Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I forgot about this game until the other day. I speak a little Mongolian and Japanese, and lived both of those places, so this should be a fun ride.

Good game so far, whoever did the Mongolian language translation (like when they’re actually speaking Mongolian and it’s subtitled) did a pretty lol job at it.

Also I actually turned off the Japanese dialogue just because they synced the lips to English dialogue and it bothers the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Not reading this thread because I’m really enjoying this game spoiler free, but I’m having a really good time with it. The combat is fun, and I’m loving playing the honorable samurai where I scream “FIGHT ME COWARDS” at every enemy. I did cheat a little because I really want the Kensei armor, so I looked up where the quest starts.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Without spoiler, does doing assassinations change anything? I did it a few times because I had to, but then one time I jumped off a roof and shanked someone and I got a cinema. Then during a cinema Khotun mentioned the assassinations.

Will my actions have some significant impact?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have huge trouble dodging the big axe dudes attacks. Do I actually need to dodge backwards out of their big wide sweeps, or is the iFrame window really tiny?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Six Blades of Kojiro had some sick locations for fights.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

they look like newfies :(

Those are, as I believe one Mongol relic states, a breed called “Bankhar”. They’re all over Outer Mongolia.

When I lived there the family I lived near had one I’d play with, and when I asked it’s name they gave me a weird look and said “Bankhar”. Later I moved and my neighbors had a similar looking dog, I asked it’s name and they said “Bankhar”. I got all excited and said “I know another dog here named Bankhar!”.

They had to politely explain that Bankhar was a breed name, and people don’t really give dogs names there.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does the highest level Gosaku’s/Sakai Clan/Samurai armor grant a new helmet, because it doesn’t look like it changes from level 3-4.

And I can’t decide which I like the best. I really just like playing as a full on FIGHT ME samurai, but I keep switching armor. Is there a way to change Gosaku from orange to another color?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

free hubcaps posted:

i cant speak for the others but the sakai clan armor deffo gives you different helmets at levels 1, 2 and 3- first level is mainly a face guard, second is a full helmet but without the horns and scale mail, and third is the final full version

E:just realized i misread your post :downs:

Sakai helmet is sweet as poo poo though. I’m about to upgrade to level 4 so I’ll report back soon.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How! posted:

There’s a Black Dye merchant hidden in some cave that has a pretty cool dye for Gosaku.

Please give me more specifics about this.

Update: gosaku level 4 does not offer a new helmet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m too lazy to post screenshots from ps4, but Gosaku Armor + Kensei Headband is where it’s at.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Look at all you robe wearers. Embrace the glorious brightly colored wood and lacquer armor of the True Samurai you skulking cowards.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I like robes. They're comfy and easy to wear.

Plus they seem to fit the aesthetic better.

My aesthetic is “brightly colored samurai charges full speed into every battle, screaming the entire time”

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I just got a “charm of fortune 1” which says “effects with a % chance to occur are 50% more likely to occur”.

So does this mean my “attacks have a 5% chance to deal double damage” will now proc 55% of the time?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oof, the two Yuriko quests were rough.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Solomonic posted:

Speaking of Sekiro, the tengu masked man at the end of the Uchitsune quest opened up our fight with an Ichimonji. Probably not a reference, but those two elements together made me grin.

I’ve been occasionally rocking the Ronin Armor + Refined Samurai Helmet for that classic Isshin look.

Hesitation is defeat, Mongols!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lol at Shimura in the send a message to the shogun quest.

Jin: if we allow them to pass we can sneak by and...
Shimura: gently caress THAT AND gently caress YOU. ATTACK!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Solomonic posted:

I just need one more gold! I'm rolling in silk but gold is few and far between.

Go find some Mongol camps and burn them to the ground.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Today while crossing a busy intersection a Ford Fiesta struck me at 45 miles per hour and flung my body eighteen yards through the street. However, I pounded my fist into my chest 3 times and walked it off with no injuries.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oof. I tried to bow to tanka’s body after he got iced and it wouldn’t even let me. I have a feeling Things are gonna get brutal.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just noticed that when you walk (not stealth) through Pampas grass, Jin holds his right hand open and just feels it. That’s great.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 25, 2020

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lobok posted:

I would like it more just for combat and if Jin didn't do dodge rolls. But it doesn't look good for rolling around or stealth so I just use the starting versions.

