Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Diephoon posted:

Does nightmare's immunity mod mean that I won't have to deal with flaming arrows this week? That was really unfun.

Haha you wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

Haha you wish

I really do. That mechanic really kills my interest in even attempting nightmare survival. I guess I can give nightmare story a shot but I really enjoy the frantic 4 player action in survival and I like the challenge that all the oni waves bring, but not combined with having to constantly worry about RNG arrows landing on me mid-execution.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Diephoon posted:

I really do. That mechanic really kills my interest in even attempting nightmare survival. I guess I can give nightmare story a shot but I really enjoy the frantic 4 player action in survival and I like the challenge that all the oni waves bring, but not combined with having to constantly worry about RNG arrows landing on me mid-execution.

At least give us the option to destroy the seige engines.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A way to disable the fire spirits would be good. Like setting additional zones outside of the main 3 that control the spirits would be good, I think. So you can set up 1 ghost as fire spirit control at the expense of not having around for actual zone control. Or maybe a store purchase to disable spirits for 1-2 rounds just make it cost prohibited so you can only use it once or twice a match.

I mean they already have some loose rules like they don’t fire if you’re in one of the 3 circles but they’re loving relentless outside of it to the point you need smoke bombs if you want to buy anything in the store or restock on arrows.

Watching a nightmare survival clear on YouTube and what i got from it is I need to get insanely good at perfect parries and dodges.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I find myself doing a lot more perfect parries as soon as I equipped some +Perfect parry window items. Makes sense, as I had that same attribute equipped through most of the solo game.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
the way i got through nightmare was basically all of us running around in circles throwing bombs and picking up ammo drops from the hoards of dead. then smoke bombs for revives/crits

it was non-stop frantic insanity but it wasn't really that "fun."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nightmare survival is unfun bullshit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JBP posted:

Nightmare survival is unfun bullshit

This video on it is fantastic

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

lol @ the people going "well why was that ronin on the roof? you should never be outside the circle!!!"

In a game with stealth mechanics, climbing mechanics, ranged weapons, and gifts you can only buy by going outside the circle... The way to play the ultimate challenge correctly is to never leave the circle

Yeah the arrow barrages need to go. There's plenty of other ways they can make nightmare more challenging - boss waves every wave, adding in mechanics from the story like linked twins, spirits, attunements, etc. At the VERY LEAST they should have the fire spirits appear on the map and be killable.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 27, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm a fan of that rear end in a top hat who shoots mother loving crows at you. Like a millionty of them at a time.

Oh, wait. NOT a fan. I am NOT a fan of that.

Hwatchas can gently caress right off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My only problem with nightmare is being barraged to death every time I stab someone. I would disable crits/assassinations if I could because they're just a liability when the game randomly gives you one. I also got revived three times on my first try and was hit by two barrages as I got up, dead. I don't think I'll bother with that mode again. I can just spend resources to get my things to level 110.

As far as levels go, I'd I play with a friend who is new will I just demolish the bronze/silver tier or does the level just mean effective versus not effective?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

As far as levels go, I'd I play with a friend who is new will I just demolish the bronze/silver tier or does the level just mean effective versus not effective?

far as i can tell, you'll demolish. try an under developed class you have, or just wreck face until they're geared up for gold

if you can pull them up to play at a higher level, even if they're only half baked, they'll gear up pretty quick and golds not that hard to carry someone

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
This is a fantastic piece of DLC and i am deeply appreciative but gold is too god drat long and i wish they randomized the points every match or every other wave honestly. like there are parts of those levels there is no reaso nto go to that look pretty fun.

have they made any noise about an update or whats next?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I ran the Crow Demons mission just now on gold and understanding how the attack works and how to avoid them (run towards them to close the distance then go in circles around them) made every encounter so much more manageable. They can still spear attack you during the crow spam so you need to be careful but it’s a lot less scary now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RaySmuckles posted:

far as i can tell, you'll demolish. try an under developed class you have, or just wreck face until they're geared up for gold

if you can pull them up to play at a higher level, even if they're only half baked, they'll gear up pretty quick and golds not that hard to carry someone

Yeah maybe I'll just carry. I have to carry bonehead players though gold anyway. My Ronin is level 3 though so maybe I'll just throw starter gear on him and we can just play together. Got to say I don't really enjoy the Ronin dog power but it's a support class so whatever.

