Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the art direction in this game is just so insanely good. composing a haiku at dawn with the last remnants of some pink clouds drifting past the tree tops, having an epic samurai showdown with lightning crashing all around, i'm loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, they've been pretty explicit that it's a game that is based on Samurai movies and not real history. So it's a copy of a copy and samurai fiction is similar to westerns in term of its disconnect from the real history it is meant to portray.

I'm genuinely surprised how many people seem to have expected a nuanced and historically accurate tale from a game that straight up goes: Animal Spirits are Real, all the legends you read growing up were true, have fun dueling people in a world of endless falling leaves.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
sneaking through an enemy base, right up to an enemy commander, but instead of assassinate i press challenge

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

the hats in this game are excellent

the full head straw hat you find along the road + ragged traveler garb is :h:

a bunch of the cutscenes even frame your face so it's looking out the slashed up part.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the_enduser posted:

Where was this at? I need all the hats!

Wanderer's Straw Hat location:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJrPWIe3E4

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
love to ride through fields

these dudes all got a death wish

guess i'll write haiku

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

You can’t assassinate/attack through paper doors so apparently nobody learned anything from Chaos Theory Jesus gently caress why has God forsaken me

door assassinate is locked to story progression, finish the first chapter castle attack.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the little touches from unprompted bowing to things are so good. the swirl of leaves at your father's grave just completed that scene perfectly.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All the haiku spots are wonderful.

i've never had a videogame lower my heart rate and make me legit feel calm like the haiku interludes do and it makes me happy :3:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There should be a meditation gesture where Jin sits down and you can put the controller down and the camera will calmly look around the surroundings while the wind blows and some soothing music plays.

:yeah:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

At first the map looked small for an open world but this game seems huge. I have maybe uncovered the fog of war from 30% of the first
area after 6 or so hours.

yeah, i expected it to feel pretty cramped going in, but the first part felt just right and the second half is feeling even bigger.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the art of seeing :smithcloud:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

I was thinking that initially too, but often they'll conveniently fade to black somehow to force a time of day, and the weather overall can shift really drat quickly in real-time. They seem to cleverly use both to maximize cinematic effect without GTA style "come do this at night" or immediate fade to black when you start the mission.

i'm curious of the game logic, since i've seen a bunch of time of day and massive weather shifts during cutscene transitions as well. not a complaint though as it always seems to be fitting to the narrative and the whole game has a slightly dreamlike a e s t h e t i c anyway.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

History's most misunderstood terrorist rape empire doesn't get a fair shake.

lol seriously. the mongol invasions were not a pleasant cultural exchange for those on the receiving end.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know what dappled means but the horse is white and named Sora.

white horse sora crew :respek:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That was an excellent ending to the game. I got a little misted up during the final haiku, but sorry uncle you're death was the only way to give both of us closure :hai:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChrisBTY posted:

I just finished it. It's a great game but I think I'm ready to put it in the rear view and never look back. It has hosed with my mood in pretty bad ways.

a force of pure destruction desecrating everything around you for their own perverse gain. An intact power structure more concerned with maintaining decorum and their own authority than addressing the problems of the nation. Being punished for doing what they would not and could not. The authority justifying their selfishness by pointing to a singular imperfection.

I wanted to try to go for platinum. I just can't handle anymore. I need a palette cleanser

Stay safe out there, being the Ghost is a lot easier in a videogame than real life.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone found any 'random' encounters similar to in act 1 where you confront the lady samurai by some villagers on a road, and she distracts you be saying "hey go investigate over this cliff" then you turn around and she killed them and you have to fight her?". I thought that was a great little moment and wasn't sure if there were any more like it.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

threelemmings posted:

An important note is you're looking from you own viewpoint. Jin is a true believer, both in his uncle and in the samurai. Think back to Yuna act 2 missions. Jin keeps going on about how Shimura will for sure give her the passage to Japan. The instant she and Shimura meet they hate each other and not only does Jin not notice but even if he did he wouldn't understand why.

He does go off on his uncle on things changing, bit that's more of a tactics than a society thing.

Agreed, I never got the impression Jin was developing down the path of some kind of hero for the proletariat. A lot of the side commentary was always 'boy this poison / dishonorable tactic sure sucks, can't wait for these mongols to be gone so things can return to normal. Even all the interactions with peasants are the classic "benevolent samurai lord" who wants to protect his people but isn't shy about dishing out his own justice. Which imo is exactly as one would expect for his background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Fear not, citizens, your new hero is at hand!

that's a fantastic combination