One of my very few issues with the game is the lack of focus on the stealth/honor mechanics. I get that it’s Jin’s story, but it feels weird making you quietly stab people in the neck exactly one time for a quest before you just do a stand-off and alert the entire camp while wearing gigantic bright red armor.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oof, Act 3 really started kicking my rear end on Hard. This is the first time I’ve actually had to start using stealth and all my items. I can’t decide if I should stay with the Ghost armor because it makes sense for lore reasons, or if I should go back to just screaming at every mongol to fight me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Straw hats are cool, but rocking the headband of Ruin and being a blind swordsman is sweet as gently caress.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Am I tripping out, or can I not do standoffs wearing the Headband of Ruin? I put it on and have walked into 4 patrols and it doesn’t give me the option.

Edit: does getting spotted by eagles not let you stand-off? That might have been it.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 28, 2020

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ostrava posted:

What I'm getting at is that unlocking an achievement isn't as fun as actually finding something that is game relevant. I don't mind things getting tracked or communicated in some manner. Though I think secrets without any formal GUI level hints are more satisfying.

Between the ESRB/PEGI/Etc. and Platform holders pushing Achievements/Trophies the way the experience of finding secrets is presented has shifted over the years. (Hot Coffee didn't help either)

A more recent example of the sort of experience I think is cool would be the Drake Sword in Dark Souls 1. You get rewarded for being observant, curious and creative. The Halo Hayabusa armor is another example on the extreme end of the spectrum. That was cool stuff.

I was kind'a hoping the bow/statue stuff might lead to a special shrine or something more gameplay tangible than a trophy.

I feel like the issue with this kind of old school “super secret” gameplay element design is two fold.

First, the internet has made it so that there’s no more secrets anymore. The second one person finds something, even something insanely hidden, a Google search can reveal it. Hell, people can just dig through the code and find this stuff. Now of course you can just avoid spoilers personally, but outside of MMOs where getting gear requires you to grind 100,000 bear asses, you’re not going to be some unique player who knows the secret to getting an item.

Second, game developers really don’t have a big incentive to hide stuff like that. People want games to be fun, and locking stuff behind “collect 1000 items they are difficult to find” is a game design that only appeals to a tiny amount of people who will ever play the game. I remember this being a huge issue in the first few World of Warcraft expansions where elite players, who played 60 hours a week, complained that the highest tier dungeons were easier then in vanilla. The devs basically said “well only 1% of players ever saw the inside of the hardest raids in vanilla, and we want people to enjoy our game we spent years making”

As someone who plays a lot of games and has never platted any of them, this is way better. Want a challenge to find everything? Just don’t use guiding winds or traveler’s attire. Boom, now you added an extra 100 hours of this game where you wander around finding cool stuff.

In summary, Tsushima is an island of contrasts.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 30, 2020

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

JBP posted:

I'm not buying this thunderstorms when you sneak poo poo. They seem to roll in hard when I'm slaying guys in mortal combat and just smashing them with perfect parries and scaring the poo poo out of them with mad style.

I think using terror is exactly what makes you a dishonorable jerk? I don’t know if wearing Ghost armor alone does it (for the terror bonus), but the Jito is pretty obvious that he’s not cool with using terror as a weapon.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

JBP posted:

I can't help it though. When I use my smoothest fighting moves they panic. I like the thunder and poo poo striking when you heavenly strike some fool don't get me wrong, it owns.

Then put on the Cheese Pringles armor you coward.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ostrava posted:

Huh? No, I was hoping it was going to lead to a quest or armor or something.

I think every “get all of these doodads” gives a unique item though? I haven’t done everything, but I know that fox shrines/kami shrines/bamboo things all give unique items if you find all of them.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I got the kick trophy on the final mission on accident, just tossing some spear guy over a fence and he fell like 8 feet and died.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lethal is quite a big difference in how fast you die. Last time I just played through as “Jin”. This time I can’t decide if I want to play “wandering swordsman” and go ronin/Kensei armor and only use swords and kunai, or just go full sword/bow honor dork with huge armor.