Also I kind of wish stats displayed healing and damage done. Kills is fine but give the assassins and Ronin some credit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Waroduce posted:

i really hope it's duels. that is my dream expansion for this game, a simple mode with ability to 1v1 fight either another player, or any of the named characters from the game (except sensei ishikawa i guess since he sucks at sword fighting)

there are so many beautiful duel settings that are kind of underused so far i wouldnt be surprised if they do something like that

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, some form of PvP would be awesome.

E: Something like Huttball from SWTOR would be awesome. That PvP mode was stupid fun.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, some form of PvP would be awesome.

E: Something like Huttball from SWTOR would be awesome. That PvP mode was stupid fun.

i didnt play that but i was actually thinking of the duel modes from jedi knight

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

One positive thing I will say about this mess is that there IS Friendly Fire on those arrows, so if someone is clever enough they could probably melt a wave of Oni's with those things.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Played some nightmare survival tonight and, uh, lmao

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Played some nightmare survival tonight and, uh, lmao

Love getting killed while stuck in melee finisher animations

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Waroduce posted:

This is a fantastic piece of DLC and i am deeply appreciative but gold is too god drat long and i wish they randomized the points every match or every other wave honestly. like there are parts of those levels there is no reaso nto go to that look pretty fun.

You think that's bad, on release, Gears 5 had only one option for Horde mode - 50 waves, which takes about 2 hours. Every lower level match I played ended by people getting bored and leaving, and the higher level matches... Getting wiped because someone left.

Apparently they added a shorter version with 12 waves recently, which is much more sane, but I was done with the game long before that.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

All the survival modes should have been 15 rounds, with silver continuing the difficulty as if it was round 16-30 and gold being 31- 45. The later rounds being as if you were doing it with 3 people and you have already lost two points.

(I actually recommend just defending one point and letting the enemies have the rest. It gets amazingly hectic with the sheer amount of enemies you have to fend off at once.)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m having fun with gold still but it’s funny watching it get easier and easier as the population gears up and settles into roles. Also, I think people are realizing that a bunch of Ronin together can be kind of hosed up and OP with bombs, flash bombs, sticky bombs, smoke bombs, etc, my last match was three ronin and a hunter and we absolutely crushed it, the healing stuff and way resolve builds with bomb spam for revives and heals just incredible. Plus with two incense, a healing dog (I finally got that, very enjoyable to have a mobile incense even if it isn’t quite as good), and three revives, the loss in damage from not having the kill multiple enemies ultimates was made up for by nobody dying or instantly rezzing when they did

Like, the last boss wave shows up, and three people just start throwing bombs, stickies, and smoke criticals and they didn’t even make it close to the circle. It was almost trivial but still gold, gotta jump to avoid oni explosions, etc etc

I’ve got a good number of legendaries now too - a sword with the heavenly strike ult and two stances, a fan with some hallucinogenic dirt clod, an immunity charm, and a bow that refunds headshots but the more I bother with stuff the more anything but bombs bombs bombs seems counterproductive

Almost level 30 ronin now and I haven’t tried any of the other classes at all, should probably give Samurai some time to unlock stuff and break some of my bad habits from ronin

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just got a 2nd legendary half bow :negative:

Game plz. Skipping stone. My hunter is dying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hey hunter is broken!

1. Choose explosive arrow.
2. Press down to activate it.
3. Hold L2 (aim), let the shot go off by itself (ghost will fire a bow if held too long)
4. Don’t let go of L2, you now have unlimited explosive arrows (or stun arrows I guess) as long as you don’t stop aiming and don’t get hit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Problems with survival mode aside, Legends is way too much fun to be a one-off free DLC.

But we'll see what happens after Raid mode has been out a while.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh hey hunter is broken!

1. Choose explosive arrow.
2. Press down to activate it.
3. Hold L2 (aim), let the shot go off by itself (ghost will fire a bow if held too long)
4. Don’t let go of L2, you now have unlimited explosive arrows (or stun arrows I guess) as long as you don’t stop aiming and don’t get hit.

Haha this is amazing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got the skipping stone bow while cheating *solemn bow* *plays flute*

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So the glitch doesn't seem to work for me? Odd.

I went through all the bronze missions last night solo and holy gently caress this game added to the game is great. I'm Delphi_Aegis if someone wants to friend me?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Friendly reminder that we have a good PlayStation goons community on Discord, and we have a channel for Ghost of Tsushima (and other games) including roles so you can be pinged if you're interested in finding groups.

