Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Another healing legendary, game is pigeonholing me :argh:

DEFINITELY AN EXPLOIT Summary:

run the first story mission on gold, or at least silver to perform glitch
launch by yourself, no matchmaking
run to first couple enemies, let them kill you
fail mission
avg- 1 minute 20 to fail run on silver, 45s on gold, 15-17s on nightmare
reward menu shows nothing, check gear menu, reward still received

e: this can be done even faster by just holding down as soon as you spawn, walking you out of bounds and killing your character in 10 seconds. you can then just hit square to repeat the mission. this can be physically automated if you have a way to prop your control stick down and a weight on the square button.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have been enjoying new game+ so far but after a couple of survival rounds i havent found myself wanting to go back to legend mode. i had fun but found the experience a bit limited and also wish there were matches shorter than 20-30 minutes. i havent really dug into story missions except for the introductory one. the classes arent nearly as different as they seem to imply in the tutorial

i love my sparkly new blue kensei armor

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I enjoy the gameplay but I agree, I wish the rounds were shorter. I haven't even tried gold survival yet, silver takes up to 40 minutes!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in the single player mode i really enjoy taking my time with fights, singling out enemies one by one and actually dueling them but thats so far theres no gameplay like that in survival you are just endlessly chopping up hordes of zombies and demons which is just not my thing. maybe i'll try being mainly an archer for variety

however that first story mission i did showed some promise in that you could at least approach the situation in a few different ways, be stealthy, etc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Playing survival with pubbies can be frustrating. STOP RUNNING TO THE ENEMY SPAWN POINTS just wait for them to come to the circle so you can reposition to the other two when the next waves hit!

Also DO THE loving BONUS OBJECTIVES HALF OF THEM AREN'T EVEN HARD

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Playing survival with pubbies can be frustrating. STOP RUNNING TO THE ENEMY SPAWN POINTS just wait for them to come to the circle so you can reposition to the other two when the next waves hit!

Also DO THE loving BONUS OBJECTIVES HALF OF THEM AREN'T EVEN HARD

I've been kind of frustrated with bonus objectives. Sometimes you get something like "get headshots" and I have my bomb bag on instead of a bow. Or whenever "get drop assassinations" comes up I can't manage to pull them off before the enemy is alerted to my presence. Sometimes I don't notice the bonus objective is active until it's too late.

Earwicker posted:

in the single player mode i really enjoy taking my time with fights, singling out enemies one by one and actually dueling them but thats so far theres no gameplay like that in survival you are just endlessly chopping up hordes of zombies and demons which is just not my thing. maybe i'll try being mainly an archer for variety

however that first story mission i did showed some promise in that you could at least approach the situation in a few different ways, be stealthy, etc

I just did the ghost ships story mission and I thought it was pretty cool. I just wish they scaled up to 4 players instead of being 2 player only.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Diephoon posted:

I've been kind of frustrated with bonus objectives. Sometimes you get something like "get headshots" and I have my bomb bag on instead of a bow. Or whenever "get drop assassinations" comes up I can't manage to pull them off before the enemy is alerted to my presence. Sometimes I don't notice the bonus objective is active until it's too late.

They’re always on the 2nd wave after the start/boss: 2/7/12/17. I do admit you get no real indication of when they start and the text is easy to miss if you’re focused on the game itself.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Earwicker, i think what you're looking for can be found better in the story missions, which tend to be a bit slower. and with a good buddy who's on the same page as you, you can approach them more tactfully

i personally really love the survival missions cuz, while mindless, you gotta give them your whole attention and they can get pretty frantic.

they are...a tiny bit too long though, i agree. like 55min for a gold. but i don't know how to shorten them cuz that would gently caress with the whole grind progression and i feel like their difficulty is already pretty well balanced if you're going into level appropriate challenges

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You should be able to pick 10/15/20 waves on either difficulty and just add/subtract a reward. So you get the full 6-7 items for a full 20 wave run or just 4 10 wave run which would put it right around the same time as a fast co-op clear?

