Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
eurogamer's review wasn't kind, says that its visual fidelity is lovely but really just a veneer and all its systems and mechanics are very rote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
god of war isn't open world in the vein of something like witcher 3, days gone or (apparently) tsushima but it also isn't fully linear, there's a giant free-roam zone that you routinely come back to and most of the game world can be revisited at any time for treasure hunting etc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

The fact that the game is taking from Samurai cinema and not real history feels important too. A lot of samurai cinema is a modern romantic reimagining of history. I don't know if you can really culturally appropriate that. Definitely not in the same way as say, a sacred religious artifact being used as someone's Halloween costume.

the eurogamer review took that into account and said that it's a pretty poor mimic of samurai cinema as well, but i'm not experienced in either (aside from the arrow scene in Throne of Blood, that was rad) so i won't venture an opinion

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sekiro's CLANG may be the single best sound effect in video games period, barely edging out over resident evil 4's head-explosion sound

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

haikus are only
supposed to be on nature
how do i end this

haiku, senryu
do not be constrained by form
it's snowing on mt fuji

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I assume you mean pre-reboot god of war, the lack of feedback in those games always drive me batty. Enemies hardly ever behaved like you were actually hitting them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Thank you Sucker Punch for not making the one millionth samurai game that takes place in the feudal era

edit: Well ok I guess it is still the feudal era but it's not the one everyone knows. My point is thank god Nobunaga isn't gonna be alive for like 250 years because it means they can't shoehorn him in

for all of nioh's faults in storytelling, and there are many, i'm a big fan of how the original game treated nobunaga

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zongerian posted:

It's been a while but I feel like they just made him a less hammy Dracula from Castlevania

the main villain's entire plan is to bring him back from the dead, and the moment he's resurrected he goes "ugh, no thanks, i've had my fun" and then has a quick swordfight with the protag before flipping the villain the bird and going back to the hereafter

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ohhh no no, i don't like that at all

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

That's because Sony pushed it hard when the PS3 launched and everyone, devs and players, loving hated it.

Want to hang out with these dudes and just fish for a while.

oh boy i really like the framing on all three of these

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I actually gotta say, it’s a bit weird and disappointing that you almost never fight any mounted archers in this game. Didn’t the Mongolian Army win so much because of how good their archers were on horseback?

the story of nearly every kingdom and ruler in that time period ended with "and then the mongols rode by and shot them with arrows"

though sometimes they'd crush them to death instead, as a show of respect

mounted archers would have been a real pain in the rear end to fight though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the fully upgraded sakai mail is cash money

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i constantly eat poo poo during stance switches, it's probably my biggest sticking point with the combat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skypie posted:

I finished Act 2 this morning and I want to say that it's extremely funny that Shimura's master plan is to repair a bridge under enemy archer fire and then run in a straight line across that bridge into unknown defenses -- and that's AFTER the first charge across the bridge ended in spectacular failure

you can even hear oga afterward muttering about what a chronic fuckup shimura has been

one gets the impression that he's just kind of a dolt in general and his slavish dedication to bushido is all that keeps him in his peers' good graces

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he's got some kind of gift for making games look stupid, i have to give him that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
props to tsushima's dressup game at least, i'm at the end now and i've never stuck with just one outfit/color for too long

finishing with the black-dyed kenjiro set because it's a nice contrast to the environment and also looks really snuggly, sandals aside

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and it's done and platted. i hosed up way more standoffs than i would have liked, made me feel very foolish

as for the ending, i went with the spare option and was glad that i did. not only was it a nice little thematic tie-off, showing that "dishonor" can encompass virtuous qualities as well, but the ending itself came off as a better last note cinematically than the kill option. i'd rather have jin slow-walking into the credits screen flanked by overlapping patterns of bloodred and pure white than him on his knees and wailing into the sky

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i just looked up a guide to see where the first leg of the mountain trek was supposed to be and cleared it in ten minutes, the real problem is the initial lack of signposting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fedule posted:

In closing, I can't believe they didn't reuse the stupid-as-hell morality meter from Infamous Second Son and broadly branch the plot in the same way, because maybe this is just the crazy pills again but it seems like that would have been mechanically and thematically a slam dunk for this plot? Make us actually choose between the Ghost and the Samurai, make us commit to one style in order to use its best moves... of course, this would require the game to make a more convincing case for honour, when what it has rings so consistently hollow... I dunno.

christ almighty, no. death to all morality meters and reactive plotlines. leave them in the dustbin of history

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first thirty minutes of tsushima makes it clear that traditionalist hardliners like shimura are sheltered aristocrats whose rules of engagement only work if they're fighting each other, and can't deal with or even conceptualize "dishonorable" tactics like the khan's. half the reason jin needs to undertake such extreme measures in act 2 is because shimura's pigheadedness has made a bad situation even worse

