Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
These books got metal as gently caress. I remember the one about the Lord badger dude taking back his ancestral volcano home. He ends up defeating the big bad by breaking his spine but decides to be merciful. Later one of the big baddies henchman finds him and drowns him in the sea because he was a oval office. As a kid I had to put down the book and go wtf

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
like 5 pages in in the long patrol some rat gets thwacked in the head with a stone sling then gets his head caved in

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The vole serial killer that meticulously carved organs out of his victims before post-mortem fornication was described in excruciating detail, thank you Brian Jacques your prose is erotic

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Doltos posted:

The vole serial killer that meticulously carved organs out of his victims before post-mortem fornication was described in excruciating detail, thank you Brian Jacques your prose is erotic

wait i dont remember this
maybe i kinda do
it had to be in the Abbey

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

When I was in seventh grade my English teacher picked up my book and made fun of me because it was all "fighting and eating". Way to encourage kids to read! I remember nothing that woman taught me and every word of Tingle's song from Taggerung so I guess it all worked out.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Oh man I was all over this series in junior high. I remember my science teacher getting on me for always reading in class instead of taking notes.

Checking the publication list, I had everything up through Taggerung before losing interest. Long Patrol and Mossflower were my favorites.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

subpar anachronism posted:

When I was in seventh grade my English teacher picked up my book and made fun of me because it was all "fighting and eating". Way to encourage kids to read! I remember nothing that woman taught me and every word of Tingle's song from Taggerung so I guess it all worked out.
It's actually fascinating reading erotic fanfiction written by people who've only really read Redwall because they write their sex scenes exactly like the fighting and eating.

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Daikloktos posted:

It's actually fascinating reading erotic fanfiction written by people who've only really read Redwall because they write their sex scenes exactly like the fighting and eating.

Uhh no thanks

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Shrews were good right? I recall them being like, neutral but good and also like the forest wild men from Return of the King who are like, Sean Connery from Zardoz or some poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

KiteAuraan posted:

Shrews were good right? I recall them being like, neutral but good and also like the forest wild men from Return of the King who are like, Sean Connery from Zardoz or some poo poo.

yeah the Guerrilla Union Of Shrews In Mossflower or GUOSIM for short are absolute badasses. Lil rapier n kilts n log boats

They play very important roles in several books

Log-a-log

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
they also tend to keep to themselves a lot since their basically The Abbey level cooks + Salamandastron level fighters

just a lil on the small side being slightly shorter than the average mouse

any book that involves alotta river or sea stuff is always top notch because Brian Jacques was a fisherman and really knew his poo poo and could write some pretty drat intense storm sections or river rapids demolishing the raft. Also knew how to convey the relaxing feeling of being on the water

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
didn't jacques do a lot of poo poo as for job wise?

e: I literally think he drove a truck at one point lol

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

20 pages of violent rodent war like crushing a rats skull with a tiny medieval mace so its brains squirts out its ears

these are still kids books right

Tiberius Christ fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 15, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
As long as the furry critters don't gently caress or do drugs it's a ok

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Tiberius Christ posted:

20 pages of violent rodent war like crushing a rats skull with a tiny medieval mace so its brains squirts out its ears

Books should educate children on the real world

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiberius Christ posted:

look the 90s were a violent place kids grew up seeing mice murder stoats every day

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

itd be funny if someone wrote a realistic take on redwall where the weasels stoats and ferrets just spree kill all the abbey denizens (their natural prey)

i guess badgers and otters would stand a chance but p much everything else would be hosed if even a few weasels got in

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

so what age were you when you noticed all the books had more or less the same plot?

mossflower was good though

and the one where they discover the ruins of kotir beneath redwall (was that marlfox? idk)

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Redwall prequels>Redwall sequels

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i read everything up through the long patrol and salamandastron was my favorite. never got tired of the badgers being metal as hell

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

It didn't even take me a chapter to realize this dumb poo poo is GoT but aimed squarely at the preteen otherkin demographic. The author is living out his fursona fantasy. I can't believe GBS convinced me to spend actual money on this garbage written for babies.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

