Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

something that's happening on my save is that several of some of the character tales are available at once, but I've been careful to do them in order in case doing otherwise would break anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

grieving for Gandalf posted:

something that's happening on my save is that several of some of the character tales are available at once, but I've been careful to do them in order in case doing otherwise would break anything

Certain new tales become available after you’ve increased your legend status enough, that includes the side character tales. I don’t think doing them out of order is too terrible or anything though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Certain new tales become available after you’ve increased your legend status enough, that includes the side character tales. I don’t think doing them out of order is too terrible or anything though.

are you sure? something like Masako Tale #5, 6, 7 and 8 or 9 all unlocked at once, I'm not near my PS4 right now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's based on when you do the previous step in the quest chain I think. For example I had Masako #5-7 available as soon as I entered Act 2, but I imagine someone who didn't do Masako #4 during Act 1 would have to go back and do it first before the next unlock.

imo they were pretty smart about it. Each sidequest chain seems to unlock a few at a time which you can do in any order, and doing all of those unlocks one final quest for the region where the character says "I'm moving on, I'll see you in the next act" at the end of it.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

threelemmings posted:

An important note is you're looking from you own viewpoint. Jin is a true believer, both in his uncle and in the samurai. Think back to Yuna act 2 missions. Jin keeps going on about how Shimura will for sure give her the passage to Japan. The instant she and Shimura meet they hate each other and not only does Jin not notice but even if he did he wouldn't understand why.

He does go off on his uncle on things changing, bit that's more of a tactics than a society thing.

Agreed, I never got the impression Jin was developing down the path of some kind of hero for the proletariat. A lot of the side commentary was always 'boy this poison / dishonorable tactic sure sucks, can't wait for these mongols to be gone so things can return to normal. Even all the interactions with peasants are the classic "benevolent samurai lord" who wants to protect his people but isn't shy about dishing out his own justice. Which imo is exactly as one would expect for his background.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This is a really good video game to me. I hope they embrace that with the horse in the inevitable sequel. I'm tired of getting off my horse jumping off a cliff dodge rolling at the last second taking zero fall damage and then magically summoning my horse.

Just let Nobu dodge roll please.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are you sure? something like Masako Tale #5, 6, 7 and 8 or 9 all unlocked at once, I'm not near my PS4 right now

It’s because they all stand alone even though they’re connected, so you can do those in any order because they don’t impact each other.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the face capture in this game a lot, it feels like real next-level stuff sometimes. (End of Act 2 spoiler) When Jin is telling Shimura "I am not your son, I am the ghost" his lip is trembling just the same as when he was tied up and being confronted by the Khan himself not a few hours prior. Jin is a very, very good protagonist. He feels fear, uncertainty and doubt just like anyone would in his situation. I'm tired of open world protagonists that are a blank slate player insert. Give me more Wei Shens, more Geralts, more Jin Sakais.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

CJacobs posted:

I like the face capture in this game a lot, it feels like real next-level stuff sometimes. (End of Act 2 spoiler) When Jin is telling Shimura "I am not your son, I am the ghost" his lip is trembling just the same as when he was tied up and being confronted by the Khan himself not a few hours prior. Jin is a very, very good protagonist. He feels fear, uncertainty and doubt just like anyone would in his situation. I'm tired of open world protagonists that are a blank slate player insert. Give me more Wei Shens, more Geralts, more Jin Sakais.

Going on this, one complaint I’ve seen with this game is how there isn’t any kind of Morality System, like you could have played it “Honourably” and maybe changed the story/ending, but that totally misses the point of this game. Jin’s entire arc is coming to terms with how far honour can get you against a brutal enemy, the pressures of being his people’s last hope, arguing the value of honour and titles vs. innocent lives, etc.

I think too many people are used to having open world protagonists being kind of a blank state, almost a self insert. Jin is very much his own character, that can and will have different motivations from the players.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Complaining about no morality system sends a shiver down my spine.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
The finale to the Yarikawa quest in Act 2 is one of my favorite things ever

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I took all of these screenshots during the finale, you get to do a lot in that mission.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A lot of the duels and showdowns are super cool and cinematic to look at, but jeez the timing of button presses can be frustrating. You can't simply hit dodge or parry when you see the color flash, you have to anticipate when the attack would actually land. Which sometimes is right the hell now and sometimes is as much as 2 or 3 seconds from now. And failing to guess right often means you just lost a hell of a lot of HP or got killed outright. Not to mention the guys who sometimes just stand there for a good 15-20 seconds during a showdown waiting for you to get bored, or camera angles betraying you so you can't even see when the attack is coming.

Sometimes makes me want to say screw it and ghost these guys to death despite this sweet Sakai armor.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Playing on lethal has made me hate on the spear fucks more than ever before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Playing on lethal has made me hate on the spear fucks more than ever before.

You can literally auto-attack through their moves if you just buy the skillpoint.

One thing that I haven’t seen too many people talking about is that Dance of Wrath absolutely breaks every duel in the game. The ai is not designed to handle it. Last night in a Duel I Danced, connected the first hit, immediately initiated the blade lock mid fight animation, and then afterwards my Dance FINISHED ITSELF and the other two strokes killed the guy. I noticed it on Hard, and if anything it’s more effective on Lethal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

You can literally auto-attack through their moves if you just buy the skillpoint.

Ain’t made it that far yet on the skill tree

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing that I haven’t seen too many people talking about is that Dance of Wrath absolutely breaks every duel in the game. The ai is not designed to handle it. Last night in a Duel I Danced, connected the first hit, immediately initiated the blade lock mid fight animation, and then afterwards my Dance FINISHED ITSELF and the other two strokes killed the guy. I noticed it on Hard, and if anything it’s more effective on Lethal.

