Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I swear I’m some kind of savant at shooting arrows just right so they bounce off the tiny spearman buckler while its still on their back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Calaveron posted:

Not a huge fan of every single enemy encounter involving archers who just lazily pepper you with arrows while you’re trying to fight off spear dudes and shield dudes and double sword dudes
And I understand what they’re going for with no UI distracting from the game but I feel having the wind blowing loving everywhere and a bright loud golden bird flying circles over your head and a bright orange fox dancing around you is way more distracting than a little hud element pointing you somewhere
Goddamn is Jin delicate. Dude dies to anything and his resolve heals basically nothing

Sounds like you need to deal with those archers first!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Calaveron posted:

Not a huge fan of every single enemy encounter involving archers who just lazily pepper you with arrows while you’re trying to fight off spear dudes and shield dudes and double sword dudes
And I understand what they’re going for with no UI distracting from the game but I feel having the wind blowing loving everywhere and a bright loud golden bird flying circles over your head and a bright orange fox dancing around you is way more distracting than a little hud element pointing you somewhere
Goddamn is Jin delicate. Dude dies to anything and his resolve heals basically nothing

There are charms and armour that improve your healing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShootaBoy posted:

But even more importantly, be kind to birds.

wrong

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Picked the wrong loving time to land, buddy

https://i.imgur.com/FEeKjx2.mp4

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Had the good fortune to find the rare headless crawling Mongol.

Also had a great moment where two bears started attacking a camp as I was engaging the rest of it in a stand off.

Game is good.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
game's pretty

this one is a bit of a spoiler for mid game duels

Calaveron posted:

interesting to hear that cuz i feel like i have way too much health and resolve that i can play incredibly sloppily and still tough it out on hard. hyped for a lethal playthrough

kill all archers first. just sprint right to them and kill them in 1 hit. you can shoot them in the head with arrows the moment the encounter starts too

edit: hmm i gotta find a way to post better quality images. like those red-box expandable ones

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

As regard to the finale talk:

The way I saw it, almost every single major side character's arc is all about how they lost what precious little family they had left, and how it basically destroyed them. Yuna and Taka, Norio and his brother, the entirety of Masako's story, even the Sensei to an extent, with his whole "I saw her as a daughter" bit. If Jin learned anything from those adventures with them, it should be obvious what his choice would be.

also, while ending Shimura after a duel would be the Honorable thing to do, as Jin himself says; "I have no honor."

PRetty much Same

I had my Jin go through the Arc, Samurai at the start then slowly bleeding to ghost by act 3 when I went full ghost. I couldn't see why Jin whose entire rationale was "I wont' throw the lives of people away for Honor" would kill his uncle.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
How long does it take the game to open up? Just picked it up and started moving through the starting area

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
About 20 minutes after booting it up you can go anywhere and do anything in the Act 1 region.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

causticBeet posted:

How long does it take the game to open up? Just picked it up and started moving through the starting area

The first act opens up pretty early for exploration but I’ll recommend doing the early core missions first. Unlocking assassination, the half bow, and getting some good starting gear (samurai clan and ronin armors) will open up the options of how you play the game which will make the subsequent exploration of the act 1 portion of the map much more enjoyable. Not to mention the XP from the missions will give you a good start of technique points and some ghost weapons to play with.

You can see the reward for each mission in the map. Once you get the core stuff out of the way you can then keep on with the story or start knocking out the side missions and liberations.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

As regard to the finale talk:

The way I saw it, almost every single major side character's arc is all about how they lost what precious little family they had left, and how it basically destroyed them. Yuna and Taka, Norio and his brother, the entirety of Masako's story, even the Sensei to an extent, with his whole "I saw her as a daughter" bit. If Jin learned anything from those adventures with them, it should be obvious what his choice would be.

also, while ending Shimura after a duel would be the Honorable thing to do, as Jin himself says; "I have no honor."

