Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

After (endgame spoilers) the duel with the Khan and his weird moveset the final duel against Shimura was cake by comparison. Which I almost feel might have been intentional, since his heart probably wasn’t exactly in killing his adopted son. I ended up letting him live figuring I would go back and kill him on a save later but the exchange between them after was pretty perfect so I kind of don’t want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RaySmuckles posted:

i bumped up to hard too, when i usually start at normal. the combat is basically as easy as you want it to be. if you use arrows, tools, stealth, the right armor, and/or the right charms then there is virtually no challenge (except maybe duels). in a way that's kinda cool because you're actively controlling the difficulty, but it sucks because there's nothing to push against and all your constraints are essentially artificial

just find what you think is fun for you

I do depend on weapons and some armor boosts for sure. I was thinking about it some more, and I feel like one of the differences from combat games I've played before is that it depends on a limited set of stances and weapons that generally behave similarly to one another, rather than a whole bunch of distinct attack combos. It's working a lot better for my brain to quickly react to a handful of situation triggers rather than having to remember a whole new technique for each one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

(Act 2 spoilers)The minute Taka followed me to Ryuzo's camp I thought "ah, hell" and sure enough my assumption was right.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Endgame: After the final duel, I chose to spare Shimura because that fit so much better with who Jin ended up becoming. He's not bound by honor but he's also not just a heartless killing machine either, despite being super good at it. Also Uncle Shimmy may be lawful stupid but he's a decent guy and almost certainly a better peacetime leader than what the island would end up with if he died suddenly.

So afterwards in the Bat Cave Ghost Hut (which is hilariously close to Omi) why is Shimura's armor on display? Shouldn't it be the Sakai armor? Maybe the game bugged out on me a bit and set a story flag wrong. The conversation with Yuna indicated that Shimura was alive, at least.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Bust Rodd posted:

Uhm I disagree, i thought Jin and Masako and Ishikawa were actually really cool and expressive and Shimura, particularly the ending were like really really well done, at least compared to HZD or the Witcher. Not as good as TLoU2, but thats to be expected. I found the mocap for the facial animations to be impressive TBH

huh, ok maybe I just need to keep giving it an open mind. I'm still pretty early on, good to hear you like the ending and yea I wouldn't hold anything up to TLoU2 standards for faces.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I suppose I should check this thread out instead of just posting in the general game likes/dislikes threads. How difficult are folks finding this in general? Because I switched over to hard mode after feeling pretty competent in general* on medium, something that I think is literally unprecedented on account of me being very bad at games. Is it just on the easier end of skill-based combat games?

*except for duels, I still haven't beat a duel on anything other than easy, aside from the very first one :sweatdrop:

Whenever I start feeling like I've got the combat down I'll block instead of sweep and get killed by a group of 3 random bandits. I'd appreciate some kind of practice mode for working on perfect parries too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think I've won the game

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I do hate it when you clearly dodge an attack and the enemy just slides across the ground so they can hit you anyways.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you locked out of any side quests if you finish the main story? Should I do everything before finishing it?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Romes128 posted:

Are you locked out of any side quests if you finish the main story? Should I do everything before finishing it?

No, you'll be fine.

Bussamove posted:

After (endgame spoilers) the duel with the Khan and his weird moveset the final duel against Shimura was cake by comparison.

I found it the opposite. The Khan was easy - just keep your distance until he's done spinning and then wail on him. Shimura relies more on parrying and dodging, which even at the very end of the game I still don't understand the timing of at all.

e: Goddamnit I was on the wrong stance.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 6, 2020

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does anyone know of a good, current SA thread on samurai/ninja flicks? I'm not seeing one in CD.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok just got my Platinum, what an excellent time! The absolute perfect game to cap off the summer with. I’m gonna sort through all the awesome pix and vids I took and if any of the bugs are as funny as I remember I will post them.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

MrMojok posted:

Does anyone know of a good, current SA thread on samurai/ninja flicks? I'm not seeing one in CD.

I don't think there is one, I went looking several days ago and closest I found was the half dead thread for chinese kung fu films.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There's no NG+ right? I could totally see myself replaying this but I went through alot of trouble for all these hats!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I love the game so much, but I'm already dreading replaying it due to the lack of skipping cutscenes :sweatdrop:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm bummed that there's no NG+ if only because I want to wear the fundoshi everywhere and look extremely silly in cutscenes.

The game wouldn't even let me wear it during the final fight! What a waste.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see my uncle still mad about me being Samurai Batman.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

WaltherFeng posted:

There's no NG+ right? I could totally see myself replaying this but I went through alot of trouble for all these hats!

Not yet. I hope they add one.

Even if they don't let you carry over skills or stances, having the full cosmetic range from the start would be fun

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

End spoilers:

I made the decision to honor his wish and kill him. Then I reloaded and spared him. I like the white armor better, but I think I'm going to finish up getting platinum on the save where I spared him, I liked that ending better.

Despite not liking the third act as much as the previous 2, this is one of the best games I've played.

Apparently I really like 3rd person open world games, because Spider-Man, HZD, GoW, and RDR2 are all up there too.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 6, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

With the 1.06 patch, I get a cute little firefly to help me find nearby artifacts and the controller pulses in sync with it lighting up :3:

Yes I'm still running around collecting things after getting plat, what of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Does the upgraded Traveler's Outfit let you pick which collectibles it helps you find, or does it just lead you to "something"? I haven't really touched it since I need my battle armor and sneaking suit, and the upgrades eat up so many resources.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Does the upgraded Traveler's Outfit let you pick which collectibles it helps you find, or does it just lead you to "something"? I haven't really touched it since I need my battle armor and sneaking suit, and the upgrades eat up so many resources.

