Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The combat gives me flashbacks to The Witcher 3 in that I have to point the camera myself while also juggling a bunch of plates and it's a bit of a hamper. The game is super awesome though, the fighting itself is very responsive and cool looking and challenging. I don't play many open world games but I can definitely see why people enjoy the monotony of "clear these camps, climb these towers, pick up 80 war banners" if there's a good gameplay base attached.

edit: The story is really funny though. I started a not-at-all-subtle raid on a camp by coming screaming in on my horse, which I did a flying squirrel leap off of and stabbed a dude in the neck while pile driving him into the ground by landing on his shoulders. Queue
a hyper-slow-motion cutscene in which Jin apologizes to his uncle for attacking from the shadows and demonstrating cowardice, because TECHNICALLY what I did was a stealth attack.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Japanese voices are better than the English ones in my opinion, but I didn't use jp for long because the lip sync is for the english va and it made me feel like my brain was short circuiting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man I can't get enough of this '1v1 me, scrub' button. Jin is right, stealth IS for cowards without honor. I will demand a mano-a-mano opener out of every Mongol group I come across and this game cannot stop me. :black101:

edit:

Also, Kurosawa Mode is actually pretty cool. I thought it'd just be a basic black and white filter with some grain on it to make it look filmic, but actually the black and white responds to contrast so that you can still kinda see when you're in dark areas. It also warps the game's sounds and music so they sound like they're playing through a tinny old speaker. Neat!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 17, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brick Shipment posted:

Every time I get on the horse, the first thing I do is jump off the horse because to me, X is the horse go fast button.

I have swung my sword directly at my horse's head so many times because triangle is the mount horse button in The Last Of Us 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel like Jin learning to let go of his convictions is a core part of his character growth and being impatient and expecting him to give all that up in 1 cutscene is majorly missing the point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I'm seeing all these posts about how the game quadruple downing on 'samurai honor' is eye-rolling, when it seems like it's actually super supposed to be a deconstruction of that very thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you are like me and absolutely cannot stand aiming on a controller, there also are ranged options that don't involve arrow duels with that one archer with 100% accuracy standing on a roof with a 1 pixel large head

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sindai posted:

You can just turn on autoaim. I did because I have no shame.

it's not even super cheaty because you still need to pull up a bit for headshots

My code of honor as a samurai will not allow me to use such frivolous crutches as auto-aim.

*turns on the auto-aim*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Forgive me Uncle, I must break the samurai code and go all out, just this once.

*presses the pet fox button*

edit: Jin Sakai standing in a grocery store holding two boxes of cereal, one of which reads 'NI-OHs' while the other reads 'SAMU-RICE KRISPIES'. Sweat drips from his brow.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 17, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jin Sakai stands up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night but realizes that he will have to tread quietly to avoid waking his housemates. He sits back down

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I was playing for a while last night, and randomly in the middle of assassinating some guys it flashed back to the cutscene where Jin's uncle instructs him to always look an enemy in the eyes. It was well after the mission with Yuna where you first learn to do it, and it was just a short cut. Is there some kind of hidden morality system that changes the outcome of the game based on how "honorable" you are? I hope not, because now I'm worried about sneaking or using the ghost skills at all when the game clearly wants me to.

The point at which the game decided to give me this cutscene was also hilarious

https://clips.twitch.tv/FunnyJollyFoxStrawBeary

edit: Oh neat, SA can embed twitch clips now. I hope this doesn't auto play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The hud is cool and I like how minimal it is but I think the health bar is a little TOO small. I can't really keep one eye on it so I end up healing after every hit I take with no clue how much resolve I have left.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My first photo mode shot. Sunset in this game looks really cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I finally found a shrine where the fox stuck around after instead of running off! Thus, I got to engage in some fox petting action.

To the victor go the photo mode spoils.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha, cool, I ran into the family Jin saves at the stables at the end of the intro mission. You can have a short conversation with them about it too. I love it when games do stuff like that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I usually fast travel whenever the objective is on top of a big ol cliff that I don't feel like climbing a second time. What's cool though is that lots of the big mountains I've been finding so far have proper trails winding up them, so if you want to take your horse instead of climbing you totally can.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Seems like you can't observe some of the leaders, they need to be 'doing' something like training with the sword or archery. If they're just milling about or whatev I don't think it'll let you observe them. Those are the two nebulous dots I connected, at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Red means you cannot block or parry and you must dodge, blue means you cannot block but you can still parry.

