Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ostrava posted:

Huh? No, I was hoping it was going to lead to a quest or armor or something.

I think everyone's point that hiding fun gameplay items between goddam annoying "bow to all these secret shrines" is kind of counterintuitive to your point of finding secrets for the love of finding secrets; if you lock gameplay items behind it you need to signpost it somewhere, because if its too obscure people won't find it, they'll be annoyed at all the hoops they have to jump through to get it and you've also thrown away dev time if 90% of the players aren't interacting with it due to obscurity. There's only so much time to develop things. So anything hidden that well by definition can't be too impactful on gameplay, internet or no.

I personally loved every one of this games collectibles because at no point did I feel like I was only doing them just to check some arbitrary developer box. I did shrines because they had beautiful views, I followed foxes because I wanted to pet them, the haikus were a nice break and a good way to gatekeep collectibles. I'd kind of look around and pick a direction where things seemed interesting and start walking. All of the random side stuff was things I actually wanted to do as I explored the environment, instead of pulling up my map to signpost myself to the next bear rear end I need to collect to finish off my rear end armor. I really really hope open world games take a lot of notes from Tsushima going forwards, because I never burnt out on any of the side mission type things because they were so nonintrusive. I just wandered around the island and if I heard good old birdo squawking I'd angle that direction to see what I found. Don't get me wrong, I love secret stuff, my wife is the poster child for Breath of The Wild type exploration where everywhere you go look you're rewarded with a little trinket. But when you hide things that bring gameplay value it takes the life out of it and makes it a chore list of things to do before you unlock x item. And that's what made this game special for me! I normally really quickly tire of open world checklists.

All in all I was super impressed with their take on the genre, everyone please steal their art direction and open world ideas.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Monolith. posted:

Yup, this was my reasoning.

E: all major spoilers for endgame stuff

This is one point where maybe they could have done a little more to align the players viewpoint with the "real" Jin, but...

I found it to actually be a really hard choice that I spent like 5 minutes thinking about and my wife refused to help. While throughout the game he's a dick, they do set up that all throughout childhood he really was a good guy to Jin, and adopting someone else as your heir is not a small deal in a feudal society.

Plus when I considered how Jin actually treats him throughout the game I think it's a harder decision than it seems for the player. Even after everything Jin's letter to his uncle still carried feelings of comradeship and family.

In the end Shimura is still the only thing Jin has left, it's not a trivial thing to give up.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just platted it. Art direction was probably the best I've seen in a game, or in the top 3 definitely. It's a bit unbalanced and there wasn't much variety to the missions, combat, or bosses after a certain point but exploration made up for most of that.

Ending spoilers:

I found it odd in Jin's last conversation with Shimura that he's still holding onto this unquestioned assumption that samurai should be in charge. He's like "no, my followers will obey the new samurai that come from the mainland, I'll make sure of it." It's jarring when taken with the (admittedly understated) implication that The Ghost is inspiring the peasantry to look after themselves. It seems obvious at this point that Jin would recognize the feudal social order as being unsuited to threats like the Mongols and therefore obsolete, and it would complete the ideological divide that's steadily been growing between Jin and Shimura throughout the game.

An important note is you're looking from you own viewpoint. Jin is a true believer, both in his uncle and in the samurai. Think back to Yuna act 2 missions. Jin keeps going on about how Shimura will for sure give her the passage to Japan. The instant she and Shimura meet they hate each other and not only does Jin not notice but even if he did he wouldn't understand why.

He does go off on his uncle on things changing, bit that's more of a tactics than a society thing.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Finishing is worth it and the third area is really not that long. Finishing up the character quests is interesting and I think they wrap up the themes of each quest chain well, and the end of the game is really good. A few of the quests also end in semi surprising ways.

I definitely didn't do any extra side missions though, I just beelined character quests then knocked out the main story. It's pretty quick, only like 3 main story missions and some of them are shorter than previous.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm in act 3 wrapping up the character quests. Masako 9/9 resolution was extremely disappointing. Her sister is comic-book levels of angry villain. She spends all of her screen time spewing hate at Masako, with the validity of it mostly unexplored. Why doesn't she lunge at her with the knife at the end?

Norio got a raw deal. I feel really bad for the guy. I was hoping he'd take over as abbot for his temple after his brother died, but instead he goes off the deep end and now the monks are all terrified of him. Beginning to think I'm a bad influence.

Ishikawa didn't have much of a resolution? Tomoe gets away, Ishikawa certainly respects her abilities but doesn't say anything that hints he forgives her for either betraying him or helping the Mongols. I guess putting half an ocean between them solves the problem!

The final duel with Kojiro was absolutely monstrous on lethal. Most of his moves kill you in one hit, and the parry windows are super tight. I finally managed to get it, but that was definitely the hardest duel in the game so far by a country mile.

Does anything besides the dialog change when you're given options for how to respond? I took the forgiving approach with Tomoe and I'm wondering if things would have worked out differently had I taken a harder line.

I'm like 90% sure the vibration is not just tied to proximity, but facing. If you're moving toward the thing it vibrates more and subsides if you start moving away. So in that sense the upgrade is worth it. Why wear it if you're not hunting down collectables?

Character quest endings

I was also disappointed in Masako's sister being so one note, BUT I think the Greek Tragedy level of "at the end of the quest to bring justice for my family I have to kill the only family I have left" was still a great payoff.

Ishikawa's quest is basically his realization that he's wasted his life and both he and the people he trained may have been better off not learning BOWJUTSU. Tomoe's final rejection of that is a chance to lead a better life. She claims she wasn't really helping the mongols and was trying to redirect them but they don't really resolve the "did she or did she not just murder a ton of dudes" though.

Norio's ending and the contrast with the healing monk and how Norio himself began was a good, if sad, arc. He gained confidence but also lost innocence or belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Upgraded leader assassinate related to the unlock you get in yarikawa