Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Man, you become hilariously lethal in this game. Like I almost regret starting my first file on Normal because after you unlock all the Ghost Weapons and a good chunk of Stance Techniques you just start butchering people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

The game balance imo is just right. You are unstoppable until you get poked 3 times by a spear guy and suddenly you are dead.

Is that on Hard? Because on Normal, and wearing upgraded Samurai Armor I can take quite a few hits, plus you can heal instantly.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Ahaha right as I am having these posts, I got to the part of the game where you start going up against the Straw Hats and yeah I might stick on Normal for just a bit longer

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Not gonna lie it seriously owns that the healing system in this game is just “walk it off”

"Messed up a jump and fell thirty feet onto solid rock? Be a REAL samurai and tough it out, pussy"

- Lord Shimura, at some point probably

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 25, 2020

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I would be relieved because now we might have people stop asking us to make a japan-based one

though honestly I'd be in on a game like this but you're with the Mongolians, maybe with a bigger emphasis on horse combat/shenanigans. Especially if it involved that time period where the golden horde pushed all the way into eastern europe. All of the mongols in this game look cool as hell. I want to be friends with the big guys who swing entire cannons at you.

I actually gotta say, it’s a bit weird and disappointing that you almost never fight any mounted archers in this game. Didn’t the Mongolian Army win so much because of how good their archers were on horseback?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

My Ronin outfit has like 8 different colors yet other outfits only have like 3 or 4. Am I missing anything or is that just the way it is? I'm like 2 achievements away from platting the game.

Ronin outfit just has the most options. I think it’s the only set that has dyes from multiple zones doesn’t it?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Quote From Man Shot With Flaming Arrows:

"What are they gonna do, shoot me with Flaming Arrows?"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Making the player do more damage on Lethal doesn’t make too much sense to me, I’m already at a point where I two shot almost everyone.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

Anyone who picked a black horse and named it Kage I hope you enjoy your upcoming 14th birthday, very excited for you :)

I'm playing a game where I can be a Samurai/Ninja that literally learns *teleports behind u* as a special attack, and says "master, please forgive me as I must go all out"
Like am I not supposed to be edgy here or....

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Man he had a point though, samurai are huge hypocrites and Shimura is one of em even if he is self aware about it. And Jin being like "if you help us we'll make you a samurai like you surely always wanted!" is just insulting. Yeah man, make him feel like he's cheating his way to the samurai life, that'll make him feel better.

There's a conversation near the end of Act 1 that implies Jin may have used some dirty tactics to win that duel, or at least Ryuzo felt he did. We do know that Jin is the "whatever it takes" type at least, and if this duel was important enough for him, well....

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bussamove posted:

The entire first act is Ryuzo whining because things aren’t going his way while also being totally unwilling to actually do anything substantial about it until Jin basically forces him into it, so they certainly keep the characterization consistent.

I will say I found it a bit odd that Ryuzo always complained about never having enough food, while being on the coast of an island that is extremely well known for how good the fishing can be

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Huh, turning on Lethal turns this game into the open world Bushido Blade/Tenchu game that I never knew I needed in my life

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I've gotten enimies to flee in terror even without any gear/charms/weapons/techniques that can make enemies flee. I wonder if "leveling" or the legend system or whatever also has a chance to terror as a hidden stat? It would make sense in game at least.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

As regard to the finale talk:

The way I saw it, almost every single major side character's arc is all about how they lost what precious little family they had left, and how it basically destroyed them. Yuna and Taka, Norio and his brother, the entirety of Masako's story, even the Sensei to an extent, with his whole "I saw her as a daughter" bit. If Jin learned anything from those adventures with them, it should be obvious what his choice would be.

also, while ending Shimura after a duel would be the Honorable thing to do, as Jin himself says; "I have no honor."

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 1, 2020

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Regular arrows don't pierce helmets but poison doesnt care and you can just aim for the body.

If you use the Long Bow, it pierces armor and helmets anyways. Only thing that stops Heavy Arrows is shields.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I find that I usually avoid using the ghost weapons and the explosive arrows because they kind of trivialize a lot of encounters. They're basically my "this group is starting to frustrate me" button. I didn't unlock the smoke bomb until last because I assumed it was just a "run away from enemies" thing, but apparently it's also a win button that lets you assassinate everyone caught in it.

One thing I like is how you have to pick up the ghost weapons/arrows and can't just craft them in a menu; they're so powerful that it would be pretty ridiculous if you could.

You can also buy them from Trappers but yeah, I kind of agree on the whole "no real crafting system" to them, because all the Ghost Weapons are insanely powerful. One well timed Black Powder Bomb wipes out entire squads on Hard.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

something that's happening on my save is that several of some of the character tales are available at once, but I've been careful to do them in order in case doing otherwise would break anything

Certain new tales become available after you’ve increased your legend status enough, that includes the side character tales. I don’t think doing them out of order is too terrible or anything though.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I like the face capture in this game a lot, it feels like real next-level stuff sometimes. (End of Act 2 spoiler) When Jin is telling Shimura "I am not your son, I am the ghost" his lip is trembling just the same as when he was tied up and being confronted by the Khan himself not a few hours prior. Jin is a very, very good protagonist. He feels fear, uncertainty and doubt just like anyone would in his situation. I'm tired of open world protagonists that are a blank slate player insert. Give me more Wei Shens, more Geralts, more Jin Sakais.