If you join and post your name in the game channel, we can also add you to the PlayStation chat group for easier access!

https://discord.gg/9j7ugAb

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

DelphiAegis posted:

So the glitch doesn't seem to work for me? Odd.

I went through all the bronze missions last night solo and holy gently caress this game added to the game is great. I'm Delphi_Aegis if someone wants to friend me?

Glitch was fixed last patch

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm really liking the Assassin the more I've been using it. Even more than my hunter with the skipping stone bow. I'm averaging 250 kills in matchmaking games on Gold and I feel like it holds points much better than the Hunter could because it's really meant to be in the thick of things instead of afar. I also like the utility of the class skill better since it's basically an easy and safe way to help revive downed teammates and an assassination/crit strike. Wish I could get the Assassin charm to drop for him though just so I can get a chain vanish or AoE hallucination which would make him even better.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I have played a little bit of it, mostly Assassin, but I also unlocked Hunter. Apparently Hunter's are the only ones who can get a bomb bag as a ranged weapon, and I hear that one of those with the unique property to be usable by Assassins is a good Assassin weapon, but I haven't found any yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ryuujin posted:

I have played a little bit of it, mostly Assassin, but I also unlocked Hunter. Apparently Hunter's are the only ones who can get a bomb bag as a ranged weapon, and I hear that one of those with the unique property to be usable by Assassins is a good Assassin weapon, but I haven't found any yet.

Ronin are the ones that get bomb bags and one of the talents for them is Assassin unlock. Hunters get Half and Long Bows.

Speaking of Ronin, the apparent go to build for nightmare is to stack up injury resolve gain. It rolls on charms and I think ghost weapons. In addition to that you roll resolve on charm talent and the technique resolve for 5 points total. Essentially you gain resolve so fast you can spam the ultimate endlessly and never die and your team will have essentially regen going all the time as well as the rolling revives. You can still get 1shot by strong oni but between dealing damage and getting hit a couple of times the resolve gain is very noticeable.

To play it EXTRA safe you ideally want the legendary charm that prevents death once every 5 minutes.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 29, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Huh. Then the video I watched about weapons was wrong because it said Hunters. If that is the case then I kind of wish I had unlocked Ronin, though the class seems to be mostly support which doesn't help me playing solo.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ryuujin posted:

Huh. Then the video I watched about weapons was wrong because it said Hunters. If that is the case then I kind of wish I had unlocked Ronin, though the class seems to be mostly support which doesn't help me playing solo.

Yeah the video is wrong. Don't worry, you unlock classes pretty fast, just keep ranking up on your other two classes by doing the Story missions and you'll get there soon enough. With the way Ki works (your items being shared across classes) your new classes will be viable right away, aside from a few unlockable abilities (which are nice, but not vital until Gold/Nightmare).

Trying to play solo, other than Bronze Story, is pointless. It's slower, you don't get any better rewards, and past the intermediate story missions on Silver, it's practically impossible. Let alone Survival. That said Ronin are VERY VERY powerful as fighters, it just takes a bit of planning and the right items (the bombs are particularly important).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 29, 2020

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The bombs are absolutely hilarious as Ronin. I managed to nearly match the killcount of an assassin in a silver survival with them. Though admittedly one of the other people was a hunter using the trick to spam stun arrows so nothing could move anyway. :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm enjoying survival samurai class whatever it is. Just sit on the point doing perfect parries and styling around while the other three clear the other points off. I've got the 30% chance to blast enemies away when you break a guard katana so you sometimes sorry some clown and it blasts everyone on the point it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mercedes posted:

Glitch was fixed last patch

Just tried it out on a game of survival, and the glitch is most definitely NOT fixed. Here's another primer on how to do it (spoiled in case someone doesn't want to see how to use an exploit):

Press Down on the Dpad to start the animation of firing the special arrow
Start holding L2 and don't let go
Don't press R2 yet - wait for the arrow to fire on its own
After the first one fires, you can now fire explosive/stunning arrows as fast as you can press the R2 button (well, as fast as normal arrows anyway)
Find a high place where you can see 2+ defense rings and start firing away. Make sure you have some room to walk back and forth to avoid enemy ranged attacks.

It's powerful, but not altogether game breaking - it can make some earlier waves pretty easy, but if you start relying on it it can mess you up during later waves on gold, especially if your team isn't coordinating well - if you do down you tend to be in an awkward position to be revived. It's fun to play with until they fix it, though.