Gold could just skip the earlier waves and jump right to bunch of onis and bears. Speaking of bears I jumped into a silver mission this morning and got hit with the bear modifiers. My partner for it rage quit after his 2nd death to them. They’re brutal even if you’re over leveled.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I tried both the nigtmare story and survival missions for a few hours, man they feel nearly impossible without good teammates, especially survival where someone trying to be a hero runs off to defend against crazy Onis by himself at a point.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Some of the most fun I've had in gold survival is rushing to a point about to be captured then just standing in the middle of it parrying and staying alive until my team arrives.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gold could just skip the earlier waves and jump right to bunch of onis and bears. Speaking of bears I jumped into a silver mission this morning and got hit with the bear modifiers. My partner for it rage quit after his 2nd death to them. They’re brutal even if you’re over leveled.

i have a strict "bomb all animals on sight" policy

the best thing about the challenge of gold survivals is that i eventually run out of ammo, but i guess they could modify the amount available

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
On my Samurai I will pop Ult to kill a single bear without a single moment of hesitation, gently caress those things.

Although I do think they are especially weak to fire.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

Add me - modestlyawesome I want to fight with other men and women of honor.

:hai:

couldn't send friend request because of settings?

you can add me though

Dr_Ray_Smuckles

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Add me - modestlyawesome I want to fight with other men and women of honor.

:hai:

Same, I tried to add you but couldn't, it says you're not accepting friend requests right now

shoot me one, I'm DongQuixote11 i'll be on today for a bit in the evening EST, would love to do a silver survival with goons, haven't quite got the gear for gold yet.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
wow...

nightmare...

geez

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh my mistake. I’ll add you two then fix that later tonight.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

RaySmuckles posted:

wow...

nightmare...

geez

i'm down to try with fellow goons, I don't think it's impossible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve seen the light and it’s playing a ranger and just hanging out on roofs headshotting everything.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i forgot the tutorial, how do you mark enemies/items?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Soonmot posted:

Aim at the item, press in the right stick.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soonmot posted:

L2 to aim then R1.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ok I added you both and fixed my thing. Everyone should be able to add modestlyawesome now.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Some of the most fun I've had in gold survival is rushing to a point about to be captured then just standing in the middle of it parrying and staying alive until my team arrives.

LOL same here. It really helped me sharpen my parry and dodge game

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I have the all stances sword now and I don't think I'm ever taking it off. Being able to stagger every nerd I face off with is too good.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I could have sworn one of the merchants had an armor dye that looked like it had weed leaves all over it (it's probably japanese maple, which looks a little similar) but now I can't find it, does anyone know what I'm talking about and where I can get it?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Somehow finished a nightmare survival and story mission with randos, I felt pretty terrible in the survival but the two ronins were super clutch with their revives at critical moments and we were able to grind away, it's nearly impossible to hold every point towards the end because the enemies have so much health to wittle away.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

Somehow finished a nightmare survival and story mission with randos, I felt pretty terrible in the survival but the two ronins were super clutch with their revives at critical moments and we were able to grind away, it's nearly impossible to hold every point towards the end because the enemies have so much health to wittle away.

gimme them caltrops

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i've done like ten silver survivals and all the missions and haven't gotten a single legendary :( still not over the threshold for gold at 78 but maybe i should just go for it. really, all i want is a fuckin all stances sword. moon/water seems like generally the best because i can reliably parry sword and spear guys but everything would be a lot easier if i could just break their block

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's a couple of cool cosmetics tied to some tough challenges for nightmare: There's one for completing it with 0 downs and another for doing all the objectives (oni, scroll, curse). Those should be fun to try for this weekend with goons.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

i've done like ten silver survivals and all the missions and haven't gotten a single legendary :( still not over the threshold for gold at 78 but maybe i should just go for it. really, all i want is a fuckin all stances sword. moon/water seems like generally the best because i can reliably parry sword and spear guys but everything would be a lot easier if i could just break their block

I've run the exploit for probably...1500 items or so at this point? I have five different legendary katanas, I think I ended up with 3 or 4 all stance katanas. You might not get the one you want even if you roll a legendary katana. Good news is that it seems the katanas drop for every class. I'm probably going to let my PS4 chill out for a bit today then run another overnight session on hunter to get the bow, then I'll still play a shitload just to level up all the classes if nothing else.

