Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

free hubcaps posted:

also it seems kind of funny that apparently opposite to a lot of people's fears, the stealth elements are kind of mediocre and the swordplay is excellent
This is good because I fully intend to run up to every single Mongol I see and yell WANNA DUEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Usually in big AAA games the dissonance is usually the plot being "urgh...i just want a quiet life with my family...i don't want to kill..." as you mow down hundreds of gangsters but here the plot will be going "urgh...i don't want to be a dishonorable ninja...i have turned my back on my teachings..." as I walk in the front door and yell my intentions top volume at a dozen swordsmen.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Earlier in the thread I made jokes about wanting to 1v1 the entire mongol horde but I'm eating my words because they will gang up on you and tear you to poo poo on hard difficulty.

I like how parrying is about as hard as it is in Sekiro but perfect-parrying actually feels harder which makes me feel super cool when I pull it off.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I slap on as many Terrify perks and increase-chance-to-happen-effects charms as I can find and the mongols fall all over themselves at the first sign of blood it rules.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm approaching the endgame and it's been very enjoyable but I do wonder what the game would have been like if it wasn't open world. The biggest emotional scenes are still pretty good but they feel undermined by Jin then returning to 'default Jin'. It feels like Act 3 Jin should be a significantly different person from Act 1 Jin (ESPECIALLY after the act 2 climax) but it still feels like he's just equivocating about dipping into dishonor when he should really be swimming in it. Stuff like his speech to (act 3 sidequest spoiler) Norio at the end of Norio's tale feel a little off when chronologically Jin did much worse for much the same reasons only a few days ago and had no problem with it.

I wonder if the game's story would have hit better if it was structured more like Metal Gear Solid 3 or something, with large play-areas connected by smaller corridor-style connective tissue you gradually advanced through with the occasional big setpiece, so Jin could have a real tragic arc.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
God damnit I eBay'd my copy yesterday and shipped it off just this morning.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've been thinking about this game a lot since they announced the Director's Cut but not a PC release. I loved pretty much everything about it but re-sold my physical copy while it was still worth something.

I'm super-curious about Legends mode. Does the 1v1/1vMany combat from singleplay translate well to a co-op mode? If I start playing now will it be hard to find games as a new player if everyone committed is in high-level gear?

Besides Legends and Lethal mode (which sounds fun) has there been any other post-launch content or have they been saving everything for the DC edition?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Legends is incredibly cool. I don't know if only four survival maps will get old eventually but right now it's fun as hell. Does the ki level of my sword affect damage, or just my ki level overall? There're some stances I'm not a real fan of and Legends seems to lock you to a single stance at a time.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Someone mentioned it a long time ago but now that I've got to Gold-level Legend missions I really wish it was just a difficulty modifier rather than locked to a the 25-wave level because I'd really like a survival that didn't take 45mins for decent rewards.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm booting up Legends right now because that's fantastic news.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got through Chapter 1 in a random group but from reading the chapter 2 guide it seems a premade with voice comms would be necessary. I'm definitely going to try though because it's insanely cool.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How do you play Archer in legends? Just play like any other melee until you get levelled and have a whole build?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Kill enemies to bank orbs to cause bad things to happen to the other side you say?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Rivals is really fun! You get to send across a bunch of hazards for the other team to deal with and there's even a couple of optional objectives you can do if you feel confident. Since there's only two of you the mob density isn't as large as in Survival but it's just enough to feel challenging without being bullshit hard (at least at the 100-110 tier I played at). It's a shame the only cosmetics seem to be locked to Nightmare mode but the gameplay itself is basically 'more Tsushima' except with a race against time.

Also you get extra rewards for bowing to the other team before the match starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The game looks so good on PS5 it's unreal, I thought Forbidden West looked great but GoT's style is a level beyond. I'm starting from scratch to go through it all again.

Does Lethal have any rewards associated with it?