Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Been playing for a little while now (on a forced break since I lost power yet again, at least it was maybe three minutes after a manual save). The camera definitely needed some sort of lock on, and the swarms of enemies need to be less BS with unblockable attacks, but all in all it’ll be really fun once I manage to learn what I’m doing. Right now I feel too bad at combat with this many enemies so I have to use stealth a lot, which, well, probably working as intended there. I am deeply glad they were smart enough to have dedicated sheathe and bow commands, and in the latter case the world reacts to doing it (I’ve heard Japanese NPCs thank me when I bow back to them, and I like that Jin says a prayer next to the Japanese corpses when you bow, extremely immersive). I do seem to wildly sequence break by accident though, found the archery sensei’s dojo before I meant to and I actually found one fox shrine on my way to return to the den it started at. The one time I managed to pull a camp leader into my opening showdown was hilarious though, especially since I only have the one person version at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Sindai posted:

Man the Heavenly Strike quest is so awesome. A duel in the middle of a thunderstorm to learn a secret technique. I love it so much. :allears:

Heavenly Strike in general is amazing. I use it on pretty much every leader since it lets you execute them instantly after staggering them and more importantly dismember them and strike a badass pose when time freezes to show the dead leader popup.

It works in duels too, got sort of a non-quest one (the “liberate dojo” Mongol area had a guy run in and duel me at the end) and I ended it in a single strike with Heavenly Strike taking the guy’s sword arm off. :perfect:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, one little flaw in this I just ran into; accidently went into a duel without enough prep in Act 2 (needed a lot more resolve than I started with) but there was literally no way to cancel out of the duel in the menu or otherwise; any attempt to reload checkpoint dropped me right back at the duel. Finally had to give up and reload a save almost two hours back; really angry right now to put it mildly. Every other drat mission has a cancel prompt available, why the hell would you be locked into a duel permanently?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ostrava posted:

Has anyone found uses for the bow emote? [Pad Swipe Down]

So far the only thing that has stood out to me is that if you bow to the Statues of Frogs (Takeminakata-no-Kami?) near shrines a swarm of frogs will leap out and croak.

Perhaps it's an innocuous easter egg but they dedicate an entire input to the emote so I'm curious if there is more here.

Bowing to bodies makes Jin pray for them, and I have seen a lot of peasants you bow to (assuming you line up on them correctly, which is kinda hard in my experience admittedly) also bow back to you and say something appropriate like "thanks"/"you honor me"/etc. if you bow to them. Also in my experience if you brush the pad by mistake the wrong way when trying to activate the Focused Hearing it makes you stand up and get murdered by Mongols; they don't thank you for your politeness unfortunately.

CJacobs posted:

Jin: haha explosive arrow go BOOM

Really, when Mongols gather up next to a mysteriously dead body like that there's only one possible result; what else did they think would happen?

Also, since I missed the Ryuzo discussion earlier, while I would normally be inclined to some sympathy for his plight (though I think whining Jin didn't throw their fight is a bit much, complaining Jin didn't realize the impact is kind of fair) it was pretty much killed when he sided with the Mongols. That's basically helping butcher the only people with even less privilege than him; if the Straw Hats were specifically focusing on killing Jin and the other remaining samurai I could buy it as dubiously motivated revenge, but he and his people are just punching down for the right to lick the Khan's boots for food really. The hypocrisy kind of kills whatever point he may have had since he basically did what he accuses Jin of doing.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

muscles like this! posted:

Best way to finish a duel is definitely Heavenly Strike.

Yeah, wound up taking out Kojiro that way when down to low health and one resolve, was pure joy to see. Other duels were much easier when I was smart enough to come in with full resolve unlike my previous catastrophe; seems like there was something about that one duelist Duel in the Drowning Marsh guy that made it hard to time my moves also, but with enough resolve I toughed it out. Others were much easier at least. I wouldn't call myself more than OK at this game but I swear there's something about the duels in this game where I always manage to have a cinematic looking finish if I win. Two were finished with a perfect parry/counter, one I did the perfect dodge version, finished one guy with Blade Dance, and even the last guy who went to a regular attack the game had Jin do this amazing slash and turn move with it. Very morale boosting after all the horrible deaths previously on my first attempt.

Ostrava posted:

Did it feel like the timing of the Show Down button release changed suddenly to anyone? I started the game on Hard and I'm what seems like mid Act 2.

I can't tell if I'm imagining it but the patch seems to have changed the timing of the Show Down. Either that or the more numerous Gold and Blue enemies means I'm encounter them more and maybe they have faster timings?