He is also all about that incredible self control and restraint. Plus like you said, after experiencing the tragic endings his companions had, I just can't see him slaughtering his only surviving blood family.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Noirex posted:

He is also all about that incredible self control and restraint. Plus like you said, after experiencing the tragic endings his companions had, I just can't see him slaughtering his only surviving blood family.

I thought it made sense. Shimura challenged Jin to the duel and we know that Jin always honours the duel. Shimura believed deeply that failing to get Jin was the end of him. I think it was kind to let uncle go out on his own terms with his honour in tact. I didn't see it as slaughtering him.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

JBP posted:

I thought it made sense. Shimura challenged Jin to the duel and we know that Jin always honours the duel. Shimura believed deeply that failing to get Jin was the end of him. I think it was kind to let uncle go out on his own terms with his honour in tact. I didn't see it as slaughtering him.

I think the mistake was that Shimura still assumed Jin had any honor left at that moment. After constantly berating and exiling him for being 'honor-less', he still expected Jin to act like a Samurai at the end with his request. It's kind of hypocritical. I played Jin as someone who refrained from killing his only family just to follow tradition, and walked away as his own person and as the Ghost. I don't think it's any less tragic, he still lost everything he ever held close to his heart. But either ending works depending on your own journey and how you view the characters I guess.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 2, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Mild spoilers, but not really.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Ending spoilers:

I ended up sparing Shimura as well, mostly because we spent the whole game learning that honor can be dumb, and I don't believe Jin has it in him to kill a family member he loves, even if he asked for it. As Jin said in the sparing ending, he has no honor but he won't kill family. Family is a big deal with all the side character stories and I believe Jin thinks very highly of his own family, and by no longer being a samurai or having to adhere to their dumb honor first policies, I can't see Jin just ganking his uncle like that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ShootaBoy posted:

God I would love to see this as a full ronin wandering Japan thing.

There's a spin-off in the Yakuza series where you play as Musashi in the 1800s.

... It's Japan-only :(

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone found any 'random' encounters similar to in act 1 where you confront the lady samurai by some villagers on a road, and she distracts you be saying "hey go investigate over this cliff" then you turn around and she killed them and you have to fight her?". I thought that was a great little moment and wasn't sure if there were any more like it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Avynte posted:

Has anyone found any 'random' encounters similar to in act 1 where you confront the lady samurai by some villagers on a road, and she distracts you be saying "hey go investigate over this cliff" then you turn around and she killed them and you have to fight her?". I thought that was a great little moment and wasn't sure if there were any more like it.

In act 2 in old Yarikawa there's a guy sitting down that says "hey I recognise you, Lord Sakai" and if you go speak to him he'll lead you over to show you something.
And then attack you with his buddies.

There's absolutely no marker for it at all, just have to hit R2 when the prompt comes up if you decide to actually walk up to this guy calling your name.

I haven't found that act 1 thing!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find that I usually avoid using the ghost weapons and the explosive arrows because they kind of trivialize a lot of encounters. They're basically my "this group is starting to frustrate me" button. I didn't unlock the smoke bomb until last because I assumed it was just a "run away from enemies" thing, but apparently it's also a win button that lets you assassinate everyone caught in it.

One thing I like is how you have to pick up the ghost weapons/arrows and can't just craft them in a menu; they're so powerful that it would be pretty ridiculous if you could.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The ammo disappearing bug is kinda annoying

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ytlaya posted:

I find that I usually avoid using the ghost weapons and the explosive arrows because they kind of trivialize a lot of encounters. They're basically my "this group is starting to frustrate me" button. I didn't unlock the smoke bomb until last because I assumed it was just a "run away from enemies" thing, but apparently it's also a win button that lets you assassinate everyone caught in it.

One thing I like is how you have to pick up the ghost weapons/arrows and can't just craft them in a menu; they're so powerful that it would be pretty ridiculous if you could.

