Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Whole I do understand the criticisms above (especially dishonoured and Deus ex “you can do anything but stealth it the right way!” - this does piss me off)

I’m kinda looking at this as a modern open world ten human soooo I kinda don’t care

I hope this fear mechanic of the enemies getting scared of you as your reputation grows is well realised .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I think it looks like a cool open world tenchu and I struggle to see how that is a bad thing

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's funny because to hear one of the lead developers talk about it, it seems like he's only watched that Every Frame a Painting video lol. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because the art direction is great but one of the things that has made me wary is that the entire dev team is bearded guys from Seattle. This game definitely has me interested but I'll wait a few weeks to get people's impressions first.

The other thing is they may have a better understanding of it but just are marketing to the lowest common denominator. Either way it’s a video game, honestly the visual thing is really all they can take from film so I’m fine with that

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

free hubcaps posted:

reviews seem to be ranging from "solid if formulaic" to "must buy", though based on metacritic they seem to be trending more towards the latter

re: how this game is being received in Japan, famitsu gave it a perfect score, apparently only the third western game they've given one to.
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1649

also it seems kind of funny that apparently opposite to a lot of people's fears, the stealth elements are kind of mediocre and the swordplay is excellent

An interesting point that famistu liked it. Another gaming forum I read had some people basically saying it’s cultural appropriation for a western team to make a samurai game these days. I was wondering how the Japanese feel or do they like the depictions of themselves in western media?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Taintrunner posted:

Let me guess, resetera. Lmao.

Yeah that take has been going around for years, poorly. The worst "take" I can remember is that white developers can only make Medieval/Fantasy sword games set in "white" cultures, aka Europe.

Got it in one!

I’m happy to be on the side of “SJW” causes but this shot is performative wokeness personified.

A few posts re: mongols- it would be interesting to see a game or anything really, give more focus to them. But not every game has to flesh out the invading bad guys, or be sympathetic to them either. So while it would be interesting in a way I’m not sure we really lose much in it- it simply isn’t their story.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This is the kind of thing I've been thinking of as "cargo cult ideology" where people see terms and ideas online but don't really understand the context and analysis that goes along with them. Cultural appropriation is a real thing that needs to be pointed out and criticized when, for example, white people are wearing native american headresses while getting smashed off their faces at coachella. Its purely aesthetic and they have no underlying appreciation or understanding of the culture or the people it represents - its just a commodity to people like that. That poo poo is insulting and racist. However, there's nothing wrong with people appreciating other cultures and engaging with them thoughtfully and, in my experience, the people from those cultures can usually see that and tend to be stoked for it, actually. The most recent example that I've seen was when I was watching a video of a performance by King Gizzard on youtube. The comments were loaded with Turkish people losing their minds because the band, made up of white Australians, plays in traditional turkish scales and uses microtonal instruments similar to those that are characteristic to the region. They loved it. There is a big difference between cultural appreciation and being a dumb bougie hippie wearing a mish-mash of psuedo-asian costumery to appear worldly while completely ignoring all of the cultural context. And the people who call the former "appropriation" are, ironically, engaging in the same sort of behavior as the latter by draping themselves in language and concepts they don't actually understand or care to analyze thoughtfully. That's when you get nominally well meaning liberals advocating for homogenous ethno-states without realizing that's what they're doing.

You put it much better than I could. I agree with all of this.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey I just got the grappling hook and did the associated mission. A couple questions

1. Does it only connect with the tree branches with ropes on it or can it ever be a tenchu style one that connects to anything and gives you a lot more freedom to move around?

2. I’ve got so many side quests but I pushed for this as I wanted the item. Are there any more gameplay changing items/ things you get by pushing the main story forward or can I just go hog wild doing side quests now? It’d be annoying to me if I did them all and then it was like “ah yes here is this new double sword stance only unlock able by a main story mission” and I could’ve been stabbing through the island with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

JBP posted:

1. It will connect to things with little ribbons hanging off them. So basically it has set points.

2. You will continue getting new poo poo from main missions all the way up to act 3. I did the entire first island before moving to act 2. There are some very cool things in the future but just do what's fun. You should be absolutely murdering act 1 camps etc if you've done the mainline quests but haven't gone to Castle Kaneda.

Great stuff. Time to murder some mongols