Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Capn Beeb posted:

I was just using kunai on them for a while :unsmigghh:

Sometimes I get on my horse and ride them all down which feels very brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
In case anybody is wondering from the description of the Lethal difficulty: it doesn't actually make Jin die in one hit from anything, it just increases the difficulty one level higher than hard.

As my in-game arsenal has increased I've had to continually pump up the difficulty. This is one of the few games where I'm starting to think "Jeez, my character is way too strong."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Casey Finnigan posted:

In case anybody is wondering from the description of the Lethal difficulty: it doesn't actually make Jin die in one hit from anything, it just increases the difficulty one level higher than hard.

As my in-game arsenal has increased I've had to continually pump up the difficulty. This is one of the few games where I'm starting to think "Jeez, my character is way too strong."

It also increases damage done to enemies, which makes it unique compared to other difficulties.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know it sounds like a convenient excuse not to git gud but I don't want to play on Lethal because the enemies can die so quickly, not because I will. I like being able to combo enemies. It's not their total overall hitpoints that bug me or seem tedious it's needing to get through their guard first.

That said, I might still try Lethal but not until I do more of the game on Hard and maybe after waiting to see if Sucker Punch adds NG+.

Edit: That reminds me, I guess I should ask: what's the best Stagger build? I'm only partway through Act 2 so no story spoilers please but names of charms and equipment don't bother me. I have Gosaku's armour, although at the moment I'm using the Sakai armour for its look. That armour with Lord of the Night dye, using one of the middle upgrades, plus the Thief Mask, makes me feel like Batman Shredder.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 8, 2020

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Jin! Terror is not the way of the samurai. Why are we wearing these dope scary masks for then?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At first I was kinda cool on the game because it felt kinda generic and slow paced and Jin felt too weak and I didn't like the wind mechanic very much but after starting to get my toolkit and seeing what options I had to clear up camps and groups of Mongols I completely changed my opinion. This game is loving fantastic and I love how I can either ghost around thinning a camp before just chucking a black powder bomb to start an encounter with severely weakened enemies like a master ninja or just stroll into a fortress and start a stand off to get a massive boost of resolve and then just dance around every enemy heavenly striking them down like a walking blender, and if I start to get overwhelmed I can just chuck a plastic explosive to take down a group of enemies.
Plus the game is real pretty and the music is incredible.

I'd loving hate to live in Tsushima though, the wind just blows all over the place carrying like pollen and hay and stuff. It'd be hell on my allergies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

I'd loving hate to live in Tsushima though, the wind just blows all over the place carrying like pollen and hay and stuff. It'd be hell on my allergies.

... uh if you grew up on tsushima you probably wouldnt be allergic to the local flora... that's sort of how evolution worked for the first 99% of history before we invented, among other things, air conditioning.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like to imaging living there as one of the peasants, just wondering what the hell is going on with the wind now. Like, you set up a tent to get out of a thunderstorm, then Jin switches objectives and suddenly the rain and hail is just flying in through the flaps :argh:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really wish there was a heavy fog song. I would have played it every time I felt like stealthing an outpost.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Japanese local governments are always obsessed with boosting tourism through city mascots and such (not that they're alone in this) and being the mayor of Tsushima right now where a huge triple AAA game tearing up the Japanese and American charts showcasing your islands natural beauty and historical importance just falls into your lap at the exact time that a pandemic makes it so that nobody's really permitted to travel must be a level of frustration I could only dream of experiencing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gently caress duels on hard

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Japanese local governments are always obsessed with boosting tourism through city mascots and such (not that they're alone in this) and being the mayor of Tsushima right now where a huge triple AAA game tearing up the Japanese and American charts showcasing your islands natural beauty and historical importance just falls into your lap at the exact time that a pandemic makes it so that nobody's really permitted to travel must be a level of frustration I could only dream of experiencing.

Calling all tourists! Come to Tsushima and die with honor!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

blue squares posted:

Duels on hard are actually so fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

blue squares posted:

Don't doxx my love life :mad:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I don’t find failing 15 times fun

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

blue squares posted:

I don’t find failing 15 times fun

For me the last Tengu duel before the longbow was an order of magnitude harder than every other duel, at any point in the game. The 5 kenshin, the big duels at the end, the final boss fights... nothing even close to 40 minutes I spent on Tengu dude during the drug trip sequence

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

blue squares posted:

mikeraskol posted:

I've been playing on hard, and every time I do a duel and get to my dozenth or so try, I'm torn between saying gently caress it and lowering the difficulty or powering through. So far I've been successful eventually with the latter strategy, but we'll see how far through the game that takes me (still mid Act 1). It is giving me a lot of practice with getting the parry timing right, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao you can hit hawks with sticky bombs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What are people's thoughts on weapon selection? I appreciate that the game avoids having a big ol' weapon wheel in the middle of the screen but what's good about a wheel is being able to go from one weapon directly to another. For the weapons in this game accessible through L2 there is almost a sub-menu because you first have to select the class of weapon and then your "ammo" type.

