Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Guy Fieri is the friar, obviously.

Guy Friari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Redwall on PBS really missed out on the violence TBH

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
How many times did they find Martin's sword and hang it back up until his true heir came? Thrice?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Derpies posted:

Redwall on PBS really missed out on the violence TBH

Did they tone it down for PBS? On the Teletoon airings I remember them doing stuff like pouring boiling oil in a siege tunnel and Matthias decapitating Asmodeus when he finds the sword.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah there was 0 actual "violence" I would say. Redwall would actual make a cool HBO series these days so too bad no one has picked it up. Mouse tits all day!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Coxswain Balls posted:

I think it's nice that he started writing because he wanted to make something for the children at the school for the blind he volunteered at, which is why all of his books have the ridiculously detailed descriptions of feasts and stuff.

On the other hand, I never caught on to the racism until it was made super explicit in the one book where like a baby ferret is raised in the abbey. I think he grows up and turns out to be a shitbag not because he was ostracized or anything, but despite growing up with a caring adopted family he just can't help it because he's one of the "bad" species. Dude doesn't even get a redemption arc or anything; despite sacrificing himself in the end for his adopted mother the takeaway was "he probably didn't even mean to save me, he was just evil this whole time." God drat, son.

The Long Patrol rocks. After that I generally liked all of the stuff that was chronologically from before and right when the abbey was built, lots of boats and pirates and stuff which was my jam at the time.

Outcast of Redwall didnt really hold back on that. I think he even had an extra toe on his paw which more or less said OF COURSE HE BAD

i feel kinda dumb not knowing why he described stuff in such detail :(

another pro book Mariel of Redwall was off the hook. Mariel washes up on a shore holding a shipping rope then beats every rats rear end with it while making sure its soaked in seawater to make it heavier

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Outcast of Redwall didnt really hold back on that. I think he even had an extra toe on his paw which more or less said OF COURSE HE BAD

i feel kinda dumb not knowing why he described stuff in such detail :(

another pro book Mariel of Redwall was off the hook. Mariel washes up on a shore holding a shipping rope then beats every rats rear end with it while making sure its soaked in seawater to make it heavier

mariel is cool, the bellmaker is a good one too imo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Holy poo poo i have SEVEN more novels i have to read after Taggerrung came out!!!

:byodood: YESSS

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i read all this dumb poo poo when i was a kid up until like... Triss?

Mossflower and Salamandastron were the best ones by far

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

hey guys is this the mossflower thread

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Million Ghosts posted:

i read all this dumb poo poo

get out

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Which one has the hedgehog that uses hardened oat cakes like a discus/boomerang weapon?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was re-reading the series a couple years ago. Was reading them in release order and I think I got to Salamandastron before stopping for no particular reason. They were still a lot of fun to read even to this day, even though I'm many years older by now. They're simple but full of wonderful detail to imagine, and a lot of fun characters.

But yeah even as a kid I thought the "good" animals and "evil" animals thing was pretty noticeable. Though as a kid I think it was more "who would name their kid Fangtooth and not expect them to be bad". I liked it when the books tried to do a little bit with "evil" animal becoming accepted by others, though this didn't happen very often and was usually pretty paper thin. I guess kids weren't supposed to think about it that hard. At least it doesn't ruin the books or anything.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Significant majority of fantasy genre is just advanced race theory and arguments for fascism by the author

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

Holy poo poo i have SEVEN more novels i have to read after Taggerrung came out!!!

:byodood: YESSS
He really settled into his pattern around then and is mostly interested in developing ancillary cultures from the periphery of Mossflower. His last one before passing was really good, particularly

Wub a Dub Sub
Feb 13, 2012

to the heart and mind
ignorance is kind

there's no comfort in the truth
pain is all youll find

so im never gonna dance again
guilty feet have got no rhythem...
i liked the one about the badger with the big club thats about all i remember