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Not expanding on things is a huge problem of the writing. They drop in stuff like Masako being bisexual with a secret relationship with her attendant or Yuriko having an affair with Jin's father(?) that could be interesting things to follow up with those characters but they also just go nowhere. The whole thing with the poison also seems out of nowhere. I spend most of the game having Jin violently killing people and marching into the middle of camps. Jin becoming a terrifying monster who enjoys violence feels like a theme that could be better developed but they didn't have confidence in. Instead Samurai Dumbass decides he needs poison even though he's been winning every battle since the beach without it and then the Mongols get the same poison somehow.

this is just being willfully obtuse. he utilized the poison because his dipshit uncle was preparing an honorable suicide charge into hopelessly vulnerable territory and he had to undercut the strategy before shimura got everyone killed. they didn't need to show how kublai khan reverse-engineered the stuff because he'd already been shown to have earnest curiosity in his environment and how it can be harnessed to his advantage. guy could have nabbed a random peasant and hurt them until he got a list of nearby toxic flora and then gone from there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

screaden posted:

Maybe you should stop fixating on this one example of many and realise we were talking about the writing in general?

If you want an answer specifically to that, literally anything that wasn't the follow, kill, return style of mission that is repeated forever. Incorporate the shrine exploration type stuff to find some item or object that reveals their history? Incorporate her knowledge of herbs into a bamboo-strike style minigame to help her mix a potion or draught for the people at your home and bond over something that isn't violence? Use the underutilised dialogue choice system to coax more information out of her to learn about her history?

this is an bad example to fixate on because if anyone's sidequests should revolve exclusively around murder it's masako's. the woman has nothing but murder on the mind and no patience for anything else

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it is unfair that the charm of carnage requires its own slot

spurt spurt spurt

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

It could also be that NG+ has an oversight by the devs. I never tried to play dlc on my new game file so I don't know.

almost definitely not an oversight, jin is never in a position to delude himself that samurai will be arriving to back him up, either on ikki or tsushima. he was just trying to intimidate them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

On a scale from World of Warcraft to The Witcher 3, how involved and immersive are the sidequests and the world around you? Do you find interesting stories and make decisions like TW3 or one of the better Fallout games, or is it more like "kill 10 bandits attacking this village" sorta stuff?

the story is completely unremarkable porridge where nearly every sidequest boils down to "kill these bandits" or "kill these mongols" in a setting where people are mostly scared, sad, or murderously vengeful. jin gets off a handful of very dry quips here and there but most of his character consists of stoic declarations of intent. there's one sidequest chain that's widely agreed to be pretty emotionally affecting (and maybe not coincidentally, it's the only one that doesn't revolve around killing bandits or mongols), but other than that the game's appeal comes from the gameplay and frankly jawdropping visuals more than any ambitious leaps in storytelling

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one upside to a lethal ng+ playthrough is that stance switching becomes far less important, because everything's going down in two hits no matter how you're swinging the sword

except in duels. duels are tricky

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skrill.exe posted:

Can you remind me which one is the emotionally affecting quest? It's been a spell since I played it.

I got a kick out of the spooky night quest where you had to follow the lanterns, but as usual it turned out to be bandits :-/

the tale of yuriko, where you follow around your increasingly senile nanny until she passes away on a mountaintop

it’s definitely the most meditative questline and has the extra tragic edge of being mostly Jin’s fault, since it’s implied yuriko’s health started to fail as a result of exertion and exposure while brewing his poisons

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, I re-platinumed the main game (since the trophies were lost when I switched to PS5) and I got the bright idea to do it for the expansion too, but it turns out that the final trophy is locked behind completing the Legends storyline. I've dabbled in that a little bit in single player but I just don't do co-op so I'm never gonna play enough to get that. I just don't know why they threw that into the single player mode when it's otherwise been the most reasonable set of trophies to complete of any game I've played :negative:

worst case scenario, you get a ragequitter or a fumble-fingered newbie who needs some time to work out the mechanics. best-case, you get someone who charges through the stage like a rocket's up their rear end, slays every enemy alongside you, and pets all the dogs you summon

i played with randos at both ends of the scale and it was a fine way to pass a few hours

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that being said, don't go for the gold on your first time. there's six or seven challenges on the island, do your best with each and then come back to them with tadayori's armor and your juiced-up charm to finish the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

I really dislike the ending of the Ishikawa quests. So Jin and Ishikawa are just going to trust the word of a literal war criminal and let her escape to the mainland where she has stated she’ll continue being a criminal? Come on.

it felt like the writers never really knew what to do with that whole questline, it’s really meandering compared to all the others