Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I finished Act 1 and I really feel like Ryuzo's motivation is so dumb and flimsy, how the gently caress can't a pretty small band of trained fighters with weapons and horses manage to get sufficient food? Is Ryuzo perfectly willing to kill his friend, but unwilling to bend Tsushima's traditions a little and kill some deer to get some venison? Go fishing in a river? On the coast? Make a tough decision and kill one of his horses for meat? Kill a Mongol horse for meat? Every single other one of Jin's allies seems to have enough food, why doesn't he go ask them for some? The character just does not act like he's actually desperate for food because he barely bothers to try to get any.

I get that part of his motivation to join the Mongols is cause he's bitter about Jin's duel and the samurai system etc etc but the food thing is just strange. He's like "okay I'll burn a civilian to death but then we need food!" Bro if you're really hungry you should have tried a few more things first before joining up with an invading army.

Anyway the writing in this game doesn't seem like anything special so far. Kind of typical fare for Sucker Punch in that department. The Japanese voice actors are very good though, Jin's Japanese VA does a particularly good job. The lip sync doesn't match up but I don't care because it would probably have been a big pain in the rear end for the studio to change it for a relatively minor payoff and I only really notice it in the most egregious cases. Would have been nice if they subtitled a bit more of the incidental dialogue though, like when villagers speak to each other.

Apparently on lethal difficulty, parry timings get more difficult. Does that also apply to hard? I bumped the difficulty up to hard and now it feels like I'm missing parries more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Kazuya Nakai is the Japanese voice actor for Jin and he does a really good job. The Japanese VA in the game is really great in general, every character has an excellent performance.

There should be more enemies in combat for the amount of options that Jin has available, I think. There have only been a few situations that I can remember where I ever ended up being surrounded by too many enemies, but I have a ton of different crowd control options (sticky bombs, throwing out four kunai at once, black powder bombs, terrifying enemies, rage poison, long standoff streaks...). You don't always want to kick off a big battle, then half the guys die in the opening attack and the rest run away. I thought the early enemies were dying really quickly too, but the gold mongols and the straw hats are a lot better about that.

On hard difficulty setting it feels like everything has a gently increased challenge except the duels. Maybe it's cause I never go into anything with decent armor on, but drat, the duels on hard can be absurdly tough. You gotta keep your thumb on the circle button pretty much the whole time if you want to dodge things at the right moment. I don't really mind how hard they are, but I do wish they wouldn't pop up those "abandon this duel???" prompts when I die to them a lot.

I wish there were more samurai masks in the game that didn't have big huge noses on them.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 3, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I like to just do everything with the traveller's attire and patchwork straw hat because it looks the coolest.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

RaySmuckles posted:

haha, no

when you press forward on the stick jin will do a light run. like half tilt is walk, full tilt is jog. pressing it is sprint.

the glitch is that when you tilt fully jin only walks, unless you wiggle the stick to like 45 degrees or 315 degrees, sometimes all the way to 90 or 270. this affects combat too. its extremely annoying

Sometimes when I'm out of combat and I tilt the stick all the way forward, Jin will walk instead of jog. I thought this was intentional because it never happened in combat.

I think it's kinda funny how winded Jin gets after running 500 meters or whatever. Get your cardio up, man!

Baggot posted:

The worst part of this game is whenever Jin gets naked to get into the hot springs, his back is unblemished and unscarred, despite him taking multiple arrows to the back in the opening of the game!! wtf Sucker Punch

Respect Jin Sakai's Ken Doll body please.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
That was annoying enough that I had to turn off controller vibration a few times.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
In case anybody is wondering from the description of the Lethal difficulty: it doesn't actually make Jin die in one hit from anything, it just increases the difficulty one level higher than hard.

As my in-game arsenal has increased I've had to continually pump up the difficulty. This is one of the few games where I'm starting to think "Jeez, my character is way too strong."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Japanese local governments are always obsessed with boosting tourism through city mascots and such (not that they're alone in this) and being the mayor of Tsushima right now where a huge triple AAA game tearing up the Japanese and American charts showcasing your islands natural beauty and historical importance just falls into your lap at the exact time that a pandemic makes it so that nobody's really permitted to travel must be a level of frustration I could only dream of experiencing.

Calling all tourists! Come to Tsushima and die with honor!