You have to set the wind to what you want and it’ll lead you to the closest one.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

The controller vibrates near all the trackable artifacts but if you want the guiding wind you select the specific category from the map screen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, I've used the guiding wind already for big stuff. I was thinking you could eventually use it for small collectibles but it sounds like they just get the general controller vibration?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah, I've used the guiding wind already for big stuff. I was thinking you could eventually use it for small collectibles but it sounds like they just get the general controller vibration?

You can, and it does both. If you use it to look for records, for example, winds will guide you to the general area of the item, and then it's a bit of a Hot/Cold game to follow where the vibration gets strongest to find the item itself. The only difference is there's not a big popup on screen when you get close to a collectible, and no icon gets added to the map.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh good, so it is more useful after all. Thanks :tipshat:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Crappy Jack posted:

You can, and it does both. If you use it to look for records, for example, winds will guide you to the general area of the item, and then it's a bit of a Hot/Cold game to follow where the vibration gets strongest to find the item itself. The only difference is there's not a big popup on screen when you get close to a collectible, and no icon gets added to the map.

The new patch added a helpful firefly friend for artifacts, records, and banners, which is nice. :3:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dewgy posted:

The new patch added a helpful firefly friend for artifacts, records, and banners, which is nice. :3:

Jin Sekai: Disney Princess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

While wandering around, I encountered a random Mongol patrol near a forest fire. One of the guys walked too close and started yelling in pain as he went ablaze. I thought to myself, no, that couldn't possibly work, could it?

So, for the sake of science, I threw some firecrackers into the middle of the forest fire.

Findings: It totally fuckin' worked.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One time I whistled and my horse proceeded to run through a fire and was set ablaze. It then ran away from me for a while, even though it was not my fault!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I've definitely been hiding in the bushes in a fort and watched a Mongol just casually walk into his own campfire and die

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I'm on the second tale right now to get the assassination skill, after this should I just go ham clearing camps and stuff or do a few more tales? i'm feeling very underpowered atm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I make Jin jump through fires at every possible opportunity to strengthen him. Sadly I found one later in the game that I was hoping to stealth through to sneak behind some guys. Sadly even Jin's highly toughened skin could not save him :rip:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frog Act posted:

so I'm on the second tale right now to get the assassination skill, after this should I just go ham clearing camps and stuff or do a few more tales? i'm feeling very underpowered atm

I think some of the most important things to pick up early are the abilities to do perfect parries and the abilities that let you parry certain spear/sword attacks (IIRC some spear attacks originally can't be blocked at all, but after unlocking a skill all of them can be parried; I remember guys doing red spear attacks being a problem really early on).

One way to make things easier in the early game is to also do Masako's early quest(s) to get the Samurai Clan Armor, which is a strong defensive armor.

Generally speaking, sneaking around isn't nearly as important in this game as in many other open world things. The only time it's somewhat necessary is when there are enemy hostages (or the mission flat-out requires that you not be seen, which isn't that common). Though even in those cases it's usually possible to kill everyone who tries to kill the hostage.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think some of the most important things to pick up early are the abilities to do perfect parries and the abilities that let you parry certain spear/sword attacks (IIRC some spear attacks originally can't be blocked at all, but after unlocking a skill all of them can be parried; I remember guys doing red spear attacks being a problem really early on).

One way to make things easier in the early game is to also do Masako's early quest(s) to get the Samurai Clan Armor, which is a strong defensive armor.

Generally speaking, sneaking around isn't nearly as important in this game as in many other open world things. The only time it's somewhat necessary is when there are enemy hostages (or the mission flat-out requires that you not be seen, which isn't that common). Though even in those cases it's usually possible to kill everyone who tries to kill the hostage.

hell yeah. I hate sneaking but I love slicing dudes up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for those and hopefully this tale will give me the exp to unlock the perfect parry, cus I used my finely honed dark souls instincts to pick the roll ability as my first one

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

An important thing early on is to get up to at least Wind Stance so you can more easily deal with spear guys. Look for Mongol-held camps, sneak in, and observe the leader (look for the guy with gold armor and a full helmet, get close, hold R2). This will get you a point towards the next stance. Then kill him for another stance point. If you get spotted or the leader is in a position that makes him impossible to safely observe, just take him out. Observing just lets you get some extra credit so you get the stances faster.

A bit of warning though, very early on those base leaders can be really hard to fight between having higher than normal HP and more complex combos than generic Mongol soldiers. Don't be afraid to fight dirty, like luring him under a brazier and shooting it to set him on fire.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Regarding sneaking vs attacking, I went into the game expecting to play it like a standard stealth game, upgrading ghost powers primarily at first... was surprised to see just how much I enjoyed the normal combat, so I started dumping points into stances and such and barely ever did stealth after that.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And in the big ones they're spread out enough that even if you slaughtered a bunch in open combat there would be clumps of them standing around oblivious not far away.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have mastered the way of the bow and cleared out most camps in A3 without ever stepping foot in them. The Concentration and Headshot refund charms are just as OP as everything else.

As for Khan in A3, I went in with a 100% terror build and the boss fight was so cool because I feel like I literally scared him to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

After (endgame spoilers) the duel with the Khan and his weird moveset the final duel against Shimura was cake by comparison. Which I almost feel might have been intentional, since his heart probably wasn’t exactly in killing his adopted son. I ended up letting him live figuring I would go back and kill him on a save later but the exchange between them after was pretty perfect so I kind of don’t want to.

I don’t think the duel with Shimura is supposed to be hard as much as it’s supposed to be emotional.