Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game really got lost in the sea of games that Sony was firing off previews for in the last few years, i.e. Spider-Man, Resident Evil 2, Last of Us 2, Horizon, etc. Add in the PS5 reveal later in the year and the covid catastrophe and man it's unfortunate, because I've thought it has looked cooled from the early vids showing it in motion. I keep hoping it's a stylistic BOTW with great combat that has a long experience and very big diverse world to explore. It'll be really cool if the reviews drop tomorrow and they're mostly really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reviews should be dropping in around 30 min

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Destructoid: 9.5
Kotaku: Positive
Game Informer: 9.5
Gamespot: 7
IGN: 9
Easy Allies: 8.5

Wow, getting way better reviews than I imagined.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The reviews keep comparing it to assassin's creed. I've only played Odyssey and I thought that game was very fun, so if the gameplay is on par with that then I think I'll enjoy it. As long as the gameplay is solid and enjoyable in some way I don't really care that it doesn't try anything new. I wasn't really expecting the game to push any boundaries anyway.

I'm more worried about me personally not liking the map/waypoint system. I kind of hope there's an option to just like... turn on an arrow or at least hope the wind mechanic can be made more obvious than they showed in the gameplay preview months ago. I'm the kind of person that wants all the helpful hud elements

yeah selling this as AC But Not actually seems cool to me. It looks like it combines the serenity of BOTW's open world with the ninja poo poo and questline structure of AssCreed, though without some of the Ubisoft bloat. That combination sounds like my jam so I'll probably get this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol Amazon says delivery expected "August 11 to Sept 1" guess I'm getting digital

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

I tried the same thing. Walmart and Best Buy’s website says it will arrive on Friday if you want another option.

Just did this, thanks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can understand why game reviewers will be harder about how something is Just Another Open World, when it's their job to probably play through one AssCreed, a Far Cry, and like 5 to 6 other checklist games a year. Personally I've never had that problem since I try to limit myself to like 2 big ones or so a year. 2018 I played Spider-Man and God of War and no other real "open world" adjacent games.

The closest thing I've played to something like that this year is FF7 sort of alongside a shitload of RPGs and dabbling with Mad Max, which is nothing like this samurai game. So I'm happy that this looks like it'll be a nice open world change of pace

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

quickly learned with that last group of enemies before the Heavenly Slice duel that sometimes it's better to assassinate like half the enemies before fighting them. Some groups are so loving large and without any upgrades it was kicking my rear end. Wanted to do a standoff in that area but it wasn't feasible.

Also gently caress archers. So many times I've had a fight go sour because I need to keep minding 2 or 3 of those jerks. This was the camp before the aforementioned fight above and I have to do some assassinations just because without culling the herd, archers would have been getting too annoying. Then again I keep forgetting I have kunai lol.

I assume I tackled the Mythic quest a little too early and on Hard but I did it anyway. I love the how sword stances and combat opens up so you can really just tackle things however you like. It's fast and furious and my only gripe is sometimes I wish there was real lock-on, but I sort of understand why there isn't.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

don;t want to spoil anything too much but I just did the first 2 "main" missions i.e. got the bow and helped Yuna. How soon do you start getting armors? Are they just found through mission/tale rewards, also how many of them are just cosmetic?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thanks for replies, sounds good :hf: right now I'm on Hard and it's plenty challenging, I hope that even with better armors/sword upgrades/ability to parry spears and poo poo, the game keeps being a fair challenge and the combat keeps being engaging.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

even though I know AC Origins was accepted as a really good open world game, the thing that made me hop off was the fact that enemies had loving levels, so you were punished for exploring beyond your reach and things were artificially gated. Also if you turned the HUD off you'd have no clue enemies were overleveled lol.

I'm glad this game solves both issues with a) you can realistically just overcome any enemy camp and there aren't really any "level gates" though some areas def were probably of a higher difficulty for me early on, and b) some of those shrine areas literally told me as I approached "you dont have a tool necessary to complete this" which is REALLY loving helpful. Saves you the time of trying to figure out why you can't progress, or spending 5 minutes getting to a roadblock and realize you can't do poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

could I pick off archers with arrows and then initiate a standoff if I haven't been detected or is Standoff only available before you do anything else

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

I've said it before, but everything about this game really does scream "WE JUST WANT YOU TO HAVE FUN"

also great that the game will stop you from accidentally falling off cliffs that would kill you and you can't walk off unless you deliberately jump. There are just so many little stupid things that would gently caress with me in other games but this one has a lot of quality control so you can just focus on exploring and being a wandering samurai.

Also cool how you just naturally find things to do and instead of climbing a loving tower, you just happen upon areas and missions and/or talk to people, which feels more organic. Not only that but you can pretty much just stop doing that for a while so you don't overwhelm yourself with icons all over.

I just got the "deflect arrows" skill along with the first major armor from the lady warrior, now the combat feels really good and with a little less bullshit from archers. I can still get killed if I slip up even from roadside bandits though and I love that

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it absolutely owns when sometimes I randomly get a camp's leader be the one to get involved in a standoff. Very much left to chance but it's cool.

One of the bigger camps I stumbled into just from a Rumor had like 2 objectives before suddenly a Big Bad Boss popped up which was really cool, I don't think he was even mentioned on the Map icon.

Also holy poo poo just realized you can change your armor's look even after upgrades, really nice option to leave off the shoulderpads for the samurai armor since sometimes I was iffy on how it looked in Water Stance lol. Just really neat how little fun things and QoL stuff that never would get addressed in other games have been nitpicked in this one. Really feeling like the devs absolutely loved making this and all the things you can do and see therein.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Lethal difficulty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm curious just how much more aggressive enemies could be lol. in terms of games that come close to this combat system i.e. Batman/Mad Max/etc this is by far the most "gently caress you we will destroy your rear end if we surround you" combat of them all which owns. granted you can thin the herd with kunai/bombs/standoffs but you need that sometimes when you're against 7 melee dudes and 3 archers.

I do love how the devs have drawn a hard line at making it artificially more difficult i.e. just pumping up the HP of enemies, which is the shittiest, most unfun way to do ANY game difficulty. For that reason I really hated the Ultimate difficulty of Spider-Man because it not only juiced up enemy health and damage, it tanked your own hp/damage making everything a loving grind.