle, which is a collection of three games by one maker. It's called Oracle and:

quote:

Its about being an oracle. I know riiiiiiight. Procedurally Generated Surreal Visions! Prophecies! Ancient Transcendent Horrors! Networks of Signification!

You sit at a campfire in the first person pov. You can only look at the campfire and the surrounding area. The music is eerie. Eventually words float above the flame - someone beseeching you for a vision. You drink, and in seven flashes you see - visions. They are strange, and fleeting. Then you choose three keywords about the vision, which you tell to the person. Soon another one comes. Nothing is explained. Everything is visions. I haven't played for long enough to see if there's more, but I will. It's a haunting small experience.

Also the cover art is baller:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Here's another weirdie: The Tower: The Order of XII

It's a puzzle game! It has surprisingly fancy graphics and a story with cool art, but the gameplay is:

You can only move in the cardinal directions. You cannot stop your momentum. You soar through the caves and try to find the path that doesn't end with you sailing into the evil bubbles. I like it but wow I was expecting an action game or something with the story.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

That just sounds like an entire game of those terrible ice block puzzles that were everywhere in late 90s/early 2000s RPGs.

That's exactly what it is, and it's hilarious to me. I'm enjoying it.

But I'm also on the hunt to play more weird stuff so:

And All Would Cry Beware!

Stealing a screenshot from the itch page:

It's a FPS with a psychadelic lo-fi atmosphere, minimal story, and checkpoints!

quote:

And All Would Cry Beware is a old-school-style fast-paced FPS with a Metroidvania structure. Explore a connected world, discover what became of the Lost Expedition. Find new guns which will allow you to reach new areas. Weave through enemy projectiles and take on fearsome bosses.

e: I should probably have more to say about it but it controls fine and I'm having too much fun jumping from title to title to put time into it. I put its folder into another folder called "games" so I'll play it later.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Morfosi

Today I learned that I cannot handle top-down stealth, especially when the monster makes this GRINDING noise when it spots you. It's top-down in the style of zelda. You're in a mansion, your friend is screaming, and everything is horrible. I'm curious enough to see if there's an LP of it but too much of a weenie to play it myself. No picture because I was too busy freaking out to take a screenshot.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Overland might be my favorite thing in the bundle so far. It's XCOM's two actions per turn tactical combat but instead of fighting the monsters you avoid them. It's survival themed, with tiny maps. Here are three examples:

- one map we heard someone was trapped here, and arrived and found a dog trapped by some rubble. moved the rubble, invited the dog to join up, and drove off
- had to clear a barricade. no way to clear the road or monsters, so we had to siphon fuel and hurry past the monsters into another car, fuel it up and leave
- ruined gas station. when we arrived a generator was burning and it exploded, but we grabbed a fuel can and left

Short encounters. You can move stuff around, throw a rock if you find it, and other stuff. If you stand next to a monster it will hurt you and remove an action point. You drive from point to point, going west. You need fuel, or else you can't drive.

It's super compelling, atmospheric with minimal writing, and you can pet the dog. This is a niche I didn't know I needed. I'll probably complain about how difficult it gets as I go on but eh, enjoying it now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ungrounded - adorable little 5-10 minute game that you can beat(!)

Idea is, you fell from the sun and now you need to grab seeds and grow fractal trees to get back up to it. You can go ghost to clip through trees so you never get stuck. It's pretty and cool looking and I enjoyed it. No pictures because the page itself has the best ones.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I was trying to figure out how to explain Unobelisk, my current favorite thing from the bundle, because it's SO weird. Like I think it was made with rpgmaker but it has such a unique style and everything that it's like. That's insufficient.

Then I watched the trailer and aha yep here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZCdi5hgdA

quote:

Unobelisk is a solo turn based, exploration game focused on resource management and puzzle solving.

With level design inspired by classic Resident Evil games and Metroidvanias, puts the player in the logic circuits of Uno, exploring an obelisk-shaped space station for a path to the top of the structure, where a way out is promised.

The not exactly linear progression of the game is blocked by a number of riddles, passwords, keys and the mysterious threat of the primordial ghosts, along with your own Subject brothers and even the 4 scientists themselves.

On the other hand, optional puzzle solving and exploration are rewarded with upgrade modules, that grants better ammo capacity, maximum health boost, greater evasive perfomance or stronger offensive capabilities.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

As I go to bed I realize I have hosed up: I forgot to track which games I've played and deleted. Tomorrow I'll have to check things manually and probably make a spreadsheet for myself. :doh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You really don't want to download everything at once. A lot of games provide win/mac/linux builds in the download page separately and that'd be stupid to download all of them. Not to mention that some of the games are actually kind of chonky, with multiple gigs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

I'm putting together a couple of lists, but I was I so excited by this game I just have to share it now.

Annwn: The Underworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcmS8eau3Ik

How tough is it? I suck at stealth.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

It's more 'avoid the search light' since both you and the watcher are both stationary, but you are able to create and teleport to totems.

Same basic ideas, yes. which is why I was excited, no one has tried to expand on that formula since 1998's Sentinel Returns. (which had music by John Carpenter)

Ah sweet, and it's only 100mb yeah I can grab that and give it a spin soon.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zereth posted:

Are there any good RPGs in the bundle besides Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass which I've heard is, uh.... not exactly a lighthearted fun time?

Nothing on the same level but look at these:

Possession
Legend of the Lost Dragons
Last Word
Flamberge
Hero Generations
Emberlight
Dawndusk Dream Sewer
To Be A Herpwitch
Pillars of Dust
Catacombs Demon War
Sorbetta Gravely in Debt

It makes some sense that there aren't a lot of indie rpgs in this bundle as I think most of them are over in the rpgmaker scene

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hidden Folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

this is the best bundle while i'm isolated at home with just a non-gaming laptop, but holy heck this list is gigantic and I've never heard of most of them. I think I am going to go through and play arbitrary games and write short reviews :shrug:

hell yeah, post 'em here. I want to hear everyone's opinions of the games in this bundle, even if we get like 100 reviews of hidden folks or something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Is there a way to see what new games are being added?