Anyone else? It's so noticable I swapped away from the Sakai clan armor, I really liked it's bonus because I was nailing the show downs all the time

Act 2 Show Downs are harder timing, pretty much because of the harder enemy types. I could tell when I was learning the area when I finally started nailing the showdowns. Also I use the "bigger window for parry/dodge" charm, maybe that affects the Show Down timing too? I still mess up some of them even now, and I expect when I finally hit Act 3 I'll suck again for a while.

And as tradition, got my own "drat this game is pretty" screenshots:

(minor Act 2 spoiler, poor Yuriko, at least I got this right in time)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, finished the game and got platinum, the latter of which I VERY seldom bother doing. Felt weirdly appropriate the final achievement I wound up doing was the play the flute at Taka's grave, felt like a perfect coda to everything. Wound up killing my uncle, it weirdly felt like the kinder choice to let him die the way he wanted to, it was very moving at least. Still have a few collectibles I might grind out for giggles like the last crickets/banners, but at least like most people I've found the perfect post-game outfit to wear doing it:

As for sequels, honestly this game is perfectly fitting as a one and done; if nothing else I don't really see anyplace important for Jin's story to go. If they did want a continuation; given they basically took Jin through what would easily work as the origin of a shinobi school (several esoteric techniques learned including stealth, poison and explosives, a reason not to be directly part of the samurai system, remote location to hide in, and a bunch of potential lower class recruits for the "Ghost's army" with even more sympathizers to provide info regarding the local samurai as needed) and I understand the earliest at least precursors to shinobi popped up around this time frame, I could easily see him forming his own clan. Jin Sakai, founding jonin of the Sakai Ryu shinobi would work as a good starting point for any sequel; play one of his clan (or maybe a samurai adopted by them if you want to keep the "honor to sneakiness" journey theme) and you could have loads of options for future Mongol attacks or messing around in the Sengoku conflicts to play with. Again logically there were no codified "ninja" clans that early on historically, so just being "ghosts" is fitting without bringing in the idea of the overplayed black pajama squads directly. Though outfit-wise I have to say the Ghost armor looks like a pretty realistic setup for that kind of stealth work without directly playing to the cliche.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Proteus Jones posted:

Anyone done the new duel yet on the island? Personally, I didn't find it particularly challenging but maybe I'll try again in Lethal where a single hit will likely destroy me.

The armor you get is pretty cool. Very high risk/high reward armor with the only parries/blocks you can do while wearing it are perfect parries and blocks. If you pull them off, though, you get multiple counters off that are powerful as gently caress.

I just got hit with a massive fatal bug there, game won’t take any button presses even though controller works fine outside game. Anybody have any suggestions how to fix this poo poo? Happened after I died the first time in that duel but persisted even when I loaded a save game from before the duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Think my bug earlier might have been because my game was trying to update in the background to the latest patch and it broke something; let it finish installing and everything worked again, I downed the duel opponent with ease first time afterwards (Daredevil this guy wasn't apparently) so I guess my constantly losing before the lockup was the controls after all instead of sucking like I usually do ;). Also find it amusing the patch makes the Sakai clan armor have a skin you need to equip now on Iki rather than running around dressed like the "Butcher" like I had done for amusement a la the police uniforms in Sleeping Dogs. Of course, you can also get a skin from one of the shrines that has the full armor/horns look to it that you can equip on Iki without issue, although maybe that's because it's a God of War easter egg and the locals are subconsciously intimidated enough not to make negative comments to a guy resembling Kratos.

I will say I think the shamans should not have been wearing heavy armor if they were going to be this obnoxious in open combat; you pretty much need longbow or fire arrows to hurt them (and without the bow Concentration slowdown you aren't getting a shot off with much else thanks to the hyper-Mongol swarms on you) before and you can't get through their psychotically buffed guards to use Ghost weapons very well, so if you don't pick them off from stealth (which of course the game won't always allow you to do) the fights become a bullshit slog because it's too much of a pain to frantically get to them while they're making everything else unstoppable assholes. The other new Mongols are at least a fair difficulty upgrade, though the weapon swapping ones are kind of a pain to switch stances enough to stagger them.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit: Also super minor nitpick. I don't like that they took away the color from the button prompts. It was just different until I realized how much I used the colors during the bamboo strikes. Apparently I recognize the colors quicker than I recognize the symbols on the PS controller.

Hard same here, I wish that had just been left to a "color blind" mode in options or something.

Also found another irritation that's mostly just going to affect me, but apparently one of the DLC achievements (find "unwritten tales" on Iki Island) requires you to play the Legend mode to do one of the things associated with it. I realize I'm probably unique in not screwing around with the multiplayer so this won't hurt most players, but I despise it when game makers force you to do multiplayer for singleplayer content. At least ME3 had alternative options including an out of game app to circumvent the need for multiplayer if you didn't want to do it even at launch; then of course they added so many war resources you could get the best ending pretty much without anything but the single player.