Also, if you didn't hear it from reddit already, the resource bottleneck for rerolling items is Honor (the middle resource), don't spend it until you hit max level (105?) if you care about item level capping before rerolling your items for modifiers you want. Even with the shameless amount of item farming I've been doing I'm still out of honor points just from trying to roll good properties.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 21, 2020

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Just picked this up with a friend and tossed a few PSN Invites out. If you got a friend request from Waroduce thats me. will be looking for some games this week/weekend, pretty excited after perusing the last few pages. I was eyeing this game and waiting for co-op as i don't like playing single player so i'll be looking to get frisky.

Any good youtube guides for newbies or general orientation? I watched a couple gameplay videos, it seems pretty fun and the Vermintide scene is dead :(

e: also any discord since the new PS parties make it really difficult to link up?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 21, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

Any good youtube guides for newbies or general orientation? I watched a couple gameplay videos, it seems pretty fun and the Vermintide scene is dead :(

The game forces you into a tutorial for each class before you can do anything else so it should be pretty good for getting you oriented. You can only select one class to begin with but you'll unlock everything else as you rank your characters up so just pick whatever you think is coolest.

My survival tips:

USE BARRELS. I see so many pubs just standing around between waves when they could be activating their special senses to see nearby barrels and bring them to a control point. If you detonate the barrel it'll do a lot of damage and set everything around it on fire. I've been using fire arrows to set them off, not sure if regular arrows work. I should try that.

Ammo resupply points also give you back a little bit of health. Useful if you just want to top off and not spend a whole healing drum.

Healing drums do a huge burst heal when they're activated, the following healing aura pales in comparison to the amount of health healed by the activation burst.

Personal preference on ghost weapons so far:

I think smoke bomb is too all around useful to pass up, specialized builds notwithstanding. It will guarantee you are able to resurrect someone, or you can get 3 assassination stabs out of it. Very long cooldown at 120 seconds but hopefully you'll get one with cooldown reduction / cooldown reduced on kills.

Throw dirt has a very low cool down at 40 seconds and can roll with an ignite proc on it. Only hits a frontal cone but you can position yourself to hit a lot of mongols if you play it right.

If you play Ronin/Assassin, the bomb bag is extremely good for unloading all at once, or using delayed throws to crowd control a bit. You give up your ability to contribute to headshotting bonus challenges though since it takes up your bow slot.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Waroduce posted:

e: also any discord since the new PS parties make it really difficult to link up?

We have a Discord for PlayStation goons, and we have sub-channels for the big current games. Everyone is welcome! https://discord.gg/9j7ugAb

SuperDouche
Apr 25, 2008
I just did the stupid loot cheese thing and got one epic caltrops. Not really productive as I enjoy cuttin mongols, petting dogs, and flute concerts more than minmaxing.

PSN ID: Chanchosuave
Add me yall, tend to play Ronin and Samurai. Just got to Silver Survival level.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Diephoon posted:

Ammo resupply points also give you back a little bit of health. Useful if you just want to top off and not spend a whole healing drum.

These are specifically called Ghost Offerings and there's a stat on I think charms or healing jugs that can increase how much healing you receive from them.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Diephoon posted:

I think smoke bomb is too all around useful to pass up, specialized builds notwithstanding. It will guarantee you are able to resurrect someone, or you can get 3 assassination stabs out of it. Very long cooldown at 120 seconds but hopefully you'll get one with cooldown reduction / cooldown reduced on kills.

i play ronin, so i prefer the caltrops since they can absolutely wreck like 1/3rd of an incoming wave, set up huge bomb hits, and/or help hold points with lots of big enemies i have difficulty taking down

spec 'em with fire and have a fire damage charm and 50% extra damage from ghost weapons (ronin) and they help my healer do actual damage

the only downside is their cooldown, but now i have legendary kunai that help reduce cooldowns when i kill people with them

all i'm saying is, this game is fun and there are lots of ways to play. smoke bombs are fine too

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Just did my first Gold survival and completed it so that was p cool, I never top the kill chart but I always have the least deaths so :getin:

Anyhoo y'all add me let's samurai together! PSN: resn---

Hopefully will be on this weekend and a bit in the evenings during the week <3

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
oh no i can't have both a dog and a heal rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soonmot posted:

oh no i can't have both a dog and a heal rip

Good news, you can! There is talent you can get that gives your dog a healing aura.