Edit: lethal does not gently caress around. Early game is hard as hell with no skills.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 31, 2020

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Big Japanese/Mongol History post coming up to give some context re: Shimura and the Samurai and Honor. Let me first say that Shimura is definitely Lawful Stupid, but the reasons for him not wanting Jin to poison and murder people has some logical backing.

Note, I am not a historian, I just happen to be very interested in both Japanese and Mongolian history and have lived in both of those places.

Historical Context

Ghost of Tsushima is based on real events, and the invasion of the island of Tsushima by the Mongols is a thing that happened. Khotun Khan is made up for the story, but Tsushima was set to be a staging ground for the invasion of mainland Japan.

To understand what this meant to people of the area, you have to understand the extent of the Mongol Empire's sudden, brutal, and unstoppable expansionist period. In a period of of less than 40 years (basically from the begining of the 1200s to his death in 1227), Chinggin Xaan (Ghengis Khan) turned the Mongols from a band of tribal raiders into the single largest empire in the world. He did all this in the span of a normal person's life, even during that time. He did so brutally, effectively, and in a way that made the option of becoming a vassal state to the Mongol Empire a pretty goddamn appealing option. After his death his empire fragmented somewhat, though at the time of GoT (1274) it was still essentially expanding. Ogedei Khan, Chinggis' alocholic son and heir to the Empire at large, conquered Korea before he drank his fat rear end to death. Khublai Xaan, Chinggis' grandson, had mostly consolidated Manchuria (modern day China), meaning that the only two real neighbors/trading partner/sort-of-not-really allies had fallen to Mongol rule. Now they were coming for Japan.

The Shogunate

The first real Shogunate, called the Kamakura Bakufu, and led by Minamoto Yoritomo, was established in 1192. He was by no means a sole victor, and much of his power came from a backing of the equally powerful Hojo clan. This marked the first time in Japanese history where the Emperor started to become more of a figurehead than a leader in any real sense. The Shogunate maintained power by essentially allowing other fuedal lords to maintain control over their area while swearing fealty to the Shogun. Similar to a medieval style of Kings/Dukes/Whatevers, kind of. What's important to note is that the Shogun was a hereditary position. He is never mentioned by name, but assuming this timeline stays true to the real world, the Shogun in 1274 was one Prince Koreyasu. By all means, Koreyasu was not real well liked or competent. He was installed at age 2 when his father died, and was more or less a puppet for the Hojo clan. His grasp at power was tenuous at best, and by age 25 he was deposed and end up becoming a Buddhist monk.

The Samurai

While the Samurai were warriors, they were also literally just nobles. The original Samurai were little more than marauding horse archers who were well trained and ended up serving some local chiefs/lords, who paid them well. Once power started to get consolidated and those chiefs became lords and daimyos, the Samurai were granted land and titles and all that. Now there was, arguably, a certain sense of noblesse oblige to them, but they were also just the best trained and outfitted soldiers, and those with the most to lose should any local lords or whoever be deposed. Life doesn't change much for a peasant between this lord or that, but being a top retainer of one lord meant a quick death (likely by your own hand) if another took power. So as, I believe someone mentioned earlier, the whole concept of honor for that time period is more "serve your Lord as if he were God" than it was "don't stab dudes in the back". The whole Samurai code makes sense if you think about it from their perspective. As someone who is trained in mounted combat, sword, and bow, you don't really want to be fighting people who might poison you or stab you while you sleep. And sense the whole Samurai class had been established, and everyone who had a vested interest in keeping the existing social order were Samurai and above, for hundreds of years these rigid codes of conduct had become more codified.

Funny Note: Early Samurai had some hilariously comical ways of doing pitched battles. They would literally line up man to man with the enemy forces, like each guy looking at his counterpart in the enemy army. They would do this sort of ritualized "fire some arrows at the other team", some of which would have these whistling tips that were likely to try and scare the peasants in the army who didn't know any better. After this they would just march forward and you were theoretically supposed to just kill the guy in front of you, and if he died you kind of waited for someone else. This likely almost never happened, but it gets talked about a lot in different periods as the honorable way to conduct a pitched battle.