Although maybe I just need to get better at doing a quick 1-2 press of the direction button then face button but I know from stance switching the game isn't great for fast menu inputs. Seems like the game needs the animation of the weapon/stance menu to fully rise up before registering inputs properly?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i constantly eat poo poo during stance switches, it's probably my biggest sticking point with the combat

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

What are people's thoughts on weapon selection? I appreciate that the game avoids having a big ol' weapon wheel in the middle of the screen but what's good about a wheel is being able to go from one weapon directly to another. For the weapons in this game accessible through L2 there is almost a sub-menu because you first have to select the class of weapon and then your "ammo" type.

Although maybe I just need to get better at doing a quick 1-2 press of the direction button then face button but I know from stance switching the game isn't great for fast menu inputs. Seems like the game needs the animation of the weapon/stance menu to fully rise up before registering inputs properly?

I was surprised to find that it clicks pretty well for me. The slight delay sometimes fucks me over when trying to do two things (e.g. switching bow and arrow type), but I generally find that the brief time slowdown is enough to get me through whatever I want to do (counterintuitively, if I'm not hurrying too much).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was surprised to find that it clicks pretty well for me. The slight delay sometimes fucks me over when trying to do two things (e.g. switching bow and arrow type), but I generally find that the brief time slowdown is enough to get me through whatever I want to do (counterintuitively, if I'm not hurrying too much).

The time slowdown would help but I started the game on Hard and I don't think there is any.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Stance switching is fine but having to take your thumb off the left stick and navigate a separate menu for ammunition type wasn't great. I'm pretty sure a traditional weapon wheel like HZD would have felt better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I grow ever more pleased with my choice of outfit (spoilered for late-game duel just in case, but nothing surprising).

e: then it takes my outfit just when I need it the most :arghfist::smith:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 8, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm approaching the endgame and it's been very enjoyable but I do wonder what the game would have been like if it wasn't open world. The biggest emotional scenes are still pretty good but they feel undermined by Jin then returning to 'default Jin'. It feels like Act 3 Jin should be a significantly different person from Act 1 Jin (ESPECIALLY after the act 2 climax) but it still feels like he's just equivocating about dipping into dishonor when he should really be swimming in it. Stuff like his speech to (act 3 sidequest spoiler) Norio at the end of Norio's tale feel a little off when chronologically Jin did much worse for much the same reasons only a few days ago and had no problem with it.

I wonder if the game's story would have hit better if it was structured more like Metal Gear Solid 3 or something, with large play-areas connected by smaller corridor-style connective tissue you gradually advanced through with the occasional big setpiece, so Jin could have a real tragic arc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sindai posted:

Stance switching is fine but having to take your thumb off the left stick and navigate a separate menu for ammunition type wasn't great. I'm pretty sure a traditional weapon wheel like HZD would have felt better.

If I could re-do the weapon and tool controls I'd do the double-tap method of using the same button twice for different selections.

L2+Square (x1 and x2) - Short Bow regular, Flaming Arrow
L2+Triangle - Longbow Heavy Arrow, Explosive Arrow
L2+Circle - Poison Dart, Hallucination Dart
L2+X - Wind Chime, Firecracker
R2+D-pad down, up, right - Smoke Bomb, Sticky Bomb, Black Powder Bomb
R1 x2 anytime - Kunai (thinking of Arkham's Batarangs here)

For the R2+D-pad inputs I'm thinking it'd be handy to press once to select or double-tap for instant fire since I'd love if Smoke Bomb especially were faster to access in a pinch like in some Assassin's Creed games but maybe double-tap having two different meanings between L2 and R2 would be confusing. Having the two kinds of R2 selections could be nice though if it meant all three of those weapons had both a quickfire and close-range/at-your-feet version and an aimable, throwable version.

I also would have put Call Horse as a swipe gesture so it's easier to do that while moving and put the Flute in its place on the d-pad.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Nagasaki Prefecture's tourism division has a whole webpage about Ghost of Tsushima and how it ties in with the area's real history and locations

https://www.nagasaki-tabinet.com/nagasaki-tabinet/statics/ghost_of_tsushima/en/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

Nagasaki Prefecture's tourism division has a whole webpage about Ghost of Tsushima and how it ties in with the area's real history and locations

https://www.nagasaki-tabinet.com/nagasaki-tabinet/statics/ghost_of_tsushima/en/

Huh, well now I feel dumb. I never bothered to look it up, I just assumed it was a made-up island that was probably just a parallel inspired by an actual place.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Based on Google Maps they changed almost everything except the shape.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MAXIMUM TERROR.

