Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Big Bidness posted:

There's not a whole lot you can do about seemingly rare bugs on consoles. It could be something completely arcane, like a specific combination of charms, outfits, and skills. I had a bizarre issue with standoffs where if I killed everyone in the standoff and one of them had a falcon, the falcon would fly away and I would be stuck in combat and couldn't fast travel even if I rode halfway across the map. It wouldn't reset my status until i got into combat again and killed everyone. Or quit and reloaded.

Back up your saves, delete the game, and re-install.

https://youtu.be/6iPjRxpr9nk

Reinstalling didn't work, I guess I just gotta live with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well I officially did it, out with the old save and in with the new game. Here's hoping I stick with it, now that I know what to prioritize for best effect (finding all the hot springs ASAP)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

I always feel like a party pooper when I say this, but Sucker Punch makes better first games than second games and I’d rather Ghost just be a single perfect game instead of a franchise that focuses on hybrid stealth action open world combat in historical settings

Sly 2 and Infamous 2 were both better than the first games though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well I officially did it, out with the old save and in with the new game. Here's hoping I stick with it, now that I know what to prioritize for best effect (finding all the hot springs ASAP)

Doing a second playthrough on lethal mode really revamped my enjoyment. Suddenly there's a big chunk of the game where I have to really consider whether or not it's worth getting into a fight or not, because more than three opponents at once might as well be an army.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Doing a second playthrough on lethal mode really revamped my enjoyment. Suddenly there's a big chunk of the game where I have to really consider whether or not it's worth getting into a fight or not, because more than three opponents at once might as well be an army.

We'll see. At the very least I'm starting out on hard rather than working up to that for the second half of the game.

Also wow, I totally forgot Yuna was just someone he randomly met in the intro. She works so well in the story I forgot they'd only known each other for the length of the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

lol, the first actual combat section is more lethal than anything I saw in the last third of the game. Like, two hits worth of health, barely any resolve, and no special moves beyond blocking and the most basic dodge.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Ghost of Vietnam :getin:

Haha it'd never happen but I'd love a game where you play as the Vietcong.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mitchmohrhauser/status/1293396860934094849?s=21

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and it's done and platted. i hosed up way more standoffs than i would have liked, made me feel very foolish

as for the ending, i went with the spare option and was glad that i did. not only was it a nice little thematic tie-off, showing that "dishonor" can encompass virtuous qualities as well, but the ending itself came off as a better last note cinematically than the kill option. i'd rather have jin slow-walking into the credits screen flanked by overlapping patterns of bloodred and pure white than him on his knees and wailing into the sky

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

If you got the extra content, all this concept art is in there and a lot of it is EXCELLENT.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sakurazuka posted:

Sly 2 and Infamous 2 were both better than the first games though.
I was going to say this lol

Noirex
May 30, 2006

direct link - https://magazine.artstation.com/2020/08/sucker-punch-productions-ghost-of-tsushima-art-blast/

The Art of Ghost of Tsushima - Pre-ordered this, don't usually buy art books but the work is seriously stunning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never played a Sly Cooper but inFamous 2 was not better than 1, 1 had a way better city and splitting the powers up sucked rear end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sensei Ishikawa just killed me, I was storming the fort on his first mission and had a sliver of health with no resolve. The only way I can heal is by killing enemies, and what does he do but take each one out just as I'm running up to slice them, until I'm finally taken out by an archer. Thanks bud, much appreciated :tipshat::respek::rip:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 12, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sensei Ishikawa just killed me, I was storming the fort on his first mission and had a sliver of health with no resolve. The only way I can heal is by killing enemies, and what does he do but take each one out just as I'm running up to slice them, until I'm finally taken out by an archer. Thanks bud, much appreciated :tipshat::respek::rip:

Become Jedi, you scrub.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Strategically retreating and slowly taking out the threats from long range, it is the Jedi way.