Lord Shimura

So, all that it to bring us to Lord Shimura and his response to Jin. From our perspective, it's hard to argue against Jin. He's just killing Mongols any way he can, and a restrictive code of honor isn't exactly helpful to that. But consider Lord Shimura and how he sees it.

A foreign army, the most brutal and successful that you have ever seen, is at your doorsteps. They are known for their brutal, terror tactics, as well as being known for offering a relatively peaceful and stable transition of power if you submit and become a vassal state. They were fairly fond of telling the lower classes "Hey we're just gonna murder most of your nobles if you let us in, your life won't change much and might actually get a little less lovely". They have just conquered your only two real neighbors, as well as basically the rest of the world as far as you know. You also have a unloved, weak, puppet Shogun who is nominally in control of your country, and throughout the mainland there are about 30 different clans with the power and prestige to challenge that Shogun, any of which could potentially be persuaded to side with the Mongols. It's going to be a hard sell for this disunified country to be able to come together to stop the invaders, and equally challenging to make sure that one half of the country doesn't just murder the other half and then let the Mongols come in.

Shimura knows that not only does Japan have to beat the mongols, they have to do so in such a way that preserves the current status quo without devolving Japan into another hundred year war of different clans all vying for power (it would happen regardless, sorry Shimura). So when he says "Jin, you can't poison people, that's dishonorable", he's not saying "It's unfit for a Samurai to do this", he's saying "If we beat back the Mongols by turning into brutal monsters, even if we win you're going to fracture our fragile country and incite another civil war, and then the Mongols can just try again and they'll whoop the poo poo out of us".

Again, Shimura is kind of an idiot, but he's a little less stupid when you consider he is trying to look at the long-term stability of the country. He's a tried and true battlefield commander and understands that winning the battle isn't winning the war. In his eyes, having some upstart kid convince people that the Way of the Samurai is dumb as poo poo could easily just tear the whole country apart even if they win this war.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there a black dye, or a dark color, for the Clan armor?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh neat, just accidentally deleted over my second games play through cause you can’t name saves.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nigulus Rex posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on rushing the sakai armor? I just started act2 and it seems like it's super far into the map, and if i wasn't otherwise charging at it, it'd take a while for me to get there with everything in the way

I mean you can quite literally just b-line to it and have it about 15 minutes after you get into Act 2. Just dodge patrols and save all the question marks for later.

I’m loving loving my new Dyed green Kensei + natural vengeance headband + spring bamboo sword kit. I’m a vicious forest spirit just here to murder mongols and these dickhole ronin.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nigulus Rex posted:

K I think I'll do that. I'm tired of the ronin armor and haven't gotten anything fun in a while (I dislike the looks of the archer armor so I haven't even been using it. Plus archery is so strong I'd feel OP to use its perks)

Let me highly recommend the Gosaku armor. Classic samurai look, great colors, great perks.

The second play through has really made me like the character missions, specifically Ishikawa. I love how they really build up the idea you’re going to kill Ishikawa, and then BAM it’s loving Masako who goes off on you

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Kensei armor is cool cause you can use level 2 in act 2 when you’re in forests and marshes, then level 3 in act 3 cause it’s chillier. And you don’t wanna catch a cold.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ronin Armor + Clan helmet as Sword Saint Isshin is the true Sekiro cosplay.

Hesitation is defeat, Khotun!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

JackDarko posted:

Not sure if this is a brave take or common knowledge but the Dance of Wrath mission is really bad. Writing, design the whole bit. The move itself is really cool of course.

The only thing I didn’t like was that it literally locks you into doing that mission once you talk to the musician. I don’t know if there’s another non main quest that does it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Natural sequel would be pre-Sengoku where Jin has passed on his techniques in secret over generations, not attempting to outright undermine the Samurai but knowing that this style of warfare will someday be needed, and you play the game as a young upstart from the then-unknown Iga clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So if I have a PS5 and already own the PS4 version of GoT, it will be $29.99 to upgrade?