Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So I was playing for a while last night, and randomly in the middle of assassinating some guys it flashed back to the cutscene where Jin's uncle instructs him to always look an enemy in the eyes. It was well after the mission with Yuna where you first learn to do it, and it was just a short cut. Is there some kind of hidden morality system that changes the outcome of the game based on how "honorable" you are? I hope not, because now I'm worried about sneaking or using the ghost skills at all when the game clearly wants me to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, good. I'm gonna go hog wild then.

Dan Didio posted:

It doesn't. I got mine leaping off a clip to assassinate the guys trying to shoot down that poor dude on the bridge.

Lol, me too actually.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The one thing I don't like about the visuals are the giant white "wind" streak effects. I think the particles blowing around are more than enough to guide me, the streaks just clutter the scenery and ruin the effect.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jin faces an enemy with sunglasses.
Jin kneels and exposes his neck. "Make it quick," he growls.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Woah, I just had a weird bug. I was on a horse that wasn't mine (by mistake, I didn't notice until the issue started - it might be what caused it) and it started running on its own in random directions no matter where I pushed the stick. Plus I couldn't get off - neither X nor circle would let me hop off. Fast travelling fixed it, thankfully, and I was back on my own horse. Very odd, but not too detrimental.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah you can't go into it expecting anything other than another stock open world game, but it is a good one. It's pretty much lockdown comfort food - wander around, look at pretty scenery, kill some dudes, check some boxes. I'm into it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FiftySeven posted:

2. Goddamnit, how hard would it have been to make it so that if you are playing in Japanese, the characters mouths matched the dialogue? I wouldnt mind but they specifically highlight the option to play in Japanese and you would think that they would have done something about it. Its making me strongly consider playing in English against my will...

Very very hard, as it was likely mocapped.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I switched to English pretty quick, and I usually prefer Japanese with subtitles. Thankfully I really like the English voices, Jin's voice in particular is wonderfully measured and calm.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

haikus are only
supposed to be on nature
how do i end this

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm out on a walk around my neighborhood right now and I had to stop myself from following a yellow crested bird flying by me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

How! posted:

I got mauled by a bear immediately after writing a haiku and he tried to throw me off a cliff.

Everyone's a critic

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm getting curious about Sucker Punch's previous games now. I've never played any of the Infamous games - do they hold up? And if I were to play any, which should I start with? Second Son, I'm guessing?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

second son is the ps4 game. 2 is the good sequel on ps3.

Yeah, I'm aware of what systems they're on. Both 1 and 2 are on PS Now. So Second Son wasn't as good compared to #2?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

(Armor spoiler)

Very disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a white dye for the Act 3 Ghost armor. :colbert:

There is, but it's a bit of a spoiler. Well, ok, a huge spoiler.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

I guess I'll wait then!

It's actually the only thing in the game that's missable. You choose between two colors and can't get the other one. Without giving away the ending, but still relatively spoilery: you have to make a choice at the end of the game. If you make the choice on the LEFT, you get white ghost armor. If you make the choice on the RIGHT, you get red ghost armor. Either way you have to finish the game to get it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The colors are backwards to the choice and it’s super hosed.

I didn't realize it before but it's actually telegraphed by the position of the white petals and red leaves on the ground in the ring that kind of form a yin-yang symbol.

I ended up with white, but both look really cool so I'd have been happy with either one.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

jabro posted:

End game question:

Can anyone give me a rundown on what happens if you let you uncle live? Mainly what is said between the two and what is said with Yuna at the hut. I’m guessing uncle just kills himself immediately to keep the pacing the same but would like verification.

Nah he just says that the Ghost will be hunted forever, and Jin accepts it and puts on the mask. Shimura lives, and you get red ghost armor instead of white.

Both endings carry the same emotional weight, it's very well executed no matter which you go with.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

JBP posted:

I reckon those are a waste because people on the road will direct you to Mongol camps and those will reveal the area's locations. Wind of vanity is worth it though because the map doesn't disclose sweet hats.

Yeah they're kind of a waste to get before you've maxed everything out, but I maxed out my skill points partway through act 3 so it's not that big of a deal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah there's another one called Warrior's Faith. I don't remember where I picked it up, probably a pillar of honor.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah, Jin clearly has the best taste in straw hats, since he can wear one of those monk bucket hats.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alkarl posted:

vv: Well poo poo, I stand corrected. I need to find this.

You get it in act 3, immediately southwest of the temple that becomes your base.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm partial to some of the ones you find in act 2 that have moss all over them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Romes128 posted:

Cool, thanks. I haven't seen any in the world after the tutorial mission. Guess I gotta stop fast traveling and ride around more.

I think they always spawn in the grass patches you hide in, at least that's where I've always seen them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quiet Python posted:

Do you have to do questlines in order? I've got Masako's sixth and seventh quests unlocked. Will it not make sense if I do 7 before I do 6?

Nah they're designed do that you can do them in any order if there are multiple ones available.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

I have predictions about the Ishikawa quest chain that it will turn out that he tried to make romantic advances on Tomoe or something. I assumed this at first, then decided against it after the reveal of him training some guy who did bad things, and then returned to it after Masako made some comment about "an old man taking in this young woman being trouble." Also Ishikawa just comes off as very dubious in general; dude is definitely trying to hide something still.