As of this moment, no. The best you can get is by checking https://twitter.com/itchio because sometimes they mention new stuff in the bundle. It's really incomplete tho.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think the things holding itch back from the success of steam/other storefronts is that itch will continue to be a thing by indies for indies, its launcher will never strive to have the kind of stuff steam's has in it, and the no-drm thing will probably keep big companies off of it. Plus, y'know, it's not entrenched in anything bigger that would continue to push it, like the cellphone stores are.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Oh hey I ran into a game I've heard of, Steam Marines is a solid turn based tactical strategy game with a WH40k-derivative setting. Nothing to write home about but I enjoyed it when I played it, the class designs were cool.

Steam Marines 2 is also in the bundle

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Even if you're not into tabletop rpgs, I recommend looking at Dragonhearts. It's a short pdf outline for a 3-4 hour game about being a shapeshifting dragon attending a giant festival that ends with the cyclic destiny of dragonkind being changed by a destined dragon. It's written to be inclusive and emotional and have a lot of evocative imagery, and I imagine it's the kind of thing you could only play with a really specific kind of group.

But reading it feels really good and I like how it presents ideas and a format for various game scenes, and to that end I suggest you read it. One of the dragon factions are "void dragons" who left earth, went to space and had weird adventures, and who have now come home. It's cool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I'm gonna get dogpiled for this but I bounced hard off bastion almost instantly because I couldn't stand that loser who wouldn't shut up about every time I walked down a hallway or touched an urn. Does Pyre have that?

I don't recall Pyre having a lot of that kind of narration, no

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

Hi! I'm the developer of Village Monsters which is a cozy life-sim game in the vein of Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley. You play as the sole human living in a community of monsters

Village Monsters is technically not released yet (it's in Early Access), so I'm constantly adding new content and features. Version 1.0 should be out sometime this fall.

I actually felt some trepidation when I first submitted to this bundle (and back then it was like 100 titles!!) because VM is my first game and I'm trying to start a career as a solo indie dev. It's not exactly good business sense to give away your game before it's even released, yeah? But the groups its raising money for are so urgently needed, and after seeing the bundle's success I feel insanely lucky that I could be a tiny part of something so awesome and historic.

Anywho, you have a bajillion games to play now, but please give my dumb little Village Monsters a shot sometime!

As a kickstarter backer of this project, I can confirm that WarpDogs has been good at kickstarting: good clear updates, plenty of updates, and I'm looking forward to 1.0 so I can play the game proper. Please check it out - or at least keep an eye on it as it gets closer to a full release!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

*opens bookmarks folder containing youtube stuff I want to watch, deletes that bookmark*

Seriously thank you I didn't know the sexual assault roleplay guy was the same as the ironsworn player. I want to get into Ironsworn but not with someone like that. Got any recs?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Catalina posted:

ETA: Also, please send help: I've played 30 minutes of Village Monsters, and I'm afraid it might end up being love at first sight. It's definitely a game that is My Thing and I could end up buying it on Steam to support the Dev, and recommending/gifting to my friends who love Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley.

As someone who kickstarted it: hell yeah, glad to hear it's coming along nicely! I'm not going to help, the guy has run an extremely competent kickstarter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Or as I call it, fantasy for people who are too pretentious to admit they enjoy genre fiction.

As someone who reads a lot of stuff from genre fiction to "actual" "real" "fiction", magical realism is a legit genre that behaves very differently from regular genre work. It aims for different themes and story beats and is a legit thing, so you can gently caress off with this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Spirits of Xanadu is a nice little homage to one of my favorite Looking Glass games. Or a ripoff if you don't like it. One thing that's nice is that if you get tired of the combat, just switch it to 'peaceful' at any time and just get the game over with, without interference.

*runs to put this on my wishlist before remembering what thread I'm in*

I love owning things I didn't know I had

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Incelshok Na posted:

What are some of the best games without sound? My domestic life makes playing games with sound very challenging.

They aren't in the itch.io bundle sadly, but EVERY Choice Of game is without sound. They're all cool interactive fiction stories and you should check them out. Heart's Choice has a good sample, and Hosted Games has a billion of them. I personally recommend Heart of the House and A Player's Heart.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://lofiworlds.itch.io/study

Big recommendation to this thing, I'm playing it now and it's incredibly chill and pretty. I can just feel my brain trying to relax and meditate, which is so helpful as I'm frazzled today.

quote:

Welcome to a bunch of chill 3D worlds full of unique study spots with Lofi Hip Hop music and ASMR sounds.

You can explore them to relax while you take a break from studying.

When it's time to study again, you can set a timer and put these worlds in the background. To help you focus, they will continue to provide relaxing sounds and beats with no ads.

In these worlds, nothing is trying to hurt you. You don't need to fight anything to win. You set your own goals, and you can customize your own soundscape to help you meet them.

We are providing this version of the software on a pay-what-you can basis to support students and teachers engaged in remote learning during the pandemic. Some players have compared it to the "fidget toys" they have on their desks to provide sensory breaks during long work sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mix. posted:

I was wondering why no new games had been added since the bundle went live, but if theyre checking everything that tracks. Gave me a chance to really dig in and poke through what's already there, so I don't have to worry once the rest gets added. Very excited for Baba, as I don't actually own that yet

Check out A Forgetful Loop, it's one of my new favorite puzzle/time management games now! Also I love the premise of being trapped in 30 seconds over and over as your time machine dies.