You can also buy them from Trappers but yeah, I kind of agree on the whole "no real crafting system" to them, because all the Ghost Weapons are insanely powerful. One well timed Black Powder Bomb wipes out entire squads on Hard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The ammo disappearing bug is kinda annoying

I don't think I've come across that one. Is it just extra consumption, so it takes 2 arrows away instead of 1? Or is it just that it inexplicably disappears from your inventory?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You can also buy them from Trappers but yeah, I kind of agree on the whole "no real crafting system" to them, because all the Ghost Weapons are insanely powerful. One well timed Black Powder Bomb wipes out entire squads on Hard.

Not an actual weapon in Jin's arsenal. But the hwacha is the BEST for mowing down Mongols.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The latter. I've noticed it mostly with items that you can't carry many of like smoke bombs. Half the time I pull out my smoke bombs I've only got one on me, despite hoovering them up everywhere I go.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't think I've come across that one. Is it just extra consumption, so it takes 2 arrows away instead of 1? Or is it just that it inexplicably disappears from your inventory?

Ammo amount that you are carrying turns into the base capacity. So if you're running around with max arrows it will suddenly be 6 arrows, and it will effect all your weapons.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Bow armor has been the MVP for me in act 2 lethal. I'm on my first playthrough, and the difficulty generally does a good job forcing me to use all my abilities, but jesus christ can you pump out the headshots once that armor's fully upgraded.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some more faffing around in photo mode today.

"You're next."

Trying to do a Bergman shot here. Eh

"Psst... hey, kid. You wanna see a dead Mongol?"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finished the game today, got plat, it’s so good. Playing it on Lethal is the way to go.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just platted it. Art direction was probably the best I've seen in a game, or in the top 3 definitely. It's a bit unbalanced and there wasn't much variety to the missions, combat, or bosses after a certain point but exploration made up for most of that.

Ending spoilers:

I found it odd in Jin's last conversation with Shimura that he's still holding onto this unquestioned assumption that samurai should be in charge. He's like "no, my followers will obey the new samurai that come from the mainland, I'll make sure of it." It's jarring when taken with the (admittedly understated) implication that The Ghost is inspiring the peasantry to look after themselves. It seems obvious at this point that Jin would recognize the feudal social order as being unsuited to threats like the Mongols and therefore obsolete, and it would complete the ideological divide that's steadily been growing between Jin and Shimura throughout the game. I found it weird that the game didn't take that route since it seemed like such a natural place to land. But the final duel was quite enjoyable. I decided to spare Shimura, not because I had any love for the guy but because it seemed like Jin's final refusal of the dumb bushido code. And as others have said, it made sense for Jin to want to keep whatever family he has left considering everyone else in the game has lost their's and been irrevocably broken by it. The red armor looks dope and it's what I would have wanted anyway. During Yuna's side quests I was using blood red Sakai armor and mask so this is even better.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 2, 2020

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Wow. Been avoiding spoilers for the first time in my life and nothing has really got an emotional response from me so far, EXCEPT for this Yuriko quest line, ugh...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Grem posted:

Wow. Been avoiding spoilers for the first time in my life and nothing has really got an emotional response from me so far, EXCEPT for this Yuriko quest line, ugh...

That one was really good. The end was :unsmith:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just platted it. Art direction was probably the best I've seen in a game, or in the top 3 definitely. It's a bit unbalanced and there wasn't much variety to the missions, combat, or bosses after a certain point but exploration made up for most of that.

Ending spoilers:

I found it odd in Jin's last conversation with Shimura that he's still holding onto this unquestioned assumption that samurai should be in charge. He's like "no, my followers will obey the new samurai that come from the mainland, I'll make sure of it." It's jarring when taken with the (admittedly understated) implication that The Ghost is inspiring the peasantry to look after themselves. It seems obvious at this point that Jin would recognize the feudal social order as being unsuited to threats like the Mongols and therefore obsolete, and it would complete the ideological divide that's steadily been growing between Jin and Shimura throughout the game. I found it weird that the game didn't take that route since it seemed like such a natural place to land. But the final duel was quite enjoyable. I decided to spare Shimura, not because I had any love for the guy but because it seemed like Jin's final refusal of the dumb bushido code. And as others have said, it made sense for Jin to want to keep whatever family he has left considering everyone else in the game has lost their's and been irrevocably broken by it. The red armor looks dope and it's what I would have wanted anyway. During Yuna's side quests I was using blood red Sakai armor and mask so this is even better.