The hero Tsushima needs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fuzz posted:

MAXIMUM TERROR.

The hero Tsushima needs.

*stumbles and falls over backwards* No! NOOOOO!!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Holy jumping, I'm watching the Birds of Prey movie and Ishikawa is in it. I recognized the voice first because he's dressed, well, not like a samurai.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kinda dumb and annoying that the legend meter still shows up in slow motion after you've bought all the techniques and are the official Ghost of Tsushima™

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I finished the game. It was really good, though it kind of bugged me that the story basically went out of its way to partially vindicate Shimura's perspective by having the Mongols somehow figure out and use Jin's poison. There's not really any actual moral ambiguity here, so it's goofy that it tried to justify the stance that there's an actual benefit to the Samurai combat doctrine.

The latter part of the fight with the Khan was really funny. I just shot him in the face with exploding arrows a bunch.

Sindai posted:

Yeah, I would often get wrecked because I tried to switch to throwing a bomb during combat.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lobok posted:

Holy jumping, I'm watching the Birds of Prey movie and Ishikawa is in it. I recognized the voice first because he's dressed, well, not like a samurai.

Francois Chau also plays Jules-Pierre Mao in The Expanse, where he also looks decidedly un-samurai-ish

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Pro-tip for anyone in acts 2/3: you will end up with WAY more iron than you can use. Sell what you can for supplies to get upgrades sooner. I had almost 300 excess iron by the time I finished the game, which works out to ~4k supplies. If you focus your upgrades on specific armor and/or don't use the bows much this also applies to linen and bamboo.

Finished the game the other night and ran through tonight to clear out the remaining camps. Are there any particularly good side stories? I've done a bunch but it kinda feels like I finished the game and there's not much left to do.

404notfound posted:

Francois Chau also plays Jules-Pierre Mao in The Expanse, where he also looks decidedly un-samurai-ish

I'll always think of him as the guy in the Dharma Initiative training videos.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'll always think of him as the guy in the Dharma Initiative training videos.

Yeah, that was my instant recognition moment when I looked him up after that mention :lost:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

Pro-tip for anyone in acts 2/3: you will end up with WAY more iron than you can use. Sell what you can for supplies to get upgrades sooner. I had almost 300 excess iron by the time I finished the game, which works out to ~4k supplies. If you focus your upgrades on specific armor and/or don't use the bows much this also applies to linen and bamboo.

I had this happen with linen, which I was surprised to notice sells for 15 supplies each.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The most invested I’ve been in the story was at the start of Act 3, or end of Act 2, I forget, when those assholes killed my horse, Kage, named after the Kokage horse in Sekiro who dies from being spooked to death by gunpowder. I was actually legitimately upset and couldn’t believe that they were going to do that to me, and then make you watch as your horse takes you, who knows, 50 miles into the North, with 5 or so arrows sticking out of its body. Then it shows a closeup if it’s eyes as it dies on the ground... hosed up.

Also the other stuff at the end of act 2 is also good, Im assuming Jin forgives his uncle and maybe says he isn’t a ghost anymore or something stupid, while still somehow maintaining that he did what he had to do to save Tsushima, but I would also not mind if he gets poisoned or something later in the game for being a dickhead.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Imhotep posted:

The most invested I’ve been in the story was at the start of Act 3, or end of Act 2, I forget, when those assholes killed my horse, Kage, named after the Kokage horse in Sekiro who dies from being spooked to death by gunpowder. I was actually legitimately upset and couldn’t believe that they were going to do that to me, and then make you watch as your horse takes you, who knows, 50 miles into the North, with 5 or so arrows sticking out of its body. Then it shows a closeup if it’s eyes as it dies on the ground... hosed up.

Also the other stuff at the end of act 2 is also good, Im assuming Jin forgives his uncle and maybe says he isn’t a ghost anymore or something stupid, while still somehow maintaining that he did what he had to do to save Tsushima, but I would also not mind if he gets poisoned or something later in the game for being a dickhead.

:allears:

Just finished it last night, got the plat at the end, too, which felt extra awesome. The final ghost armor color is amazing.

Unrelated:

Not gonna lie, that mask but with the Refined Kensai hat look amazing.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 9, 2020