Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Game good. I'm doing my usual thing though where I obsessively explore the map removing the little splotches of white fog that get left behind. Also I've barely progressed the story beyond the end of Act 1 (although I did go and get the family armor because samurai barbie is fun) and my entire goal right now is to continue to pile up cosmetic options. I might have a problem. Send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Strobe posted:

The fog is cleared from the rest of the entire map section and every point of interest that you haven't already cleared is marked with a ? even if it was way the gently caress out there (like some of the islands).

Holy gently caress I can stop running around clearing out the splotches of fog now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

JBP posted:

History's most misunderstood terrorist rape empire doesn't get a fair shake.

:vince:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I thought I was unstoppable as I became a blood tornado through Act 1 and then I reached Act 2 and found that I was still mortal. I had a session yesterday where I was struggling with guys who shoot fire and had a standoff success score of 1 out of 9. It was bad.

Standoffs are a very well designed feature. You open the game and the low level enemies are just chaff during standoffs. I was beginning to think it was a lot of wasted animation for a super easy way to kill 1-2 guys with impunity. Then they introduce feints. Biting on a feint is the worst outcome, but it means that you hesitate for the briefest of moments and will end up just getting hit instead. The reward is perfectly balanced though because at this point getting it right means you've thinned 4-5 guys out of a group.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The gust of wind after that mythic attack always gets me

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just through Act 2

The whole thing where Jin is made out to be some kind of criminal is very forced. When I was playing this game I hardly ever used poison. I do standoffs basically every chance I get. If there was a slider where at one end was PERFECT BUSHIDO SAMURAI and the other was HONOR-LESS MURDERER I'd only be like a quarter away from PERFECT BUSHIDO SAMURAI, but the story forces me to poison an entire fort's worth of mongols and piss off my uncle.

I think games these days go too far with forcing people into alternate endings, but I feel this was a serious missed chance. This could have had small elements of the Dishonored system based on how you played the game.

Anyways, this game is good, but that's a *minor* gripe I had with it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

End of act 2 spoilers plus question: Do you get a chance to replace your horse? I realize that you get a new one almost immediately but I can’t customize it. Is there a permanent replacement later so I can continue with full samurai Barbie and so my horse doesn’t look sickly?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

:discourse:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Black Horse Kage :colbert:

Act 3 spoilers: followed by Dappled Kaze

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

I started having a bitch of a time with later-game standoffs. I know all the sighting tricks --watch the lower body/draw an imaginary line-- but for some reason my timing has been off since last night.

So I had this same problem. I found that focusing on the hips/feet actually made it worse. I stopped biting on feints but I would just not be able to react in time. I stopped doing that. I can't quite describe what my process is because I'm also not dialed in on their upper body. More like I relax my focus a little bit and wait until their whole body is moving. My success rate went way up. I'll bite on a feint occasionally, maybe 20-25% of the time, but I rarely just get hit without reacting now - which was really starting to piss me off.

Fully upgraded sakai armor + winning a standoff and boy, you've either wiped out an entire patrol or you've cleared half a camp. Immediate follow-up with kunai, or smoke bomb and combo assassination and you're done. If I want to sword fight more and not just win outright like that I'll throw on Gosaku's armor with a bunch of stagger charms.

I've got to take pictures of my different cosmetic options because they're all so good and I like all of them. Half my time is spent making sure that the build I'm using also looks cool.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The end of the Peace for the Divine quest is incredibly :shobon:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just finished the main story. I have 4 trophies left for platinum. I think I have to bow at altars, knock someone off a cliff, and then ?? I don't know i"m just going to look it up.

End game spoilers: The boss fight with the khan was awesome in every way. Starting off with a normal duel and then transitioning to a fight where all bets are off and you can use your whole arsenal ruled.

In the end I gave Uncle Shimura the death he asked for. The whole quest that led up to the duel with him was excellently done.

Anyways, great game. Will probably play again on lethal next time.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Yep that was one too.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

It's going to be hard for me then because I cleared all the camps. I might try and drag a random patrol towards a cliff or something.

Edit: It just struck me that the light house near Izumo bay has enemies that spawn near it. I might be able to drag someone to the cliff's edge there or to the top of the lighthouse.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Best way to finish a duel is definitely Heavenly Strike.

This, except Blade Dance.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Since that stat of "enemies fled in fear" made me think of it: I highly recommend a fear build.

Maxed out ghost armor
Major Charm that increases triggering of fear by 25% I think
Minor charms that cause %fear when someone is set on fire

Throw in the perfect parry skills and ghost stance and boy, I didn't have to fight a whole bunch of dudes. Just make sure to use your fire oil, fire arrows, bombs and exploding arrows.

It's hilariously effective. An Act3/endgame build to be sure, but still awesome once you get to it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Skypie posted:

I got the Gosaku and please, game, just give me a giant maned helm so I can be Takeda Shingen from Sengoku Basara

I've got good news for you. Keep upgrading that armor.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

I legit cannot understand people that want that. Like when has a morality system ever amounted to more than "max out one side as fast as possible to get its ultimate ability." Even in SP's other games that's all the morality was, and its boring as hell. There's never any bonuses or even minor positives for trying to stay neutral on the scale, or god forbid move from one end to the other.

I don't really want a full morality system at all at least as far as I understand what exactly you mean by morality system. But the way that the use of poison is just hamfistedly jammed down our throats I feel that there could have been a couple points in the game could have had critical choices that slightly altered the endings.

Like, Dishonored 2 had a morality system that had slight gameplay effects and different endings. This whole thing where you either stay true to your code or abandon it could have had interesting effects while not really changing the story all that much. In think it would have worked wonders here to have something similar.

But otherwise no, a paragon/renegade or samurai/ghost scale that locks conversation options and endings is not a good choice. All this said, I'm still cool with the story as is. I think it's very well done. In a perfect world I'd have preferred more agency over the critical choice the PC makes that basically seals his destiny.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I'm somewhat upset that every Kenji quest didn't involve Jin hiding in some kind of receptacle.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Baggot posted:

I used heavenly strike to execute him and it was badass!!

:same:

I feel like the rest of them got off too easy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I feel like 'the protagonist has been captured and has lost all their gear' is pretty much a cliche at this point and I hate when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I like that NG+ starts you after fighting the Khan on the bridge.