edit:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately unlike a certain other game that came out recently there isn't a dedicated Catch Some Z's On Horse Pillow button. It's one of the animations you can get when you load into the game or clear a mission.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a tip that I think is pretty important: You can use multiple resolve orbs at once. If you're very low on health but have a lot of resolve, mash the down d-pad and it'll use multiples in one burst without having to wait. You also can use resolve and fiddle with your equipped ninjitsu during special moves where you don't have control, or those sword-locking animations with bosses.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh man, I just had a guy in a stronghold give up and yield, I didn't know that could happen. If you take out the leader in front of any mooks they'll recoil like WOAH DID HE JUST KILL OUR BOSS but this time one dude just straight up ran like hell and never came back. Possibly the most intelligent video game enemy I've ever seen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macaluso posted:

edit: Also gently caress me man you're a legendary warrior or whatever, you should be able to land from way higher without dying. That drives me insane

Buy the skill that lets you hit the dodge button to roll while landing, you can fall MUCH further without even taking damage if you do the roll.

edit: beat by a full minute. I bring shame to the quickdraw samurai arts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Hootington posted:

This game is making me wish it had ripped off more Witcher 3 than asscreed

Give me those folklore monsters, ghosts, and demons.

Nioh has what you seek

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
goats of tsushima

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you Sucker Punch for not making the one millionth samurai game that takes place in the feudal era

edit: Well ok I guess it is still the feudal era but it's not the one everyone knows. My point is thank god Nobunaga isn't gonna be alive for like 250 years because it means they can't shoehorn him in

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 19, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

for all of nioh's faults in storytelling, and there are many, i'm a big fan of how the original game treated nobunaga

Nobunaga drools Ieyasu rules

this meme made by the tokugawa gang

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lord Jin Sakai is known for his disarming personality

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hahahaha fuckin gently caress yes, I love when weird interaction stuff like this happens in games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

404notfound posted:

I've fought a few bears now and they seem pretty trivial. I do a heavy hit, and then dodge their two unblockable attacks, and repeat. Does it get harder later on?

Possibly by adding more bears if that counts, I found a roaming pack of three of the bastards and a sticky bomb sorted that out right quick. I wasn't even gonna try.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

black.lion posted:

Noice

So this game is amazing but lvl 1 samurai armor is the best looking and i wish i could go back

You can. Go to your Gear menu and customize a piece of armor, scroll back to whichever upgrade level you want to look like, and hit (I think) triangle.

edit: Beat once again. I am no duelist it seems

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stormgale posted:

I gotta give the game credit for avoiding adding "period appropriate" homophobia, it's nice to just have LGBT characters and lovers as part of normal drama instead of working in the slurs. (So far, I'm still only on act 2)

Someone in my livestream chat was doomsaying about the game potentially erasing female warriors of the time period to tell a fictional macho samurai story and I had a hearty lol at him when the very first sidequest character's whole quest revolves around Tomoe Gozen, who is a real person

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's also a very small quibble but I wish this game had sprint as a toggle. I don't like having to pull off the stick and stop moving to stop sprinting or galloping, wish I could just click it a second time to go back to normal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell yeah please give me a dueling competition mode and make it like the other best samurai dueling game ever made, Kirby Super Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN3AF9rdwAg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will duel you all /
Letting go of triangle /
Face me you cowards

edit:

You cannot touch me /
Samurai dancing like wind /
Stand and fight, Mongols

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A game with one flaw /
I babysit the right stick /
Camera control sucks

(is camera three syllables or two?)

edit:

Incorrect haiku /
Is camera three syllables? /
I really hope not

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JT Jag posted:

This game rules. Unfortunately I'm having a weird bug where it's saying "Cannot Fast Travel During Current Objective". And now I guess I'm softlocked because I can't move between zones? Can't find other instances on it online either, just a battle fast travel glitch.

Your horse has gone turncoat on you. You know what you must do.

But actually, that's a bummer. Check the journal? Perhaps there's something the game wants you to complete first that it's not telling you about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:cripes: Listen there's a lot on his mind right now I don't blame him for becoming distracted

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

Played for 7 hours
Unlocked all stances, ghost weapons
Still in act 1, lol

The wildest part about this was when I was like "aw it's kind of a bummer that just doing the sidequests in Act 1 gets you all the tools and unlocks all the skills" and then the game was instantly like "you think this is all the tools? you fool. you imbecile. you absolute moron."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Last Of Us 2 /
Press Triangle to mount horse /
Godfather reference

edit:

I swung at Nobu /
I'll be the one who's sent to /
The glue factory