He does have secrets but they relate more to why he's no longer a samurai, not that. He really did consider Tomoe his daughter.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ShootaBoy posted:

God I would love to see this as a full ronin wandering Japan thing.

There's a spin-off in the Yakuza series where you play as Musashi in the 1800s.

... It's Japan-only :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What does everyone find is the fastest way to rank up classes? Survival or story?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Video I saw last week summed it up to do either fast gold clears or full silver clears for best ranking XP.

Of story, I assume you mean?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I found the best way to get over that hump is to stick to the first few story missions for your initial silver/gold runs, until you're more like 85 or 90 ki.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I would imagine if 3/4 people are the bare minimum level for silver, yeah, you're gonna struggle.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Three questions about nightmare survival:

What the gently caress, seriously?

Does "immunity" mean just immune from fire, or from other effects? (Would have like that explained to me before I went in with my Ronin who's 100% kitted out for fire damage...)

What the gently caress. SERIOUSLY?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol and of course my Ki 110 legendary sword is way of the flame

(Yes I know I can reroll that but I specifically set it up that way on purpose)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I find myself doing a lot more perfect parries as soon as I equipped some +Perfect parry window items. Makes sense, as I had that same attribute equipped through most of the solo game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

lol @ the people going "well why was that ronin on the roof? you should never be outside the circle!!!"

In a game with stealth mechanics, climbing mechanics, ranged weapons, and gifts you can only buy by going outside the circle... The way to play the ultimate challenge correctly is to never leave the circle

Yeah the arrow barrages need to go. There's plenty of other ways they can make nightmare more challenging - boss waves every wave, adding in mechanics from the story like linked twins, spirits, attunements, etc. At the VERY LEAST they should have the fire spirits appear on the map and be killable.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 27, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Waroduce posted:

This is a fantastic piece of DLC and i am deeply appreciative but gold is too god drat long and i wish they randomized the points every match or every other wave honestly. like there are parts of those levels there is no reaso nto go to that look pretty fun.

have they made any noise about an update or whats next?

You think that's bad, on release, Gears 5 had only one option for Horde mode - 50 waves, which takes about 2 hours. Every lower level match I played ended by people getting bored and leaving, and the higher level matches... Getting wiped because someone left.

Apparently they added a shorter version with 12 waves recently, which is much more sane, but I was done with the game long before that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ryuujin posted:

Huh. Then the video I watched about weapons was wrong because it said Hunters. If that is the case then I kind of wish I had unlocked Ronin, though the class seems to be mostly support which doesn't help me playing solo.

Yeah the video is wrong. Don't worry, you unlock classes pretty fast, just keep ranking up on your other two classes by doing the Story missions and you'll get there soon enough. With the way Ki works (your items being shared across classes) your new classes will be viable right away, aside from a few unlockable abilities (which are nice, but not vital until Gold/Nightmare).

Trying to play solo, other than Bronze Story, is pointless. It's slower, you don't get any better rewards, and past the intermediate story missions on Silver, it's practically impossible. Let alone Survival. That said Ronin are VERY VERY powerful as fighters, it just takes a bit of planning and the right items (the bombs are particularly important).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 29, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mercedes posted:

Glitch was fixed last patch

Just tried it out on a game of survival, and the glitch is most definitely NOT fixed. Here's another primer on how to do it (spoiled in case someone doesn't want to see how to use an exploit):

Press Down on the Dpad to start the animation of firing the special arrow
Start holding L2 and don't let go
Don't press R2 yet - wait for the arrow to fire on its own
After the first one fires, you can now fire explosive/stunning arrows as fast as you can press the R2 button (well, as fast as normal arrows anyway)
Find a high place where you can see 2+ defense rings and start firing away. Make sure you have some room to walk back and forth to avoid enemy ranged attacks.

It's powerful, but not altogether game breaking - it can make some earlier waves pretty easy, but if you start relying on it it can mess you up during later waves on gold, especially if your team isn't coordinating well - if you do down you tend to be in an awkward position to be revived. It's fun to play with until they fix it, though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yep, I got a hold of one. It's still useful even for the Samurai, because that means you can select a different technique and still have that ability.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hah, I just got the all-stance katana on the survival round I just played. Neat, but I'll never use it. The Wind one that does double damage 20% of the time is probably way better. Although currently I'm using the legendary charm that gives +15% damage at full health temporarily until I have more legendaries and have gotten most of my basic items to 110 on all my characters.

I've found Moon stance to be my favorite, the spin is good against just about anyone, and the brutes are usually the biggest threat anyway. Although Wind can be great if you have the trait that lets you stab guys who you threw (although bombs work even better for that).

Frog Act posted:

Wind Master also lets you totally clown regular sized guys by kicking them over then stabbing them and then kicking them over again, ad infinitum, with the fringe benefit of being able to deal with Spears and being nearly as good as water stance’s hold triangle attack

I don't know if they toned down spear guys for this mode or what, but most of their moves are parryable with ANY stance, so I don't have a problem with them. Shield guys are generally more of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Survival: Shadows of War / Slower Revives

Thank gently caress, that can be pretty much ignored with a good Ronin or four.