Going on this, one complaint I’ve seen with this game is how there isn’t any kind of Morality System, like you could have played it “Honourably” and maybe changed the story/ending, but that totally misses the point of this game. Jin’s entire arc is coming to terms with how far honour can get you against a brutal enemy, the pressures of being his people’s last hope, arguing the value of honour and titles vs. innocent lives, etc.

I think too many people are used to having open world protagonists being kind of a blank state, almost a self insert. Jin is very much his own character, that can and will have different motivations from the players.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Am I just a loving idiot because I can't figure out where this hidden special item is by the Yarikawa gate and my controller is going batshit.

Wait, is Yarikawa fully liberated? Because sometimes the game sees the banners that some NPCs will carry around after as the same banners you are supposed to collect and it can cause the Traveller Set to go off

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Do the stone stance skills work in duels for extra stagger damage since they're all technically swordsmen? I've only done like 5 so far and could only clear 2 on my first try so I'd appreciate any advice

Sure do. Also there's a few duels against Mongolian Captains/Generals who use a Sword and Shield, and going Water will help break their guard as well.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Jin and Yuna has "sequel/DLC hook" written all over it and you are blind if you don't see this

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

if anyone wants to add me for Co-Op, it's Pvt_OrangeCrush, gonna be on most of the day cuz I got the day off and I really want to try this.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Yeah there is definitely a noticeable gap between Bronze Story missions and Silver.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

My hunter has Pocket Sand that sets enemies on fire.

Am... am I throwing white phosphorous at them? :ohdear:

You threw away your honour (and any pledges to follow the Geneva Convention) long ago, Ghost

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Ahahaha, the Fire Damge% multipliers works on Ronin's Black Powder bombs, you can just start nuking entire waves by yourself

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

The new masks are awesome and there's a charm that makes everything gorier

e more gory

Whatever, blood sprays everywhere from the slightest hit

They are really, really going for that early 60’s Samurai cinema feel huh

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I'm only at Silver Missions/Survival, and I just want to say gently caress those teleporting Archer Oni's, gently caress 'em right in their ears.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

This game might finally be the thing to make me get a PS4 headset, even though I've had a PS4 for like 3 years now and the PS5 is almost out lol

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Just get a regular one?

There's no reason to get PS branded headsets.

I was thinking like a Turtle Beach one or something else pretty cheap, I do have a headset but it’s USB

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

On my Samurai I will pop Ult to kill a single bear without a single moment of hesitation, gently caress those things.

Although I do think they are especially weak to fire.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Three questions about nightmare survival:

What the gently caress, seriously?

Does "immunity" mean just immune from fire, or from other effects? (Would have like that explained to me before I went in with my Ronin who's 100% kitted out for fire damage...)

What the gently caress. SERIOUSLY?

It's all status effects; Fire, Poison, Weaken etc.

Just go all in on either raw damage or healing. Hunter/Assassin can still do work, you just need certain charms/effects (Head shot damage, Critical Strike damage, CDR etc)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

One positive thing I will say about this mess is that there IS Friendly Fire on those arrows, so if someone is clever enough they could probably melt a wave of Oni's with those things.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Moon Master as a Samurai is hilarious. Combo it with Blessed Blade off the Samurai Charm, and you are basically invincible while spinning if you have Spirit Pull going

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

If you want to finish all Bonus Objectives on Gold, go to either Shadows of War (the one in the Dojo) or Blood on the Snow. Those two are the easiest by far to finish them all on.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Raid is four man, no match making. From what I heard they balanced it with one of each class in mind as well but who knows.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Chapter 1 with a solid team is so much better for rewards then Gold Survival it's kind of silly. For about the same amount of time you get almost twice the gear and more then twice the honor/experince (assuming you do a full chest clear).
Of course the upshot with it is you need a full four man team I guess.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Yeah the jump from chapter 1 to 2 is uh, significant. Some great scenery though.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jin can die in a flashback memory sequence :aaaaa:

T I M E  P A R A D O X

“Jin? Jin?! JIIIIINNNN!!!!!”

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Yeah I actually agree that Lethal everything dies too fast. It’s odd to say but Hard just makes it feel more like a video game, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

JBP posted:

As long as you've got upgraded gear everyone dies in one or two more hits on hard I reckon. It also heavily neuters how apeshit ghost weapons are. I really like lethal but honestly I think hard is where it's at if you want to actually play the game. Lethal is great for getting that epic samurai feeling tho.

Oh you absolutely do murder everything pretty quick once you have max sword upgrades and some good charms, but on Lethal even stuff like brutes and those double spear guys from the DLC goes down in like, two sword swings max.