935 posted:

It didn't even take me a chapter to realize this dumb poo poo is GoT but aimed squarely at the preteen otherkin demographic. The author is living out his fursona fantasy. I can't believe GBS convinced me to spend actual money on this garbage written for babies.

to make it worse he basically singlehandedly started the nazi furry community

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

935 posted:

is this a real post

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

is this a real post

no you dork

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The Cockler posted:

no you dork

idk he seems sincere

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

idk he seems sincere

it's a 14 year old account who knows what an otherkin is not a twitter poster

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

The Cockler posted:

to make it worse he basically singlehandedly started the nazi furry community

Wait I thought that was Maus

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

please everyone know the nazi furry community was established in the edwardian period by kenneth grahame in his controversial addendum to wind in the willows in which mr. toad funds a mass forced relocation of the population of the wild wood

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

please everyone know the nazi furry community was established in the edwardian period by kenneth grahame in his controversial addendum to wind in the willows in which mr. toad funds a mass forced relocation of the population of the wild wood

a precursor

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait I thought that was Maus

an homage

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

935 posted:

Yeah, except its not game of thrones, its more the hobbit.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

didn't jacques do a lot of poo poo as for job wise?

e: I literally think he drove a truck at one point lol

He was delivering milk to a school for the blind when he wrote the first book for the kids there yeah. Also was a longshoreman at some point.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

935 posted:

The author is living out his fursona fantasy.
I was trying to figure out how he might have answered the "Which species would you be?" question in interviews before I forgot oh yeah, Gonff the Thief

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bodyholes posted:

so what age were you when you noticed all the books had more or less the same plot?

mossflower was good though

and the one where they discover the ruins of kotir beneath redwall (was that marlfox? idk)

I want to say I noticed fairly quickly, but got my hands on the books/audiobooks infrequently enough that it didn't bother me much. And I think that was Long Patrol though he may have gone back to the well on that one a few times. I can't help but wonder what the Venn Diagram for Pratchett readers is, both were/are pretty popular series around the same time; though I didn't find Diskworld until far later.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Is there anyone here who got to experience the series in the early 90's or even latest 80's or is SomethingAwful's vaunted age skew going to fail us now. Pearls of Lutra was the newest book when I started at 5 years old

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

935 posted:

Get the gently caress out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Daikloktos posted:

Is there anyone here who got to experience the series in the early 90's or even latest 80's or is SomethingAwful's vaunted age skew going to fail us now. Pearls of Lutra was the newest book when I started at 5 years old

i know i read a few in the late 90s as i was born in 89

redwall first of course but after that probably whatever ones I could get my hands on

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

I remember I didn't like the Outcast of Redwall because Veil got a raw deal and I really liked Marlfox but I thought it was super weird that none of these siblings gave a poo poo about each other at all and then I read Taggerung as soon as it came out and I was like 'Hey how come this otter was raised by assholes but he turned out to be all good and noble and honorable despite having absolutely no examples of that in his life' and that's when I finally realized the weird racism in the books. I was a very stupid child, I guess. I stopped reading them after Taggerung although I don't think it was because of the racism. I just lost interest.

Better than me, some of it rubbed my the wrong way but it want until I was an adult and someone pointed it out. I was like "What how on earth were those mouse books racist... ...yeahhh"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

free hubcaps posted:

is this a real post

the books are just fantasy
For much younger kids
an escape from reality

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

935 posted:

They're YA fiction and the every-few-years Redwall thread on SA is mostly people who read it as children reminiscing, not recommending it to new readers who are adults. Although I guess we can start recommending it to goons' children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This series was extremely my poo poo as a kid, though I definitely fell off them due to how formulaic it became.

I actually played a game last year, Ghost of Tale, that really captures the tone and overall "feel" of the books while very much forging its own identity. It's got a real quiet melancholy to it and I was shocked and how good its character writing was without devolving into "this ain't your dad's Redwall" grimdarkness.