BUT

i looked up redwall recipes online probably one of my first uses of the internet and i made some sweet vittles or something

it was fruits in a sweet syrup basically i didnt attempt any of the nut cakes come on i was like 9 years old

i liked the otters too

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
It's crazy that after not having read the books in like 20 years that all I can remember is vivid descriptions of the food what the gently caress I don't remember the characters I don't remember the story I just remember pages and pages of descriptions of food like some Simarillion bullshit

In the books defense the descriptions of the food was absolutely outstanding

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i would always read these in juvie which after our final meal of the day was always a rough time

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

i would always read these in juvie which after our final meal of the day was always a rough time
I hope it brought you solace

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Daikloktos posted:

I hope it brought you solace

it sucked rear end reading the food parts but the adventure bits always helped

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
are the horses maybe a metaphor for SOME REAL WORLD poo poo coming to the idyllic , world-apart abbey?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Otters were great and squirrels were too

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
GUOSIM were a top notch faction

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looking around at all the angry faces at the redwall table after I said voles bred like rats

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Deeper'n'ever pie is just chicago deep dish pizza

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Are there any actual cities in redwall

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

I guess Chicago exists

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The rats have to come from somewhere

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Hodor but badger.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are occasional cave-towns but to my knowledge never a freestanding settlement that's not a fortress or ain't Ninians.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Milo and POTUS posted:

I uh

Salamandastron is an actual old volcano so i think thats counts since its loving huge

i didnt read it but i was under the impression Loamhenge was big as heck but its been awhile since i read one of the books that reference it

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Actually this brings up an interesting point.

Do horses ever appear anywhere else in any of the Redwall books, outside of that one scene at the start of the first book where Cluny and his horde are riding on/with them and one of his mooks falls off and gets trampled by them? And if not, why not? I read a bunch of the books in the series — I think I finished at least 5 or 6 of them and got a few chapters into several more — but I don’t remember horses being mentioned a single time beyond that one instance.

When I was a kid, so like 20+ years ago, I read these books obsessively. Over and over again, until they fell apart obsessively. All this to say, I distinctly remember a line in one of the novels, I honestly think it was Mariel of Redwall although I really don't remember, where there was this random typo wherein two characters were suddenly referred to in the text as being horses one time despite having been previously introduced as something else (otters?). They were not called otters again. It would have been in a paperback edition from the mid to late 90s I think.

Edit: Apparently the error occurs in "Outcasts of Redwall" and it was hares not otters that were replaced by horses. Odd how memory works.

Giggle Goose fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 11, 2020

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i read all of those books and had a few of them signed through gradeschool please don't tell anyone it's very embarrassing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It would be more embarassing if you didn't like the delightful animal fantasy world, bitch

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Mossflower is just a short easy to read lord of the rings. With animals. Its great for kids.

Therefore its Mac and Cheese

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

verbal enema posted:

i didnt read it but i was under the impression Loamhenge was big as heck but its been awhile since i read one of the books that reference it
The book where it's revealed the Loamhedge ruins are where Slagar was taking Mattimeo across the desert was one of those rare bits of hard continuity in the series. They even run into the Wearet again and it's not clear if it's a different one or some kind of mystic immortal beast

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I liked all of the books that featured badgers, because badgers in Redwall (and probably in real life too!) kicked rear end.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Gologle posted:

I liked all of the books that featured badgers, because badgers in Redwall (and probably in real life too!) kicked rear end.
Did you read the one where the Badger-level Wolverine princes come across the ocean in an ascension dispute?

You had Badgers, those Wolverines, and Wildcats as semimystic giant races of terrible power; I don't know or remember what else might have been introduced of their ilk in some corner. Like what's a High Rhulain? Some sort of Otter priest? What regionality are they pastiching?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Rakkety Tam was the Scottish, for example, if that sounds like a hook for a latter-day one you'd want to dip back into. As I was saying after Lord Brocktree-ish he started getting into a comfortable rut writing formulaic, cyclical pieces. They were always just set further in the timeline and there was always a Badger Lord on some intersecting quest, etc, etc. It's an immensely comfortable period of the franchise and the peripheral cultures he brings in are always fun, but you can tell the fire's starting to burn low into the night on the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

I saw a badger once. He was digging a hole. I was really impressed with his hole digging skills.