This mission's been a sticking point in both playthroughs. The archers in particular just seem insane, like I try to maneuver myself to stay in melee combat only, but then I leave a single pixel opening and they snipe me from across the fort. Weirdly tough when it's early enough that you're basically out in two hits

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

:same:

I really hope there's a section on all of the Japanese calligraphy, and maybe who did it. I took a course on Japanese calligraphy in college, and it's become my quarantine art. I did so many screenshots of the calligraphy when you start missions. If there's any interest I could do an effort post about why the calligraphy in Ghost of Tsuhima is rad. I'm afraid it would become a graphic design nerd post :ohdear:

But really, if any of you poured hours into the perfect photo, then the artbook isn't that big of a leap.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

animeluva1 posted:

I really hope there's a section on all of the Japanese calligraphy, and maybe who did it. I took a course on Japanese calligraphy in college, and it's become my quarantine art. I did so many screenshots of the calligraphy when you start missions. If there's any interest I could do an effort post about why the calligraphy in Ghost of Tsuhima is rad. I'm afraid it would become a graphic design nerd post :ohdear:

But really, if any of you poured hours into the perfect photo, then the artbook isn't that big of a leap.

I for one, want to hear why it is rad. :justpost:

Halfway through act 2 and christ there is so much to do yet...

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

animeluva1 posted:

:justpost:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

animeluva1 posted:

do it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:justpost:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

animeluva1 posted:

I was really curious about the calligraphy for all the mission title screens, but most of them looked really similar to me. Did you notice this? I thought they were translations of the mission titles but after noticing that so many of them look very similar I thought maybe they meant something else.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Baggot posted:

I was really curious about the calligraphy for all the mission title screens, but most of them looked really similar to me. Did you notice this? I thought they were translations of the mission titles but after noticing that so many of them look very similar I thought maybe they meant something else.

Short answer: Yes, the title screens are not translations of the mission subtitles.

Long answer: I'm getting my screenshots sorted out to post my rough translations of the title cards. Give me a day or so.

EDIT: I can't grammar too good.

animeluva1 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 13, 2020

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do weapons unlock further upgrade potential later on? I've almost finished upgrading both bows in act one and I'm wondering if it's safe to sell excess bamboo and woods.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope once you've fully upgraded both bows there's no use for any of the upgrade items they use other than to sell.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, finished the game and got platinum, the latter of which I VERY seldom bother doing. Felt weirdly appropriate the final achievement I wound up doing was the play the flute at Taka's grave, felt like a perfect coda to everything. Wound up killing my uncle, it weirdly felt like the kinder choice to let him die the way he wanted to, it was very moving at least. Still have a few collectibles I might grind out for giggles like the last crickets/banners, but at least like most people I've found the perfect post-game outfit to wear doing it:

As for sequels, honestly this game is perfectly fitting as a one and done; if nothing else I don't really see anyplace important for Jin's story to go. If they did want a continuation; given they basically took Jin through what would easily work as the origin of a shinobi school (several esoteric techniques learned including stealth, poison and explosives, a reason not to be directly part of the samurai system, remote location to hide in, and a bunch of potential lower class recruits for the "Ghost's army" with even more sympathizers to provide info regarding the local samurai as needed) and I understand the earliest at least precursors to shinobi popped up around this time frame, I could easily see him forming his own clan. Jin Sakai, founding jonin of the Sakai Ryu shinobi would work as a good starting point for any sequel; play one of his clan (or maybe a samurai adopted by them if you want to keep the "honor to sneakiness" journey theme) and you could have loads of options for future Mongol attacks or messing around in the Sengoku conflicts to play with. Again logically there were no codified "ninja" clans that early on historically, so just being "ghosts" is fitting without bringing in the idea of the overplayed black pajama squads directly. Though outfit-wise I have to say the Ghost armor looks like a pretty realistic setup for that kind of stealth work without directly playing to the cliche.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I finished Masako's story yesterday but I have to admit that I don't feel the reveal/climax landed very well. Or rather, maybe it was just that Hana's explanation didn't feel like her actions, or at least the extreme of killing kids, were an extension of the explanation.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Masako's ending is easily the worst.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Accidentally deleted my main save file while trying to switch to my older save instead of my new 2nd Kurosawa mode run

