Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Tonight We Riot

Saw this one mentioned a few times in lists, but no impressions yet, so here's a quick one.

This is a dystopian sci-fi game set sometime in the year 20xx, where corporations run everything and a militarized, fascist police state serves as their enforcers. How bleak and upsetting.

This is a 1 player or 2 player coop brawler where you lead a group of revolutionary proletariat workers who decide to seize the means of production through force. It starts off as a small group, which grows in size as you liberate buildings you find along the way, but often shrinks as you lose people to police violence. One cool little detail is how if your controlled character falls, another person steps up to immediately assume the position and the game carries on. The difficulty ramps up quickly, and I haven't gotten very far in yet.

There's also a very good dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Trickyblackjack posted:

I tried Tonight We Riot, and while it's most definitely righteous, I don't think it controls very well and the difficulty ramps real quick to the point where I was just feeling frustrated throughout. I dropped it midway through the second island. Co-op may salvage it though (as it does many things).
It really feels like it needs a difficulty setting. You hit a wall pretty early on, from my experience. I watched some videos of co-op and they were really struggling too.

Maybe it's a meta statement about the difficulty of truly effecting real change

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ragnar34 posted:

I just played The Hex and this is the truth. I've got complaints about the game, but at least the flaws are intentional. This is the Pony Island guy, of course it sucks on purpose. The art is gently caress ugly because it's an ugly story, and the gameplay is mediocre because it's about mediocre games. It does run like poo poo on my computer, though, and I doubt that was on purpose.
This looks great, I'm definitely going to check it out.

Ragnar34 posted:

I get the feeling it didn't sell that well, which is ironic. It deserved to do better if so. I wish I'd paid real money for this now.
You still can! Just go back to the game page and buy it again, pretty sure it will let you do that even when you have it already, and if not just check "Give this game as a gift".

I fully intend to go back to some of my favorites and give the devs at least a few dollars directly, indie game devs really can use the money.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Just saw this recently and good, Valve has been grossly hands-off way too much for way too long with the amount of influence they have, the whole "let the community moderate itself" stance is getting less and less amusing as the years go on and they continue to rake in money off of it. Hopefully more developers start to follow suit.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

This Strange Realm of Mine

This was one of the bigger pleasant surprises I've found on my own so far (there are way too many good recommendations from this thread to give proper credit). The page artwork gives off a bit of a DeviantArt vibe, but there is a lot more going on than even the game seems to give itself credit for in it's own description.

I started it up not expecting a whole lot, but took the couple hours it takes to play all the way through in one sitting. There's a lot going on, and it's hard to describe without using a bunch of genre labels all at once; FPS shooter, adventure game, light puzzle solver; meditation on the self, mental health, and the meaning of life; all presented with a mixture of pixel art and Minecraft-esque graphics, with lots of poetry woven in throughout.

If that sounds like a lot, it is. The game throws a bunch of things at you, and it's not clear what it's trying to do at first. Giving it enough time will start bringing everything together though.

The levels each have their own theme, and a lot of them involve shooting or bludgeoning different manifestations of monsters/people that are trying to take you out. The shooting bits are a little jarring, with the bucketsful of blood flying around the level, though it's still cartoony enough to not feel entirely gratuitous. The shooting gameplay itself is methodical and can be repetitive, but it's not the main focus of the game, and there is enough variation to keep it from getting too tedious.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Trickyblackjack posted:

Dev: should i put a limit on how big the sword can be? nah

I'd say this game is the sleeper hit of the bundle

Also I was happy to find there's an endless game mode, it's all the same levels but once you finish you can go back and keep making the sword bigger. There truly seems to be no limit other than how much grinding you're willing to do

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Still working my way slowly through this bundle, that's going to keep me occupied for a long while to come. It's reminded me what I love about the indie game scene, there are some real gems in here, and most don't need hours to get to the core of the experience.

Luminous

Luminous is a meta-narrative on failure, and frustration simulator, wrapped up in a clunky platformer. There's a companion entity who follows you around and berates you for every mistake you make, then remembers them and brings them back up to throw in your face as the game progresses. I hated and loved it. One of the endings can be found in around 15-20 minutes, depending on how often you fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wow this is really helpful, thanks for sharing the link.

I'm still randomly grabbing games and trying them out.

Noise1

This is a terminal style game where you type commands to interact with different parts of the level. The commands start off simple, then get more complex and timing-based as you go along. Really clever use of unicode characters to represent objects and entities. Has a surprisingly emotional story.