Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Me 5 minutes into Ghost of Tsushima: "Yet another open world game but this time it's a samurai game from a western studio. This will surely be terrible."

Me 30 hours into Ghost of Tsushima: "Why am I having so much fun?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Having a specific button to yell “face me,cowards!” at the enemy is real fun.

I loooove the "fight me!" button. I can't believe they made it a viable alternative to stealth since you can potentially one-shot three dudes in a row before you kick the doors down. Even high level enemies if you're lucky. Every time I get close to an enemy base I wait for the objectives to pop up. "No prisoners to free? Okay, time to walk right in through the front gate."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Is the second act supposed to be just thunderstorms all the time?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

You behaving dishonorably makes the weather worse :smuggo:

This game sure loves to give you poo poo for engaging with the mechanics it forces you to use.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Earwicker posted:

i guess? that seems kind of a weird interpretation. personally i enjoy the rain and thunderstorms more than clear skies so i dont see how they are "giving you poo poo" at all. its more of a taste/atmosphere thing, not some sort of judgement or punishment. there's nothing immoral about rain or storms.

and if the rain bothers you the game even gives you a mechanic to change the weather whenever you want (the flute). the default song that you get from the beginning will clear up the skies

My problem specifically is the loud-rear end thunder claps happening so often I thought the game's weather system was broken/bugged. It wasn't having the effect of making me feel ashamed of my words and deeds.

But this isn't the only example of the game "giving me poo poo" over the stealth mechanics it railroads you into using. I remember one mission with the archer samurai where I just ran in and faced everyone head on. After the fight he still gave me poo poo for the "dishonorable way I fought" even though I didn't use stealth or assassinate anyone. Most of the game's attempts to react to the "honor" crisis Jin is going through have felt clumsy or broken so far.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm into act 3 and I'll admit the constant thunderstorms make a little more thematic sense now that I'm Batman. Like, before it felt like the game was scolding me but now it feels like I'm striking terror into the hearts of mongols.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, overall I still feel like the lightning storms were too heavy handed since most people's reactions are, "WTF is up with the weather in this game?" rather than feeling the mood.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Finally beat this game last night. That's the most fun I've had with a video game in years. I had a great time. Also, the final boss fight was so good and paid off so well it sort of brute-forced me past my quibbles with the plot.

Anything I should check out in the post game? I've already done all of the "Tales of Tsushima" missions according to the achievement I got and I've already liberated all the mongol camps on the island. Or is it time to head to DLC island?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Does the game last long enough to eventually get all the skill tree perks, or do I actually have to be pretty intentional with my technique selections?

You can max the entire tree. You just might have to deliberately seek out missions that reward you with skill points for the last handful.