Fuckkkk

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The companion storylines were my least favorite thing about the game. The quest structure is almost identical minus one duel and some temple defense missions, and all of them essentially have the same storyline (NPC vows revenge against someone, goes to a place to kill mongols, examines exactly 3 things in the environment, then argues with Jin about it). You could have fast forwarded parts 1-9 in most cases and have been none the wiser, since everything is already set up from the very first chapter. I wish they had a lot more variety, changes in perspective, or anything to differentiate one revenge plot from the next. I never skip cutscenes in games as a rule but the middle Ishikawa chapters especially were some real whip out the phone material.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WaltherFeng posted:

Accidentally deleted my main save file while trying to switch to my older save instead of my new 2nd Kurosawa mode run

Fuckkkk

Do you have PS+ and cloud saves turned on? Check there.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m in act 2, and haven’t actually done any main quests in act 2, just side quests so far. I don’t want to platinum this game or anything, but I do want to experience the more fun side quests. Aside from doing all the side quests that are marked by a character’s face in the map (like ishikawa or masako’s quests) are there other side quests that are really drat good and I should keep an eye out for? They’d be ones marked with the generic quest symbol, right? Am I doing myself a bad by not advancing the main plot at all right now?

I have also been loving the photo mode, you can do some really cool composition. I wish there was a way to make gifs on the PS4 that would be like a still picture utilizing the “moving image” aspect of photo mode with birds and particles and all that.

Here are some of my favorite photos I’ve taken so far:

I love this moss covered hat

And just my absolute favorite. Really encapsulates how badass Jin becomes

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 13, 2020

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Do trappers ever restock their inventory?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does this game have some kind of bizzaro input lag? I swear I get owned in standoffs all the time, perfect parrying is tough as hell too

this is coming from someone who played a ton of For Honor on console, which has incredibly tight input windows

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Partway through Act 3 now and it seems like I've seen all the different kinds of enemies they will throw at me so I'm confident in saying the biggest threat is still the camera. Not sure if they were trying for a POV that would be less herky-jerky or what but the camera takes way too long to catch up with Jin. A dodge roll can take you partially or fully off-screen. Archers you can thankfully defend against Zatoichi-style since they have a couple different audio cues before firing but you really need to see the other enemies for their attacks. Fighting indoors is a lost cause without using Ghost weapons or your special techniques.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think they just want you to be pro-active about utilising it, so that you feel pressured. I make sure to manage the camera as part of the combat and I almost never have issues. I've never had it swing out of control or jam into a corner without me being able to correct it easily and quickly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dan Didio posted:

I think they just want you to be pro-active about utilising it, so that you feel pressured. I make sure to manage the camera as part of the combat and I almost never have issues. I've never had it swing out of control or jam into a corner without me being able to correct it easily and quickly.

It's not about it going out of control or getting stuck. It just doesn't keep up so it needs a lot of adjustment to provide a good view. Most games I play are third-person brawlers/hack 'n' slashers like this and I'm fine using the camera to scope out the battlefield and keep watch for threats but in this it's a matter of also trying to keep the player character and the immediate area around him properly in frame.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lobok posted:

It's not about it going out of control or getting stuck. It just doesn't keep up so it needs a lot of adjustment to provide a good view. Most games I play are third-person brawlers/hack 'n' slashers like this and I'm fine using the camera to scope out the battlefield and keep watch for threats but in this it's a matter of also trying to keep the player character and the immediate area around him properly in frame.

I know this probably sounds patronizing, but did you change the camera setting? I think there's a 'fast' setting or something like that. I found it made a world of difference for me once I moved off the default.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No no, it's not patronizing. I do have it on the fastest setting. I normally boost camera sensitivity up in games so it was one of the first things I did. But that's for the speed of me moving the camera, not the following speed of the camera on its own if that makes sense.

Like I'm not raging against the game or trying to host a pity party, I'm doing fine on Hard and I'm almost finished. It's just my main beef with the combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
And to be fair, I've had my fair share of a random tree or loving yurt get in my way and I have no idea wtf is going on during combat.

It does seem that the combat seems to take this into account in a small way by not allowing any lockon so it subtly encourages you to fight in a more open space, and/or use your ghost tools when you're surrounded/enclosed.

I've also noticed physics doesn't seem to be 100% accurate with bows. Namely that if I am slightly behind an obstacle, but the reticle is on the enemy, the arrow will fly through the obstacle and hit my target anyway.