I think the idea is that Jin has been so single-mindedly focused on driving off the Mongols that he never even considered the implications of his actions with regards to the legitimacy of the Shogunate.When Shimura brings it up it seems like Jin starts hastily making up excuses because it hadn't even occured to him that encouraging the peasants to fight the mongols would give them the confidence to challenge any other system of power that they considered illegitimate. I think given a little more time to think on it Jin might have been fine with it but as I said, he was taken off guard by the suggestion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bland posted:

I think the idea is that Jin has been so single-mindedly focused on driving off the Mongols that he never even considered the implications of his actions with regards to the legitimacy of the Shogunate.When Shimura brings it up it seems like Jin starts hastily making up excuses because it hadn't even occured to him that encouraging the peasants to fight the mongols would give them the confidence to challenge any other system of power that they considered illegitimate. I think given a little more time to think on it Jin might have been fine with it but as I said, he was taken off guard by the suggestion.

I agree. His goal is to get the Mongols off the island before his uncle wipes out all the samurai by repeatedly throwing them into the samurai shredder. I don't think "hey, this is a highly effective and extremely adaptable method of warfare that will surely be picked up by the peasant class to defy the ruling order" ever even crosses his mind.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

But even more importantly, be kind to birds.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Ending spoilers:

I found it odd in Jin's last conversation with Shimura that he's still holding onto this unquestioned assumption that samurai should be in charge. He's like "no, my followers will obey the new samurai that come from the mainland, I'll make sure of it." It's jarring when taken with the (admittedly understated) implication that The Ghost is inspiring the peasantry to look after themselves. It seems obvious at this point that Jin would recognize the feudal social order as being unsuited to threats like the Mongols and therefore obsolete, and it would complete the ideological divide that's steadily been growing between Jin and Shimura throughout the game.

An important note is you're looking from you own viewpoint. Jin is a true believer, both in his uncle and in the samurai. Think back to Yuna act 2 missions. Jin keeps going on about how Shimura will for sure give her the passage to Japan. The instant she and Shimura meet they hate each other and not only does Jin not notice but even if he did he wouldn't understand why.

He does go off on his uncle on things changing, bit that's more of a tactics than a society thing.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

im high af rn

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I read a while back that you shouldn’t complete all the duels prior to the Last mission or it would break the story(?) somehow. Can anyone elaborate on that without spoiling anything? Or am I ok to complete the duels as I see fit?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

You get a trophy for completing all duels, but there is a story based duel that will be your last one if you finish the other duels first.

The trophy has a kinda dumb jokey title like most trophies. A poster suggested it was jarring to have that pop up considering the tone of that specific duel’s aftermath. But I dunno didn’t bother me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gin_Rummy posted:

I read a while back that you shouldn’t complete all the duels prior to the Last mission or it would break the story(?) somehow. Can anyone elaborate on that without spoiling anything? Or am I ok to complete the duels as I see fit?

There is/was widespread reporting of “progressing things can bug your missions and lock you out of content” because people don’t get that sometimes side-missions are locked out temporarily because of where you are in the story. It makes total sense that you can’t go and see certain people in certain places at certain times.

Everything is doable post or pre finale, entirely up to you. I knocked out everything bar one side quest that I couldn’t find until after I was done and a handful of leftover mongol camps in Act 3, otherwise every single duel was done on the way through as soon as they became available.

I don’t see why you’d want to wait til after the last mission because the reward from completing the main 5 isn’t that interesting if you only get it in the post-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a section at the start of Act 3 wherein you can't travel back to other parts of Tsushima, but your main goal at that point is to open up a path through which Jin can travel back to other parts of Tsushima so that kinda resolves itself after a while.