You think that's good try combining it with Ghost Stance.

I won the duel against the Khan in about 10 seconds by using my 3 Ghost Stance hits then doing 2 back to back Dance of Wraths.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Its worth going into the wind stance tree early just because the spear guys are that drat annoying. Once you have maxed out wind stance any and all spear guys are a joke, though that's kind of the same deal with max water stance vs shield guys and any moon stance at all vs brutes. Somehow it's the sword guys who always remain at least a little threatening, since tougher ones tend to dodge out of the way of the 2nd and 3rd pokes rather than eat your full combo once you start it like with the other stances.

The other reason to max out wind stance early is so you can use Sweet Chin Music to launch dudes off of cliffs. It never gets old.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I would recommend getting to the perfect dodge ASAP because it helps deal with unblockable attacks and looks badass.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Agreed, perfectly sidestepping a haymaker to poke them in the belly with the tip of your Katana is the best animation in the game

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I am unreasonably annoyed the merchant doesn't sell white dye for the ghost armor considering how much more sense it would make to use that during act 3.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

WaltherFeng posted:

Complaining about no morality system sends a shiver down my spine.

I legit cannot understand people that want that. Like when has a morality system ever amounted to more than "max out one side as fast as possible to get its ultimate ability." Even in SP's other games that's all the morality was, and its boring as hell. There's never any bonuses or even minor positives for trying to stay neutral on the scale, or god forbid move from one end to the other.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Okay so apparently it’s using a hot spring that dumps half your ammo. Good to know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lord Shimura: Jin, how many times have I told you, using toilet paper after you go to the bathroom is against the samurai code. If you stay on this path, you will be lost. Do not do this, I know you have good inside of you... now stop wiping your rear end.

Jin: no, uncle. i WILL wipe my rear end

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Just wanna say a big ol RIP to our loyal friend now resting in the endless forest. Biggest loss of the story.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Stroth posted:

Okay so apparently it’s using a hot spring that dumps half your ammo. Good to know.

Oh it's more than that. You'll lose your ammo all the time :(

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Magus42 posted:

Oh it's more than that. You'll lose your ammo all the time :(

So far people have found it while:
-Using hot springs
- Fast traveling
- Completing missions

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
After the ends of the Masako and Norio quest lines, I was not expecting Ishikawa's to actually be somewhat upbeat. After the second to last mission I was 100% sure either Tomoe or Ishikawa was going to kill the other. (Speaking of, that mission was great, it was obvious she was Tomoe so the developers threw in all those ominous lines about traps to make you nervous.)

I especially like the bait and switch of Norio's final quest. No fun gameplay, just empty revenge.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 3, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the fully upgraded sakai mail is cash money

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

red sakai armor is incredible

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Red Sakai armor, black Sakai mask.

Challenge me irl

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sonel posted:

So far people have found it while:
-Using hot springs
- Fast traveling
- Completing missions

Heh, suckers. I never do any of those things.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can’t lose your ammo if you use it so much you’re always at 0

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
haha poison darts go thwip thwip

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Man, I've been putting off finishing Act 2 for a while now, but I think I need to press on with it. I want to leave myself plenty of stuff to do in the postgame, but I'm just having too much fun wandering around the island finding hidden things and getting in adventures.

I do already have the Sakai armor and katana fully upgraded, so I should be in pretty good shape to move on.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ShootaBoy posted:

I legit cannot understand people that want that. Like when has a morality system ever amounted to more than "max out one side as fast as possible to get its ultimate ability." Even in SP's other games that's all the morality was, and its boring as hell. There's never any bonuses or even minor positives for trying to stay neutral on the scale, or god forbid move from one end to the other.

I don't really want a full morality system at all at least as far as I understand what exactly you mean by morality system. But the way that the use of poison is just hamfistedly jammed down our throats I feel that there could have been a couple points in the game could have had critical choices that slightly altered the endings.

Like, Dishonored 2 had a morality system that had slight gameplay effects and different endings. This whole thing where you either stay true to your code or abandon it could have had interesting effects while not really changing the story all that much. In think it would have worked wonders here to have something similar.

But otherwise no, a paragon/renegade or samurai/ghost scale that locks conversation options and endings is not a good choice. All this said, I'm still cool with the story as is. I think it's very well done. In a perfect world I'd have preferred more agency over the critical choice the PC makes that basically seals his destiny.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I actually liked the way Infamous games had good/evil powers because they were different enough to make the games worth playing twice.

Tsushima has too much side stuff for that though.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I'd rather not have a morality system poison any more games that I like. Choices with consequences are fine and NPCs reacting to choices I make based on thier morality is fine.

The issue with most morality systems is, that to unlock the best stuff you have to go entirely in one direction so the game punishes you if you want a character that doesn't fit one extreme or the other.

I should be able to have just as many options playing a character who walks the line between good and evil, as one who is entirely good or entirely evil and no morality system I've played has nailed that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like Jin because he makes decisions I wouldn’t make but still acts like someone I want to root for and respect. He is his own man and I appreciate that this isn’t an RPG.

Also Ishikawa 8/9 Tommoe just straight up offering to bang you after ha gong out for a couple hours even though you’ve been trying to kill each other for like 2 weeks seems extremely forced and is the only part of the game I consider badly written, even if it does make Jin look more principled than Geralt of Rivia, who absolutely would havecollected her trading card.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 3, 2020